Windows Xp Prof. Regional Problem

Richard-BKK

Last weekend one of my notebook was messed-up by a computer virus, no problem I was thinking. So I did a clean, fresh reinstall (deleted the partition and formatted the whole things), after the complete install which went without any problems I upgraded the installation to SP3 from the original SP3 CD.

The problem is that when I try to run Windows Update, and asked to validate my installation I will not validate as my serial is not from this region?

What is indeed correct I bought this notebook in the USA, and I was told it had international warranty. So anyway this whole regional thing has to be something very new as I reinstalled the same notebook not more then one month ago with the same CD's without problems....

Anybody has similar problems?

(P.S. I have a official Windows XP Prof. CD and Serial)

Edited by Richard-BKK

Indeed, the weird part is that I have two identical notebooks, bought one for my g/f and one for myself... The g/f computer I reinstalled and with the fresh install I get the region message, the other notebook bought in the same shop has no problems accessing Windows Update...?

If your Netbook was having a hidden partition with all software and drivers on it and you deleted that partition as well, you can't use the CD-Key which was coming with your Netbook.

If you have the original CD from the Netbook Manufacturer, there shouldn't be a problem.

The real problem is, in case you use an (even original) CD other than exactly that version which was installed on the Netbook, you will face the problem with WGA Validation, which you did already.

The most easy way for to bypass that problem is to go to the Service Outlet of the Netbook Manufacturer like MSI, Acer pp. and let the set back the Netbook to it's original stage. If the hidden partition still exist, you can just set back the Netbook to it's vergin stage!

If you have on other original MS CD with that Windows version, you'll need to use the CD-Key related to that version. Any other key will NOT work.

Cheers.

The notebook had never a hidden partition, and Windows XP Professional comes in the form of two carton sheets with a CD in between. The carton is printed as you would expect with Microsoft stuff.

So, that just means that you have the original (OEM) CD of the Windows Version which was installed and the corresponding CD-Key, located on the Sticker (Certificate of Authority)!

Why you than should have any problem with a new installation?

In this case I would call to MS (use the 800 number I posted sometime before to connect toll free) and clear online what's the problem and solve with them! Time zones or some like that didn't have any negative effect on Windows!

Cheers.

Time zones or some like that didn't have any negative effect on Windows!

Yawn, not again. :D

You sure seem to know everything. :o

Google, first search result...

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/g...3-35dce66fafd2/

Open the motherboard BIOS and set the time to the correct date and time.

You can to go www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag to verify your time settings.

I double checked and my bios date was one day off. I didn't noticed earlier because time was perfect. My suggestion to others: double check BIOS time AND date.
Edited by surface

If you do a clean reinstallation from your OEM CD, the time zone and some like that didn't matter! But you will need the OEM CD which was coming with your Notebook to use the provided CD-Key.

CD-Keys provides with preinstalled Windows version are using a Manufacturer Corporate Key and they are preactivated already. The manufacturer of the Notebook would have slightly modified that Windows version so it could installed on and computer from that manufacturer only. At this stage the Bios (code) are involved for to finalize the installation and activation.

So, to install a DELL OEM version of Windows on an ASUS computer or any other brand or vice versa wouldn't work. That Windows version will compare the version in use and the corresponding CD-Key with the BIOS Code of that computer where you like to install that Windows.

Cheers.

I think you should read post #3 again.

Maybe you could realize that I wrote to use the CD which was coming with THAT Notebook in question and not any other CD!

Two identical Notebooks didn't exist just only slightly indentical but differs in many things which maybe checked with that OEM Version of windows which was modified by the Notebook Manufacturer.

Just a different version of the system BIOS like in the version of that BIOS, can result in installation problems! While using an original Microsoft version instead of an OEM, you'll never face that problem!

An OEM CD with open code, which mean not an bundled from an Manufacturer, will also not have that problem!

Cheers.

