Avo Tree

hlfourie

Hi all, can somebody please tell me if an Avo tree will succesfully grow in the Pattaya area

That's avocado I assume and yes it shall. Now do you want fruit? If so i would recommend to plant three different types. Even though the Avocado is unique in the fact that the flower is male with pollen the first day it opens and then becomes female thereafter to set fruit I have found that different varieties planted together stimulates the setting of fruit. We grafted many different varieties onto the same tree with literally no success. Probably almost 6 - 8 different ones and never got any fruit in California. then when we planted a new tree, after one year, the big monster tree of nearly 20 years started to put out a bunch of fruit.

The tree can be a bit quirky and if you plant many your odds will get much better. The tree has a fiberous root system so it doesn't need deep watering similar to a mango tree, for example, as its roots are near the surface and it needs constant and shallow watering at the drip line (where the canopy of the tree doesn't shade the ground). Good luck and enjoyable eating.

Hi all, can somebody please tell me if an Avo tree will succesfully grow in the Pattaya area

That's avocado I assume and yes it shall. Now do you want fruit? If so i would recommend to plant three different types. Even though the Avocado is unique in the fact that the flower is male with pollen the first day it opens and then becomes female thereafter to set fruit I have found that different varieties planted together stimulates the setting of fruit. We grafted many different varieties onto the same tree with literally no success. Probably almost 6 - 8 different ones and never got any fruit in California. then when we planted a new tree, after one year, the big monster tree of nearly 20 years started to put out a bunch of fruit.

The tree can be a bit quirky and if you plant many your odds will get much better. The tree has a fiberous root system so it doesn't need deep watering similar to a mango tree, for example, as its roots are near the surface and it needs constant and shallow watering at the drip line (where the canopy of the tree doesn't shade the ground). Good luck and enjoyable eating.

Thank you very much for your reply and good advice which i shall follow, do you perhaps know where I can buy small trees.

On the weekends there is a plant and flower market on the Sukhumvit rd., next to the Mcdonalds opposite Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital. You should be able to find one there or order one for the next week.

Thank you very much that is a great help and will go check it out..