Wearing A Suit For An Interview In Thailand ?

Avante

Hi guys,

Just wana double check something. Would i be deem as a joke of the day if i were to wear a suit,shirt and tie combo to an interview with a prospective employer here in Thailand?

Alot of pple advise me against this. Shirt and tie is the way to go they say. Nobody wear a suit here in Thailand for a simple interview they said. When in Thai do as the Thais do they said. Its freaking hot they said.

just like to check with you guys opinions. What do u suggest? It a very big international company by the way.

Regards

It a very big international company by the way.

It depends on the position, but if management I certainly would, especially considering the above. We've had a series of job interviews here recently for a management position (Thai and at a university) and they all wore suits.

You can easily be under dressed for an interview, but you can never be over dressed so go with the suit to be sure.

I nearly always wear a suit to the office and have never one been deemed 'joke of the day'.

But please stay from the top hat and tails. :o

What can yu loose plus if aircon likelyif your in shirtsleeves freeze

You can always remove jacket if unlikely a fan room etc

You can always look at the other staff going in on recce visit to check locale and journey time etc

If your going marketing manager at the hairdressers Katoeys "R"Us

a Gold Lame catsuit is tops while at

Waterford Golf course Plus fours and an Ulster homburg etc

If Karmic wheeler dealership at local Wat Roti and Doti polished pate and white pjs

Pattay Bar manager Thongs Bermuda shorts beer belly(compulsary) tatoo and offensive T shirt almost over paunch de rigeur bad teeth optional (comes as standard with Poms and Irish we were too used to free dentsitry)

Seriously good luck with the job as my Officer in the NAVY told me

YOU NEVER GET A SECOND CHANCE TO MAKE A FIRST IMPREESION glib but true think of when u first saw your lady?

You can easily be under dressed for an interview, but you can never be over dressed so go with the suit to be sure.

I nearly always wear a suit to the office and have never one been deemed 'joke of the day'.

That's the point.....under dressed may look bad. Overdressed doesn't matter.

Care your socks....I used to wear old socks with holes in Europe....but here you may need to take out your shoes and than it looks very funny.

To add: If you apply for a job at the Harley Hells Bells Gay Tattoo shop you may consider different clothes than at UOB Foreign Investment Key Account Department.

And as mentioned before: To wear trousers is always recommended.

Edited by h90

Thanks all mates. I am finally assured now and will go with the suit . I just hope i dun sweat like a tap on the actual day lol . Coming Songkran soon..the hottest day in the whole year.

If you have one or can afford it, a good quality silk suit will help keep you cool. Also, you only need to wear the jacket and tie when you get to the appointment.

Try to arrive early so you don't have to run or worry about being late - both causes of sweating.

Re-hearse the journey - if it's not via an air-con taxi, check just how hot the route is. There are often some short cuts through air-conned malls and shops to help keep you cool, rather than walking in the street.

Thanks all mates. I am finally assured now and will go with the suit . I just hope i dun sweat like a tap on the actual day lol . Coming Songkran soon..the hottest day in the whole year.

Do what you would do back home,dont worry about the thai's what they think and do.

Wear a suit mate you will look the bizzzzzzzzz

• 2 months later...

I got a great job in THailand wearing a ski suit.

Mind you it was running the first Chiang Mai ski slope, so that might have been why.

Seriously, suit, worst thing is looking at badly dressed aging english teachers with appalling fashion sense, that is a common impression that the more snazzily dressed can fight against.

Except private employment like teaching at home, wear suit.

Outfit is about decoration, occasion and position in Thailand. You can see the graduation ceramonies, we wear robes. You can also see sweating suit-clad folks at outdoor party. It's so cool, outdoor party like Farang in the film, we need to dress properly..

In Singapore they don't like suit, they feel effectivenes is clever. They just show off the otherway round..

I work as a financial advisor and if I didn't turn up in a suit,I wouldn't get the job!Plus everywhere in Bangkok,taxis are air-conditioned to -10 degrees!

If I'm wearing shorts and vest and know I'll be taking a taxi,I take a jacket with me for long trips otherwise my teeth are chattering by the end of the journey! :)

After years of wearing suits, changing them twice a day (and shaving at the same frequency) to always be neat as an executive in the hospitality industry: I gave up...

Now, I am self-employed and I am wearing what I want but always with "casual chic" in my mind.

Few years ago, I had this meeting in Singapore with people from ClubMed (head office), knowing they were Parisian, I wore my best Hugo Boss suit (dress to impress); but when arrived in the boardroom, all of them were wearing Bermuda shorts & fancy shirts.

That was followed by a big laugh and an 'easy-going" contract in my hands...

Like we say in French: "L'habit ne fait pas le moine"

Translation: "A robe doesn't make a monk" (which is, actually, quite accurate in Thailand!)