More Crime In Pattaya

Humphrey Bear

...I certainly don't feel that Pattaya is unsafe compared to most Western cities.

Nonsense. I would say Pattaya is the center of street-crime in Asia (except Manila).

Humm...I guess that's why millions of foreign and Thai tourists come every year and thousands of foreigners choose to call it home...to visit/live in the "center of street-crime in Asia." I guess all those other cities like Jakarta, Karachi, Calcutta, Columbo, Phenon Penh, etc. are idyllic in comparison :o

HB this must have been really frightening for your wife, I hope she has recovered from the ordeal. Being robbed is one thing but to be forced into a car by strangers must have scared the shit out of her.

On another matter, it sounds like thaifan is sooooooooooo jealous of you :o

I think this is the least intelligent thread I have ever read.

Not really. It's just about some unfortunate guy who is a bit worried because his wife has been assaulted and he can't be near her.

To balance that there is the "troll" (in both meanings of the term) who wants to take lowball sniper shots at the unfortunate couple for no other reason than to bring someone from a higher level down to his much lower standard of a lonely miserable life. There are misfits in all segments of society who always see the worst in everything. It says a whole lot more about the sniper than the person he is sniping at.

There are a lot of housing projects " on hold " in Patters. That means a lot of young men from the North with time on their hands. Add them to the local disaffected youth and now is a good time for all residents to take stock of their security, befriend their neighbours and continue enjoying the good life.

All the "that place is hel_l on earth " crowd, have not been to places that are. I still feel safer in Patters than my home town in the UK and even with the potential for a minor upswing in crime caused by the now, or soon to be unemployed, I can not see that changing.

There is probably a good reason why Thai men in Pattaya are upset with foreigners. The city is FULL of attractive (and some not so attractive) women looking for some action. However, the Thai men are mostly excluded from that action and it upsets them. Frustration overcomes any sense of reason and leads to all sorts of violence and crime. Of course, there is a very good reason why the recently wised-up gals won't have anything to do with most of the Thai men. Most of the girls were impregnated by Thai men who subsequently took off with no interest in supporting the family they helped start. I have heard the same story countless times from the many women I've talked to. Unfortunately, there aren't enough "nice falongs" available for all the women who are searching for one. Too often it is just another short term romance and the falong splits for home.

HB,

Obviously your missus will suffer a few nightmares after this, but thankfully not harmed physically.

Using an atm inside a bank is no guarantee, it is easy for somebody to watch and wait for you to come out, especially if they are prepared to rob somebody at 2 o/c in the afternoon.

Maybe the best place is inside a mall before doing the shopping. Maybe they are less likely to follow someone around for an hour or so until they get outside.

There is probably a good reason why Thai men in Pattaya are upset with foreigners. The city is FULL of attractive (and some not so attractive) women looking for some action. However, the Thai men are mostly excluded from that action and it upsets them. Frustration overcomes any sense of reason and leads to all sorts of violence and crime. Of course, there is a very good reason why the recently wised-up gals won't have anything to do with most of the Thai men. Most of the girls were impregnated by Thai men who subsequently took off with no interest in supporting the family they helped start. I have heard the same story countless times from the many women I've talked to. Unfortunately, there aren't enough "nice falongs" available for all the women who are searching for one. Too often it is just another short term romance and the falong splits for home.

I don't really understand your point. People become criminals because they are lazy, greedy scum, not because they aren't getting any.

Anyway, the Thai man in Pattaya are not excluded from the action, far from it. Don't believe everything that countless women have told you, some of them bend the truth a little :o

I don't really understand your point. People become criminals because they are lazy, greedy scum, not because they aren't getting any.

Anyway, the Thai man in Pattaya are not excluded from the action, far from it. Don't believe everything that countless women have told you, some of them bend the truth a little :o

My missus no longer wears any gold, always has a friend with her if she is going to the bank or ATM.

As pointed out above dont believe everything the girls are telling you 80% have Thai boy friends in town form there areas who continue to rip them off. The girls just dont learn!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about your wife's encounter HB.

