Farang Kids Being Raised By The Isaan Nanny

dave9988

Ive never been able to understand this phenomenon. Rich parents pay someone with no education to raise their children for them. The fact that they are wealthy suggests that you are educated, therefore, how do they come to this decision? You cannpt go to the Phrom Pong area without seeing this. Half the time, the nanny will be chatting wildly with another nanny while the children walk behind them. You even see the farang children speaking degrees of fluent Thai and Isaan. Why do people have children if they have no interest in actually raising and caring for them?

Also, for those of you with teenage farang kids in high school and middle school here, can you pretty please tell them to Shut the F@## up in the movie theaters? I had to embarrass a couple of them the other day, and I know its not good for their self esteem, but since you have not taught them simple manners, I guess I have to. Please, do a better job raising your kids here inbetween all your "working late" nights.

Edited by dave9988

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ive never been able to understand this phenomenon. Rich parents pay someone with no education to raise their children for them. The fact that they are wealthy suggests that you are educated, therefore, how do they come to this decision? You cannpt go to the Phrom Pong area without seeing this. Half the time, the nanny will be chatting wildly with another nanny while the children walk behind them. You even see the farang children speaking degrees of fluent Thai and Isaan. Why do people have children if they have no interest in actually raising and caring for them?

Also, for those of you with teenage farang kids in high school and middle school here, can you pretty please tell them to Shut the F@## up in the movie theaters? I had to embarrass a couple of them the other day, and I know its not good for their self esteem, but since you have not taught them simple manners, I guess I have to. Please, do a better job raising your kids here inbetween all your "working late" nights.

aren't you just a delight?

why is it wrong for a child raised in thailand to be fluent in thai, farang or otherwise? And how does having a lesser educated nanny equate to ignorance or neglect?

i think the problem here is your own predjuice and snobbery.

and why are you focusing on farang children? i have heard many a noisy thai teen.

I suspect you are just a miserable git. focus on your own children.

I would never even consider sending my daughter up-country.

Asides from the education factor there are other things, the thing that cemented my decision was one day when my wife's (now estranged) grandmother was laughing whilst watching my young daughter play with a plastic bag over her head.

I also insist that my daughter is in an environment where English is spoken all of the time, she will learn Thai at school and by the fact that she is in Thailand. Children learn very quickly when they are young and so it will be a waste to put them in an environment where they absorb little of use.

I really don't understand why so many parents do it, for a week or two to visit the family then maybe but asides from that I think that it is just lazy and shirking responsibilities.

There is no excuse for it either. My wife and I look after our daughter alone with no help, whilst both working full time and on a limited budget living in a studio apartment. Did somebody tell these parents that bringing up kids would be easy?

why is it wrong for a child raised in thailand to be fluent in thai, farang or otherwise? And how does having a lesser educated nanny equate to ignorance or neglect?

and why are you focusing on farang children? i have heard many a noisy thai teen.

Hmmm... Why send your kids to schools with educated teachers to teach them, why not let the janitor teach them? Level of education of the person raising the child has no bearing on the person the child will turn into, right?

Magio6 is that you?

troll much?

Yeah yeah troll blah blah. But the thing is that the OP has a valid point. Why do some expats spend a fortune in Paragon while in the same time tend to hire the cheapest nanny available? Why not hire someone that is fluent in Thai and speak passable English? OK, maybe a bit more expensive but in the end their kid wouldn't talk and write English like me:)

Because Isaan, specially from the uneducated nanny, is considered everywhere as low class.

And you can expect that the child get a lot stupid things "black people are ugly" or all that stupid magic blabla....

Is almost 'impossible' to hire one who fluent in both Thai & English to be just a nanny, IMO

Babysitter is considered to be a job for low-educated people, lowest wages in Thailand.

Farangs got Issan to be their kid's nanny,

but Thai got Burmese, my sis got one :o

Can u imagine how her little monkey would speak?

Is almost 'impossible' to hire one who fluent in both Thai & English to be just a nanny, IMO

Babysitter is considered to be a job for low-educated people, lowest wages in Thailand.

but Thai got Burmese, my sis got one :D

:o

sending your child to a private school ... after school programs 3-4 times a week and other school activities. Why would you possibly need multiple language fluency in a nanny or a maid?

but Thai got Burmese, my sis got one :o

So, when a Thai version of Nanny 911?!? :D

Hmmm... Why send your kids to schools with educated teachers to teach them, why not let the janitor teach them? Level of education of the person raising the child has no bearing on the person the child will turn into, right?

Schools are not the topic. The topic is the nanny.

My nanny hails from surin, she is distant family and she has done a wonderful job of educating my daughter in thai. i certainly could have done alot worse with some of the "trained" english speaking nannies i interviewed and tried on probation before finding her.

My wife and i speak english and my daughter switches between the two.

School is a different matter and i will be paying through the nose for that.

but Thai got Burmese, my sis got one :D

Based on all your postings Ms Apple, it does beg the question,,,,which kind of monkey raised you? :o sorry, JK. :D

Magio6 is that you?

yes, i have had multiple IDs since 2006

Magio6 is that you?

yes, i have had multiple IDs since 2006

Hahaha I love people who can take things on the bright side :o . Next time beers on me. PM if you're heading to the TV meeting in Huntsman.

