The Last Week Has Been Sweltering Hot

dave9988

I think next month is going to be killer. I hope it rains soon.

It doesn't make you lazy just you lose so much energy in the heat and feel so uncomfortable.

If its cold I just put on a jacket and a cup of hot coffee and I'm good to go. But when its hot its still going to be hot no matter what I wear. The less I wear the more mosquito bites I get.

Thailand would be a tough place to live without a/c during april-may. Well maybe Africa or Mongolia is worse.

I've tried driving with my car a/c not working once (it had a freon leak). It was just horrible stuck in traffic and no a/c. No air movement and black clouds coming from buses.

The 'winter' here in BKK was really quite short. It was cooler than the last couple of years, but then it seemed to end. Now, it's hotter than h*ll and I am lazy--but then I was lazy during the 'winter' too.

Winter in BKK is like 1 week or 2? But it was really nice. I slept without the a/c on for the first time. It was wonderful. Bangkok would be paradise if it averaged like 20-23 degrees.

I thought the cool season in BKK was longer than normal and fairly cool, indeed I thought that the heat was getting to me this year because I'd got used to lower temps. The Bangkok Post reports 36 degress, that would be just a shade higher than normal, but in any case still feels too hot to me. It's the evenings in my condo that are the worst, sometimes 34 degrees.

To cope, I've taken up swimming, I'm going to give up hot drinks, and take frequent cool showers. I've also got a bag of ice in the freezer to apply to head, neck and shoulders. I find the fitter I am the easier I can cope so I work out quite a bit too.

Anyone got any other tips?

I thought the cool season in BKK was longer than normal and fairly cool, indeed I thought that the heat was getting to me this year because I'd got used to lower temps. The Bangkok Post reports 36 degress, that would be just a shade higher than normal, but in any case still feels too hot to me. It's the evenings in my condo that are the worst, sometimes 34 degrees.

That's not bad. Its only 10 degrees higher than what is supposed to be comfortable.

Talking about weather i have been here for 105 days and haven't seen rain once.... Thats concerning and odd.

where?

BTW, it's not the hot season yet and some very sensible posters here can't handle the thats/that's issue mentally and physically...

I think next month is going to be killer. I hope it rains soon.

It doesn't make you lazy just you lose so much energy in the heat and feel so uncomfortable.

If its cold I just put on a jacket and a cup of hot coffee and I'm good to go. But when its hot its still going to be hot no matter what I wear. The less I wear the more mosquito bites I get.

Thailand would be a tough place to live without a/c during april-may. Well maybe Africa or Mongolia is worse.

I've tried driving with my car a/c not working once (it had a freon leak). It was just horrible stuck in traffic and no a/c. No air movement and black clouds coming from buses.

I am here four years have A/c but never use it and we live in Isan a shade warmer then bkk,I only use AC in the car.We have patlom in every room and that is what we use and on the moment not even the whole night early in the morning we switch the fan off to cold.We get up at 6 in the morning.

I used to work in Abu Dhabi 52 Centrigrade in the summer no place to hide in the dessert.

Its wonderful,been for a 10k walk today,got back home and had a cold shower and up for anything.Must admit my feet are a bit sore but a good massage will cure that.

If i had a choice between this weather and UK i would choose Thailand any day.

:o I agree.

I've been in BKK since the 17th of February. I left Athens at 1730 on the 16th. Temperature was 7 degrees centigrade with rain. Transited thru Istambul Turkey where the temperature about 2230 on the 16th was 2 degrees, with occasional freezing rain. Most of the time in BKK temperature has not gone above 35 degrees where I am. I admit I do sleep in an air-conditioned room, and now I'm typing this with a fan blowing on me.

If you think this is bad, wait until May with the temp at 37 degrees (or more) and near 100% humidity.

Given the choice I'll take BKK anytime.

:D

P.S. For those who do suffer, and sweat heavily, remember to keep you salt level up. Salt (or more precisely sodium) is a vital part of your body's electrolytes (in your blood) and is lost by sweating heavily. There are salt pills you can take, but a glass of water with a little salt dissolved in it works just as well. Just take a sip of the salt water from the glass...if it tastes really good to you, you may need to replenish your blood salt. In that case, finsh the glass.

Its wonderful,been for a 10k walk today,got back home and had a cold shower and up for anything.Must admit my feet are a bit sore but a good massage will cure that.

