Is It Time To Welcome Back The Backpackers ?

ttthailand

Thailand got too expensive for backpackers, but maybe Cambodia will step up and welcome them. My only "backpacking" experience was an evening in Khao San, went to a club there and trust me, 200 baht for a Jack-Coke, didn't sounded exactly like backpacker's price.

That is expensive, and if that's you're only experience it's easy to see how you came to the wrong conclusion. You can get an entire bottle of whiskey at a club in KSR for not much more than you paid for one drink.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My brother and 5/6 of his friends bought a round the world ticket 10 years ago just after leaving Uni, they travelled with backpacks on a budget then.

10 years on they are all earning 50,000GBP plus a year and still visit Thailand, surely its in the interest of Thailand to attract the young who will return for many years more so then anyone else.

Edited by sanmiguel

Why do they want the backpackers back? Is there a teacher shortage?
:D:D:D

But let's get serial. Backpackers lack panache. They do not buy pancakes, as I did for breakfast today, for about 110 baht, with syrup and bacon bits (yumm). Backpackers and Kao Sahn Road smell bad, and do not get 300-baht massages (without the extra body contact). The TAT never goes to backpacker banquets.

I went to the Kao San Road once, full of dread locked hippy types, smelling of petunia oil and haggling over a 20baht dish.

Backpackers :o families :wai: Pancakes, maple syrup and bacon bits :D:P :jerk: :burp::burp:

My brother and 5/6 of his friends bought a round the world ticket 10 years ago just after leaving Uni, they travelled with backpacks on a budget then.

10 years on they are all earning 50,000GBP plus a year and still visit Thailand, surely its in the interest of Thailand to attract the young who will return for many years more so then anyone else.

....yes San Miguel, the old farts that are complaining are probably jealous that the young and virile will steal their women :o:D

Don't worry your ass so much you picky people , the way things are going in Thailand at this time with no usefull skids on the horizon , smelly/dumb/scruffy cheap backpackers or any-one else for that matter that has a buck in his jeans , will be gladly welcomed by vendors trying to cope to feed thier families . It is not even just the cost of things that are driving people across the borders into other countries , it is as much , if not more , the general attitude of Thai towards visitors , they are like T.S , bloody sanctimonious and think they are above everybody . Nasty comments , snide looks and the "We don't need you here " responses , lack of service , poor workmanship and especialy 'Mai-pen-rai' are beginning to bite back , give it a while and watch the exodus of even more buisiness ventures , coupled with expats returning to thier 'Terrible' countries where there are safety nets . The smug are to take a hit also , so watch what you say and improve how you treat people , the global recession is rearing a much pickier genre of traveller , who will by-pass the type of destination that Thailand has become over the last several years , neigbours are far friendlier and more tolerant besides being less expensive . :o

I feel for the western woman who gets accused of being "fat and ugly" in these forums, there are fat and ugly everywhere so what? does it make them any less of a person.
fat male farang...pathetic!...old fat balding farang men...the old farts
there are fat and ugly everywhere so what? does it make them any less of a person.

Answer yourself Edwin please before we all go crazy.

But seriously, is there any group of people that thaivisa members actually like? Teachers, no. English football fans, no. People who set up bars, no. Backpackers, no.

I only ask because I have a fairly strong dislike for almost everyone myself and i'm beginning to think I could probably fit in on this forum.

But seriously, is there any group of people that thaivisa members actually like?

We like fellow extremely well educated millionaire expats who have Phd educated Thai/Chinese partners, folk who have never visited any of the immoral tourist areas, those that deplore the westernisation of Thailand and have never in any way shape or form participated in this desctruction, and those who know more about Thai society then the average bear.

Why you reckon you have the criteria to join our gang?

With the world economy in a down spin and the Thailand tourist numbers dropping as well perhaps it's time for Thailand to welcome back the Backpackers and the not so high paying tourists. Will they want to come after the bad rap they received ? Perhaps a "Sorry Joe" is in line...

A return of the old back to back visas and 30 day visa runs would also bring in tons of needed cash.

