Thailand May Seek To Extradite Thaksin: Pm

george

this morning i read the news on the nation and it have this

DAAD leaders kept some cash

it just make you wonder sometime what the heck is going on inside the circus. :D

so does anybody still think that red people is not getting pay, maybe the leader think that, this will be the last time big boss will pay so as well kept some for ourself.

the con get con :o

Edited by chowder

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that is the worst thing they can do. Get this piece of shit back here to spend a few months in a luxury cell (ha!) and then free to stir up all kinds of shit and whining about injustice. Thailand will fall into anarchy if this scumbag ever gets near the place.

These words look like they are coming from a very disgruntled little man - think you might have been happy joining the yellow shirt mob on their path of destruction last year - you should stand up with Sonthi and scream foul - wonder why you not protest the fact that they are wanted by the law for treason, destuction of property etc, etc, etc, etc, - the reality is that Taksin had this country in better standing interntionally and a much better financial position and what it is now - and seems that the PM and his deputy cant even agree on the matter of trying to get him back here --

I remember a band of Black Shirts saying the same things about their wonderful leader.... what was his name again.. Adolf something-or-other....Zeig-heil.....

yffyhfgg.jpg

Natthawut believes Hong Kong will not extradite Thaksin

Natthawut Saikua Saturday expressed confidence that Hong Kong would not arrest and extradite former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to Thailand.

Natthawut, a leader of the red-shirted movement, was responding to the order by Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva to the Thai consul in Hong Kong to find out about Thaksin's whereabouts when he gives a speech to the Foreign Correspondents' Club of Hong Kong on Monday.

Natthawut said he believed Hong Kong authorities would not arrest Thaksin because they regarded that it was a political issue of Thailand.

But if Thaksin is arrested and extradited, the red-shirted people will rally in support of the former prime minister at the Suvarnabhumi International Airport.

- The Nation / 2009-02-28

How can YOU ignore that he added Mugabe....

A putative democratic country run by aspiring pond scum.

Even as an opposition tries to gain traction.

What defines a leader as a "good leader of the country" or "a dictator"?

Take the example of a the country where I was born.

Spain was for many years ruled by General Franco.

Yes, he did send many intellectuals, writers and persons who opposed him into prison camps or simply executed them.

So, for others in the world he was a dictator.

But he was beloved by most citizens in Spain.

Under his regime,everybody had work and a secured income.

Everybody could go to school and get a proper education.

Everybody who left school after graduating was ensured of his job.

Drugs and drugs abuse was a hollow word.

Spain was the touristic country no. 1.

ETA terrorists were executed in front of television cameras in prime time.

All this in a few years after WW2 and when other countries were struggling to get back to normal life after the destruction of the world war.

After General Franco. King Carlos was ruling Spain and he declared Spain a "democracy".

Yes, people were free to do whatever they wanted as long as it was not breaking the law.

And even when they were breaking the law, the prisons and the Justice had so much cases to handle that it would take ages before a case would go to court.

Being free became a synonym of being in prison in your own house.

Jobs were scarce and only available for the high school graduated people or the kids from rich families.

Drugs, drug abuse and crimes (also against tourists) were a daily routine.

The gross of the Spanish citizens were not happy with their new country.

A few years ago, I was visiting my family in Spain and some said:

"Under Gen. Franco, I could leave my house open and go to the bakery for a bread. Under King Carlos I need to lock my house with 20 locks and an alarm system and still not being sure that I will find my house as I leaved it a few minutes before."

I hope you don't mind that I make a few remarks and adjustments on your comments about Spain. And I hope you don't see it as an personal attack on your views, I just try to put it a little bit more in perspective.

Under Franco Spain was one of the most poor countries in Europe. That was one of the reasons why your family and many million of others had to leave, to find a better future in another country to do the very hard labour in the coal mines in Limburg and the Ruhr. They had and still have all my respect. And you and I know that many of the made a vow never to step one foot in Spain again as long that Franco ruled the country.

