Smog Doubles Chiang Mai Lung Cancer Threat

george

Smog 'doubles Chiang Mai lung cancer threat'

BANGKOK: -- Due to constant exposure to seasonal smog, residents in Chiang Mai face twice the risk of lung cancer as people elsewhere, a Chiang Mai University medical lecturer said yesterday.

The annual risk rate for lung cancer among the population in the North is now 40 per 100,000 people - compared to 20 per 100,000 people in other regions, said Assoc Professor Phongthep Wiwatthanadej.

Up to 600 Chiang Mai residents will face lung cancer risk each year, out of a total population of 1.7 million people living in this northern province.

Phongthep said his theory was not supported yet by any research, but said the constant smog exposure had subjected Chiang Mai locals to lung cancer risk, especially those living in Saraphee district, where the highest risk rate was reported.

The rate suffered by women in the district was one the highest in the world, he said without elaborating.

The doctor was speaking at a local seminar held by Chiang Mai University to address the ongoing smog, which is now covering the province more heavily, causing greater health concerns for locals.

More and more cases of hospital treatment for those suffering from smog are reported, which mostly involves respiratory problems and irritation to patients' eyes.

The other provinces affected by the smog, which is caused by forest and manmade fires, are Lampang, Lamphun, Uttaradit, Phitsanulok, Sukhothai and Phetchabun.

Part of the smog is travelling from Burma.

Duangjan Arphawatcharut, a CMU researcher, said honey producers and bee farmers suffered a 70percent loss in revenue after flowers bloomed for only two days before the smog hit the North.

Global warming had been already disturbing the bees' activities beforehand.

In neighbouring Chiang Rai, the safety status will be announced in areas where dust density exceeds a safe level of 200 micrograms per cubic meter.

The existing dust density level is now far from reaching that stage but local civil disaster officers are monitoring the situation.

-- The Nation 2009-02-19

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Phongthep said his theory was not supported yet by any research." Doesn't sound too scientific. :o

But I believe it. Anyone else have burning eyes this week? Any recommendations on eye drops? It's almost impossible to wear my contacts anymore.

Edited by mnbcm

Just check out how many people report to hospitals every year due to repiratory related problems. And these are likely people with fairly serious problems as I suspect many more are getting ill but are not seeking medical care.

With all the known health problems caused by this, why would anyone in their right mind chose to live in Chiang Mai on a regular basis?

Just check out how many people report to hospitals every year due to repiratory related problems. And these are likely people with fairly serious problems as I suspect many more are getting ill but are not seeking medical care.

With all the known health problems caused by this, why would anyone in their right mind chose to live in Chiang Mai on a regular basis?

Because we like living here, of course :o

I am starting to consider spending a month or two elsewhere, during this time.

Partly because it's said that a change is as good as a holiday, and partly because of the air problem.

So, where might be good, both as a change and a place with better air?

Finland would almost certainly qualify in both respects

Dress warmly! Take lip balm!

Seriously, as anyone who has paid attention over the years, the pollution pattern developing this year is very similar to the annual seasonal pattern in this area. It is pretty gruesome for many, many people and certainly not conducive to good health or thriving tourism. There are, in Thailand, less polluted places during this season. Some comparative data (especially annual averages) have been graphed by Priceless on sites like this one. Check around and you'll find them. Off the top, inland, you'll find the Issan Plateau generally clearer; otherwise, most seaside locations with normal wind patterns.

Otherwise, whoever the reporter is who covers the environmental beat in Chiang Mai (or his/her editor) isn't exactly ready for any prizes.

Edited by Mapguy

I am starting to consider spending a month or two elsewhere, during this time.

Partly because it's said that a change is as good as a holiday, and partly because of the air problem.

So, where might be good, both as a change and a place with better air?

Finland would almost certainly qualify in both respects

Good one Chaz! My relatives have a sauna they would be willing to rent out in Kemi up north. Temperature has been running a high of -5C during the day, and and a low of -15C at night with just a bit of snow. They are pretty happy as they now have more than four hours of daylight!

In fact, my last pre-Asian location was Perth, a city Priceless has mentioned more than once. (Very popular for wealthy Asians, and for very good reasons).

Other than that, any practical suggestions?

Anyplace with rain or wind. I thought Scandanavia was an excellent and practical suggestion, but since no one but you can decide where you'd like to go, check here -- www.wunderground.com. They have historical weather data for 10,000 locations around the world.

It really is time to create artificial rainmaking ealy this year , to clear things a bit up .

I wish I had the opportunity , money and time to buy another residence down south ,

cause at this time a year it really is very disturbing indeed , but no luck for me in this regard

so we have to stick with the smog ..............

Edited by tijnebijn

You are probably right Winnie , I might have a small holiday when the term of my kid is finished .

Got things to take care of you know .....

