Massive Police Crackdown On Non Registered Bikes In Pattaya.

BigBikeBKK

I got stopped last week by the BIB. No number plates. Showed the document from the dealer. Police still gave me a ticket. Couple of days later called Thonglor Police Station, was told to bring documents showing proof of ownership.

Anyhooter they never asked for it when I got there. Just paid the mandatory TB300 to get my license back.

What time of the day was it?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummmm maybe page 18 is for imported bikes only. but then the Bmw's should have it also. My CBR250 has some writing on page 18. girlfriend agreed it said something about money paid.

I never checked the Cbr150 book........ who has one what does it have if anything.

Allan

But arent all the bikes imported ?? Are the 'local bikes' not made in the customs free zone in rayong and have to be 'imported' to Thailand to come out of the bonded zone ??

If they are going to build a system they really should build a system where it is possible for a purchaser to do due dilligence.. Thats the problem with Thailands systems, they are designed in a way that your never able to do due dilligence on a second hand machine. The duty paid info is a prime example, some bikes have it, some bikes dont, some bikes need it, seems some bikes dont.. No one can ever give a clear answer.

I got stopped last week by the BIB. No number plates. Showed the document from the dealer. Police still gave me a ticket. Couple of days later called Thonglor Police Station, was told to bring documents showing proof of ownership.

Anyhooter they never asked for it when I got there. Just paid the mandatory TB300 to get my license back.

12:30pm

In the West these confiscated bike would end up in a police auction, well they do here in Oz. Any chance of that happening...or have members of the BIB already put their mark on the ones they want for themselves?

We must applaud the BIB for making the footpath (goat track) on the East side of Beach Rd less of a trial...although it may only be briefly!

Saw a normal traffic cop this morning on a brand new shiny bmw 1200.. Nice buy on a regular traffic cops salary :o !!

This wasnt some special patrol kings motorcade cap, he was stopping helmetless kids on scooters for 300 baht tickets.

*EDITED*

Comment highly offensive, totally off topic and clearly against forum rules. For someone employed in education system you should know better. Religious or racial slurs will not be tolerated.

7 days suspension to cool off. :o

Don't know what he said,

but <deleted> he can make Paddy/Irish comments and thats alright is it?????????????

BE WERY WERY CAREPHULL................ :D

On a more serious note, I have just about saved the 85,000 baht to get my greenbook/registration sorted out. The bike is an import from Japan and the guy I bought it from said he can take care of it. I don't believe there will be a problem cos I know he has ridden his bike across the Malaysian border on more than one occasion. I intend on telling him that's what I plan on doing later this year......

So,when I go to him next week will he be able to give me a receipt saying that I've paid for the book/reg or does he get that from wherever he sorts things out?

What about page 18? By bringing this to his attention before he goes to the office of whatever Do you think this could work so that I won't have any problems later on?

So far he's been great to deal with, which is why I want to complete the transaction as it were,with him so that other buyers will then know he's a good un!

*EDITED*

Comment highly offensive, totally off topic and clearly against forum rules. For someone employed in education system you should know better. Religious or racial slurs will not be tolerated.

7 days suspension to cool off. :o

Don't know what he said,

but <deleted> he can make Paddy/Irish comments and thats alright is it?????????????

No, it is not ok. If you go back to that thread you'll notice his remark has been edited.

I am more concerned about the increasing number of bikes that have their tax disc covering one number on the number plate in Pattaya.

One such scraped my car last year and drove off.

I reported to police but they said there was nothing they could do.

Page 18 seems to be page 16 on mine. It's the first page after all the spare pages left for all the new owners as the bike is bought/sold.

My Ninja 250R bought from Rama 9 has a single line on this page with a stamp from DMV and a signature, stating a fee of 100 baht (if that's of any use to anyone!)

I don't read Thai but the GF tells me it is the tax paid on the initial registration. Never thought to check it before this thread so I can see how someone could get caught out by this type of thing...

Ummmm maybe page 18 is for imported bikes only. but then the Bmw's should have it also. My CBR250 has some writing on page 18. girlfriend agreed it said something about money paid.

I never checked the Cbr150 book........ who has one what does it have if anything.

