Red Shirt Rally

mnbcm

I noticed the red shirts were holding a protest or rally of some sort on the north end of the night bazaar tonight. Has that been a regular event or is tonight special?

they shut down the gay pride parade because they felt it was not in keeping with Lanna values. viva la redvolution!

jerks.

I noticed the red shirts were holding a protest or rally of some sort on the north end of the night bazaar tonight. Has that been a regular event or is tonight special?

they shut down the gay pride parade because they felt it was not in keeping with Lanna values. viva la redvolution!

jerks.

Saw them all at the event. Have they stated that the reason was "because they felt it was not in keeping with Lanna values" or is that your interpretation? My reaction was the same just would like to hear the rationale.

Fascists to the left of me, fascists to the right...

jerks.

Saw them all at the event. Have they stated that the reason was "because they felt it was not in keeping with Lanna values" or is that your interpretation? My reaction was the same just would like to hear the rationale.

that's exactly why they protested. i have a falang friend who was there who was supposed to be in the fashion show and gave me the play by play. i saw a photograph of signs that said something to the effect that gayness was not congruent with lannaness. only in far simpler language.

soon everything in thailand, it seems, will be determined by mob rule.

sure would be nice if the police force could keep the ardent idealists under control. you can't have a civil society in which mobs can so easily continually shut stuff down. (man i wish they'd shut down the annoying loudspeaker tedsabaan announcements/advertisements in my moo baan, though. or the crappy loud concerts. that's a mob i could really get behind)

i hardly believe these are democratic demonstrations of opinion -- as has been expressed here these mobs are organized by high ranking people in power who feel it incumbent upon them to decide what democracy and freedom of speech actually constitute. there is no real rule of law in these situations.

jerks.

that's exactly why they protested. i have a falang friend who was there who was supposed to be in the fashion show and gave me the play by play. i saw a photograph of signs that said something to the effect that gayness was not congruent with lannaness. only in far simpler language.

sure would be nice if the police force could keep the ardent idealists under control. you can't have a civil society in which mobs can so easily continually shut stuff down. (man i wish they'd shut down the annoying loudspeaker tedsabaan announcements/advertisements in my moo baan, though. or the crappy loud concerts. that's a mob i could really get behind)

i hardly believe these are democratic demonstrations of opinion -- as has been expressed here these mobs are organized by high ranking people in power who feel it incumbent upon them to decide what democracy and freedom of speech actually constitute. there is no real rule of law in these situations.

Bright side? Maybe some of the farang red shirt cheerleaders who think Thaksinism is a force for freedom and democracy as the T man tries to sell to the west will see things more clearly.

Mob rule has become the norm because for too long there has been no-one who would protect the rights of all people. Last night the police did nothing to protect the parade, rather they allowed the thugs to grandstand & eventually to enable them their victory. Until there is a law enforcement change that ensures that individuals are living in a free society we will see a growth in the use of crude ignorant power to limit the freedoms of people. The red shirts are simply invading this city by creating events that feed their need for violence in pursuit of their selfishly defined objectives. They are starting what will become death by a thousand cuts if the authorities do not clamp down on them now. This is not the time to promote division but to protect individuals and their values and rights. And it is time for the media to see further than the simple & crude political power play attempts by Thaksin and give greater coverage to the mob rule culture that he used in the past and is still using to try to create a platform for his return as 'a saviour'. A saviour who will unleash a firestorm of violence on all who do not bow to the doctrine he wishes to promote.

You are correct that it seems Thailand is allowing the "mob" to rule. The mob always seems to have connections higher up that allow it to happen. Just see how quickly a mob would get taken down if they said anything negative about the royalty.

There is definitely a hypocracy about what is obvious to everyone, and what actually happens, and what is SUPPOSED to happen in a predetermined doctrine set by authorities.

