Is It Time To Welcome Back The Backpackers ?

ttthailand

With the world economy in a down spin and the Thailand tourist numbers dropping as well perhaps it's time for Thailand to welcome back the Backpackers and the not so high paying tourists. Will they want to come after the bad rap they received ? Perhaps a "Sorry Joe" is in line...

A return of the old back to back visas and 30 day visa runs would also bring in tons of needed cash.

Bar opening and closing hours in some areas could also be changed...perhaps open 24 hr.

I believe it will happen sooner or later the only question is when....

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the world economy in a down spin and the Thailand tourist numbers dropping as well perhaps it's time for Thailand to welcome back the Backpackers and the not so high paying tourists. Will they want to come after the bad rap they received ? Perhaps a "Sorry Joe" is in line...

A return of the old back to back visas and 30 day visa runs would also bring in tons of needed cash.

Bar opening and closing hours in some areas could also be changed...perhaps open 24 hr.

I believe it will happen sooner or later the only question is when....

By God, or in this case maybe, Buddha, I hope you are right regarding the bars.

Why do they want the backpackers back? Is there a teacher shortage?

Backpackers spend money also...maybe not as much as some but they spend. Their flights cost the same as 90 percent of others...

The sign should be changed to "All Welcome" not the current "Backpackers Stay Out".

:o:D :D

But let's get serial. Backpackers lack panache. They do not buy pancakes, as I did for breakfast today, for about 110 baht, with syrup and bacon bits (yumm). Backpackers and Kao Sahn Road smell bad, and do not get 300-baht massages (without the extra body contact). The TAT never goes to backpacker banquets.

:o:D :D

But let's get serial. Backpackers lack panache. They do not buy pancakes, as I did for breakfast today, for about 110 baht, with syrup and bacon bits (yumm). Backpackers and Kao Sahn Road smell bad, and do not get 300-baht massages (without the extra body contact). The TAT never goes to backpacker banquets.

You have a way with words PB :D

I was just going to say smelly, scruffy, tight ars f###ers. But you put it eloquently, so much better :D

Didn't notice backpackers were absent.

FYI: they are the backbone of the roots of all things that came here...for Westerners to live in Thailand

AND:

To be energetic young and have a backpack on the shoulders to explore the world is paradise some people here will never experience in their whole life.

Edited by Birdman

Why should backpackers spend a lot of money? A lot of people that go backpacking want to do it for cheap, either because they think it's a better experience or because they don't actually have a lot of money to spend. I don't get why some people have such a problem with them, if you're hanging about places where you spend a lot you probably ain't going to be in contact with them much anyway.

FYI: they are the backbone of the roots of all things that came here...for Westerners to live in Thailand

AND:

To be energetic young and have a backpack on the shoulders to explore the world is paradise some people here will never experience in their whole life.

With this crash going on we may have a few backpackers in the making....prior big spenders...

What goes around comes around...

AND:

With this crash going on we may have a few backpackers in the making....prior big spenders...

you didn't understand one word I was saying

Edited by Birdman

:o:D:D

yes let's get real.

Thailand needs quantity. If total revenue is greater with backpackers then that is what the economic crisis here and the tourist industy needs.

AND:

you didn't understand one word I was saying

I totally understand you and agree 100%.

What I mean is that the same people who knock backpackers may be in the same boat soon.

Some of you sour old people on here.......

PB should work for the UN. A trouble radar.

My son is a backpacker. Just back from doing voluntary work in Madagascar. Finished International politics at Uni. Quite right, Thailand is too good for this cheap Charlie.

Regards.

Hello, as to backpackers, many do have money. I have backpacked all over the world. Not the tourist areas, Canoed the Zambezi river hiked mount Kilimanjaro slept in the Libyan dessert Sahara dessert canoed through the Canadian north country , hiked through the grand canyon to name a few things I have done of many..And I am a backpacker. Always made good money to afford me the ability to take trips, extreme travel. My gear I have 4 of everything 4 tents 4 sleeping bags 4 Gore-Tex jackets with the different weight liners etc. The average cost of my sleeping bags is about $1000.00us each and my tents. The reason I have 4 of everything is depends on where I am going in the world. Requires different equipment.

And as to people who say backpackers don’t have money I disagree. When I go in to the northern parts of Canada and get dropped of and hike, canoe out most of the people that I see doing this are well to do people that like adventure. To spend a week in the bush with no sign of a human being is indescribable and the equipment they need to do this is the best that money can buy because your comfort level and survival is directly proportionate to the quality of your equipment..

I sometimes go with a friend of mine who is a chief account that makes about $300,000 us a year don’t consider him poor. And the cost to fly us in and then get back to where we live after coming out of the bush costs money. We are both back packers.