Bar opening and closing hours in some areas could also be changed...perhaps open 24 hr.

I believe it will happen sooner or later the only question is when....

By God, or in this case maybe, Buddha, I hope you are right regarding the bars.

Who cares about the smelly little creatures, only people make any money are street food vendors. They only drink happy hour or get plastered in their room.

bars open 24 hours now thats a reason to celebrate :o

Hello, as to backpackers, many do have money. I have backpacked all over the world. Not the tourist areas, Canoed the Zambezi river hiked mount Kilimanjaro slept in the Libyan dessert Sahara dessert canoed through the Canadian north country , hiked through the grand canyon to name a few things I have done of many..And I am a backpacker.

To finish of I AM A BACKPACKER they are not all with out money.

Mate if you had the money then you would have got a power boat down the Zambezi, got a helicopter to the top of Kilimanjaro and stayed at a nice hotel in the Libyan desert, you would also have hired a 4by4 to go thru the Canadian north country and done the same for the Grand Canyon. Tell the truth, you're poor. :o

Just kidding. Well done.

Just walk around Khao San road and see how many Thai's are making a living servicing their needs, from family run Guest House's to food stalls.

Individual backpacker's may not put a lot of money into the economy, but collectively they keep a lot of Thai's employed.

Edited by johna

I believe the OP will find that back-to-back visas are back, only for 14/15 days at land-borders, that was one welcome change last November.

But agree that the reduction from 30 days was not helpful, to keeping Thailand's tourist-industry jogging along, how about boosting it to 60 days on-arrival, wherever/however people arrive ? ! :o

If Malaysia can do me 90 days, surely Thailand can manage 60, at least ! :D

Edited by Ricardo

Thailand got too expensive for backpackers, but maybe Cambodia will step up and welcome them. My only "backpacking" experience was an evening in Khao San, went to a club there and trust me, 200 baht for a Jack-Coke, didn't sounded exactly like backpacker's price.

Cambodia most defiantly does, always has with opium and weed available everywhere its a haven and dirt cheap. You right Thailand is not for hardcore backpacking to expensive for sure.

With the world economy in a down spin and the Thailand tourist numbers dropping as well perhaps it's time for Thailand to welcome back the Backpackers and the not so high paying tourists. Will they want to come after the bad rap they received ? Perhaps a "Sorry Joe" is in line...

A return of the old back to back visas and 30 day visa runs would also bring in tons of needed cash.

Bar opening and closing hours in some areas could also be changed...perhaps open 24 hr.

Listen to all the experts.

I think we need to define “backpacker”

When I first started traveling around the world you could hitch hike and sleep in a tent pretty much anywhere.

My brother took the Hippie trail from the UK to India, overland using public transport through Turkey, Afghanistan, and Pakistan.

Today that’s not just impossible it would be suicidal.

Recently my brother came out to visit me with just a small bag he could throw over his shoulder he traveled all over Thailand mostly using the railways.

He stays in hotels that charge less than 1000 ฿ a night; all in all I guess he spent over

120.000 ฿ while in Thailand for 2 months, and that does not include air tickets.

My brother would fall into your definition of backpacker, and the only objection he would make is that some of you seem to think backpackers never take a bath.

So what is wrong with this kind of tourist?

To anyone who couldn't be bothered to trawl through that lot..... William is a backpacker with more money than most.

Regards.

Great synopsis. Thank you. I started to read William's post, got overwhelmed with information and thankfully found yours.

I don't mind backpackers, but wish they would

1. Bathe--Thai people are very hygienic. Backpackers with 3-4 days beard stubble, unwashed clothes, etc. are not going to endear them to the Thai people no matter how much money they spend.