Of course you could leave your door open when shopping, because there was nothing to steal. :o

Indeed the crime rate is much higher than before, but this is the case all over Europe and you know the reason very well. Just like the rest of Europe Spain is overwhelmed by Ma....., Af.... and other Is.....scum.

Till today Spain is still the number 1 tourist destination in Europe. Hunded thousand of pensioners bought a house or spending the cold winter months in Spain.

And not only ETA members where executed, also many normal Spaniards where jailed and tortured because they oppose the Caudilio. And why you don't tell the people execution was dun by the Garrotte, the most terrible and inhuman ways to be executed. I hope you don't deny the brutal oppression of the normal Spaniards by the Fascist regime. Nobody did dare to open his mouth. And you also forgot to talk about the para military millitians who where murderers.

And why not mention the then thousand of childeren who were send in the diaspora all over Europe, during the civil war, because there parents could not feed them or afraid to be jailed or executed by the Franco regime.

many of tose childeren could not return home till after Franco died.

And of course there is some kind of nostalgia by the older generation for the old day's. But why did you not ask them if they also like to return to their standards of living during the Franco regime era. I think you will would have a more balanced answer.

BTW your remarks about belgium are 10 000 % correct.

Coalminer I didn't attack you personally,

only the concept of defending Franco vs Mugabe.

It was a stretch. If I flamed you it would be QUITE clear.

Next, maybe your intent was only to use Franco's regime as an example,

but how it ACTUALLY read to me, not seeing your apparently implied sub-text was

a defense of Franco's methods as a way to proper order vs later standards under Juan Carlos.

My comments about Franco were only a repetition of what some (older) people were thinking of the evolution of a "democratic" Spain.

Not to jump to a defense of Gen. Franco or what he was doing to the Spanish citizens.

I have not joined your club. Not hardly.

Nor can you succeed in twisting my words to do so.

I see PAD using the Dems. as a tool and not the other way round.

While some Dems, few did go and speak to PAD gatherings publicly, that is not the same

as joining the steering committee and making decisions as to actions.

The PAD rank and file were never LESS that Thai citizens, and as such were valid

persons to hear speechs on subjects of the day.

I have never thought that 'one group' and 'another' having some similar goals

but using drastically different methods, makes them the same. Not so.

Only arriving at a end goal in parallel.

Just because two large groups have some overlapping members,

doesn't make them the same group.

Because I might benefit from the injury of another by a third party,

doesn't mean I can condone that third parties actions.

Yet I arrive at the place I arrive at none the less.

PAD went over the top in the end, but yet this country continued to function.

Only the paranoia of Somchai stopped his controling the situation.

The lil guy froze and others had to pick up the pieces.

Thaksin's control wasn't as solid nor as absolute as he imagined.

The Govt. had offices, they had communications, and they had the bully pulpit.

The government never was short of reporters to blather too, and the legislature met

for all but a few days, which were a horror for all sides.

They did not cease to govern during a full year as you allege.

No one was prevented movement to return home,

or visit most instalations except ~Gov House.

There were short term dislocations,

but at no time did the PPP governments

cease to function except from their own incompetences.

PAD is slowly moving at Thai speed towards court dates,

about the same sloth-like lethargic speed most of Thaksins dates move at.

Some form of Thai justice will be done.

"Taken Hostage" implies that people were prevented from general

freedom of movement for a year... and a ransom was demanded.

Never was the case. PAD occupied a building and a few street corners.

This doesn't defend PAD, only delineate what has been observed.

You seem to be speaking hyperbole leavened with rose colored idealism,

and this really can't be said to reflect facts on the ground. TiT

If you call that "functioning of a country", then I have strong doubts how you would describe "a country disfunctioning".

The leaders of the country needed to look constantly for a place to hold the governmental meetings.

Tourists where hold for day's HOSTAGE at the airport, which is in principe INTERNATIONAL TERRITORY and gatherings which disturb the normal come and leave of passengers and destroying vital material to function should be immediatly annihilated. Not described as a joyfull gathering of a few citizens with music and food.

