Tourist Visa To Non-o Retirement

I HAD thought it was possible to change a tourist visa to NON-IMMAGRANT 0 RETIREMENT Status without leaving and applying outside Thailand. I meet all the requirements: age, monthly income etc etc. Is it NOT possible to apply from within Thailand? Or must I leave.

Also, I am told (by US Consulate in CM) that the formal criminal background check may or may not be required at the discretion of the Immigration Officer and that IF it was required, the Fingerprinting could only be done at BBK Police Headquarters. I have been fingerprinted in the US many many years ago as part of an application for SEC/CFTC Broker application. Does anyone have experience used previously supplied fingerprints (though for a different purpose) to obtain the required Criminal Background Check?

If leaving Thailand is the only option available, which SE Asian Embassy/Consulate would be the most lenient?

Thanks

Edited by sailaway2000

I HAD thought it was possible to change a tourist visa to NON-IMMAGRANT 0 RETIREMENT Status without leaving and applying outside Thailand. I meet all the requirements: age, monthly income etc etc. Is it NOT possible to apply from within Thailand? Or must I leave.

Also, I am told (by US Consulate in CM) that the formal criminal background check may or may not be required at the discretion of the Immigration Officer and that IF it was required, the Fingerprinting could only be done at BBK Police Headquarters. I have been fingerprinted in the US many many years ago as part of an application for SEC/CFTC Broker application. Does anyone have experience used previously supplied fingerprints (though for a different purpose) to obtain the required Criminal Background Check?

If leaving Thailand is the only option available, which SE Asian Embassy/Consulate would be the most lenient?

Thanks

If you have at least 21 days left on your current stay and meet the financial requirements you can change to a Non O Visa at Immigration for a fee of 2,000 Baht. With this Visa you can apply for a 12 month extension based on retirement within the last 30 days. 1,900 Baht. The requirements are here. You need 2.22

There is no security check.

I recently did so and the result was 27 individually counted rubber stamps that were entered in my passport to document the event.I figured the 3,900 baht total went for ink pads.

For 3900 baht, sounds like you got both a conversion *and* your 12-month extension the same day? If so, nice work. What Immigration office -- and was the 12-month extension dated from the day you got it -- or 3-months down the road, when the Non Imm O and related permitted period would expire? Thanx.

I recently did so and the result was 27 individually counted rubber stamps that were entered in my passport to document the event.I figured the 3,900 baht total went for ink pads.

For 3900 baht, sounds like you got both a conversion *and* your 12-month extension the same day? If so, nice work. What Immigration office -- and was the 12-month extension dated from the day you got it -- or 3-months down the road, when the Non Imm O and related permitted period would expire? Thanx.

Yes, the 3,900 "ink pad fee" was for both converting the visa to a new non-O visa and then a year extension based on that. I did them one after the other in the office on the same date in about 40 minutes.

Sriracha Immigration office. Once the visa was converted, I was given a new arrival to Thailand stamp and based on the new non-O visa issued, I was given a "good until" date 90 days from that date.

The year-long extension was then done and was based on the "good until" date of my new arrival stamp, so my new "good until" date is 15 months from the date that all of this was actually conducted on. Can't beat that with a stick.

The year-long extension was then done and was based on the "good until" date of my new arrival stamp, so my new "good until" date is 15 months from the date that all of this was actually conducted on. Can't beat that with a stick.

Now, that's how things should work. If you've got all the i's dotted, and t's crossed, why should you have to come back to Immigration in 60 days to get the final step -- 1-year extension -- processed. Fortunately, some, but not all, Immigration offices seem to be going this route lately.