What Vehicle Is The Cheapest To Maintain In Good Working Order?

DONEWITHIT

I read it all the time here on the forum..

Guys that used to own the biggest, Mercs, Beamers, Audi's and now in Thailand drive a vios, jazz, Yaris...

That's cos in UK you can buy a very good condition 7 series for the price of a 2 year old Vios !!!!!

I paid 4000 Pounds in 1988 for my BMW 735i in the UK, that's 200,000 Baht and it was 5 years old 60,000 Miles.

Wanna try that in Thailand ?

I'm in Tokyo at the moment and on the local International Supermarket notice board is a BMW X5 4.8 Litre absolute top of the range all extras bells and whistles, including moonroof, low milage excellent condition full BMW service history for 3.9 Million Yen asking price.

Wanna try that in Thailand ?

Try buying a Lexus in Thailand, in Japan I can buy a fantastic Toyota Celsior for a Fraction of the price of a Lexus in Thailand.

I have found my old Mercedes 300 diesel to be very cheap to run. Parts have been plentiful and cheap when needed, though not often needed! All the mechanics I have visited over the years have had no problem working on her. Also she is very miserly with the diesel. Another upside is she rides beautifully, soaks up the worst of bumps with ease and handles dirt roads with aplomb! Roads the Japanese cars and pickups buck and groan over the old Merc just glides over with no squeaks rattles or groans! There is also a certain satisfaction of having the three pointed star up front!

My 2004 Nissan Frontier has defogging wires in the back window and when the back window was broken, I figured it would cost me a bundle. The window was replaced by the Nissan dealer with an OEM window that included the heating wires. They installed the window including the window film. The replacement window, labor and a wash job cost me 1,308 baht total. I have never needed anything else replaced so I don't know about any other parts.

Thanks,one and all.It makes sense that Honda,Toyota,Nissan and Isuzu would have the most parts availability.I think Thai mechanics throughout Thailand probably see more of these so you'd think repair would be cheaper and quicker.I probably will go this route and look at the used market.

The four mentioned Honda, Toyota and Nissan all have factories in Thailand. Honda in Ayutthaya, Toyota has a big complex in the Eastern Seaboard. Nissan I think is somewhere near BangNa. Isuzu is somewhere near Samrong.

Its nice to own any of these because spare parts are readily available and cheap and cars can be easily fixed. Lots of factory support.

I highly do not recommend owning an imported car. Especially without dealers.

My friend took hew BMW for a service interval at the dealer and the invoice was like 20,000 for oil change and some other usual stuff. Stay away from Yontrakit dealers. Like BMW, Audi and KIA.

You get what you pay for what else can I say. Honda is rated best in its class but a motorcycle can easily remove the front "bumper" with a loose kick stand in passing.

the newest one I owned was a 2003 745IL which I left in the states due to the import tariff. Here I settled for a 1986 316i

WOW! From a 2003 7 series to an 86 3 series with a piddly little engine! I take it you had a pretty lady to take your mind off that enormous downshift in your level of transportation? I think i would have stayed in the States myself. :o

I still have the 7 series or rather my father is enjoying it. The 7 series quite honestly does have too much power for use here but I also have a 1986 325E which my wife drove in the states and I drove a 1988 325I in the city in the states. As far as power goes, the 316 eat's Honda's for breakfast and can whiz in and out of SUV's like they are sitting still, I can drive over the mountain to Chiang Rai with out turning the AC off as fast as I please which is obvius to me most Japanese cars don't do very well.

You get what you pay for what else can I say. Honda is rated best in its class but a motorcycle can easily remove the front "bumper" with a loose kick stand in passing.

Yeah but a honda or toyota bumber at the local junk yard can costs less than a tank of gas so you don't really care. But if your 2007 BMW gets keyed or knicked or a broken tail light.....

the newest one I owned was a 2003 745IL which I left in the states due to the import tariff. Here I settled for a 1986 316i

WOW! From a 2003 7 series to an 86 3 series with a piddly little engine! I take it you had a pretty lady to take your mind off that enormous downshift in your level of transportation? I think i would have stayed in the States myself. :o

I still have the 7 series or rather my father is enjoying it. The 7 series quite honestly does have too much power for use here but I also have a 1986 325E which my wife drove in the states and I drove a 1988 325I in the city in the states. As far as power goes, the 316 eat's Honda's for breakfast and can whiz in and out of SUV's like they are sitting still, I can drive over the mountain to Chiang Rai with out turning the AC off as fast as I please which is obvius to me most Japanese cars don't do very well.