Or are you trying to imply that "they never have been prevented to go home"?

Maybe by following the Budha footsteps and walk home?

National Television Broadcasting buildings were attacked by the MOD (err. PAD) and material that belongs to these companies were destroyed. All this can be seen on film.

Not to forget the many citizens who were taking hostage by the PAD and served as a human example of what they were describing as anti PAD and humiliating publicly. PS, there are films of this as well.

You seem to mimalize the destructions that have been dome by the PAD/

Get real and name a knife a knife.

I hope you don't mind that I make a few remarks and adjustments on your comments about Spain. And I hope you don't see it as an personal attack on your views, I just try to put it a little bit more in perspective.

Not at all.

You are welcome to discuss anything as long as you don't start to flame or see posts as a personal viewpoint.

Under Franco Spain was one of the most poor countries in Europe. That was one of the reasons why your family and many million of others had to leave, to find a better future in another country to do the very hard labour in the coal mines in Limburg and the Ruhr. They had and still have all my respect. And you and I know that many of the made a vow never to step one foot in Spain again as long that Franco ruled the country.

Spain was not one of the most poor countries in Europe.

Several countries such as Polen, Tschechoslowakye, Italy, Greece, Turkey, etc were in the same boat.

A correction on the point of why my parents decided to leave Spain for Belgium:

My father had a very good job in Spain at that time and could take very well care of us.

But some people from Belgium were trying to convince citizens of Italy, Spain and later Marocco and Turkey to work in the Belgian coalmines with the promise that they would have a better future for them and their children.

Coalminers were "working deep in the underground and talking every day with the devil" was a sentence that was repeated to the Belgian citizens by the priest at the church, and Belgium needed the coal desperatly at that time.

Unfortunatly, my father, like many other coalminers (remember the many deaths in a coalmine in Liege/Luik) had a very grave accident at the coalmine and was left invalid for 66% after 1,5 years hospital.

At that time, Belgium was not the land of milk and honey as it is now, and we had to make our own living.

Nothing of what was described by the jobhunters was true.

PS,: Try top browse on tthat subject and see the photograhs of many foreign coalminers living in former concentration camps (Zwartberg).

Now, years later, my family members that remained in Spain and didn't fall into the sweat words of the job hunters have all become high citizens in Spain where we had to struggle to survive in Belgium because of the mining accident of my father.

Of course you could leave your door open when shopping, because there was nothing to steal. :o

There was plenty to steal.

BTW, the most important at that ime was not to steal a computer or a color TV, but FOOD.

Most food was paid with food "vouchers" from the government.

If the food was stolen, there was no way to get it back unless by trying to obtain it at the black market.

If a family had babies or young children and their milk was stolen, it was a disaster for that family.

Indeed the crime rate is much higher than before, but this is the case all over Europe and you know the reason very well. Just like the rest of Europe Spain is overwhelmed by Ma....., Af.... and other Is.....scum.

Strange to see that you dont dare to speak about the REAL reason of the elevated crimerate despite your nickname.

I will not get into detail, but "Het Vlaams Blok" states that the elevated crimerate worldwide is due to the "import" of the dirt of other countries.

You don't agree with this statement?

Till today Spain is still the number 1 tourist destination in Europe. Hunded thousand of pensioners bought a house or spending the cold winter months in Spain.

As far as I know, Spain has been superceeded by Turkey as no. 1 tourist destination in Europe.

And not only ETA members where executed, also many normal Spaniards where jailed and tortured because they oppose the Caudilio. And why you don't tell the people execution was dun by the Garrotte, the most terrible and inhuman ways to be executed. I hope you don't deny the brutal oppression of the normal Spaniards by the Fascist regime. Nobody did dare to open his mouth. And you also forgot to talk about the para military millitians who where murderers.

I did not forgot to talk about the other side of Spain at that time.

