Favorite Albums

Pablo H

I see no one has mentioned the Spice Girls!!!

It seems a lot of the people here are into the oldies scene, goes to show great music never dates. If I were to mention some of the best bands/albums, I would have to mention the following.

The Doors - The Soft Parade

Led Zepplin - The Song Remains the Same

The Jam - All Mod Cons

The Who - Quadrophenia

Nirvana - Nevermind

T-Rex - Bolan Boogie

I was never really into the 'metal' scene but Iron Maiden were O.K. if you like that type of thing. I went to see The Who back in the late eighties, the show was great but it was sad to see Townsend with an acoustic guitar and some guy behind him playing all the electric stuff, apparently he was deaf.

Edited by Pablo H

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. This Leaden Pall: Half Man Half Biscuit

2. Pills, Thrills Bellyaches: Happy Mondays

3. Happy Nightmare Baby: Opal

I think the Stone Roses were over-rated, but I liked their second album, even if nobody else did. I saw them (Stone Roses) at the International 1.

Wilson Steer

My favs can change according to who I'm listening to at the time. But, if I was to be stranded on a desert island with a beautiful Thai girl and had to choose only 3 albums, then the ones that I wouldn't have much time to play would be; :o

1. Eric Clapton - Just One Night

2. J.J. Cale - 5

3. T.Rex - Electric Warrior

If any of the above weren't available at the time then either of the following;

Bob Dylan - Desire

Bob Seger - Against the Wind

Buffy St Marie - Sweet America

Ry Cooder - Get Rhythm

The Band - The Last Waltz

Deep Purple - Stormbringer

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Marianne Faithful - Broken English

Blues Brothers - OST

3) Changes (David Bowie)

Good compilation.

I love "Diamaond Dogs" by Bowie.

I would have to say

1.Unknown Pleasures - Joy Division

2.Ramones - Ramones

3. White Light/White Heat - The Velvet Underground

4.Never Mind The <deleted> - Sex Pistols

5.Darklands - The Jesus and Mary Chain

6.The Queen is Dead - The Smiths

7.Nothing's Shocking - Jane's Addiction

8.Metal Box - Public Image Limited

Sorry can't keep it to 3.

I am surprised no :

Undertones

Iggy Pop& the Stooges

The Clash

Hank Williams Sen.

Johnny Cash

Dinosaur Junior

Talking Heads

The Beatles

Nick Drake

Tom Waits

Leonard Cohen

Elvis Presley

The thought of trying to choose 3 albums above all others since the time I started listening to music gives me a nervous breakdown.

Some of my favorite musicians were already listed: the Clash, Hendrix, the Doors, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Jane's Addiction, Led Zepplin, Marvin Gaye, and Bowie.

In terms of albums, I want to add: Prince - 1999, Nina Simone - everything, Duke Ellington - Money Jungle, Miles Davis - Kind of Blue.

Hippy <deleted>:

Any Beatles LP

Any Stones LP till Sticky Fingers

Zep I, II,III IV

New wave:

17 Seconds by the Cure

Unknown pleasures by Joy Division

Avalon by Roxy Music

Alt. Country:

Any Emmylou Harris LP

Any Lucinda Williams LP

Any Gillian Welch LP

Edited by Georgie-Porgie

As noone has mentioned any Thai music, I will say that Carabao's first album - "lung kee mao" is excellent and I would have to put it up among the Western ones. My avatar shows this album. I would have loved Marijuana's music 20+years ago if I had heard it, then again I wouldn't have understood any of the words. Then again I could never make out the words on some of those Pink Floyd ones.

Most of us live in thailand, has noone been "converted" to "Jonas" or even "Nok Noi"? :o:D:D:D:D:D:D

:D:D

Santana - Abraxas

Led Zep II

Crosby Stills Nash and Young - Deja Vu

Neil Young - Harvest

Steve Miller Band - Number 5

Stones - Aftermath

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

All Beatles

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Velvet Underground - White Light White Heat

Rory Gallagher-'Irish Tour '74'- wonderful blues guitar with his own inimitable Celtic melody influence.

Ponsak Songsaen-'Far From home'- Issan morlam, driving rhythms coupled with emotional and tuneful vocals, makes you cry and dance at the same time!

