Irishman Commits Suicide At Suvarnabhumi Airport

Treborz

Seen elsewhere that a 24 year old Irish guy jumped from the roof of Suvarnabhumi airport last night and died. Can't find anything about it here although i could have missed it.

Anyone know anything?

Edit - Trying to get a link to the story but it was on Channel 3 news apparently and they showed the whole thing.

Edited by Treborz

has anyone any more details on this, and can you please be sensitive to the matter of this human life. im from dublin, and i think this may be a friend of ours but we are all waiting for confirmation on the circumstances surrounding his untimely death. the story has not yet been picked up by the irish media..any info you can pass on, like websites that have followed the story would be much appreciated,

thanks,

My girlfriend said it was on the news this morning saying that the guy apparently took his life because he had lost all of his money and couldn't go home, she added something about having money/belongings stolen at the airport.

Whatever did happen it's very tragic not only for the poor guy, his family and friends but also for the Thai people who have to deal with it, so lets keep this thread sensitive please.

has anyone any more details on this, and can you please be sensitive to the matter of this human life. im from dublin, and i think this may be a friend of ours but we are all waiting for confirmation on the circumstances surrounding his untimely death. the story has not yet been picked up by the irish media..any info you can pass on, like websites that have followed the story would be much appreciated,

thanks,

i agree . i have reported this to the mods

there are speculative comments now creeping in too. no facts just unsubstantiated comments

TBC, but my Thai staff who saw it on the TV says the Police guy said< "That others travelling with him said he did not have money to go home"

Now bear in mind this is 3rd party info so accurate or not I don't know.

Very sad, regardless.

yes very sad, and we don't know the full story as you very rightly and properly suggest.

unfortunately, this then starts other posters commenting as if the facts are as stated,

this man's friends and family may be searching forums in thailand for information on their son brother boyfriend or whatever, and it is unpleaseant for them to see disrespectful comments. the test should be to only post what you would be happy for family and friends to read.

again, i have no problems with your post given your caveats - that is after all what a forum is for, to post news, opinions, and comments from other sources.

you were right to post the way you did. others should have been more careful.

TBC, but my Thai staff who saw it on the TV says the Police guy said< "That others travelling with him said he did not have money to go home"

Now bear in mind this is 3rd party info so accurate or not I don't know.

Very sad, regardless.

yes very sad, and we don't know the full story as you very rightly and properly suggest.

unfortunately, this then starts other posters commenting as if the facts are as stated,

this man's friends and family may be searching forums in thailand for information on their son brother boyfriend or whatever, and it is unpleaseant for them to see disrespectful comments. the test should be to only post what you would be happy for family and friends to read.

again, i have no problems with your post given your caveats - that is after all what a forum is for, to post news, opinions, and comments from other sources.

you were right to post the way you did. others should have been more careful.

I feel much better with your approval of my post. :o The fact of the matter is that it is over and done with, the reasons why he did it are irrelavant actually in the larger picture.

Topic should be closed IMO.

I watched this on the news last night. the report said the 22 year old irishman came here for a month long holiday but ran out of money after 2 weeks and no one would help him out. The film footage was from a mobile phone camera rather than CCTV. lots of people standing round watching as usual. He jumped from the top floor link to the carpark, not the roof. I will keep my opinions to myself, this is the only info i have.

I haven't found an article on the net, however, the news report last night reported that the young man from Ireland came to visit Thailand for one month, ran out of money, was at the airport begging money from passers by, and then started making threatening moves to jump from the walkway for a few minutes before he met his demise.

RIP. :o

Seems like a very odd story soundman......there has to be more to it than that. If you come to thailand for one month.....theres always a return ticket & how does one suddenly run out of money once they reach the airport?

There is obviously alot more to be learnt in this one? Strange, very strange.

I haven't found an article on the net, however, the news report last night reported that the young man from Ireland came to visit Thailand for one month, ran out of money, was at the airport begging money from passers by,

That's also what my wife told me that was on the news. She was asking me why nobody would help him, she would have given him money if she could have. She felt quite sorry for him. :o

Indeed a sad situation.

My wife watched the report on Thai news and she told me that no one would help him. He had no ticket and no money. She quizzed me as to why his embassy/consulate wouldn't help him. I had no answer for her other than to tell her that he likely didn't ask them for help. In any case it's a shame that someone that young would choose to go that route.

I haven't found an article on the net, however, the news report last night reported that the young man from Ireland came to visit Thailand for one month, ran out of money, was at the airport begging money from passers by,

That's also what my wife told me that was on the news. She was asking me why nobody would help him, she would have given him money if she could have. She felt quite sorry for him. :o

Indeed a sad situation.

Pue speculation but I'd hazard a guess they just brushed him off as just another scammer. It's case like this that make you hesitate before giving people the bums rush.

How he ran out of a month's money after a fortnight is anybody's guess but there's a thousand ways in Thailand to do just that.

RIP

CCTV footage was aired on local Thai News last night showing the complete chain of events. Very graphic. If anybody comes accross an English language news article, please post.

could mods delete disrespectful and crude posts

It was a mod who posted above but he's only asking more information. I can not see anything disrespectful or crude above.

I do agree that people could be bit more considerate before posting on these threads but take a look on some of the other recent threads regarding suicides. There we are shooting away and speculating on physics of decapitation and making jokes about the poor lad and here we call closure... Strange huh :o

My condolences to the family and friends.

thank you for the information you have posted on the subject,this is a guy from our local community, an easy going friendly lad who had been to thailand many times before.if anyone sees english language news stories on this could you paste the link, details are coming very slowly to ireland,

thank you

aw this is very sad, a 22 year old kid for chrissakes! you would think someone would have given him the time of day! he probably could have gotten money enough for a bus to a temple at least, for a bed and food and a step up. it does make you think twice about brushing off supposed "scammers" though eh?... i can totally see how someone could have gotten into this position by being robbed or otherwise... not everyone has nice families, friends, or a "home" to go back to.

As sad as this is the supposition that he did it just because he had run out of money just doesnt hold water, there is more to this than meets the eye and I would imagine it will come out in the coming days.

His mate posted earlier that the guy had been to Thailand many times before so he would have known the ropes and the options open to him. If he had been to LOS a few times he was not some young untravelled newbie that was overwhelmed by the situation.

I have just watched the ' Cencored ' Video online.... he was on the railings for what looked a long time...

why oh why did no one help him !! .... not even the police seem to do anything??? ........

on another note, do they have english speaking staff at the airport who could have spoken to him ??? ... as he seemed very agitated, and appeared at first as if it was just a cry for help.