But IMHO it had no relevance in the point I was trying to make in the thread.

BTW, I have lost 2 members of my family due to cowardly ETA attacks.

One was killed when a car bomb exploded in from of a the Bank wher he was working and the other was killed in the cowardly ETA attack of the commuter trains.

If I could catch these cowards, I can assure you that Franco would be boy scout compared to what I would do with them.

And why not mention the then thousand of childeren who were send in the diaspora all over Europe, during the civil war, because there parents could not feed them or afraid to be jailed or executed by the Franco regime.

many of tose childeren could not return home till after Franco died.

Because IMHO it had nothing to do with the point I was trying to make.

And of course there is some kind of nostalgia by the older generation for the old day's. But why did you not ask them if they also like to return to their standards of living during the Franco regime era. I think you will would have a more balanced answer.

I think not.

The people who said these things belong to the "old guard" who are convinced that everything was better in their time and all the inventons we have now (TV, computer, etc.) are toys given by the devil.

BTW your remarks about belgium are 10 000 % correct.

:D:D:D

Certainly no more disingenuous that your discussion.

And more logical IMO.

You attempt to saddle me with things I never said, to fit your agenda,

and ignore things I DID say that clear those fallacy away.

The main reason the country didn't function well was those governments incompetence.

Somchai could move with out being told where when and how far,

and Samak was just an aging, arrogant, loose cannon.

Plain and simple.

They didn't need Government house to use phones and hold meetings.

They had the old airport all set up and did no better.

They made pronouncements their minsitries were on call, mostly running things

themselves for lack of concrete new policies. Chalerm tried several 'policies',

all utterly still born from astounding stupidity of conception.

The garbled thoughts of our Dear Opposition Leader who would be king

They couldn't function because they were too attached to Thaksin's apron and purse strings,

and couldn't move till he phoned in from London. 6 hour delays to form any decision...

PAD was nothing more than a loud annoyance at one or two locations for most of the time.

Red Shirts are going about similar tactics and Abhisit is still running a functioning government.

Competence vs utter incompetence is the tale of the tape.

Mobile cabinet meetings were Thaksin hallmark.

Somchai and Samak couldn't pull that off it seems.

Samak did manage to get Noppadom canned for ignoring the rules of their jobs.

And essentially cause border skimishes with a formerly relatively friendly neighbor

and business partner. They started a minor shooting war over egos and mis-communication.

WHEN THEY HAD OFFICES. That whole stupidity made it clear they were not up to the job.

Until the airports,

and Thaksin's minions PUSHED PAD in to that with the series of grenade attacks.

And Somchai proved he had rice grains for gonads.

I was convinced PAD would have stayed sitting tight at GH till PPP was dissolved,

if the grenade attacks hadn't been happening. Thaksin under-estimated their resolve,

and drive to finish what they started for good or ill. Scare them off, didn't work

it just pushed them to escalate MUCH bigger than anyone imagined.

I left the country and returned during the airport closure, so I can't see I was held hostage,

And I KNOW others could have found ways other than Cobra sawmp to get home.

The airport passengers get my sympathy for sure, but they were free to leave,

just as CNN was able to enter with a camera and film and intact, unlooted duty,

AND then leave and show this on air.

Thaksin, his ego, and his loose cannons have created a whole mess,

and PAD helped make it a wider mess, but between the two,

the upshot is a functioning government has replaced 3 dysfunctional ones in a row.

4 if you consider Thaksins third term as a real government...

I don't it was a cock-up run by a paranoid.

His obstinacy, obvious growing paranoia and ego-mania cause the coup.

It is spilt sour milk to whine on about HOW we got here,

it's more productive to look ahead to the perfect storm

shortly to be weathered TOGETHER, and think less of petty

partisan gamesmanship to return the dysfunction to the reigns of power,

and more to PULLING TOGETHER for Thailand's basic survival near term.

Anything less is blinkering the DRIVER and NOT THE HORSE...

He may try and look and sound like a bad ass...