Nick Drake-'Bryter Later'- emotional, melodic gems, the guitar tunings are unique, another great album is Tim Buckley's 'Sweet Surrender', what a voice! It rivals Van Morrison's'Astral Weeks', another classic.

bannork

Best UK 10 of 100's

Leftfield - Leftism

Stone Roses - Stone Roses

Oasis - Definetly, Maybe

Prodigy - Music for The Jilted Generation

The Clash - London Calling

The Specials - The Specials

Happy Mondays - Pills 'n' Thrills & Bellyaches

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

Radiohead - OK Computer

The Music - The Music

Best US :o

Greenday - Dookie

Nirvana - Nevermind

Kings of Leon - Youth and Young Manhood

Greenday - American Idiot

and some Elvis

axis bold as love jimi hendrix

troubadour jj cale

solid air john martin

on the beach neil young

this is the sea the waterboys

Good choice Mark!

One of the best concerts I saw was the Waterboys - musthave been 15 years ago! maybe more.

John Martyn too, he was pretty boring, but great music.

The best bands live I saw were:-

1. The Buzzcocks with Joy Division supporting.

2. Ramones

3. The Cramps

4. Clint Eastwood and General Saint.

5. The Stranglers.

6. Misty in Roots.

7. Hawkwind

8. David Bowie(serious moonlight tour)

9. Ian Dury.

10. The Waterboys.

What were the best concerts you saw?

My Best Concerts would be

1. Jeff Beck ( Sheperds Bush Empire)

2. Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Lollapalooza USA

3. Van Halen ( with Dave Lee Roth) - Hammersmith Odeon

4. Robert Plant- Reading Hexagon

5. Aztec Camera - Bristol Colston Hall

6. Pearl Jam - Brixton academy

7. Bob Dylan - Brixton academy

8. Motorhead - Golddiggers Chippenahm

9. Madness - Madstock

10. Blue Oyster Cult - Paris :o

The best concert I ever saw in Thailand was INXS in Bangkok around 1993 I think. One of the few times I saw Thais going bonkers, dancing, yelling and freaking themselves silly in public.

You've never been fishing with one I take it. :o

cv

55, I love it...tutsi usually demurres when it comes to the mundane but I can't miss an opportunity to 'one up'.

September 1968 and a poorly publisized and sparsely attended concert at the Pasadena Rose Bowl (the venue for New Years Day college football games) with Janis Joplin, Joan Baez, Buffy St Marie, Country Joe and the Fish and Buddy Guy with Jr Wells. Country Joe got the crowd going with Superbird (telling President Johnson 'send you back to Texas to work on your ranch YOU MOTHERFUKCER' and there was a pitch invasion where the stage was located. Hundreds of fans po-going to the beat.

Security got the fans back to their seats but tutsi sneaked around to the performer's tent behind...pretended to move some chairs around so as to appear to be part of the crew. Got righteously loaded and listened to Joanie's set with 'A hard rains a-gonna fall' sung acoustically that brought tears then looked to see that there was some activity back stage. And lo'...it was Janis smiling and holding a rose surrounded by the adoring with autograph materials. tutsi joined the crowd and when confronted by the then Queen of rock and roll realized that I had nothing for her to write upon. She smiled and said 'Well...?'...tutsi spluttered and said 'JJJanis...ppplease sign my jacket' AND SHE TOOK MY ARM IN ONE HAND AND WROTE 'LOVE YA TUTSI FROM JANIS' upon the green nylon fabric.

tutsi's knees were weak but he managed to recover. In my delirium I hardly heard her set. Later I waved my jacket around amongst my then sordid collection of associates and screamed JANIS SIGNED MY JACKET. It was then promptly stolen.

Beat that....

55, I love it...tutsi usually demurres when it comes to the mundane but I can't miss an opportunity to 'one up'.

September 1968 and a poorly publisized and sparsely attended concert at the Pasadena Rose Bowl (the venue for New Years Day college football games) with Janis Joplin, Joan Baez, Buffy St Marie, Country Joe and the Fish and Buddy Guy with Jr Wells. Country Joe got the crowd going with Superbird (telling President Johnson 'send you back to Texas to work on your ranch YOU MOTHERFUKCER' and there was a pitch invasion where the stage was located. Hundreds of fans po-going to the beat.