The BMW engine is the sub 1800 cc engine that produces 115 BHP in the 316.

Jeez mate, a Vigo pick up truck with the 3.0 turbo diesel would slaughter you up hill.

I like BMW, but c'mon, the 316 was the basic entry level car built to attract poorer people to the badge, a performance car it certainly isn't.

Edited by Maigo6

Whats your frequent flyers upgrades got to do with cars Maigo. Interestingly, what do you use your points for if you don't upgrade with them....excess luggage? You are one bitter and twisted camper, arnt you. Ohh by the way, I paid for my last business class fare, but the one before that was an upgrade :o

Funnily enough my next flight will be an upgrade with miles. :D

Bitter and twisted ? LOL..........Yeah right. :D

Anyway, <deleted> has this got to do with motoring pal ? :D

If you ever see a silver Fortuner approaching you at 600 Mph, just move outta the way, alright !! Or I'll be picking bits of you outta my radiator for weeks , yukkkkkk, :P

I look forward to our meeting Maigo, I'm not sure if you will enjoy it as much as me though.....perhaps you might like to bring a jar when you come along. :jerk:

It will also be your shout since you drive a silver thai merecedes (fortuner).

Jeez,you guys make me laugh,I LOVE IT!!!! :D I want to start a thread just for Neverdead and Mr Magoo..........I reckon you guys could stop the whole forum,possibly pull the biggest numbers ever!!! :wai:

I'm not sure what your talking about trix, but I am sure with Mr Maigos quick wit & thick head & my good looks we could probably achieve alot together, couldnt we Maigo (especially if his thai merc was 1000 hp).

The BMW engine is the sub 1800 cc engine that produces 115 BHP in the 316.

Jeez mate, a Vigo pick up truck with the 3.0 turbo diesel would slaughter you up hill.

I like BMW, but c'mon, the 316 was the basic entry level car built to attract poorer people to the badge, a performance car it certainly isn't.

Jungian, Where I am from we call 'yesterdays' junk car BMW's, like the ones you drive....."Poor mans beemers".

BMW = Big Money Worries.

Seriously, the low spec beemers were never known for setting the world on fire performance wise.

If you were to jump into one of the newer sportier jobs, even the 130i, then that would be a totally different thing, wouldnt it? But surely your not trying to compare a BMW thats costs how many million baht to a 800,000 baht toyota, are you?

Why are you comparing apples to oranges?

Current Model BMW 316: 2 litre, 115KW @ 6400RPM, 200Nm @ 3600RPM, 1390KG, top speed 220km/h, 0-100km/h in 9.8 seconds.

Toyota Altis: 1.8 litre, 100KW @ 6000RPM, 175Nm @ 4400RPM, 1245KG, other speed specs not known.

The Beemer is worth a fair bit of more coin than the Altis, just 15kw (approx 20HP) Difference in the beemers advantage, yet the beemer carries an extra 145kg.

The Beemer is probably better for a slightly higher top speed.

It would come down to driver, so given that Jungian is a big girls blowse and Mango is a fortuner legend & the fact that we are racing up thru the mountains and not chasing top speed, I would put my money on the Toyota driven by Maigo. NO CONTEST! :o

Edited by neverdie

Japanese cars are easy and cheap to maintain. They hardly ever break down. They are also easy to drive as everything is so light from the stiring wheel to the brake. Honda's targeting upper market so the price is generally higher than Toyota, Nissan and Mitsu but I don't think anything's wrong with Toyota except interior design which is a bit out of dated. I've used Honda before and recently changed to Toyota Altis and I'm loving it. I wouldn't recommend a Vios because a car that small doesn't look safe on highways and motorways. Service doesnt usually cost more than 2000 each time for regular check-up. They don't consume as much petrol as europian cars but of course not as safe in crashes!! If ur looking for something a bit luxury then perhaps Lexus can also be a good choice :o