Allan

Try Google Translater,copy and paste :o

Well here is what I talked about happened to me previously. This is expected in Pattaya, Chonburi, Bangkok and probably now also Phuket. Buy 100% legal bike and laugh about it. Now after the idea is there expect it to hit anywhere for a while, so have your shit in order or park the bike for a while.

For the person who is commenting towards religion, I think that is completely off! live and let live man...

Cheers Bard

The problem is, what is a 100% legal bike ??

One of the ironys of the moment is Phuket has its clamp down, the bike book has to state on page 18 the taxes paid on its import / registration etc.. This is for 2540 onwards to now according to customs.. But someone who bought thier bike brand new from BMW doesnt have a tax paid info in there on a 100% legit book ?!?! So customs / DMV / Etc demand something that a 100% legal bike doesnt have.. Its madness !!

And bikes outside of the date range that this applies to, also has the same issues. It seems not only do they make up the rules as they go along, apply them inconsistently in different places, but they dont even know what those rules really are ?!?

Well when I got my Kawa the bike and book went to the transportation office where the Kawa guys got it all stamped, Yamaha does the same. This is not the first time this have happened guys, I wrote about my experience with my CBR 600 RR. So it should be known, problem is people don't listen and these things does not happen often enough so people think, it's an urban myth or never saw it can't be happening. Last big bust was the last economic crash, we are into one now and the government will use all they can to chase down money believe me...

From my experience I have gone legit and tried to bring over that point when it comes to bikes, best thing to do now if you don't know your bike is legit for sure, leave it and wait it out until they go for the next big thing, which as I remember last time was cracking down on expats with houses.

Remember they did a clean up there with company with foreign owners which owned houses but no business running, or sleeping Thai partners, and other dodgy deals. Basically whatever you do have which is in a grey area is at risk when the machinery starts rolling. Remember one guy stood behind a bar and got done for working with no work permit, one guy caught drinking and driving had the choice 50k baht or else, he didn't have 50k so his work permit gone and expelled from Thailand.

So guys be careful during the clamp downs they can go pretty wild. Follow the rules and be fine, stay in non-tourist provinces always protect you a lot to...

Cheers Bard

Cheers Bard

interesting post bard,and a timely warning,there's always something around the corner here in thailand.

This is going to cost the main big bike renters a lot of money and most of them are actually Muslims in Pattaya.

Yup it is the Muslims renting out these unregistered death machines. I'll sure be happy to see them off the roads.

'Death machines'??

I could say the same about many vehicles in Thailand mate. Especially after dark when the whiskey comes out :o

Or do you mean that some of them are in rag order and are mechanically dodgy?

I detect major 'cage rage' about you mate.

I've checked my page 18 and it has 2 entrys, in which some address details are listed allong with other details. Hopefully this is the import addresses?? page 16 has 1 entry for '100' maybe tax money?

Frame number and engine number match the book, and I even have etchings of the engine number if they want to check that!

I've been stopped 4 times on my CBR 400 and so far not even asked for my green book, just license (thai) and insurance (stuck under the seat). Not been fined yet.

This is going to cost the main big bike renters a lot of money and most of them are actually Muslims in Pattaya.

Yup it is the Muslims renting out these unregistered death machines. I'll sure be happy to see them off the roads.

'Death machines'??

I could say the same about many vehicles in Thailand mate. Especially after dark when the whiskey comes out :o

Or do you mean that some of them are in rag order and are mechanically dodgy?

I detect major 'cage rage' about you mate.

I've checked my page 18 and it has 2 entrys, in which some address details are listed allong with other details. Hopefully this is the import addresses?? page 16 has 1 entry for '100' maybe tax money?

Frame number and engine number match the book, and I even have etchings of the engine number if they want to check that!

I've been stopped 4 times on my CBR 400 and so far not even asked for my green book, just license (thai) and insurance (stuck under the seat). Not been fined yet.

Hi All,

Just as a point of clarification, I did NOT write "This is going to cost the main big bike renters a lot of money and most of them are actually Muslims in Pattaya."

I don't give a rats A$$ what the religion or race is of the owners. What has that to do with anything?! The sentence above is part of a the larger post from MONSTERMAN. I simple copied and pasted it, which should be clear to anyone who reads the first entry in this thread. I'd put the link to the original GTR thread here, but I guess the ThaiVisa mods don't like that anymore and it'll just get snipped... You can still head over to the Golden Triangle Rider Forum and see the original post for yourself if you are so inclined.