Yeah, you could use ATM's in shopping malls. You could also carry a weapon on your person for when using the ATM late at night. Start with knives, then when matched move on to guns, then move on to fully automatics with a few grenades.

Or the police could do something about it.

HB, Sorry to hear about this. Many of us have a fear of something happening to our family as we go off to earn money. The police will not do anything and average person here will not take a stand against anything or anyone, truly sheep to be slaughtered.

I look forward to getting back to the States where I Open Carry a sidearm at all times to deal with dope heads and other oxygen thief's. The entire world has become dump where politicians have armed guards and make laws that further the impossibility of the little man protecting himself and family.

When I left the Philippines I told friends I would be happy to go back and live well armed and legal. I have lived in Thailand for 6 years and not until recently did I feel naked without a sidearm, how things have changed. The economy is gone to Hades and the government is nothing more than a puppet show for the ignorant and in no ways serves the people. Occasionally the government pacifies the people but that is it, a rubber tube with one thousand hastily patched holes at the beginning of a very long journey.

Edited by Mai Krap

HB, Sorry to hear about this. Many of us have a fear of something happening to our family as we go off to earn money. The police will not do anything and average person here will not take a stand against anything or anyone, truly sheep to be slaughtered.

I look forward to getting back to the States where I Open Carry a sidearm at all times to deal with dope heads and other oxygen thief's. The entire world has become dump where politicians have armed guards and make laws that further the impossibility of the little man protecting himself and family.

When I left the Philippines I told friends I would be happy to go back and live well armed and legal. I have lived in Thailand for 6 years and not until recently did I feel naked without a sidearm, how things have changed. The economy is gone to Hades and the government is nothing more than a puppet show for the ignorant and in no ways serves the people. Occasionally the government pacifies the people but that is it, a rubber tube with one thousand hastily patched holes at the beginning of a very long journey.

If you're going to carry a gun would n't you want to wear a kevlar vest(can you buy them legally in the USA?)cos if the USA ends up like one big OK corral then i would think its a given to wear one.

Anyway, the Thai man in Pattaya are not excluded from the action, far from it. Don't believe everything that countless women have told you, some of them bend the truth a little :D

:o:D:D

I understand what you are saying, but it is the combination of everything that makes scumbags try to justify their actions.

Oh, and I DO know the difference when the girls are bending the truth a little. They are pretty good at it. :D:wai: I also know the ones who have Thai boyfriends they are supporting. I just don't care so long as I feel I'm receiving what I want from the deal. I certainly wouldn't "bet the farm" on them.

But that is getting off the topic of crime in Pattaya. What else do you expect from a city built on sex tourism? Just because Pattaya has evoled a lot from 20 years ago doesn't mean the basic principle of the city has changed. Tourists with money attract crime. It's as simple as that.

I think this is the least intelligent thread I have ever read.

Not really. It's just about some unfortunate guy who is a bit worried because his wife has been assaulted and he can't be near her.

To balance that there is the "troll" (in both meanings of the term) who wants to take lowball sniper shots at the unfortunate couple for no other reason than to bring someone from a higher level down to his much lower standard of a lonely miserable life. There are misfits in all segments of society who always see the worst in everything. It says a whole lot more about the sniper than the person he is sniping at.

Actually I was referring to the comments relating to slapping people.

Sidearms? Sigh, here we go again.

I am so sorry to hear about your wife's ordeal. Evil will be evil. Small consolation but I am thankful that there was nothing more violent. Since the subject has been breached, I have always preferred concealed carry. It keeps them guessing. It may up the ante but locally, after the last several home defences,(including a 78 year old lady with a sure grip), home invasions have decreased. They may break in but they are making sure no one is at home. The 'Castle Doctrine' here includes the right to use any needed force to protect property anywhere inside or out the building, especially at night (This has grown to include businesses.) That has been extended to include your neighbor's property too. It prevents lawsuits by the perp and their family/survivors. Most are cowards and prey on those they perceive as helpless as shown by the thread story. Did I miss the perps weapons of choice or was it a physical grab. Some things can be defended, some cannot. The times are getting worse & I believe that they will not get any better so each must be aware and as careful as possible.

Pattaya is a walk in the park compared to the
culture in the west.