2. Stop trying to dress like hippies. The '60's are over. Get over it.

cant say i can be assed to shave on the weekend, much less daily when i am in my house at the beach.

as for backpackers stinking, after a ride from bangkok to surat in a bus, van, or a train, or any other longish haul surface travel destination without a shower in sight, a bit of a pong is to be expected. not to mention the stench of fear clinging to anyone who sat up front and could watch the road on a bus trip, especially an overnighter.

as for those that dress like hippies (they may well actually be hippies), they are on the decline.

many backpackers travel light, discard clothing rather than cart it around from place to place, and purchase what is cheap and available when and as they need it. they are limited to what is availble, and all too frequently the choices are limited.

i can say that conversations i have with backpackers (travellers seems a more appropriate term) are generally quite cliche and uninspiring, but i understand what they are doing and often wish i could do it all again myself.

but for my responsibilties i would leave tomorrow, but i would stay in much nicer places this time.

i am muntered, so i will cease all posting here.

I would disagree most strongly about calling them travellers! IMO a traveller is one who seeks out new and less visited places to experience, while a backpacker is just a tourist with a bag on their back instead of a suitcase. I rarely see bagpackers out looking at places away from the flock, and they seem to mainly inhabit restaurants in bagpacker ghettos, sucking on a beer and watching B movies on TV. The highlight of their visit to Thailand would appear to be the FMP and seeing how many buckets they can swill.

Travellers, NOT.

Backpackers actually started tourism in Thailand - and should be credited for that.

Ko Samui started with the famous Full Moon Party - which at the time was frequented by a bunch of hippies in the late 70's. Ko Samui is now well and truly on the map.

What a lot of people forget is whilst Backpackers dont spend a huge amount of money - they may return in the future when they have, money, good jobs, families etc and stay at the more expensive places and spend more.

While they may stay at 200 baht rooms, they might spend 1000 baht on beer and partying every night!

Backpackers are usually just young people, who have finished college or taking some time out to explore the world - I cant see why we give them such a hard time on this forum. I guess the bad ones make the example for everyone - just like the expats!

I like backpackers. Too tight to pay for a taxi, they walk from Phuket Airport to my hotel, (where I recently installed camping tents). Then they quibble about the tent price per night, settle for a measly 300 baht a night and then spend 1,000 baht on food and beer in my restaurant :o

Simon

PS - oops! - just saw the post above from Crossbones. I rest my case.

Edited by simon43

I really don't mind backpackers that much aside from my complaints about hygiene and dressing like hippies. But the fact is, where I go in Thailand, I just don't interact with them. You want to know where they are? Khao San. I really don't go to Khao San that much because I, as well as others who have spent time in Thailand beyond a 2 week vacation, know where to go. The backpackers stick to the same old areas--which I do not go to.

However, I think people are overestimating the importance of the backpacker or tourism in general for Thailand. I hear alot of people saying that Thailand is dying for tourism, and need the backpackers. Well the fact is, Thailand is a fairly large country, and there are other things going on bringing in money other than tourism. If the film industry in Los Angeles died suddenly one day, L.A. would still go on because there are other businesses there that feed the economy. If Tourism in Thailand up and died, life would still go on. Thailand has a huge supply of natural gas in the South, and is a large exporter of food and manufactured goods. In my family, NO ONE works in the tourism area, or comes into regular contact with falangs.

Talk all you want about how many people in Khao San depend on backpackers. Well if the backpackers disappeared, it would suck for some street vendors and hostel owners on Khao San. But the world of Thailand outside of Khao San would really not notice. Nevermind even the rest of Thailand, the city of Bangkok outside of Khao San wouldn't even notice.

Edited by submaniac

dam_n right!

I've been saying this for a while too.

Relax the bar hours completely, bin the bs visa runs and get back to courier-runs (pre 2000 style) and stop overbuilding the tourists cities to the near non-existant mega-bucks tourists.

There's waaay to many straight-laced samsonite brigade stomping about these days. I don't mean to offend the old dudes and ladies out there but the age-range is seriously skewed towards the geriatric.

Generally, with backpackers tending to be younger and fresher there's more going on with them being around.

Trouble is the £ is light at the moment and the baht is heavy, so it's a waiting game my friend.

The demographics of backpackers has changed immensely since the initial arrival. Nowadays they are infant - ......