Badmouth.jpg

but in reality.... he's just a chicken...

Mission accomplished for Abhisit...

Ex-Thai PM Thaksin cancels Hong Kong speech

HUA HIN, Thailand - Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said on Saturday he has called off a planned speech in Hong Kong next week to avoid hurting bilateral ties with Hong Kong and China.

"I have decided not to go to the speech because I don't want my presence to affect the bilateral ties," Thaksin told Reuters by telephone from an undisclosed location.

"I am very annoyed by the hoo-ha made by the government so I think it is better for me not to go," Thaksin said.

The cancellation of the speech came days after Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said Bangkok would explore legal avenues for asking China to extradite Thaksin, convicted of graft and on the run overseas.

Thaksin's legal adviser Noppadon Pattama earlier denied Abhisit's threat was behind the cancellation. Thaksin was due to deliver a luncheon speech titled "Financial Crisis, Political Uncertainty: Lessons from Thailand" at the Foreign Correspondents' Club (FCC) in Hong Kong.

Despite Thaksin's absence at the Club, FCC vice president Tom Mitchell told Reuters Thaksin was willing to speak via a video conference and both parties were working to make it possible.

Abhisit told reporters on the sidelines of a Southeast Asian summit that his government would continue efforts to bring Thaksin back to Thailand.

"We were in the process of doing so (extraditing him), but now his speech has been cancelled, we have look for other means and channels."

Thaksin said the government should not have overreacted to his speech, which was going to focus on suggestions about how to tackle the global financial crisis, not Thailand.

- Reuters / 2009-02-28

I was reading the Thai Rath today, it was a day or two old. It had a couple of stories about the "Red Mob" and "Red Shirt Mob" on the cover. The best one was the used pink condom found at Gov't House after the Reds realized they couldn't get any ongoing attention there.

I suppose it's obligatory to post the what is now becoming the standard erroneous statement from his Personal Spokesman... seems like every time Ponthep speaks about what Thaksin will do.... the opposite always occurs... the below article published just hours before the above article...

v v v v v v v v v v

Edited by sriracha john

Spokesman:Thaksin will meet press

The schedule for Thaksin Shinawatra's discussion with the foreign press in Hong Kong has not changed, the former prime minister's Personal Spokesman Pongthep Thepkanchana said on Saturday, amidst rumours he may not turn up for fear of arrest.

Natthawut Saikua, a leader of the pro-Thaksin United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD), also said there had been no change to plans for Monday’s meeting.

Thaksin would mainly be giving his views on the global economic crisis, Natthawut said.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/13...till-meet-press

Additional positive international media coverage for Thakky...

Noppadope was also a former Personal Spokesman for him...

Thailand's exiled ex-leader cancels Hong Kong talk

BANGKOK, Thailand: Thailand's former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra canceled a speaking engagement in Hong Kong, one of his lawyers said Saturday, after Thai authorities threatened to hunt down and extradite the exiled leader.

Noppadon Pattama, one of Thaksin's lawyers, said the former leader canceled plans to speak at the Foreign Correspondents Club of Hong Kong on Monday.

The speech would have been a rare opportunity for reporters to grill Thaksin, who has mostly lived in exile since he was ousted in a September 2006 coup for alleged corruption and abuse of power.

His plans received wide publicity in Thailand, and revived questions about whether he would be pursued to serve a two-year prison term he was sentenced to last year for violating a conflict of interest law. Thaksin fled the country ahead of the Thai court verdict.

Thailand's Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said Friday that Thai authorities would attempt to find Thaksin and have him extradited. Thailand has an extradition treaty with China but not with Hong Kong, which is a special administrative region of China.

Noppadon, who said he heard of the change from one of the former prime minister's entourage, said Thaksin decided not to go because "he doesn't want his visit to jeopardize relations between Thailand and China."

Foreign Correspondents' Club Hong Kong President Ernst Herb said he had not heard from Thaksin and was still expecting him for his speech, "Financial Crisis, Political Uncertainty: Lessons from Thailand."

