Biking In Bkk

orangezeke

hi all. im new to this and i can't figure out how to post to the right place. here is hoping...

my old bicycle finally arrived from storage 4 weeks ago and i have happily been creating havoc on the brutal back streets of bkk. so far i have managed to get it strapped onto a tuk tuk after a bit of a fall that left me winded and looking for my mum. i have managed to get it into a taxi for the long haul to pattaya. i have even had it on a ferry up the chao praya after convincing the ticket lady that i would not ride it while on board.

i thought i would try my luck with the bts and mrt but both times was knocked back by the guards. i have read on an earlier thread that it was possilbe to take them onto the bts but the guard at on nut station was not having it.

has anyone had any luck getting on ?

hi all. im new to this and i can't figure out how to post to the right place. here is hoping...

my old bicycle finally arrived from storage 4 weeks ago and i have happily been creating havoc on the brutal back streets of bkk. so far i have managed to get it strapped onto a tuk tuk after a bit of a fall that left me winded and looking for my mum. i have managed to get it into a taxi for the long haul to pattaya. i have even had it on a ferry up the chao praya after convincing the ticket lady that i would not ride it while on board.

i thought i would try my luck with the bts and mrt but both times was knocked back by the guards. i have read on an earlier thread that it was possilbe to take them onto the bts but the guard at on nut station was not having it.

has anyone had any luck getting on ?

You might need one of those fold up japanese bikes.

For your interest, there is a biking trail in Pra Padaeng in an area nicknamed the Bangkok Jungle that might interest you.

See this link

thanks for the link. i will definitely check it out when i get a sunday to my self; the area looks great. to show just how excited i am, i even formulated a path there on google maps. i will ride down rama iii but where i think i will come undone is the bridge across, it looks like a pretty serious piece of roadwork. can i simply ride across from the wat dan side to the wat khan lad side ? if not, are there any local ferries or bridges you know of ? how did you get there ?

ta

thanks for the link. i will definitely check it out when i get a sunday to my self; the area looks great. to show just how excited i am, i even formulated a path there on google maps. i will ride down rama iii but where i think i will come undone is the bridge across, it looks like a pretty serious piece of roadwork. can i simply ride across from the wat dan side to the wat khan lad side ? if not, are there any local ferries or bridges you know of ? how did you get there ?

ta

you definitely dont want to ride your bike over the mega bridge.

i think there might be a cross river ferry HERE

i haven't travelled over by ferry, i've only driven to pra padaeng before.

I have seen a pack (10) of bike tourists on the BTS at Siam during the rush hour, Also frequently seen push bikes on the BTS.

All the long distance buses will take a pushbike.

The MRT/MTR ? do not allow yet their trains are much less crowded.

If the OP wishes to PM me I willl give him/her lots of info about pushbiking in Bangkok and Chonburi. I doubt if many readers wish to read such stuff

BTS Guards !!! I often want to get the first trains,, some allow you in at 5:50 (Chidlom) and others don't.(Rajadamri)

Go to Chidlom at 5:50 and get the train, already plenty of people, must have got on 15 minutes ago, (not BTS workers)

Edited by desertrat

There is one bicycle friendly bridge, Saphan Phut, just north of Chinatown, but then you would have to ride a long way south to Pra Paedang. Maybe 8-10 kilometers.

Thats way up the river.....the Saphan Taksin pier is closer for Pra Padaeng, and has a BTS stop (you could just jump on the Marriott's courtesy boat at Saphan Taksin pier for free :o and then cycle down Thanon Ratburana 5 or 6 kms to Pra Padaeng )

I have seen a pack (10) of bike tourists on the BTS at Siam during the rush hour, Also frequently seen push bikes on the BTS.

All the long distance buses will take a pushbike.

The MRT/MTR ? do not allow yet their trains are much less crowded.

If the OP wishes to PM me I willl give him/her lots of info about pushbiking in Bangkok and Chonburi. I doubt if many readers wish to read such stuff

BTS Guards !!! I often want to get the first trains,, some allow you in at 5:50 (Chidlom) and others don't.(Rajadamri)

Go to Chidlom at 5:50 and get the train, already plenty of people, must have got on 15 minutes ago, (not BTS workers)

Hi,

not sure what you mean with push bike, but do I understand right that I should be able to take my regular bike on the BTS? Any extra charge for this?

May come handy sometimes...

Thanks,

Ket

"not sure what you mean with push bike, but do I understand right that I should be able to take my regular bike on the BTS? Any extra charge for this?"

Pushbike is a pedal bicycle, this forum frequently refers to motorcycles as bikes.

Yes, you should be able to take your bicycle on the BTS, I have seen many.No extra charge (I think)

When I go to Prapadaeng, Go to Bangkok Bank Head Office on Rama III, there's a ferry there.

Also a ferry from Klong Toey but not easy to find.

Nearest BTS is Chong Nong Si, it's an easy ride to the Bank. I cycle from Rajadamri/Silom..in rush hours

never had a problem, some believe that in any accident the larger vehicle is always at fault here.

Not sure if it applies to farangs and no matter who is at fault if u r dead.

Rot Fai Park, go to BTS Morchit is quite good.

Queen Sirkit quiet but boring.

great. i have seen the marriott boats and i know where the rama iii bangkok bank is so i will try my luck. i will also see if i can dodge the security guards at the bts as it sounds like some of you have had some luck.

dont jinx me with your talk of larger vehicle accidents. ive had enough close calls in my 4 weeks as it is - i think i still have a taxi side mirror embedded in my hip !

i cant go this weekend but i will make an effort for the following. if anyone is up for a ride feel free to get in touch.