Edited by Hawkup2000

so when a group of kids are yelling to the next group of kids in a different row in a theater and ruining the experience for the rest of the audience, and I tell them to stop, I am embarrassing myself?

No! You just Got NY on them, good for you. I would of done the same thing. Its like we all Paid the same amount to watch a movie, not to make noise and act up inside the theater. If you want to act up, pls do it some where else, is that too much to ask from these "noise delinquents"?

I totally agree with you. I have kids of my own and have not regretted spending so much time with them. Fortunately, I have a job that is not a ball crusher and allows me to spend time with the kids. It is a conscious decision I made as I did not want to have a high paying job that would take me away from my kids.

I don't understand this fear that kids won't pick up languages. My kids are perfectly able to passa Thai, wow low and speak English depending on context.

They are in bi-lingual school now, but may go onto international at some point. However, on the basis that they will probably work here more than overseas, parents please bear in mind that the choices of undergrad study in Thailand are greatly reduced if they go to international school.

I wouldn't send them up country in isolation, but simple exposure and disciplined repetition and away they go.

Asides from the education factor there are other things, the thing that cemented my decision was one day when my wife's (now estranged) grandmother was laughing whilst watching my young daughter play with a plastic bag over her head.

I also insist that my daughter is in an environment where English is spoken all of the time, she will learn Thai at school and by the fact that she is in Thailand. Children learn very quickly when they are young and so it will be a waste to put them in an environment where they absorb little of use.

I really don't understand why so many parents do it, for a week or two to visit the family then maybe but asides from that I think that it is just lazy and shirking responsibilities.

There is no excuse for it either. My wife and I look after our daughter alone with no help, whilst both working full time and on a limited budget living in a studio apartment. Did somebody tell these parents that bringing up kids would be easy?

Over my dead body would i allow my Daughter to go up there permanently, i wouldn't even be too happy about for a visit without me & i don't wnat to go there in the slightest as i don't class myself as " being " with Mum any more anyway ..

Again & you pointed it out with regards to the Grandmother, Thai's in my opinion don't seem to sense danger & if that's putting my Daughter health in jeapordy, it simply isn't going to happen whilst i'm alive & kicking.

I also agree with your thinking behind the Thai/English Language that you wrote, fortunately i'm currently in a position to that i'm able to send my Daughter to an International School that speaks English first & foremost as i belive that's most important in my book.

She can learn Thai as she goes along here in Thailand which by my understanding of it, isn't THAT hard to learn to get right, unlike English, especially when Mum speaks the broken English ( appaling ) like she does..

Yeah yeah troll blah blah. But the thing is that the OP has a valid point. Why do some expats spend a fortune in Paragon while in the same time tend to hire the cheapest nanny available? Why not hire someone that is fluent in Thai and speak passable English? OK, maybe a bit more expensive but in the end their kid wouldn't talk and write English like me:)

100% agree.

I know a few just like that.

Some of them are so God dam_n cheap that they even hire illegal immigrants as well.

Just to put the price down.

Wife does nothing, but shopping, with 2 (Burmese) nannies for 2 kids.

I stopped visiting them.

Over my dead body would i allow my Daughter to go up there permanently, i wouldn't even be too happy about for a visit without me & i don't wnat to go there in the slightest as i don't class myself as " being " with Mum any more anyway ..

Again & you pointed it out with regards to the Grandmother, Thai's in my opinion don't seem to sense danger & if that's putting my Daughter health in jeapordy, it simply isn't going to happen whilst i'm alive & kicking.

I also agree with your thinking behind the Thai/English Language that you wrote, fortunately i'm currently in a position to that i'm able to send my Daughter to an International School that speaks English first & foremost as i belive that's most important in my book.

She can learn Thai as she goes along here in Thailand which by my understanding of it, isn't THAT hard to learn to get right, unlike English, especially when Mum speaks the broken English ( appaling ) like she does..

Mum should only converse with the kids in Thai. That will help a lot also.

Mum should only converse with the kids in Thai. That will help a lot also.

It does Mate & to be honest, & i know it doesn't go down too well in the slightest, but i do actually say to Mum to please only speak to her in Thai as i believe in the long run it will help my Daughter immensely & to be fair, she's nearly 3 now & does differentiate between English & Thai & associate both Languages with Thai's/Non Thai's & Mum/Dad..

so when a group of kids are yelling to the next group of kids in a different row in a theater and ruining the experience for the rest of the audience, and I tell them to stop, I am embarrassing myself?

Nope ! You are doing what adults in the World hae always done..... Up until recently when somebody decided that the World now revolves around kids :o .. They were lucky not to have got a clip round the ear and be thrown out of the cinema .. Like they were when I was a teen ( not that long ago ether before you all say I'm old ) But unfortunately Thailand is going the way of the West... Kid's run amok in every public situation now.. Aircraft, cinemas, restuarants, shopping center etc.. Parents seldom check their behavior and even less often tell them to 'sssshhh!' or behave.. How long before Asia becomes like the UK where adults are too scared of the consequences to challenge unruly children..

Bring back ''seen and not heard' :D