Past Thai governments have made similar threats to track down Thaksin and bring him to justice but made little progress, though Britain — where Thaksin had been residing — withdrew his visa after last year's court verdict.

Thaksin, a billionaire who made his fortune in telecommunications, has since been trotting the globe, surfacing from time to time in such far-flung locations as Hong Kong, Dubai, and Nicaragua.

Thaksin's critics accuse him of funding anti-government protests in Thailand in an attempt to return to power. Thaksin has said he cannot get justice under the current government and he is working for democracy in his homeland.

- Associated Press / 2009-02-28

Mustn't forget the Chinese and Hong Kong news sources...

Thai PM: Thaksin cancels speech in Hong Kong

HUA HIN, Thailand, Feb. 28 (Xinhua) -- Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said here Saturday that ousted former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has canceled his speech to foreign journalists in Hong Kong.

"The latest I have learnt is that he (Thaksin) is canceling his speech," said Abhisit, when he answered a question raised by a reporter from the Hong Kong-based South China Morning Post at a press conference after the opening ceremony of the 14th ASEAN Summit.

When asked if he was concerned about Thaksin's move, the Thai PM said, "My concern is solving problems of the country and pushing the ASEAN forward."

Earlier news reports said that Thaksin planned to make a speech entitled "Financial Crisis, Political Uncertainty: Lessons from Thailand" at the Hong Kong's Foreign Correspondents' Club on Monday.

Meanwhile, Thaksin's legal advisor Noppadon Pattama also confirmed the cancellation, according to a report on the Bangkok Post's website.

Finished off by yet another international media source... on the seemingly inevitable Ponthep contradiction...

Thaksin to cancel Hong Kong speech: Spokesman

HONG KONG - Ousted Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra has decided to cancel a speech in Hong Kong planned for next week after Thailand threatened to extradite and jail him, his Spokesman said Saturday.

Phongthep Thepkanjana said Thaksin decided on the last-minute cancellation of his speech at the Foreign Correspondents' Club (FCC) in Hong Kong because he was worried his visit might affect the "good and friendly relationship" between Thailand and China.

"He was looking forward to the event. He was almost leaving for Hong Kong today. But he finally had to change his mind," Phongthep, speaking in Hong Kong, told AFP.

The spokesman said he had arranged to fly from Bangkok to Hong Kong on Saturday to meet with Thaksin. But instead, he was told only after arriving in the southern Chinese city that Thaksin would not be coming.

"The Thai government seems to be very nervous and already too excited about his coming for the speech in the FCC," he said.

Phongthep said the Thai government knew they could not legally prevent Thaksin from coming to Hong Kong, a special administrative region of China.

"But Dr Thaksin regretfully made this decision because he does not want to affect the good and friendly relationship between Thailand and China.

"He also does not want the Hong Kong government to feel uncomfortable or embarrassed because of his trip."

The Spokesman said he met with board members of the FCC Saturday afternoon to relay the message from Thaksin. But he would not say if any Chinese officials had approached Thaksin.

The ousted premier was originally scheduled to speak on the topic of "Financial Crisis, Political Uncertainty: Lessons from Thailand."

Tom Mitchell, vice-president of the FCC, confirmed with AFP late Saturday that Thaksin would not appear for the event.

But Mitchell said Thaksin was still willing to speak to the FCC's audience via video-link and he believed the lunchtime event could be held as scheduled on Monday.

Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, who came to power in December after the pro-Thaksin ruling party was dissolved by a court, has said he would ask China to help bring Thaksin back to Thailand.

A spokeswoman for Hong Kong's security bureau said on Friday there was no agreement on repatriating fugitives between the Chinese special administrative region and Thailand, but would not comment on an individual case.