My friends take bets when I went to some dangerous places in the world to see if I would make it back or not in 1 piece. My travel agent deals with extreme travelers and he told me that the only of his clients that do what I do for backpacking like me have money. But usually after I have come out from 1 of my trips I do treat myself to a 5 star. Spent a week canoeing the Florida everglades after coming out I went to Disney land 5star for 3 days to recoup ha-ha. I do these types of things after I come out of the bush or jungle after a few weeks in.

And when I went to Asia, I wanted to hike the mountains in China, among other things. When I first got there. In Thailand used Bangkok as a decompression zone for Southeast Asia.

When I go out on my adventures, I would always keep my ID in 3 separate places on my body, I usually put $5000.00 in an account at western union so if I got my credit cards stolen or something happened I had access to cash money and always kept on my body about $5000.00 also as a reserve in case I needed it. But I used my credit cards and bank machines and never dipped in to my emergency money.My wife at that time us to let me go on these extreme trips alone but I had to take her somewhere in the world she wanted to go when we went together, like France, England, most of the US many parts of Canada.

The people I have done some of these trips with are Accountants, one friend flys 747-400 etc and we are backpackers.

To finish of I AM A BACKPACKER they are not all with out money.

To anyone who couldn't be bothered to trawl through that lot..... William is a backpacker with more money than most.

Regards.

Great synopsis. Thank you. I started to read William's post, got overwhelmed with information and thankfully found yours.

I don't mind backpackers, but wish they would

1. Bathe--Thai people are very hygienic. Backpackers with 3-4 days beard stubble, unwashed clothes, etc. are not going to endear them to the Thai people no matter how much money they spend.

2. Stop trying to dress like hippies. The '60's are over. Get over it.

Backpackers spend money also...maybe not as much as some but they spend. Their flights cost the same as 90 percent of others...

Backpackers spend ,,, 90% ... I think you meant to say "of their money getting to Thailand"

But why should getting a visa be an issue to a backpacker?

To anyone who couldn't be bothered to trawl through that lot..... William is a backpacker with more money than most.

Regards.

meh - he's a trekker, not a backpacker. backpackers take ultra economy class back home to decompress, not stay in a 5* hotel. trekkers are an entirely different breed from backpackers - trekkers have lots of money, backpackers generally don't. but now i've found a new breed of trekker - one who downgrades his expensive experiences by calling them backpacking. good luck to you.

Thailand's loss is Laos', Vietnam's and Cambodia's gain.

They will all overtake Thailand as the destination of choice for the backpacker or 'budget traveller' in the near future by the very nature of what they currently offer.

Thailand is now too expensive, lacks the freedom it used to have and is a magnet for mass sex-tourism. Among other factors of course.

Having travelled to all three competitors very recently I can assuredly say I enjoyed my visits to each of them enormously, more so than I have done on R&R in Thailand in the past 18 months.

interestingly, i have a few friends with wakeboard businesses, biking tour companies and the like. never underestimate the ability of this next generation of back packers to drop decent cash for a new experience.

they spend the money, just selectively and not where you might think

They will all overtake Thailand as the destination of choice for the backpacker or 'budget traveller' in the near future by the very nature of what they currently offer.

Thailand is now too expensive, lacks the freedom it used to have and is a magnet for mass sex-tourism. Among other factors of course.

Having travelled to all three competitors very recently I can assuredly say I enjoyed my visits to each of them enormously, more so than I have done on R&R in Thailand in the past 18 months.

i beg to differ.

while prices have risen, there is still HUGE value for money to be had everywhere. As for freedom, that too is abundant, especially if you understand that this freedom is a priveledge rather than a right.

Regards.

Great synopsis. Thank you. I started to read William's post, got overwhelmed with information and thankfully found yours.

I don't mind backpackers, but wish they would

1. Bathe--Thai people are very hygienic. Backpackers with 3-4 days beard stubble, unwashed clothes, etc. are not going to endear them to the Thai people no matter how much money they spend.

2. Stop trying to dress like hippies. The '60's are over. Get over it.

cant say i can be assed to shave on the weekend, much less daily when i am in my house at the beach.

as for backpackers stinking, after a ride from bangkok to surat in a bus, van, or a train, or any other longish haul surface travel destination without a shower in sight, a bit of a pong is to be expected. not to mention the stench of fear clinging to anyone who sat up front and could watch the road on a bus trip, especially an overnighter.

as for those that dress like hippies (they may well actually be hippies), they are on the decline.

many backpackers travel light, discard clothing rather than cart it around from place to place, and purchase what is cheap and available when and as they need it. they are limited to what is availble, and all too frequently the choices are limited.

i can say that conversations i have with backpackers (travellers seems a more appropriate term) are generally quite cliche and uninspiring, but i understand what they are doing and often wish i could do it all again myself.

but for my responsibilties i would leave tomorrow, but i would stay in much nicer places this time.

i am muntered, so i will cease all posting here.

