Best Areas To Stay?

New2thailand

Hi there,

I'm going to Bangkok next month for business, but i don't know in which area to stay yet!

Thaiapartments.com lists some nice serviced apartments but i really have no clue if the areas are any good.

What do you recommend? Pref. a safe area, close to something like tesco lotus. Close to good nightlife would be nice too.

Where do most expats stay in Bangkok?

Thanks!

ummm Most expats stay all over BKK.

With traffic often being a major issue, staying close to where you have "business" is likely the best option.

Other than a few rough slums, most of the city is very safe when compared to cities where I moved from. Great houses are often next to cruddy old tenements here unless you get further out into gated moobaans

Hi there,

I'm going to Bangkok next month for business, but i don't know in which area to stay yet!

Thaiapartments.com lists some nice serviced apartments but i really have no clue if the areas are any good.

What do you recommend? Pref. a safe area, close to something like tesco lotus. Close to good nightlife would be nice too.

First consideration for me would be being close to Skytrain and/or subway. That will considerably shorten commutes no matter where you have to go on business. By that, I mean that if you can start off on the quick Skytrain or subway, then taxi rides will be much shorter to your final destination.

Having said that, the best area logically would be Sukhumvit Avenue (Thanon Sukhumvit) or Thanon Silom. Although, I prefer the Watergate (Pratunam) area...about a 12 minute walk to Skytrain, but right in the middle of a major shopping/restaurant area.

The foreigners in lower Suk tend to give me the creeps so I rarely get into that area.

I live out from the center by quite a bit and like it that way.

Surprisingly enough , I agree with everything you've said in this post.!

However as the original poster mentioned being close to good night life ,somewhere on the BTS rail link would probably be more suitable. Perhaps if we knew the posters budget we could be more specific :o

"Good Nightlife" === well the folks that think the nightlife is good in lower Suk are the same ones that creep me out :o

For me ... hmmmm... Ratchada/Rama9? (Subway stop, Lotus Tesco, Ratchada Soi4 and RCA close by for nightlife etc ...)

The foreigners in lower Suk tend to give me the creeps so I rarely get into that area.

However as the original poster mentioned being close to good night life ,somewhere on the BTS rail link would probably be more suitable. Perhaps if we knew the posters budget we could be more specific :o

My monthly budget for a condo is < 50.000 THB.

Hi there,

Try the Grand President on Sukhumvit soi 11. It's a service apartment. We stayed there at 38,000baht a month. I think the location is good as it is pretty close to the BTS station, about 5 minute walk out. There are a couple of bars and restaurants too, all just walking distance.

Cheers :o

Edited by hnka

Hua kwang is on the MRT, Asoke/Sukhumvit only 3 stops close to Tesco/Carrefour and Tops etc....not really upmarket but has a good atmosphere and very easy to get around. 50,000 is more than plenty...Thong Lor on BTS OK but some apartment long way down soi 55 so must need motor taxi to travel to the BTS...Soi 11 very good for bars/restaurants and BTS

Try the Grand President on Sukhumvit soi 11. It's a service apartment. We stayed there at 38,000baht a month. I think the location is good as it is pretty close to the BTS station, about 5 minute walk out. There are a couple of bars and restaurants too, all just walking distance.

Cheers :o

I like Centrepoint, although I think it's a tad more expensive. Several branches.

President Park serviced apartments on Suhhumvit 24 would be my choice if you want to be right in the middle of town - although I suspect only studio apartments will be available for Bt 50k ... Stayed there for my first couple of years in BKK and no complaints, but left as it was getting pricey.

Personally I would try Oakwood Residence down on Narathiwas 24 (Yannawa / Chong Nonsi area) - serviced apartments set in a reasonably quiet residential soi with lots of little restaurants, but walkable to Central Rama III and close to the tollway entrance. Save a bundle on rent compared to the Suk area but only about 80 Bt / 20 mins in a taxi to get up there.

If you prefer a condo to a serviced place, Bangkok Garden is next to Oakwood and is also well worth a look - the management company rent out about half the units directly which I think is easier to deal with than a private landlord... also stayed there for a couple of years and liked it a lot, only leaving when I relocated to Singapore.

Hope this helps,

CC

My monthly budget for a condo is < 50.000 THB.