- AFP / 2009-02-28

In a country where a government is ousted by military coupe the can never be a democracy. END

def. of democracy?never in thailand yet,barely in usa or anywhere if you really look at the facts.the military switch in thailand was loved by the people.the check points werent even manned as they were all off doing laundry and eatn lunch,,it was very mellow and nice and imediatly ended gov account ripoffs by the gov,i was right there,they loved it in the street.

So what would you think if the same thing happened in US or UK or Europe? do you think it would be a good idea? lol

yeah,it would be a good idea anywhere gov got about 50% nontransparent and thereby would be being taken advantage of by some moneyd class as would happen everytime in that situation.

its just human nature,then hitlers are bred everytime.its what humans do when they get the chance and if one group didnt take advantage another will,right away

its really all a transparency issue,,luckily in usa we are at about 80% transparency due to the web and media and our nature,i dont know for how long?

He is a criminal,

and therefore sentenced 2 years to jail !

And ther he have to go as every one !!

And how many other court verdicts still waiting for him ?

Another 20 years ?

It will be good for Thailand !!

Hmm,

How many illegal things did Sondhi and his PAD commit?

Destruction of a TV station.

Destabilize a nation by occupying Governmental properties.

Destabilize a country and cause huge losses to airline companies by closing the airport.

Causing Thailand to be sued for the huge losses made by worldwide airline companies.

Kidnap people and hold them "emprisoned" in the "camps" of the PAD while threatening them in an inhuman way.

Hey, this Sondhi and his croonies ARE IN THAILAND.

No extradiction demand needed.

Wonder why Absint don't get them to court?

My comments about Franco were only a repetition of what some (older) people were thinking of the evolution of a "democratic" Spain....

Your post started as follows:

"What defines a leader as a "good leader of the country" or "a dictator"?

Spain was for many years ruled by General Franco..."

And the post ends with this:

"Just my 2 cents in this discussion." (Bold typeface is mine to underline that it was your personal opinion)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thailand-See...48#entry2564148

Nowhere did you say that those were NOT your personal views and that you were describing someone else's thinking.

Don't complain that people took you personally.

Abhisit 1 Thaksin 0.

As discussed earlier, they don't want him back in Thailand. They wanted to deny him the use of Hong Hong as an important political base close to Thailand where he could receive his cronies to give orders and negotiate payments. I would say this is a major setback for him but, as always, he only has himself to blame. If he hadn't decided to speak at the FCC, he could probably have continued using Hong Kong as a venue for his business meetings indefinitely. It remains unclear whether there is a legal basis for extradition to Thailand from Hong Kong but Thaksin can't take the risk of being arrested there.

It seems that Thailand may have not considered that its extradition arrangements with Hong Kong needed to be reviewed, after the provisions of the treaty with Britain ceased to apply in 1997, and none of the well bred chaps at the Foreign Ministry knows the status. They seemed to assume that it is no different from China but, since Hong Kong has its own basic law until 2047, Thailand's treaty with China may not automatically apply. But never mind. Thaksin has got the message that China will be asked to stop him from using any of its territory as a political base. Next stop Cambodia?

"He was looking forward to the event. He was almost leaving for Hong Kong today. But he finally had to change his mind," Phongthep, speaking in Hong Kong, told AFP.

no easy Itinerary... :o

Delta Air Lines 370

Depart: Managua, Nicaragua (MGA)

7:50am

Arrive: Atlanta, GA (ATL)

1:34pm

* 3hr 44min

Change planes. Time between flights: 2hr 41min

Delta Air Lines 125

Depart: Atlanta, GA (ATL)

4:15pm

Arrive: Los Angeles, CA (LAX)

6:16pm

* 5hr 1min

Change Airline. Time between flights: 5hr 4min

Cathay Pacific 883

Depart: Los Angeles, CA (LAX)

11:20pm

Arrive: Hong Kong, Hong Kong (HKG)

5:40am

* 15hr 20min

Total duration: 31hr 50min

==============================

Return

Cathay Pacific 882

Depart: Hong Kong, Hong Kong (HKG)

4:25pm

Arrive: Los Angeles, CA (LAX)