Happy Trails!

Tony

12:30pm

That's weird, as long as you carry the copy of sales docs you're supposed to be allowed to ride from 06:00 to 18:00, but not outside this time frame for unknown reasons. Also not allowed to ride outside of the province the bike is to be regged in unless you got the red metal plates with the temporary reg book that is... Sounds weird...

Cheers Bard

Police officer state "should have rego plates within one week".

I complained but alas he actually made my life easier. The following day got pulled again. Flashed him my ticket, waved me on with a smile.

Thats a load of rubbish anyway Travelmate.....my Plates took about a month to arrive, I kept getting pulled over about it and was never issued a ticket. A couple of times I was stopped at night & thought I was going to get a ticket.....but a little bit of chat with a little bit of humour saw me motoring down the road again - no fine.

Plates too way too long to come :o .

Little odd this thread.

I complained but alas he actually made my life easier. The following day got pulled again. Flashed him my ticket, waved me on with a smile.

Thats a load of rubbish anyway Travelmate.....my Plates took about a month to arrive, I kept getting pulled over about it and was never issued a ticket. A couple of times I was stopped at night & thought I was going to get a ticket.....but a little bit of chat with a little bit of humour saw me motoring down the road again - no fine.

Little odd this thread.

Yes I agree. Three weeks on and I am still waiting for mine. Been told next week now.

The officer deemed it a violation. Nice chat to begin with, turned to argument. He kept repeating one week. It also a first for me. As for my Ninja a whole year without plate and no problems. As you said a little chat and it was over.

The second cop pulled me came alongside me on his motorcycle indicating to pull over. Again this action was a first for me. However this one was better. Inspected my sales invoice and ticket received day before sent me on my way.

Was I really unlucky that weekend. I dunno.

Anyhooter Kottan was there also on the day of receiving ticket. But he did not get has he already got plates.

Still no big beef. Just collect license the next day.

I have four bikes, one I bought new from Honda here in CNX the second was one I imported from the States and the other two are big bikes I bought from private owners in Thailand. Page 18 is filled out in my two books for the bikes I bought from the private owners and has their name printed as previous owner. My import's page 18 is blank because I am the original owner here in Thailand. Never mine that it is a used bike. The last book is blank because I bought the bike new from a Honda dealer. Hope this helps clarify what page 18 seems to be used for.

Little odd this thread.

Yes I agree. Three weeks on and I am still waiting for mine. Been told next week now.

The officer deemed it a violation. Nice chat to begin with, turned to argument. He kept repeating one week. It also a first for me. As for my Ninja a whole year without plate and no problems. As you said a little chat and it was over.

The second cop pulled me came alongside me on his motorcycle indicating to pull over. Again this action was a first for me. However this one was better. Inspected my sales invoice and ticket received day before sent me on my way.

Anyhooter Kottan was there also on the day of receiving ticket. But he did not get has he already got plates.

Obviously the first bloke just wanted to write a ticket.....how on earth can that be your fault. I actually had the same thing the first time I was pulled up on that exact matter and there was a fairly intensive talk underway, during which time I retrieved my drivers licence....as opposed to having it handed back & I told the fellow I would be back tommorrow, same time to discuss it further with him (a cooling off period if you so like) & sure as <deleted> the next day I went back past there and he was all smiles and waved me on.....often use to see him after that & always got the same response....NO WAY in hel_l was I taking a ticket under those circumstances (it was day time & only about 10 days after I got the bike).

I always thought I must have been the acception with the slow arriving plate, but you have confirmed otherwise. How much was that fine for?

Plates too way too long to come :D .

Little odd this thread.

I always thought I must have been the acception with the slow arriving plate, but you have confirmed otherwise. How much was that fine for?

At Thonglor station they asked if company was paying. Ok I did look the part of a big Boss when I was there. :D

It turns out if company pay it TB500 if not TB300.