Last week it was very bad in Chiangmai , now it seems ' normal ' for the time of the year , but you got me

thinking for a way out , been a looong time . :o

With a light touch, Chas, suggested a holiday in Finland. I seconded his suggestion, but I really would have suggested the "Little Islands" (Eigg, Rhum, Muck and Canna) of the Inner Hebrides. Hang around long enough and you can help with the lambing on Muck, then send some decent lamb to Chiang Mai for another feast.

But I wish to rain on your parade.

I have been upset before with the suggestion to "winter here, summer there" as it applies to escaping the awful seasonal problem here in Chiang Mai when air pollution is more intense. That's a rather cavalier attitude, in my view. Air pollution is a problem. Simple as that. And few people can afford to escape it. Simple as that.

Perhaps I ought to know better than to ask such a question in the CM Forum :o .

However, it was a genuine question and I was hoping for some genuine responses. A month or so away at this time of year might be fun and not drastically expensive.

(Does Private Health Insurance cover lung cancer if you live in an area known to have a high incidence?).

I don't know the South of Thailand or its coastal areas very well. Have only ever spent a few weeks at resorts on Samui. I understand that people won't be climbing over eachother to give away their favourite unspoilt locations, but a hint or two would be appreciated.

How about Malaysia? Cambodia?

Perhaps I should be asking this question in a different section of the forum?

Edited by spectrum

However, it was a genuine question and I was hoping for some genuine responses. A month or so away at this time of year might be fun and not drastically expensive.

(Does Private Health Insurance cover lung cancer if you live in an area known to have a high incidence?).

I don't know the South of Thailand or its coastal areas very well. Have only ever spent a few weeks at resorts on Samui. I understand that people won't be climbing over eachother to give away their favourite unspoilt locations, but a hint or two would be appreciated.

Go Pattaya for a break,

it is not unspoiled by any means, but the air is better :D

OK, Spectrum, how about Sulawesi? With over 5,000km of coastline, there are plenty of unspoiled beaches. Air Asia was running a sale this week and it was possible to get roundtrip fares of under 5,000 baht to either Makassar or Manado via KUL.

Go Pattaya for a break,

it is not unspoiled by any means, but the air is better :D

I don't doubt it's healthier, but it smells like an open sewer most of the time though. :D

But of course there are other attractions there.

Inevitable biased answer of a female board member.... :o

When talking about the Chiang Mai air pollution are we discussing the annual brush cutting at this time of year? I find it hard to believe that wood smoke would have a long term harmful affect (such as cancer) on most people. Living with wood smoke has been going on for centuries, with little or no affect on people.

If we are talking about mill pollution, then see few if any mills near Chiang Mai or northern Thailand. If we are talking about vehicle air pollution then it is FAR worse in all the major cities of the world.

I understand that any sort of suspended air particulate “might” be harmful for some people, but not for the vast majority.

I grew up as a child and young adult in Vancouver, BC, Canada. Vancouver is noted for its rather damp, cool climate, but moderate temperatures. It’s also noted as being a clean environment. But it wasn’t always that way.

When I was growing up in the 1940s and 50s, the people of Vancouver heated their homes with coal or wood sawdust burners. Every year there would be a temperature inversion and the wood smoke would hover over the city like a big cloud. The fog-smog was incredible and you couldn’t see 10 meters in front of you.

My sister and I actually played hide and seek in the fog on our way to school. In our game you couldn’t leave the sidewalk area, and yet we could still hide from each other. Sometimes we couldn’t see beyond 5 meters. There were hundreds of funny fog stories in those days. People had to have someone walking in front of their car just to find their way home.

I don’t recall there being any great medical problems during that era.

I know I would rather be near some sea-side resort right now, but I’ll put up with the hazy days over Chiang Mai for as long as it lasts. I do love the warm days and cool nights from November to early February.

I don't recall there being any great medical problems during that era.

Ah, the wonders of the SCIENTIFIC method!

:o:D:D

True! When I was a kid we didn't worry about such things. :D

I'm not even sure if anyone actually knew what cancer actually was in those days. I was born before there was even penicillin type drugs. You either survived infections or you died. There were few if any cures for infections other than sulpha type drugs.

In neighbouring Chiang Rai, the safety status will be announced in areas where dust density exceeds a safe level of 200 micrograms per cubic meter.

????

this is meaningless... PM10 levels? if so there is no such thing as a safe level and certainly 200 is way way above what is considered dangerous...

i get slightly annoyed when i hear that the stats say cnx air is ok.

Have the pricks that put so much store in these "stats" visited the air monitoring stations

understand when my kids cant breathe.

Today was a good day for breathing

sirancha john, you seem to want to provoke people in chiang mai into a debate which I fully

Chiang mai aint perfect............. no where is

but today it was great.

Its all about perception and being happy in my simple opinion.

It was hot though

and the mekong has nearly dried up. I want 8 kids do u think its a goood time to bring kids into this blighted planet

have u got any stas useless aka priceless.

mapguy ur last posts have been risible.