Da Stefano

bungalowbill

I went to da Stefano last night. I sat outside, they had three waiters working. There were only two other single customers inside. The waiter came (the youngest one). I ordered one pizza, one beer and one water. The waiter brought my beer, but did not bring my water.

He was just standing inside doing nothing so I motoined with my hand and he became very agitated, closed his eyes, shook his head and came walking toward the door, he opened the door looked outside at me and said ....What? I told him he forgot to bring my water, without saying anything he went back inside and came back with my water.

When my bill came it seemed a little high... 280 for a pizza, I paid the bill anyway..I had the exact amount. but still thinking the pizza was too much I checked the menu...it was priced at 180. I went back inside and the oldest of the waiters was talking to the woman behind the counter, I asked to see my bill again, she said, oh you paid too much. It seemed like they knew I was charged one hundred baht too much but made no attempt to come outside and return it to me. I got my one hundred baht back, and also told them that the waiter was very rude to me.

I have been going to this restaurant for over five years, and considered myself to be a good customer. I have even recommended this place here on tv so I just wanted to vent...the owner was not there last night, if he was I would have spoken to him. Oh well, I just had to vent somwhere. I will not be going back to Da Stefano's anytime soon.

BB

Dear Bunbill,

A small favour if I may. When signing off on your posts could you please refrain from using BB.

People might get us confused, now that could be a good thing or perhaps not. What do you think?

Cheers,

BB.

Not a problem BB

BB

Just kidding... I won't use it anymore

I went to da Stefano last night. I sat outside, they had three waiters working. There were only two other single customers inside. The waiter came (the youngest one). I ordered one pizza, one beer and one water. The waiter brought my beer, but did not bring my water.

He was just standing inside doing nothing so I motoined with my hand and he became very agitated, closed his eyes, shook his head and came walking toward the door, he opened the door looked outside at me and said ....What? I told him he forgot to bring my water, without saying anything he went back inside and came back with my water.

When my bill came it seemed a little high... 280 for a pizza, I paid the bill anyway..I had the exact amount. but still thinking the pizza was too much I checked the menu...it was priced at 180. I went back inside and the oldest of the waiters was talking to the woman behind the counter, I asked to see my bill again, she said, oh you paid too much. It seemed like they knew I was charged one hundred baht too much but made no attempt to come outside and return it to me. I got my one hundred baht back, and also told them that the waiter was very rude to me.

I have been going to this restaurant for over five years, and considered myself to be a good customer. I have even recommended this place here on tv so I just wanted to vent...the owner was not there last night, if he was I would have spoken to him. Oh well, I just had to vent somwhere. I will not be going back to Da Stefano's anytime soon.

BB

I think such things often happen in Asia (NOT only in Thailand) as well as anywhere in the world, when the BOSS is not around.

as the owner might not be aware of the attitude of his staff, you should go there within the next few days (even before the official restaurant opening-hours when the staff is still not around but the Boss maybe already is). or tell the boss you would like to talk to him about something that happened, ask for his mobile number and call him in a quiet minute.

Like Thailiban says, it happens EVERYWHERE, throughout the world. Good staff are like gold and should be paid whatever it takes to keep them. Poor staff are a cancer that needs to be eradicated as soon as possible before it spreads. Unfortunately, it is just not "the Thai way" to get rid of poor employees, despite them ruining many businesses.

It seems that many Thai nationals seem to live in some sort of bubble that won't allow them to see the consequences of their own actions. I happens everywhere in all walks of Thai life... from riding scooters far too fast through narrow sois, to pizzing off clients with continual poor service. I see establishments charging far too much for meals when you can get the same thing a short distance away for half the price. Same thing with guest houses and hotels. I know of a few Chiang Mai guest houses that remain empty because they want 25 to 30 thousand baht a month for rent, when you can get a similar place for under 10,000 baht. I see empty bars in Bangkok that keep rising their prices as their clientel go elsewhere. They don't seem to grasp the idea that if you LOWER the price then people will come back. And, an empty bar or restaurant keeps clients away, whereas a busy establishment attracts new customers.

I went to da Stefano last night.

Was the waiter wearing a red shirt? That would have agitated me last night :D I went to da Stefano once about three years ago. Never felt any urge to return.

Had pizza last night too (guess we should have co-ordinated better :o ) The place I was gonna go to has disappeared, forget the name but it was beside the old Thapae Bake and Bite. I'm used to places disapearing in low season but when they can't make it through high season you know things are bad!

Anyway, driving around ended up at Girasole (Which I think is a Gondola creation). I was pleasantly suprised, despite coming from an electric oven it was definitely one of the better, possibly the best pizza I've had so far in CM. OK I've long been resigned to the fact that real pizza's like they make in Napoli don't exist outside Italy, but on the 1-10 scale this was a 7 (Most CM offerings I'd give 4-5 to).

