Bangkok Dangerous

Marksamui

All you people hating on this movie are just movie snobs!

Yeah! Why would anyone not like a p1ss-poor movie? Unless it was to prove how clever they are. Snobs!

As someone else mentioned please go see the original Bangkok Dangerous not the shit hollywood copy.

And while u're there get a copy of Om Bak 1 and Tom yam Gung..

Yeah! Why would anyone not like a p1ss-poor movie? Unless it was to prove how clever they are. Snobs!

As someone else mentioned please go see the original Bangkok Dangerous not the shit hollywood copy.

It's about Quality, as with a good Pizza!

I'm a Cage fan, but could only sit through about 20 mins of this before reaching for the off button. A bad film in pretty much all departments. Also the Thai male lead is a terrible actor and up against Cage just looks silly. Don't know what Cage was thinking of getting involved in this disaster.

I quite enjoy watching Nicholas cage in most of his movies. He does a great job.

One gripe about the movie is the Title!!! There is already a movie made a few years ago in Bangkok called Bangkok Danerous. It's a thai movie about a deaf thai guy getting caught up in Bangkok criminal life. It was pretty good and I found it in the Foreign Language section of the video store with the other action asian movies.

But most of you guys didnt know it and the same goes with the rest of the world so they just stole the name. Of well, good movie. I want to see those places they visited too.

The original Bangkok Dangerous was a 1999 film written and directed by the Pang brothers (Danny and Oxide) of Hong Kong but set in Thailand and which used an all Thai cast. It was primarily a low budget art house film which received good reviews internationally. The newer Bangkok Dangerous was a poor remake of the original with lots of script changes. It was primarily made to capitalize on the Nicholas Cage brand name and was thoroughly panned by the critics. The name was not stolen. I'm sure the Hollywood film company paid the Pang brothers quite well to use it...

Indeed the movie is a rescripted version of the original to suit Nicholas Cage and a wider audience. The Pang brothers actually directed the new version also, with Hollywood backing.

IMHO I have enjoyed a few Cage films like, Wild at Heart, The Rock and Lord of War. I like to see films that have been shot in Thailand to see how different directors picture Thailand in the context of their film.

:o

I watched it a couple of nights ago.

It's not a classic, but I enjoyed it location spotting and my wife enjoyed it because it gave her the chance to see Thai actors and Thai food hmmmm.

Has anyone seen the original Thai version? I keep meaning to get hold of a copy.

If she wants to see Thai actors, show her the original version of Bangkok Dangerous in which basically all actors are Thai. I enjoyed that film quite a bit. The one with Cage is a remake of the original, though most here probably know that.

Didn't you read the post you quoted :o

Thanks though. As I mentioned, I'd like to see the original. A mate has a copy, but havn't got round to getting hold of it. It's also the same directors for both films.e

Ong Bak is a good film - and I guess you know, given you call it the first film, a sequel has just been filmed. I don't know if it has been released as yet, but I haven't seen it.

Tom yam gung (Warrior King in The UK) is ok, but I didn't like it as much. I watched it because I enjoyed Ong Bak with Tony Jaa and also because it was a chance to see another Thai movie.

• 2 weeks later...
Saw the film Bangkok Dangerous last night as wondered if anyone knew:

1 What is the name of and where is the resturant that he goes for a Thai meal with the deaf girl is?

2 Where is the cave temple that he goes to with the Thai girl?

Anyone who has seen the film should know where I am talking about.

Thanks

i'm not sure about the cave but the restaurant is as BalHal mentioned. Nathong Restaurant at Hui-kwang and its just directly opposite Caribbean where all the dancers and clubs scene are filmed. In fact they used the real name of the club in the movie which is "Caribbean", if you get to Hui-Kwang or Meng Zhai as some local will call the area, you won't miss both the club and restaurant :o

I watched bangkok dangerous a few nights ago. thought it was slightly worse than absolutely awful.

cage rivals dicaprio for hollywood's most over-rated actor award. love story with the deaf girl was sooooooo cheesy and the film in general was amateur-ish IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Ong Bak is a good film - and I guess you know, given you call it the first film, a sequel has just been filmed. I don't know if it has been released as yet, but I haven't seen it.

Tom yam gung (Warrior King in The UK) is ok, but I didn't like it as much. I watched it because I enjoyed Ong Bak with Tony Jaa and also because it was a chance to see another Thai movie.

Another Thai movie maybe worth checking out is Som Dam. That big swede is back again(forget his name). I think the movie shows a great Thai sense of humour:-)

Heard the Swede can speak really good Thai(but I've never heard him in any movies)

• 2 months later...

You know, some people I just don't understand. Why they call something a bad movie, I've heard this for other great movies to, some movies have a certain storyline or tell something, some folks just don't understand at all. For instance: The Hulk 2003 Directed by Ang Lee and the new The Incredible Hulk 2008. Most folks like 2008, while it's absolutly shitless in everyway with no storyline. The Ang Lee version shows the emotion storyline very good, what's missing in the only action based new one. Offcourse everybody has it's own taste.

• 2 years later...
I saw them filming it in the witches tavern on thong lor about 2 years ago, I remember they made a huge fuss because Nicholas Cage was there... I haven't bothered seeing the movie yet but maybe thats it.

Just googled Witches Tavern and I don't think that is the one. The resturant looked to be on the edge of a lake (maybe the river?).

BTW - the movie is pretty good. I enjoyed it.

their called cave buddha .

Is the movie good?

It's got Nic Cage in it!!! Of course it's not good, when has he starred in a good movie? He is the most over-rated ham in Hollywood. The guy is an idiot with family connections

Leaving Las Vegas, oscar for best actor. :whistling:

...Don't know what Cage was thinking of getting involved in this disaster.

Ahhhh ...how about a FAT paycheck !

Guy like Cage has a dozen or so movie offers on any given day, and i'm sure they all pay well. He's rich enough to pick and choose what he wants to work on. Why he chose this one remains a mystery to me. Rare moment of bad judgement is all i can think of.

As an aside, what made you ressurrect a two year old thread about an even older movie?

In fact they used the real name of the club in the movie which is "Caribbean", if you get to Hui-Kwang or Meng Zhai as some local will call the area, you won't miss both the club and restaurant :o

Just to update the two year old thread - Caribbean Dance Club is history now. Never been in there, but drive thru Mieng Jai every day and the neon sign is gone / lights are out for months now.