I took the TB300 option. Then I had like 5 minutes of questions and giggles from the female officer. She wanted to know about the big bike I was riding, and do I like "girlfriend Thailand".... :o

^ yeah well she should of got one up the blurter for good measure.....im assuing she was ugly....could of got her in one night for some entertainment during a boys beer night or something :o

Its not even the fines that upset me, its all the rigmarole that you have to go thru when paying it, lining up, watching the ticket get spiked, sit down, stand up, pay fine, stamp fine, communicate with moron behind counter, walk this way, walk that way, bend over, touch ur toes.....it never ends :D

Edited by neverdie

Obviously the first bloke just wanted to write a ticket.....how on earth can that be your fault. I actually had the same thing the first time I was pulled up on that exact matter and there was a fairly intensive talk underway, during which time I retrieved my drivers licence....as opposed to having it handed back & I told the fellow I would be back tommorrow, same time to discuss it further with him (a cooling off period if you so like) & sure as <deleted> the next day I went back past there and he was all smiles and waved me on.....often use to see him after that & always got the same response....NO WAY in hel_l was I taking a ticket under those circumstances (it was day time & only about 10 days after I got the bike).

The book & plate for my R1 took about 10 months to arrive , Red Baron quoted 3 months on a new bike for the book and plate .

I would consider yourselves extremely lucky . :o

^thum....thats just amazing, i am lucky, i wonder if its got something to do with little bike verses big bike....HOW CAN THAT BE YOUR FAULT.

Mentality:- They buy million baht bike but cant ride it because were gonna stuff around with a stinking number plate for 10 months.

In that case, you would be better off to buy the bike on finance with a 99% down payment, so you get a red plate & monthly repayments of 50 baht for a year.....WACKO TIME THIS :o

Maybe I have been living in Xanta, rather than Tie-Land. I have never heard of a new bike owner in Chiang Mai getting stopped for no plates. It almost always takes 3 to 5 weeks to get plates. I drove at night during the first month both times, without one thought about being stopped. My Thai partner's family gets two new bikes a year, no problems. I ride 132 kph in the right lane and pass on the right, even passing police; no problem. Maybe Xantese police are different. And paperwork? The windshield has current stickers; good enough.

I love living in Xanta, without being fluent in Xantese.

I have four bikes, one I bought new from Honda here in CNX the second was one I imported from the States and the other two are big bikes I bought from private owners in Thailand. Page 18 is filled out in my two books for the bikes I bought from the private owners and has their name printed as previous owner. My import's page 18 is blank because I am the original owner here in Thailand. Never mine that it is a used bike. The last book is blank because I bought the bike new from a Honda dealer. Hope this helps clarify what page 18 seems to be used for.

Did you do your import 100% legit ??

One of my bikes has a blank page 18 and was a private import (UK bike) and thats one that can be a problem.. Mine is outside of the date range that it should apply but they dont seem to care or really know. Was released from an impound but they refuse to give it an 'all clear' in writing.

Thats Phuket anyway.. they currently wont change names on blank page 18 imports for after 2540 year. Even on 'legit' books that are understood to be 100% in order. I am not bothered as having modified it they wont do name changes on it anyway with any mods, even super simple stuff.

Did you do your import 100% legit ??

One of my bikes has a blank page 18 and was a private import (UK bike) and thats one that can be a problem.. Mine is outside of the date range that it should apply but they dont seem to care or really know. Was released from an impound but they refuse to give it an 'all clear' in writing.

Thats Phuket anyway.. they currently wont change names on blank page 18 imports for after 2540 year. Even on 'legit' books that are understood to be 100% in order. I am not bothered as having modified it they wont do name changes on it anyway with any mods, even super simple stuff.

Yes, 100% legal, letter from Ministry of Commerce giving permission too. We'll see what happens when I ever decide to sell it.

Maybe I have been living in Xanta, rather than Tie-Land. I have never heard of a new bike owner in Chiang Mai getting stopped for no plates. It almost always takes 3 to 5 weeks to get plates. I drove at night during the first month both times, without one thought about being stopped. My Thai partner's family gets two new bikes a year, no problems. I ride 132 kph in the right lane and pass on the right, even passing police; no problem. Maybe Xantese police are different. And paperwork? The windshield has current stickers; good enough.

I love living in Xanta, without being fluent in Xantese.

I bought my Kawasaki 900 vulcan form the Kawasaki dealer here in chiang mai and got the plate and book in 6 days they did say it would take a month but they called me 6 days later saying it is there already.