Affirmation To Marry - British Embassy

samuiseagull

Folks,

Does anyone know whether once you have completed the "affirmation to Marry" document and it has been signed off at the British Embassy, is there an expiry date as to when this document becomes out of date??

Trying to save time at a later date as marriage not going to take place for a while yet :o

Many thanks.

Folks,

Does anyone know whether once you have completed the "affirmation to Marry" document and it has been signed off at the British Embassy, is there an expiry date as to when this document becomes out of date??

Trying to save time at a later date as marriage not going to take place for a while yet :o

Many thanks.

Are you referring to the Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage?

If so, this paper should have a validity period mentioned on it. I got one from Norway. It says valid for 4 months from issue date. However, I do not know what validity period the Thai authorities accept. I hope 4 months, too.

My Affirmation of Freedom to Marry was issued by British Embassy on 10th October 2009, translated and then legalised by Ministry of Foreign Affairs on 12th December 2009 and then used to register the wedding on 19th December 2009. I used the draft provided on the embassy's website and there is no clause in it which sets a validity period for the Affirmation. the signed and stamped document I received back did not indicate that the affirmation had a validity for any length of time. My wife is a filipina and her affirmation issued by her embassy in Bangkok had a clearly specified validity of 30 days from issue. we had some fun getting a thai wedding certificate because we are both aliens but there was no issue raised about the validity or otherwise of my Affirmation of Freedom to Marry.

The answer is 6 months.

I know because on going to the Ministry for the 6th time to have it certified, they rejected it as out of date!

The previous 5 times where perceived errors in the translation..(by professional translators!).

I understand it is rare to get a signature without a bribe.

I have recently written to the PM and the Embassy suggesting the procedure is reformed. That the corrupt ministry be cut out and everything handled by the Amphur.

And that the Embassy be allowed to give out the Thai translation of the affirmation, which is the form in which they receive it from the ministry anyway!!

No reply of course.

Best of luck..and dont try without the bribe!

I am still unmarried!

Patric

I would say no longer than 30 days. After 30 days it could be considered stale dated which is the norm here.

I have never had any problem getting a certification done. English to Thai or the reverse.

Of course I did not do it myself. I paid the translator a small fee to handle that part of it. Doing it that way can save a lot of time and expense going to the MFA yourself.

What I liked most is that I did not have to wait around for it to be done I had the translator EMS the documents to me.

I understand it is rare to get a signature without a bribe.

Best of luck..and dont try without the bribe!

Really? I have never read of anybody having to bribe this department. A good customer of ours works in the management there, I'll ask her about it next time I see her. In our case she provided us with the name of a 100% reliable translation service to use and we had no problems at all and no bribe was required. The amphur was a different story though, the 'translation service' cost me 500 baht!

Do the wedding paperwork is actually one of my "jobs". I go with the couple to their respective Embassy and once they have completed that section I take over. I collect the Affirmation to Marry (usually the next day) take it to the translators and on to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs - I actually use the translation services across the road from the MFA so if there is an error I only have to go back across the road.

I have never had a problem yet with any paperwork and have never paid a bribe! I have done this about 15 times now.