Non-o 1-year Multi-entry: Benefit To Extending Over Just Getting A New One?

I'm here on a non-O (for marriage), that expires 02-January-2010.

I've been following all the topics about extending, along with all the requirements for extending (income, $ in banks, etc...), and since I'm back in the States every December, started wondering... why not just get a new non-O visa each December from the Los Angeles embassy?

They're pretty "easy" there, and just want the marriage certificate, application form and passport. Seems like doing that would save some hassle.

So I'm wondering... what are the advantages (if any) of extending the non-O visa within Thailand, instead of re-applying for a new non-O back in the home country?

The obvious advantage -- that you don't need to leave Thailand -- doesn't matter to me. Are there any others?

I'm here on a non-O (for marriage), that expires 02-January-2010.

I've been following all the topics about extending, along with all the requirements for extending (income, $ in banks, etc...), and since I'm back in the States every December, started wondering... why not just get a new non-O visa each December from the Los Angeles embassy?

They're pretty "easy" there, and just want the marriage certificate, application form and passport. Seems like doing that would save some hassle.

So I'm wondering... what are the advantages (if any) of extending the non-O visa within Thailand, instead of re-applying for a new non-O back in the home country?

The obvious advantage -- that you don't need to leave Thailand -- doesn't matter to me. Are there any others?

Apart from having the priviledge of being able to stay in Thailand for the duration of your visa, there aren't any real benifits of having the 'OA' extension. When I applied for the 'OA' extension a few years ago it was a real hassle - money in the bank and a letter from the bank and names and address of neighbours. There is no real benefit for a foreigner being married to a Thai or a having children with a Thai national and living in Thailand. The last time I got the 'OA' extension I was misinformed by the immigration at the port in Bangkok as to when I was to go back again and I was fined over 2000 baht for overstaying. Now I just get the 'O' visa and do a visa run if I am here any longer than ninety days. The last time I was at the Consulate in my native country they were handing out the 'O' visa to people who didn't even meet the criteria for it. So, in in my opinion, just get the 'O' visa and do a visa run if you are going to be here more than ninety days. Money in the bank - I know a lot of Thai's who don't earn 400000 in four years, let alone one!

Other than not having to leave the country everry 90 days there is none unless you eventually want to get Permanent Residency. To get that you have to be on at least 3 consecutive one year extensions.

It does make some things easier (drvers license, bank acounts, buying cars/bikes in your name and etc.) becausee you can get a certificate of residency from immigration (some offices won't issue one for a visa entry).

I like it because It gives me a greater feeling of permanence here.

Other than not having to leave the country everry 90 days there is none unless you eventually want to get Permanent Residency. To get that you have to be on at least 3 consecutive one year extensions.

It does make some things easier (drvers license, bank acounts, buying cars/bikes in your name and etc.) becausee you can get a certificate of residency from immigration (some offices won't issue one for a visa entry).

I like it because It gives me a greater feeling of permanence here.

When you say 3 consecutive one year extensions, would that mean I would have to stay in thailand for 3 consecutive straight years without leaving the country to overseas? Or I can leave on reentry permits but must renew my extension for 3 consecutive years?

I would like to visit my parents once in awhile for at least 2-3weeks at a time.