I agree, but the problem is the OP hasn't been back to clarify and his first post was a little vague. There are too many things we have to assume here. The OP stated issues with WGA validation, not activation. I was assuming Windows activation was over and done with, but you may be correct in that he never activated it.

If the problem was with activation, then using the same serial number for both installations could be the cause of the issue. The OP might have tried to be clever and bought 1 netbook installed with XP, and another installed with Linux. If he used the Windows serial # from the XP netbook on the Linux netbook then Windows activation likely would have failed.

If his installation of XP was successfully activated, then the problem is with WGA validation, not activation. In that case I still think he should make sure his BIOS time, OS time, and time zone are correct.

Until the OP comes back to update us on his progress or answer these questions we can't be 100% sure of any possible solution to his issue.

Edit: Actually, I don't think activation even occurs with a OEM installation CD, and you don't have to enter a serial #, but it could be different with different brands of computers. If he did what I mentioned above, about using the CD from an XP netbook on a Linux netbook, then I'm not certain if it would even install. Depends on how the manufacturer configured the system and installation CD. If it did install correctly, then he could be running into the WGA validation issue since he never had to activate XP. We still have to wait for an update to sort this all out.

Edited by surface

I agree, but the problem is the OP hasn't been back to clarify and his first post was a little vague. There are too many things we have to assume here. The OP stated issues with WGA validation, not activation. I was assuming Windows activation was over and done with, but you may be correct in that he never activated it.

If the problem was with activation, then using the same serial number for both installations could be the cause of the issue. The OP might have tried to be clever and bought 1 netbook installed with XP, and another installed with Linux. If he used the Windows serial # from the XP netbook on the Linux netbook then Windows activation likely would have failed.

If his installation of XP was successfully activated, then the problem is with WGA validation, not activation. In that case I still think he should make sure his BIOS time, OS time, and time zone are correct.

Until the OP comes back to update us on his progress or answer these questions we can't be 100% sure of any possible solution to his issue.

Edit: Actually, I don't think activation even occurs with a OEM installation CD, and you don't have to enter a serial #, but it could be different with different brands of computers. If he did what I mentioned above, about using the CD from an XP netbook on a Linux netbook, then I'm certain if it would even install. Depends on how the manufacturer configured the system and installation CD. If it did install correctly, then he could be running into the WGA validation issue since he never had to activate XP. We still have to wait from an update to sort this all out.

No, normally the OEM Manufacturer version are preactivated already and you even don't need to key in the CD-Key, except for a very few Manufacturer!

In case he obtain a original License, bought together with THAT Notebook, he should contact MS as mentioned before in an other of my post's, if he faces WGA problems!

The time zone and location doesn't matter anyway. Regarding the OS-Time and Date, it matter if the C-Mos had loose it data or the C-Mos battery were down, you'll need to enter the BIOS info for to set the new Date and Time which should be just differs from the "reset" time of the BIOS. It didn't matter you'll use the real time or any other, it just must differs from that "reset" time!

If he used the Windows version from an different computer, the use of that windows on that computer isn't legal, even if that Windows version is an legit one!

Fact is that you're legal only to use the bundled Windows version on that computer with which that Windows version was purchased, any other use is illegal! That's just pure theory and the praxis shows different but in cases like the one from the OP, this could easy be the weakpoint.

Not so long time ago I was testing that WGA problem with MS. I was using an corporate (fixed code) Version to install on an computer with an different Bios. I had to call to MS and even I was supplying them with all the details of the Certificate of Authority of an purchased (OEM open code) version I couldn't get that version activated. The reason for to use that version was very easy: I had to repair an existing damages version of XP but couldn't afford to loose any of the data and settings and from that CD I was able to run an Repair! In the end I had to wait for the CD which was coming with that computer to get everything back to work. And both version were strictly legal!!

Cheers.

With two identical notebooks I mean I walked into a shop in Miami Beach and said I want two of those notebooks. The manufacturer is a well known Taiwanese OEM manufacturer called Clevo. The notebooks came without operating system, therefore the shop included two Windows XP Professional OEM packs with it, costed little less then US$ 100...

