Is Their An Etrade (international Share Dealing Service) In Thailand

International Brokers. This has been suggested before by reliable forum members.

The only reason I have hesitated to open an account myself is because of tax implications (dual national). I would like to set it up under my Thai PP, but for the purposes of holding foreign currency - the problem is that the Thai Banking system only allows a maximum of 100k USD - in all accounts, wherever they may be - in foreign currency deposits. I'm already at that limit, and if I opened the IB account, I don't know what the consequence would be, and I'm too lazy to find out.

P.S. For anybody who doubts that Thailand's current policy is to 'peg' to the USD, I suggest you go to any bank and start asking about large money amount/transactions. EVERYTHING is denominated in USD. All max deposits, fees, whatever, it's all relative to the USD...

• 9 months later...

Alternatively you could open an etrade account to trade the Australian market. The time difference is not significant so you can still trade during the day. An advantage to trading the Aussie market is that whatever happens on the US market the night before is usually mirrored in the Australian market the next day.

I set up an etrade account in Hong Kong to trade the US market. It's been problem free but the internet connection in Thailand does not always work at full speed so this slows the software down. The US market opens between 8:30pm and 9:30pm Thai time depending on the time of year. This can be an advantage for those who are night owls or those who work during the day and want to make some money in the evening. For those lucky enough to already have enough cash for retirement then maybe you'd rather be out in the evening enjoying yourself.