With that kind of budget you will have no problem finding a nice place in any part of the city. If you have not been here before I suggest you get a map of the city to study before your arrival so that it will be easier to get your bearings when you do arrive. The Sukhumvit area is the hub of the night time scene but it a bit of a concrete jungle although there are two park fairly near at hand.

Another area you might consider is north of the Victory monument on Pahonyothin road. This will put you within easy commuting distance of the nightlife but closer to the bigger parks near the weekend market where there are about 4 kilometres of cycle tracks and plenty of cheap bicycles for rent.

Pref. a safe area, close to something like tesco lotus. Close to good nightlife would be nice too.

jd's pretty much nailed it. Rachada around Rama 9. You're not going to do better than that for the above requirements. If you go a little bit further (just past the Esplanade), there's a pretty decent apartment building on the left, set just off the main road. Can't remember what it's called, but if you stand just by the MRT exit near the RS Building and look over to the left you can see it easily. I know of a couple of people in there. A good-sized 2 bedroom can be had for around 30,000 apparently.

If your company is footing the bill, you have lots of options. And if you will only be here a short time, then take one of the serviced apartments. I used to stay at Embassy Place on Phloenchit Rd. I really liked it because it was very quiet, safe, next to the BTS, and in a good office neighborhood away from the riff raff. I couldn't hear the neighbors at all. Good central location and could walk, crawl, or stumble to the bars or even the large shopping malls. Too expensive with my own money, but on the companies money it worked great. Next door to the place is Centerpoint and I hear good things about there also. You can also check out all the places on Lan Suan Rd, but they might be a bit more pricey.

President Park serviced apartments on Suhhumvit 24

Second President Park. They're doing good deals at the moment and have a gym that works. Only drawback is it's a 15 minute walk to the skytrain.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

• 2 weeks later...

I had to create a new account because i forgot my password and e-mail addres which i registered with. :o

Mods, you can merge new2thailand with this one if you want.

Thanks for all the recommendations peeps.

So far i've:

Hnka: Grand president - sukhumvit 11

Phetaroi: Centrepoint

Captain chaos: President park - sukhumvit 24

Captain chaos: Oakwood residence - narathiwas 24

Captain chaos: Bangkok garden - next to oakwood

Kyb789: Embassy place - Ploenchit Road, Pathumwan

I'm now staying at the Citadines sukhumvit 8.

This place is not worth the 4000thb per night. I hear everything happening in the rooms next to mine because the walls are very thin. Every cough, whisper, slamming door etc. When someone's walking in the corrider it sounds like that person is walking in my room. I woke up several times last night thinking someone was in my room lol.

If it's not other visitors keeping me awake in the middle of the night, then it's the dogs outside who don't stop barking.

I really have to move out before i run down some doors and start a clean&sweep mission.

I think it's better to move to a quieter area. I work from 8 to 6 every day so i prefer a serviced or non-serviced condo where normal working people live. I know it's hard to find because most ask for a minimum year term.

I'm happy with any location as long as it's quiet at night and walking distance (max. 2km or so) from the train or metro.

When i finished my list i want to visit the apartments by taxi. How much does it cost to drive around with one taxi between let's say... 9 and 4?

Thanks again for your help.

For me ... hmmmm... Ratchada/Rama9? (Subway stop, Lotus Tesco, Ratchada Soi4 and RCA close by for nightlife etc ...)

I'll look into that.

Cheers :D

I'll take a look, but what about the noise? What kind of people stay there?

Hua kwang is on the MRT, Asoke/Sukhumvit only 3 stops close to Tesco/Carrefour and Tops etc....not really upmarket but has a good atmosphere and very easy to get around. 50,000 is more than plenty...Thong Lor on BTS OK but some apartment long way down soi 55 so must need motor taxi to travel to the BTS...Soi 11 very good for bars/restaurants and BTS
I like Centrepoint, although I think it's a tad more expensive. Several branches.

Yeah i heared about sentrepoint before, they have some branches in the USA and Europe too right?

President Park serviced apartments on Suhhumvit 24 would be my choice if you want to be right in the middle of town - although I suspect only studio apartments will be available for Bt 50k ... Stayed there for my first couple of years in BKK and no complaints, but left as it was getting pricey.