Red-shirts: We're more than Thaksin stooges

By PRAVIT ROJANAPHRUK

THE NATION ON SUNDAY

Published on February 22, 2009

The prevailing belief that all red-shirt supporters of the pro-Thaksin Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship (DAAD) are an under-educated mob paid by the ousted former-premier-turned-convicted fugitive ignores the fact that a small but growing number of red-shirts are very well educated and worldly. And they may bring new life to the movement beyond the issue of whether the group merely fights for Thaksin.

Meet James, a fictitious name for one brain behind the network of well-educated red-shirts. When The Nation met James yesterday, this middle-aged Thai who spent much of his adult life in the US didn't even bother wearing red. He argued that his network was made up of many cells and at least 400 well-educated people who are fairly well off and willing to fight for democracy.

"We're not snobbish: we do reach out to the provincial people and maintain a network in Chiang Mai, Phetchabun, Udon [Thani], Korat and Phuket," he said.

James is a former international media analyst and boasted of knowing people high up in the US, Australia and even Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva himself. He's also in charge of the red-shirts' "external relations" with the rest of the world.

c'td at http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/02/22...cs_30096284.php

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

PB, that's an insinuating post, seemingly intended to incite a flame. I will not respond to that. Clearly there were (and are) thugs on both sides, and nobody on this forum including Koo has any way of knowing which individuals (thugs or genuinely concerned people) will be in what rally.

You also seem to think that all Reds have an anti-gay or even right-wing agenda though obviously some might.. Like the yellow camp, it's not a homogeneous group. Currently the only thing that unites them is that they don't like the way the Dems and establishment cheated their way to power. Perhaps Koo can comment on that.

Either way the questions in your post insinuate that Koo knows who those thugs are, and even if they will join that rally. It's a pointless question from which no good can come other than flames. I would expect better, to guide a discussion in a balanced and respectful way.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I have a feeling that not many Thai Visa moderators will be there! :D

Youthink? :o

(I even notice a "The Nation" logo with the Thaivisa logo now, so that should give people an idea from where the wind is blowing politically.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Chiangmai is a very strong base for the reds. They will join the big protest tomorrow in Bangkok to fight with Abhisit and those behind him.

This was on 22nd March 2009:

redcm2.jpg

If you look at this group it is a very small gathering .Each time we see pictures of the red shirts gathering they seem to be getting smaller each time.I am not a supporter of either side just a observation.

• 2 weeks later...
PB, that's an insinuating post, seemingly intended to incite a flame. I will not respond to that. Clearly there were (and are) thugs on both sides, and nobody on this forum including Koo has any way of knowing which individuals (thugs or genuinely concerned people) will be in what rally.

You also seem to think that all Reds have an anti-gay or even right-wing agenda though obviously some might.. Like the yellow camp, it's not a homogeneous group. Currently the only thing that unites them is that they don't like the way the Dems and establishment cheated their way to power. Perhaps Koo can comment on that.

Either way the questions in your post insinuate that Koo knows who those thugs are, and even if they will join that rally. It's a pointless question from which no good can come other than flames. I would expect better, to guide a discussion in a balanced and respectful way.

I think a lynching is a bit more serious than 'Thuggery'! Have there been any arrests, or is this case in the 'Too Hard Basket'? How come these Red Shirts get away with violence with impunity?

winnie thekhwai

You can trust the police to enforce this key thing that is clearly deemed the most important law in the land

YES .... when it near the end of the month and his or her childs school fees are due .......

ferang will pay

who cares ? ....... what is 200 baht ?

zilch / nothing to a ferang

in england it would be a fine of 50 to 100 quid if you are lucky ( about 100 to 200 dollars for yanks ) AND three penalty points ( in england if you get 12 penalty points on your driving licence you bye bye your licence for a year and have to pass a driving test again before you get your licence back ) in thailand you pay 200 baht ..... 4 quid english or about 8 dollars US .... and you still have a driving licence ..... roll on thailand ..... LOVE the place .... their rules / thai police / thai laws etc !

enjoying every minite of being here.... dave2

dave2