Thailand got too expensive for backpackers, but maybe Cambodia will step up and welcome them. My only "backpacking" experience was an evening in Khao San, went to a club there and trust me, 200 baht for a Jack-Coke, didn't sounded exactly like backpacker's price.

Edited by alexth

i beg to differ.

while prices have risen, there is still HUGE value for money to be had everywhere. As for freedom, that too is abundant, especially if you understand that this freedom is a priveledge rather than a right.

I just got back from Vietnam yesterday.

The number one complaint from nearly every tourist I met was Thailand was getting too expensive.

It's spelt 'privilege' BTW! It sort of blunts your sanctimonious lectures if you can't even spell it correctly.

Hello, as to backpackers, many do have money. I have backpacked all over the world. Not the tourist areas, Canoed the Zambezi river hiked mount Kilimanjaro slept in the Libyan dessert Sahara dessert canoed through the Canadian north country , hiked through the grand canyon to name a few things I have done of many..And I am a backpacker. Always made good money to afford me the ability to take trips, extreme travel. My gear I have 4 of everything 4 tents 4 sleeping bags 4 Gore-Tex jackets with the different weight liners etc. The average cost of my sleeping bags is about $1000.00us each and my tents. The reason I have 4 of everything is depends on where I am going in the world. Requires different equipment.

And as to people who say backpackers don’t have money I disagree. When I go in to the northern parts of Canada and get dropped of and hike, canoe out most of the people that I see doing this are well to do people that like adventure. To spend a week in the bush with no sign of a human being is indescribable and the equipment they need to do this is the best that money can buy because your comfort level and survival is directly proportionate to the quality of your equipment..

I sometimes go with a friend of mine who is a chief account that makes about $300,000 us a year don’t consider him poor. And the cost to fly us in and then get back to where we live after coming out of the bush costs money. We are both back packers.

My friends take bets when I went to some dangerous places in the world to see if I would make it back or not in 1 piece. My travel agent deals with extreme travelers and he told me that the only of his clients that do what I do for backpacking like me have money. But usually after I have come out from 1 of my trips I do treat myself to a 5 star. Spent a week canoeing the Florida everglades after coming out I went to Disney land 5star for 3 days to recoup ha-ha. I do these types of things after I come out of the bush or jungle after a few weeks in.

And when I went to Asia, I wanted to hike the mountains in China, among other things. When I first got there. In Thailand used Bangkok as a decompression zone for Southeast Asia.

When I go out on my adventures, I would always keep my ID in 3 separate places on my body, I usually put $5000.00 in an account at western union so if I got my credit cards stolen or something happened I had access to cash money and always kept on my body about $5000.00 also as a reserve in case I needed it. But I used my credit cards and bank machines and never dipped in to my emergency money.My wife at that time us to let me go on these extreme trips alone but I had to take her somewhere in the world she wanted to go when we went together, like France, England, most of the US many parts of Canada.

The people I have done some of these trips with are Accountants, one friend flys 747-400 etc and we are backpackers.

To finish of I AM A BACKPACKER they are not all with out money.

i have seen some of the other comments on this response, but feel i need to add something.

mate you are NOT a backpacker, but you are in denial.

you are also quite pleased with yourself, and above all, quite funny. was the 5k stored anally?

it sounds like you have a good thing going, but get over yourself and your gear addiction and just have fun.

Edited by t.s

A direct answer to the question.

Absolutely not.

whys that!!....nothing wrong with the backpacking fraternity, or is it the "old fat balding, sex tourist farang men" getting envious of their youth and certainly their intelligence!. I am sure many of us have backpacked in our lives (so have my kids and I) and certainly they didnt end up in ex pat clubs discussing where to get good lamb chops ! Its very touching watching "backpackers" at various "killing field" sites throughout Cambodia, bow their heads in recognition of what happened and showing their respect, great to see them explore beautiful asia, refreshing to see them without having a woman on their arm who is 20 years younger. I feel for the western woman who gets accused of being "fat and ugly" in these forums, there are fat and ugly everywhere so what? does it make them any less of a person. I dont know where half of the bloggers have been but there are some seriously beautiful western women out there all earning their own money and certainly not looking for the fat male farang. Pathetic!

i beg to differ.

I just got back from Vietnam yesterday.

The number one complaint from nearly every tourist I met was Thailand was getting too expensive.

It's spelt 'privilege' BTW! It sort of blunts your sanctimonious lectures if you can't even spell it correctly.

come on, im pissed, give me one spelling mistake. i did pause to give it some thought. i guessed wrong.

sanctimonious? i was going for pompous or pedantic, but guess i overshot.

thanks for the attention though. i crave it.

now that i think about it, your username pretty much sums up the tone i was shooting for.

edit: spelling mistake. would not want to get slapped down for the same crime twice

Edited by t.s