1:55pm

* 12hr 30min

Change Airline. Time between flights: 9hr 50min

Delta Air Lines 457

Depart: Los Angeles, CA (LAX)

11:45pm

Arrive: Guatemala City, Guatemala (GUA)

5:20am

* 4hr 35min

Change Airline. Time between flights: 1hr 14min

Copa Airlines 710

Depart: Guatemala City, Guatemala (GUA)

6:34am

Arrive: Managua, Nicaragua (MGA)

7:50am

* 1hr 16min

Total duration: 29hr 25min

I have been curious to note the mentions in the Thai press that Thaksin has been visiting Nicaragua and even that he has been awarded "honorary" Nicaraguan citizenship. In that context I found this blurb on the website of a company offering financial solutions to wealthy Americans seeking to escape Uncle Sam's greedy tentacles.

"Nicaragua is very popular for applying for second citizenship, as Nicaraguan passport, as well as all other Caribbean countries, enables visa-free travel to over 115 countries, including all EU member states, Asia, Africa, South America (Canada and USA are "easy visa" countries for Nicaraguan passport holder). Nicaragua citizenship by naturalization requires minimum contribution for a sole applicant – EUR 49,000. There is also a minimum contribution for additional member of the family – EUR 15,000. Nicaraguan citizenship is granted within 20 days after meeting with the basic or additional (if applicable) requirements, providing the necessary applications, supporting documents (passport/travel document copy, health insurance, medical certificate, police clearance, photograph measuring 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm ) and funds. Documents issued by the immigration authorities: Naturalization Certificate, citizenship passport, local ID (cedula). Drivers license can be exchanged for EUR 50."

Note the list of Latin American countries, most of which don't have extradition treaties with Thailand, they can visit without visas. Maybe even Thaksin's "divorce" from Potjaman was a set up to leave him free to marry some one who might give him a route to a desired nationality by marriage or, perhaps combined with adoption of children, give him a legal means to avoid extradition from somewhere. The Thai press has never come up with any really convincing reasons for this move and I don't believe that they have dug deep enough.

no easy Itinerary... (from Nicaragua)

Total duration: 29hr 25min

Good point. I think we can assume that he hadn't left Hong Kong since his recent series of meetings there with Pheua Thai stalwarts but he likes to keep his whereabouts a secret and create the impression that he is in constant motion e.g. the ludicrous "mid air" phone ins that are probably also from Hong Kong or some other terra firma.

My comments about Franco were only a repetition of what some (older) people were thinking of the evolution of a "democratic" Spain....

Your post started as follows:

"What defines a leader as a "good leader of the country" or "a dictator"?

Spain was for many years ruled by General Franco..."

And the post ends with this:

"Just my 2 cents in this discussion." (Bold typeface is mine to underline that it was your personal opinion)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thailand-See...48#entry2564148

Nowhere did you say that those were NOT your personal views and that you were describing someone else's thinking.

Don't complain that people took you personally.

A few years ago, I was visiting my family in Spain and some said:

"Under Gen. Franco, I could leave my house open and go to the bakery for a bread. Under King Carlos I need to lock my house with 20 locks and an alarm system and still not being sure that I will find my house as I leaved it a few minutes before."

(Bold typeface to underline that it was NOT my personal opinion and to underline that I was quoting someone else view.)

Try again and this time pay attention to what is written.

I'd say Abhist 3, Thaksin 0, Coalminer -1

Judged on effectiveness.

But that's just my observations.

I'd say Absint -10, Thaksin 10, Coalminer 10

Judged on speaking the truth about the PAD actions and the actions of squareface Sonthi.

That's just my and a lot of anti-pad observations.

Dear Mods

Why is coalminer repeatedly being allowed to hijack this thread with his off-topic drivel?

coalminer, this topic is about Thailand possibly seeking Thaksin's extradition from Hong Kong; not General Franco, not Spain, not ETA, not Sondhi and not the PAD. Do try to keep up please!