I called Microsoft, and they are indeed very polite and helpful, but until now we have not located the problem...

With two identical notebooks I mean I walked into a shop in Miami Beach and said I want two of those notebooks. The manufacturer is a well known Taiwanese OEM manufacturer called Clevo. The notebooks came without operating system, therefore the shop included two Windows XP Professional OEM packs with it, costed little less then US$ 100...

I called Microsoft, and they are indeed very polite and helpful, but until now we have not located the problem...

One time MS was asking for to get an copy of the certificate of authority by FAX.

But that means that you have an OEM open code Version and NOT an corporate (manufacturer) version. That shouldn't be any problen m at all!

Maybe you need to change the C-Mos Battery in that Notebook, the problem could come from there.

I would suggest to go to the Seller/Shop where you bought that Notebook and let them check it out an deal with that!

Cheers.

I remember hearing that many people were having problem with Windows Update around XP SP3 time (though I've had many issues with SP2 and WU as well way back when). These problems are due to certain dll's being unregistered or not registered by the SP3 installation. Sort of a hit n miss thing, as it would happen sometimes, randomly, and not others. Try out the following page and see if it works for you.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

The time zone and location doesn't matter anyway. Regarding the OS-Time and Date, it matter if the C-Mos had loose it data or the C-Mos battery were down, you'll need to enter the BIOS info for to set the new Date and Time which should be just differs from the "reset" time of the BIOS. It didn't matter you'll use the real time or any other, it just must differs from that "reset" time!

Saying that time doesn't matter to any OS on a network is ridiculous. Kerberos and SSL certs are just two security tools that will not work if the time is off by more than a certain amount. Network time servers aren't there simply for logging and making sure people are on time for their appointment, many security methods are dependent on computers having the proper time. This being said, WU and WGA use SSL and having improper time will cause them to spit out errors. While it may or may not be the cause of the OPs problem, it most certainly is for many people when having issues with WU and WGA.

Edit: Meant WGA, not WPA. :o

Edited by surface

Saying that time doesn't matter to any OS on a network is ridiculous. Kerberos and SSL certs are just two security tools that will not work if the time is off by more than a certain amount. Network time servers aren't there simply for logging and making sure people are on time for their appointment, many security methods are dependent on computers having the proper time. This being said, WU and WGA use SSL and having improper time will cause them to spit out errors. While it may or may not be the cause of the OPs problem, it most certainly is for many people when having issues with WU and WGA.

Edit: Meant WGA, not WPA. :o

Hey hey hey, calm down!

We talking about Windows XP and NOT about Keberos pp! And the problem with time occurs in most (99%+) cases if the CMOS settings are changed while the Battery fails. And I can set the time different from the real time and windows works well except I set the time to the BIOS default time!

Test it by yourself and you can see how it works!

Cheers.

Edit: Meant WGA, not WPA. :D

Hey hey hey, calm down!

We talking about Windows XP and NOT about Keberos pp! And the problem with time occurs in most (99%+) cases if the CMOS settings are changed while the Battery fails. And I can set the time different from the real time and windows works well except I set the time to the BIOS default time!

Test it by yourself and you can see how it works!

Cheers.

Am I not calm? :o Anyway...

You happened to have skipped over the whole SSL issue I mentioned with regards to WU & WGA, which both use SSL. If you don't understand how SSL certs and time are related, I suggest you do some reading on the topic.

Am I not calm? :o Anyway...

You happened to have skipped over the whole SSL issue I mentioned with regards to WU & WGA, which both use SSL. If you don't understand how SSL certs and time are related, I suggest you do some reading on the topic.

Theory and praxis are two different worlds. As knowledgeable as you show you are, you should know that very very well. All answers I gave and will give in the future, are the result from practical testing which many times completely different from the theory written down somewhere.

It's up to you to have a different meaning and for sure different experiences I don't mind about that. But one thing: you can't tell anything about what's the results of my own testings, which I would be able to show at everytime someone like to claim that I'm wrong!