For the most part I would have to agree with you. There are many cities in North America that someone not of the "correct" ethnic group would not be safe at any time of the day. Same goes for places in the UK. I haven't been to Europe, so I can't really comment, but I've heard it's the same in the big cities. I've NEVER felt threatened in Pattaya, or anywhere else in Thailand I've visited, but I never get drunk and make it obvious that I "might" have money. I also don't hang around the sleezier places in the wee hours of the morning.

I can't say the same for the Philippines, though. I've had to use my knife to get out of a few situations there and have no plans of returning any time soon. My best guess is the problems in the Philippines are a direct result of the Catholic church changing the culture.

My best guess is the problems in the Philippines are a direct result of the Catholic church changing the culture.

Cough. But before that, the tribes had their own intra- and inter-tribal problems, leaving aside the question of precarious survival in the jungle. Needless to say, farangs wouldn't be members of any tribe.

However, if you have some testimony written by Filipinos previous to arrival of Magellan, it should cause quite a stir among historians. Otherwise better read up on the history of the myth of the noble savage.

Received this e-maail from my wife today, while I am working in Bangladesh.
Hi my love‏

Sent: 20 February 2009 14:18:23

To: [email protected]

darling today about 2.00 p.m. there were the thieve rob me while I was pressing atm and then they force me get to the car with them and threaten me don't notify the police. I am very scare then they leave me at the sideway. that time I was very shocked and didn't know what am I to do? and now I have notify police already and I remember his face. now the police getting on about this.

darling now I am waiting for the news from police.

HB's TeeRak

:o:D:D:D

So the guy / guys can afford a car. This is not just some out-of-work labourer wanting money for food (or more likely booze or drugs) - this is professional.

I have been talking on this forum for months now about leaving Pattaya - my daughter has just been signed in to REPS school, so my first move will probably be for a year or two to Rayong - but Pattaya is no place to raise a family.

By the way - the names and addresses have been changed so it's pointless anyone trying to contact us that way. Those who know me know how to contact me or my wife.

Happened to our Maid (Mae Baan) of our Bar last week. She went to a SCB ATM near BigC North to get 2000 Baht. As soon as she had pulled the cash, two guys forced her to get in a car. They took her to a place far out of Pattaya. There was another Girl as well, those guys have threatened her very badly what made our Maid very scared. They told our Maid to call her 'Farang Boyfriend' (she is single) and request more money or they won't release her. Some 24 hours later (!!!) the guys released her because she had simply only the 2000 Baht from the ATM and no addresses or phone numbers of any relatives of friends in her bag (luckily, she didn't took her mobile phone with her). She's still scared and she won't go to the police to report the crime.

:wai:

This type of offence will only increase as will other opportunistic crime as the economic downturn increases the unemployed numbers. BUT , it is not just in Pattaya , for instance, in Mexico there are organised gangs doing this to the stage where they are now just grabbing Tourists in the street & taking them to ATMs to retrieve the max allowed under threat of death or rape & even couples in many instances.

The major difference seems to me in Pattaya there is a plethora of repeat offenders (local) being returned to the street rather rapidly. This may just be only a perception of mine when I saw the same offender on two occasions over 2 different crimes caught on the street only weeks apart.

I seem to get the feeling that 'Sanitising' of some crime media reports are in effect as well...............probably a misconception of mine, probably seen too much around the world & getting cynical in my dotage.

Lets hope there are no serious injuries following this sort of offenders behaviour.

:D

Received this e-maail from my wife today, while I am working in Bangladesh.
Hi my love‏

Sent: 20 February 2009 14:18:23

To: [email protected]

darling today about 2.00 p.m. there were the thieve rob me while I was pressing atm and then they force me get to the car with them and threaten me don't notify the police. I am very scare then they leave me at the sideway. that time I was very shocked and didn't know what am I to do? and now I have notify police already and I remember his face. now the police getting on about this.

darling now I am waiting for the news from police.

HB's TeeRak

:o:D:D:D

So the guy / guys can afford a car. This is not just some out-of-work labourer wanting money for food (or more likely booze or drugs) - this is professional.

hardly professional to use your own car