Retirement Extension - Phuket

Today I went to the Phuket immigration office to get my first 1-year retirement extension on my O-A visa. I had gone to BKK a week ago and obtained a certifying letter from my embassy there confirming that I had the qualifying pension income. I went there not totally prepared with everything, but I had my passport, pension letter and Thai bankbook. When I got there about 1/2 hour after they opened in the morning, it was getting busy, but they have a separate counter to handle retirement extensions and a few other things and it was not as busy as the main counter where it seemed most were processing short term extensions. It wasnt long before I was assisted, and even though I didnt even have the proper form or the necessary photograph, the clerk provided the form, helped me fill it out, told me I also needed a photo for the form and photocopies of my bankbook and passport, both of which were available in a small building adjacent to the main immigration building... A 5 minute visit there and a run to the nearest ATM to get the 1900 baht fee and I was back at the immigration office with everything I needed. When I went back in, I noticed by then they had two English speaking caucasians working there, sort of screening everyone as they first came in, finding out what they were there for and making sure they had all the necessary documents before they got in the queue which I thought was quite helpful. I didnt have to re-queue when I went back in, and in about another 10 minutes, I was all processed and out of there with my visa extension approved. From beginning to end, it only took about 45 minutes, including my run to the ATM...

On the way out, I asked the clerk about getting a re-entry permit, as I will make a return trip to Canada and back before my visa expires and I wanted to know if I could get the permit in BKK on my way back or if I had to get it in Phuket, which according to the new regulations that I read, I understand the permit has to be obtained in the area that I am residing (which is Patong/Phuket) and the response I got was "either is ok... up to you..". That phrase is all too familiar to me here in Thailand and I think I will be seeking further clarification before I need to get the permit, or just not take any chances and get it here in Phuket before I leave on my way back to Canada.

All in all, it was an easy experience and less complicated or time-consuming than I expected. Now I only need to repeat that process once a year before it expires and need no more visas or visa runs to continue living here... i like it... :o

Sunluvr, I can't quite understand the part about your wanting to get the re-entry permit in Bangkok on your way from Phuket to Canada. Will you spend some days in Bangkok and would like to visit the immigration office in Soi Suan Phlu? If you notify the Bangkok immigration office of your change of address to Bangkok then you live within the service area of that office and will have to get your re-entry permit there.

See this topic about immigration offices and their service areas:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Strict-Immig...as-t242451.html

--

Maestro

You could of applied for your re-entry permit at the same time you got your extension.

A re-entry permit is valid for the length of your permit to stay. It has blanks for planned travel dates on the form but those do not matter once they put the stamp in your passport. You just choose a date to fill in blanks.

You should get your re-entry permit in Phuket.

TM 8 download here: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm8.pdf

Ahh ok, that's good to know... no big deal either... another trip to the Phuket immigration office before I leave is not a problem... now I will know for nest time.. :o My original thinking was that I could get the re-entry permit at Suvarnabhummi immigration control gate on the way home, but I guess that option doesn't exist any more...

You could of applied for your re-entry permit at the same time you got your extension.

A re-entry permit is valid for the length of your permit to stay. It has blanks for planned travel dates on the form but those do not matter once they put the stamp in your passport. You just choose a date to fill in blanks.

You should get your re-entry permit in Phuket.

TM 8 download here: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm8.pdf

No more getting one at the airport the office is now closed,

A lot of people make it part of the routine for their extensions to get a multiple re-entry permit (3800 baht) so they don't have to wory about it until their next extension. That way they can make as many trips as they want whether they are planned or not.

• 2 years later...

Sunluvr, I can't quite understand the part about your wanting to get the re-entry permit in Bangkok on your way from Phuket to Canada. Will you spend some days in Bangkok and would like to visit the immigration office in Soi Suan Phlu? If you notify the Bangkok immigration office of your change of address to Bangkok then you live within the service area of that office and will have to get your re-entry permit there.

See this topic about immigration offices and their service areas:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Strict-Immig...as-t242451.html

--

Maestro

Sun or anyone else,

Does anyone have a recent story about converting a NON-IMM O VISA to retirement extension @ Phuket Immigration Office?

Specifically, I am interested in the following:

1. How many photos do they want?

2. How many copies of the Passport did they require? Did they want copies of all the Passport pages? Or just the Photo/Info pages?

3. If you were using the income verification method, did they want to see a bank book as well?

4. Did they ask you to show A Thai ATM card?

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can give.

Bill

Sun or anyone else,

Does anyone have a recent story about converting a NON-IMM O VISA to retirement extension @ Phuket Immigration Office?

Specifically, I am interested in the following:

1. How many photos do they want?

2. How many copies of the Passport did they require? Did they want copies of all the Passport pages? Or just the Photo/Info pages?

3. If you were using the income verification method, did they want to see a bank book as well?

4. Did they ask you to show A Thai ATM card?

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can give.

Bill

from 6 months ago......

Visa Extension

1. 1 photo attached to Extension form

2. 1 copy of passport front page, entry stamp, O visa and departure card

3. 1 original income verification statement with embassy/consulate stamp and signature with original letter from Superannuation/Pension/Banking organisation etc

4. No bank book required.

5. Copy of front of thai ATM card.

Original and copy of Rental Agreement or Utility Account to show residential address if required.

Re-Entry Permit

1. 1 photo attached to Re-entry form

2. 1 copy of passport front page, entry stamp, original O visa, new extension visa and departure card

Good luck

sanuk

Been telling people for years about Phuket Immigration. Nice people and quick to get things done. I always get at least one re entry when i redo my yearly extension for the times i need it. I know for sure i will leave the country at least once/year and even if i didn't to save 1,000 baht an lose the visa/extension cause i had to leave quick not worth it.

Never been asked for an atm card or where my money came from ( in past 9 years it has ALWAYS been deposited from inside Thailand, never wired in.

For re entry they only need copy front page of ur passport an copy of new extension, ( means a trip downstairs after u get ur next extension to make the copy)and one pic

Edited by phuketrichard