Security got the fans back to their seats but tutsi sneaked around to the performer's tent behind...pretended to move some chairs around so as to appear to be part of the crew. Got righteously loaded and listened to Joanie's set with 'A hard rains a-gonna fall' sung acoustically that brought tears then looked to see that there was some activity back stage. And lo'...it was Janis smiling and holding a rose surrounded by the adoring with autograph materials. tutsi joined the crowd and when confronted by the then Queen of rock and roll realized that I had nothing for her to write upon. She smiled and said 'Well...?'...tutsi spluttered and said 'JJJanis...ppplease sign my jacket' AND SHE TOOK MY ARM IN ONE HAND AND WROTE 'LOVE YA TUTSI FROM JANIS' upon the green nylon fabric.

tutsi's knees were weak but he managed to recover. In my delirium I hardly heard her set. Later I waved my jacket around amongst my then sordid collection of associates and screamed JANIS SIGNED MY JACKET. It was then promptly stolen.

Beat that....

Sweet! :o

Ball and Chain to ya Tutsi!

ps Buddy Guy and Junior Wells made my fave Electric Blues LP.

Edited by chonabot

appreciation of popular music and the selection of favorites thereof usually occurs when one is an adolescent and associates the music with the heady times that accompany glandular activity and growing up. In 1965 I found myself displaced from surfer So Calif to Bolivia; an impoverished, landlocked country where 70% of the pop. only spoke native languages Quechua and Aymara...I couldn't even speak Spanish at the time. Previous I always liked top 40 rock and roll, Beatles, Stones Beachboys, Everly Bros, Righteous Bros, etc. But this music was unknown to locals in Cochabamba in 1965.

Hence an encounter with regional popular music. The most impressive at the time was 'Misa Criolla', an RC mass liturgy in music written and directed by argentine pianist Ariel Ramirez and performed by the argentine folk group Los Fronterizos and redolent with native andean music. This is now probably only available on website but check it out...if you didn't believe in Jesus before...

About the same time I listened to gaucho balladeer Jorge Cafrune and most anything performed by by native folk musicians. Some french guy named Cavour did some recordings of andean music that is unforgettable.

Upon return to the US in 1967 I became immersed in the popular music of the day...saw Otis Redding in concert at Vanderbilt U in Nashville a day before he was killed. Per the prevailing standard Jimi, Doors, all motown and a host of others come to mind. Also the smaller groups...Steve Miller Band, Ten Years After and Mother Earth with Tracy Nelson. Her album with Mike Bloomfield (principal with Butterfield Blues Band) as guest guitarist is an all time favorite...a white jewboy from the Chicago suburbs holding his own in badass southside Chicago. Once in North Beach in SF without money for the cover (had spent it on bottles of Red Mountain) I stood outside in the rain where I could see and hear him in a small club where he whaled on it.

About this time I guy I knew with eclectic tastes in everything came around with something called 'The Music of Bulgaria' performed mostly acapella by The National Women's Chorus of Bulgaria. Unbelieveable...dissonances blending with the most subtle melodies. I later was not surprised to read that the same music had an influence on many of the major players of the time...Miles Davis comes to mind. Sometime in the 1990s British Airways incorporated the haunting sound in one of their TV adverts. Highly recommendable...

Beauty is in the ear of the beholder...

Beat that....

Well done, Tutsi! I can't beat that one! :o

Agreed. Well done. Red Mountain wine. That takes me back. The rumor going around was it was made from cows blood. I think they got busted because it had more cane sugar in it than grapes. :D I did see the Beatles live. Candlestick Park San Francisco. Still have my ticket. All the numbers are 7s, section , row and seat. The concert did not sellout so we were able to move down and get closer. An armoured car drove out on the field. People thought they were in the truck so some jumped on the field and ran towards the truck. They weren't. They came out from the dugout. No autographs. :o

Seen in concert:

Stones, santana, led zepplin, grateful dead, the who,david bowie, frank zappa, heard jimi hendrix playing at an outdoor concert from my backyard, smokey robinson, james brown, yes, new riders of the purple sage, new order, echo and the bunnymen, janes addiction, psychedelic furrs, molly hachet...oh a gf wanted to see prince...he wasn't bad.