Hi Paul, you maybe better of buying something the locals are comfortable working on....

post-63954-1236126252_thumb.jpgpost-63954-1236126265_thumb.jpgpost-63954-1236126274_thumb.jpg

with the basic tools they are comfortable working with!

post-63954-1236126259_thumb.jpgpost-63954-1236126281_thumb.jpg

Edited by BSJ

Older Thai guy at the end of the Village drives a old black Mercedes W123 1987 300 diesel every day, he has also got a Black top model Toyota Fortuner he bought new over 2 years ago that just sits on his drive and has 5,960km on the clock he hates it, he drives it 1x per month to charge the battery and 1x per year to the main dealers for a service.

He says the Merc is the Cheapest To Maintain In Good Working Order, it has never broken down or gone wrong in the 10years he has owned it and drive around 350+km per week, it still has the same engine, auto box etc [no work has ever been done on these] and has over 580,000km, on the clock

Older Thai guy at the end of the Village drives a old black Mercedes W123 1987 300 diesel every day, he has also got a Black top model Toyota Fortuner he bought new over 2 years ago that just sits on his drive and has 5,960km on the clock he hates it, he drives it 1x per month to charge the battery and 1x per year to the main dealers for a service.

He says the Merc is the Cheapest To Maintain In Good Working Order, it has never broken down or gone wrong in the 10years he has owned it and drive around 350+km per week, it still has the same engine, auto box etc [no work has ever been done on these] and has over 580,000km, on the clock

Yes, very reliable old things and cheap to fix if something does go wrong. I have found the same with mine. Though his car is older than he says. They stopped manufacturing the W123 in 1985. 87 is probably the import year, same as mine which actually has a build year of 1978!

Most of the older Mercedes are imports from the UK - they were usually around 9 years old when imported to benefit from the maximum discount on import tarriff.

I have a W126 that was registered here in 1991, but the car is actually an '82.

There is a Russian VIN decoding website that will tell you the date of manufacture, country of sale and full spec in a format like below, but it only works for post 1980 cars. There was quite an interesting thread on an MB forum where a member had bought a Mercedes in USA, and when decoded the VIN :-

Plant 50

Model 560 SEC

Chassis 1260451A507476

Engine 117968 12 075563

Transmission 722350 03 274942

Tyres

Primary PIRELLI

Order 0 9 848 00276

Lights BOSCH

Cab 03497

Delivery date 10.10.89

Dealer Korea people's republic (North Korea) (848)

Interior leather black or anthracite (261)

Paint 147 arctic white (T) (с 01.01.1985 по 31.12.1993)

Options

251 Becker Radio Mexico cassette, full stereo, electronic (с 01.04.1980 по 30.11.1990)

363 - (Any ideas guys?)

442 airbag in steering wheel (с 01.02.1980 по 31.10.1993)

490 elimination of windshield/washing-water heater (с 01.02.1988)

524 paintcoat preservation (с 01.01.1964)

581 automatic climate control (с 01.01.1977)

592 heat-insulating glass, all-around, heated rear window pane (laminated glass), band filter

green heat-insulating glass all round, heated rear window, laminated safety glass - tinted strip (с 01.01.1972)

601 oil for rear axle with limited-slip differential, in canisters and containers (с 01.01.1964 по 31.01.1990)

682 fire extinguisher (с 01.04.1970)

873 seat heater for left and right front seats (с 01.02.1984)

So there's a car with very interesting legacy. Sunroofs and MPH speedos are signs of imports and possible incorrect/false claims as to the age of the vehicle. Someone made an awful lot of money bringing these Mercedes in between 1987 and 1991, if anyone knows more about this I'd love to know. I've heard the cars were parked on the quayside in a customs bonded zone, you selected your car and paid the import duty seperately.

Some of the W123's were made at Mercedes (Thonburi) but I think only the 200, not the diesel models.

Cheers

Edited by INTJ