Personally I would try Oakwood Residence down on Narathiwas 24 (Yannawa / Chong Nonsi area) - serviced apartments set in a reasonably quiet residential soi with lots of little restaurants, but walkable to Central Rama III and close to the tollway entrance. Save a bundle on rent compared to the Suk area but only about 80 Bt / 20 mins in a taxi to get up there.

If you prefer a condo to a serviced place, Bangkok Garden is next to Oakwood and is also well worth a look - the management company rent out about half the units directly which I think is easier to deal with than a private landlord... also stayed there for a couple of years and liked it a lot, only leaving when I relocated to Singapore.

Hope this helps,

CC

Bangkok garden sounds interesting, but do they rent it out for 3 to 4 weeks?

welcome sir,thailand was just waiting for new farangs

come soon we all are waiting

I hope you are not being sarcastic. :D , thanks then.

jd's pretty much nailed it. Rachada around Rama 9. You're not going to do better than that for the above requirements. If you go a little bit further (just past the Esplanade), there's a pretty decent apartment building on the left, set just off the main road. Can't remember what it's called, but if you stand just by the MRT exit near the RS Building and look over to the left you can see it easily. I know of a couple of people in there. A good-sized 2 bedroom can be had for around 30,000 apparently.

that sounds good, the 2-bedrooms i've seen advertised in sukhumvit are way more expensive.

If your company is footing the bill, you have lots of options. And if you will only be here a short time, then take one of the serviced apartments. I used to stay at Embassy Place on Phloenchit Rd. I really liked it because it was very quiet, safe, next to the BTS, and in a good office neighborhood away from the riff raff. I couldn't hear the neighbors at all. Good central location and could walk, crawl, or stumble to the bars or even the large shopping malls. Too expensive with my own money, but on the companies money it worked great. Next door to the place is Centerpoint and I hear good things about there also. You can also check out all the places on Lan Suan Rd, but they might be a bit more pricey.

On my list to visit :D

Omg.... i can't sleep. My neighbour is snorring very loud. Are the walls made from paper or what?

I feel like punching through the wall, grab his head and push some pixiesticks through his nose up his brains.

Edited by new2bangkok

I think it's better to move to a quieter area. I work from 8 to 6 every day

... How much does it cost to drive around with one taxi between let's say... 9 and 4?

you don't have much choice but weekends or holidays. Godd, because the traffic is maller.

a van for a whole day is 2k + petrol, to see all those places you listed you need more than 6h from 9 to 4pm.

Do as much homework as you can on the net, through emails and phonecalls - travelling all over bangkok is just pointless

I think it's better to move to a quieter area. I work from 8 to 6 every day

... How much does it cost to drive around with one taxi between let's say... 9 and 4?

you don't have much choice but weekends or holidays. Godd, because the traffic is maller.

a van for a whole day is 2k + petrol, to see all those places you listed you need more than 6h from 9 to 4pm.

Do as much homework as you can on the net, through emails and phonecalls - travelling all over bangkok is just pointless

Yeah i didn't think about the traffic jams. I'll follow your advise and make some phonecalls.

Thanks.

Hope this helps,

CC

Bangkok garden sounds interesting, but do they rent it out for 3 to 4 weeks?

Sorry, hadn't realized it was for a relatively short stay - try Oakwood I suggest - it's next door to Bangkok Garden anyway and the layouts are very similar - I really like that soi and still keep a very small, very cheap apartment around the corner for my occasional weekend jollies to Bangkok...

Are you serious guys? 10K? Please tell me where to look because i've visited twelve serviced and un-serviced apartments and so far they've been quite disappointing.

I've visited some apartments between 10 and 30k today and most of them really need some repair and new furniture. 3 of the 4 apartments i've visited today in that pricerange had dead cockroaches lying on the floor so no way i'm going to stay there hehe.

The older "upperclass" serviced apartment buildings are kinda disappointing too. For 50 to 70k per month you get old furniture, old TV and noisy neighbours.

Maybe my expectations are a bit too high.

10k/month basic but brand new house 12 minutes taxi on the motorway from khaosan rd - see my profile. Available from today.

tesco 2km, but 7/11 5 minutes walk + daily street market. Not much else, but you have cool and fresh air, peace and garden.

Edited by londonthai