:o I agree.

I've been in BKK since the 17th of February. I left Athens at 1730 on the 16th. Temperature was 7 degrees centigrade with rain. Transited thru Istambul Turkey where the temperature about 2230 on the 16th was 2 degrees, with occasional freezing rain. Most of the time in BKK temperature has not gone above 35 degrees where I am. I admit I do sleep in an air-conditioned room, and now I'm typing this with a fan blowing on me.

If you think this is bad, wait until May with the temp at 37 degrees (or more) and near 100% humidity.

Given the choice I'll take BKK anytime.

:D

P.S. For those who do suffer, and sweat heavily, remember to keep you salt level up. Salt (or more precisely sodium) is a vital part of your body's electrolytes (in your blood) and is lost by sweating heavily. There are salt pills you can take, but a glass of water with a little salt dissolved in it works just as well. Just take a sip of the salt water from the glass...if it tastes really good to you, you may need to replenish your blood salt. In that case, finsh the glass.

Thank you oh so much for your PC response , not sure how I could live without such precision , oh , you got occasional freezing rain in the airport , I would suggest a detailed report on that to the appropriate government department , just have to keep every-one on thier toes you know .

When I first meet my wife she explaned to me that there are 3 seasons in thailand,,,I said what are they hot hotter and hottest season. She didnt quit grasp what I was saying..I lived in thailand for about 2 years before returning home to Canada with my wife, she stayed here for about 18 months and now she understands when I say 4 seasons they really are for seasons...

She and my family are now living back in BKK and I just left Thailand for my job and it was about 34cel there and I am going to northern Canada for 3 months and the weather there is -36cel.........SHOCK to the body ,,heat try working out side for 12 hours a day in -30 ,,,,,my wife said on the phone that I must miss thailand weather now,,,,

one extreme to the next,,,hahah <deleted> hot to F**king cold

have a good day need to cover up,

The day I left the UK my one-way car hire from Birmingham to Heathrow was cancelled because the hire company closed their LHR branch due to the snow. Having had the previous week's trip to Canada cancelled due to freezing fog I was grimly determined to make it out of the country, so took the coach with few other hardy souls and had an uneventful ride down through a frozen landscape.

It was 33 Celcius when I landed in BKK, couldn't have been happier :P

The pain in my arm which the UK winter brings on is at bay and my back pain is tolerable though aggravated by an unnaturally hard bed. I don't usually use the aircon now that I'm paying for it myself, but for the first week in a hotel It was on constantly to help with the heat acclimation. My Thai friend occasionally stays over (platonically - no really...) and she wants the aircon on at 20 C which brings back the pain in my arm. I don't understand why she sleeps almost fully dressed under a duvet with aircon on when I'm perfectly comfortable on top of the sheets with the (mossie-screened!) window open. Maybe when things get into the forties I will relent, but at the moment it's fine. During the day I have a pedestal fine to help both me and my desktop.

I do like the rain in BKK though; short, sharp and afterwards everything is fresh and clean (so long as you stay clear of open drains :D :D )

Rain in Bangkok also means:

Sitting in an open-air bar listening to the plink of water in the buckets under leaks in the roof. :o

People at shopping centre entrances handing out long, thin plastic bags to keep your brolly from dripping on their floor. :wai:

Loose paving blocks that squirt muddy water up your trouser leg. :D

Impromptu wet T-shirt competitions from the strangely unprepared natives (and not-so-strangely unprepared tourists) :D

Talking about weather i have been here for 105 days and haven't seen rain once.... Thats concerning and odd.

Live just north of Kanchanaburi and it has not rained here since the third week of October.

I don't mind the heat but wifey, Thai, has been whingeing her dear little head off these last couple of weeks.

You really know it's hot when she's the first to turn on the AC.

it seems like the winters get colder and the summers hotter,maybe it will be a scorcher this year.on samui its very hot right now,but we have the sea breezes,and the air is clean.

Look how australia had that heatwave this summer weeks of 45 plus degrees and UK and USA,so much snow and freezing temps.

I think the current weather seems hot because it came so soon after a especially cold winter which was great. UK weather is great for me - like the seasons and changeability of it - probably more changeable than almost any other country. Thai weather is ok, but boring except when it rains - that is much more exciting than the drizzle in the UK. Nothing, but nothing beats snow!