Nice surroundings too, the service was a bit scrappy, but it was late and they were already shutting up as we arrived so I'll forgive. But, they did have some cute waiters :D I'll be back!

On the subject of bake and bite, there's another new spin off like "the Garden" called "Sweet Home" I think. It's very close to Thapae Gate in the first soi after Art cafe as you come round the corner - immediately before the old Suriwongs building now been converted to the Immhotel. Had breakfast there the other day, also good and a tranquil place despite being close to the main road. They also have good Thai food.

People might get us confused, now that could be a good thing or perhaps not. What do you think?

I have no idea how Bungalow B's head is screwed on, but I confess I had not thought of you, Blinky B, as one so easily confused.

Well you know how it is Razzarooooo. Somedays are a little more difficult than others.

And didn't Bunbill give in easily. Must be a nice guy. BB must be synonymous with nice guys.

Was the waiter wearing a red shirt? That would have agitated me last night :D I went to da Stefano once about three years ago. Never felt any urge to return.

Had pizza last night too (guess we should have co-ordinated better :o ) The place I was gonna go to has disappeared, forget the name but it was beside the old Thapae Bake and Bite. I'm used to places disapearing in low season but when they can't make it through high season you know things are bad!

Anyway, driving around ended up at Girasole (Which I think is a Gondola creation). I was pleasantly suprised, despite coming from an electric oven it was definitely one of the better, possibly the best pizza I've had so far in CM. OK I've long been resigned to the fact that real pizza's like they make in Napoli don't exist outside Italy, but on the 1-10 scale this was a 7 (Most CM offerings I'd give 4-5 to).

Nice surroundings too, the service was a bit scrappy, but it was late and they were already shutting up as we arrived so I'll forgive. But, they did have some cute waiters :D I'll be back!

On the subject of bake and bite, there's another new spin off like "the Garden" called "Sweet Home" I think. It's very close to Thapae Gate in the first soi after Art cafe as you come round the corner - immediately before the old Suriwongs building now been converted to the Immhotel. Had breakfast there the other day, also good and a tranquil place despite being close to the main road. They also have good Thai food.

Hmmmmm.........we had pizza last night too....must have been something in the air. But we went to Pizza Mania (highly recommended, been many times). Sorry to hear Pizza Koh Lanta went under. We were just there recently. But the last 3-4 times we were there, we were the only customers in there so it was only a matter of time. Good places in C.M. come and go...

Dear Bunbill,

A small favour if I may. When signing off on your posts could you please refrain from using BB.

Cheers,

BB.

I can sympathize with you BB particularly when BB is covered by copyright :o

jbg

p.s. but how could anyone be confused (leastaways if they know you)

Hmmmmm.........we had pizza last night too....must have been something in the air. But we went to Pizza Mania (highly recommended, been many times). Sorry to hear Pizza Koh Lanta went under. We were just there recently. But the last 3-4 times we were there, we were the only customers in there so it was only a matter of time. Good places in C.M. come and go...

Hadn't noticed that Koh Lanta was no more.

Sad though because their pizza's were as good as any in the city and a very hospitable host as well. :D

Sad though because their pizza's were as good as any in the city and a very hospitable host as well. :D

I assume that was the place where Paagai was referring to when he said "[the place] beside the old Thapae Bake and Bite."

Sad though because their pizza's were as good as any in the city and a very hospitable host as well. :o

I don't think this is true. I had delivery from Koh Lanta yesterday evening.

-Mestizo

Sad though because their pizza's were as good as any in the city and a very hospitable host as well. :o

I don't think this is true. I had delivery from Koh Lanta yesterday evening.

-Mestizo

Yes, Koh Lanta is the place I meant! Perhaps they've moved? The old place seemed completely dead, no lights on etc, not even a sign outside, so that's strange. Unless I was looking in the wrong place, but I've been before so know where it was.

On the subject of Pizza Mania, it rather looks as if they may be re-opening the Nong Hoi branch since "The Taste of Texas" is moving across the road. The whole thing is very weird since I don't think I ever saw more than one or two customers in T of T in the few months it's been open. Struggling and sinking fast were the words that came to mind. Instead, they are spending loads of money converting two shop fronts into the ersatz ranch house that they just vacated all of 30 meters away.

Perhaps one should add "money" and "sense" to that list of words...

"They don't seem to grasp the idea that if you LOWER the price then people will come back. And, an empty bar or restaurant keeps clients away, whereas a busy establishment attracts new customers."

The way Thais approach business, especially in this area, has amazed me for years. They don't seem to understand the most basic business rules of SUPPLY and DEMAND.

The way Thais approach business, especially in this area, has amazed me for years. They don't seem to understand the most basic business rules of SUPPLY and DEMAND.

This is why all the farang-managed business are always full of people.... :o