Exportng a few diamonds and jewelry to canada

• 2 weeks later...
I've an American friend who sent a 3000 US$ bracelet to her daughter in the US. First she went to declare it at the customs in BKK and used an express service. No problem. (note that it was a single piece = gift). For sending many pieces to Canada, you'll need of course a real business overthere!

Exportng a few diamonds and jewelry to Canada

Can i do this? Say, with DHL? Problems?

I must assume you are ignorant in the subject matter ie'Diamonds' My advice is to stay well clear unless you hold a Gemmological qualification and/or have at least 10yrs practical experience gained under the guidance of a expert eye,The value of 'genuine' and legal loose gems are the same throughout the world hence little or no inport tax, the only attraction of asia being the low labour cost of manufacture into jewelry. Sorry, but every time i see or hear the words diamonds with a Thailand connection it gives me the jitters.

What...you mean the Thais aren't stupid, and know exactly how much the diamonds are worth ???

Next you'll be telling me that the govt doesn't give poor Thai students gems to sell when they go abroad to study, or that yesterday wasn'nt a one day overstocked sale for farang only to help tourisim? :o

P.S. My record is two Canadians in their twenties who got stung for 4000 dollars Canadian each in a gem shop. (They were crying into their beer at a bar when I met them)

• 1 month later...

Here's some advice for you.

Please note that the Canadian Customs department will charge import duties on all items (irrelevant if it's mounted or loose gems) with a combined value over $100 Canadian. This must be paid for before delivery can be made. Remember to forewarn the friend you are sending the items to of this!

Secondly, DHL does not deal with diamonds/gemstones out of insurance purposes. You can of course still use them and declare the parcel as documents, but you then forgoes the insurance. If you are serious about this, I would recommend using FedEx. However, if you wish to avoid any hassles from the Canadian Customs department, I would recommend sending the items in normal registered mail parcels.

Finally, if you don't know what you are doing - do be careful. There are however a number of credible gem & jewelry shops on Silom road.

Secondly, DHL does not deal with diamonds/gemstones out of insurance purposes. You can of course still use them and declare the parcel as documents

That would be a very stupid thing to do!!!

Whatever I send, DHL asks me everytime to check the contents before closing the package...

I used to always buy a couple of real nice heavy karat diamond and some color stones mixed in cocktail rings when on my way home, throw the ring boxes in the trash on the plane and have them in with my change in my pocket when I went thru US customs, They always appraised for 3 or 4 times what I paid for em when my wife had them appraised for insurance.

But the way things are today,I wouldn't try it again and now the man made diamonds will fool some certified gemologists,some but not all. but like has been said,from what I know of loose stones,there is not much diff. in price here or there,not enough to pay for the risk. unless you really know what you doing..

I used to always buy a couple of real nice heavy karat diamond and some color stones mixed in cocktail rings when on my way home, throw the ring boxes in the trash on the plane and have them in with my change in my pocket when I went thru US customs

I used to do the same. Buy a couple of rings and wear them. Customs is not going to question you about this.

As for DHL, I tried to use them in the past to send gem and jewelry items to Sweden, and they always denied the request. Perhaps they have changed policy now!

Bought from many dealers on the Silom Mahesak area such as BKJ Gems and Thaigem without any problems.