I was going to fill in an age but I met a backpacker once who was 90yrs - I kid you not.

The average backpacker is nowadays just as likely to have a wheelie (suitcase). In fact I doubt you could spot at the airport who was backpacking and who not. Quite often you see people with backpacks checking in at 5 star hotels.

About the closest classification you can find is someone spending less on accommodation per night and using land transport instead of flights. As said before, these people will often think nothing of splashing out on a big meal and copious amounts of alcohol. Then of course you have those residing in 5 star hotels who frequent the 7-11 and street stalls rather than expensive restaurants. Tourists really do come in all shapes/sizes and tendencies. I think the category of backpacker is pretty much redundant.

Of course nowadays your average backpacker is more interested in free wifi than banana pancakes. In fact he/she maybe working from the laptop to fund the extended holiday.

The demographics of backpackers has changed immensely since the initial arrival. Nowadays they are infant - ......

I was going to fill in an age but I met a backpacker once who was 90yrs - I kid you not.

The average backpacker is nowadays just as likely to have a wheelie (suitcase). In fact I doubt you could spot at the airport who was backpacking and who not. Quite often you see people with backpacks checking in at 5 star hotels.

About the closest classification you can find is someone spending less on accommodation per night and using land transport instead of flights. As said before, these people will often think nothing of splashing out on a big meal and copious amounts of alcohol. Then of course you have those residing in 5 star hotels who frequent the 7-11 and street stalls rather than expensive restaurants. Tourists really do come in all shapes/sizes and tendencies. I think the category of backpacker is pretty much redundant.

Of course nowadays your average backpacker is more interested in free wifi than banana pancakes. In fact he/she maybe working from the laptop to fund the extended holiday.

Thank you cmsally for your thought out response to what I thought was a serious post , very interesting slant on the thread , not like what has become the norm on too many TV threads . :o

Thank you cmsally for your thought out response to what I thought was a serious post , very interesting slant on the thread , not like what has become the norm on too many TV threads . :o

I do have a rather unfair advantage when forming my viewpoints; in that I have businesses both at the backpacker and tourist (3-5 star) level of the tourism market.

Don't worry your ass so much you picky people , the way things are going in Thailand at this time with no usefull skids on the horizon , smelly/dumb/scruffy cheap backpackers or any-one else for that matter that has a buck in his jeans , will be gladly welcomed by vendors trying to cope to feed thier families . It is not even just the cost of things that are driving people across the borders into other countries , it is as much , if not more , the general attitude of Thai towards visitors , they are like T.S , bloody sanctimonious and think they are above everybody . Nasty comments , snide looks and the "We don't need you here " responses , lack of service , poor workmanship and especialy 'Mai-pen-rai' are beginning to bite back , give it a while and watch the exodus of even more buisiness ventures , coupled with expats returning to thier 'Terrible' countries where there are safety nets . The smug are to take a hit also , so watch what you say and improve how you treat people , the global recession is rearing a much pickier genre of traveller , who will by-pass the type of destination that Thailand has become over the last several years , neigbours are far friendlier and more tolerant besides being less expensive . :o

dumball, as always it is nice to have made an impression, thanks for noticing me.

oh, and congratulations on limiting your response to words you know how to use.

well done.

The chickens are coming home to roost.

The time for a major attitude adjustment and some soul-searching among the Thais involved in the tourism sector is long overdue.

I vote with my feet. I live and work in Thailand but spend nearly all my free time and spending money in neighbouring countries.

And FYI I'm certainly no backpacker, $500 a day is my average spend.

dumball, as always it is nice to have made an impression, thanks for noticing me.

oh, and congratulations on limiting your response to words you know how to use.

well done.

Sorry , I tried to use words you may be capable of reading and interpreting in the correct format in which they were written , I used to (At one time) use words of which I was capable of spelling , understanding and using in a comprehensive and cohesive manner , then I asked myself "Self , who are you trying to impress " I have dummed down to present day usage , but not sufficiently for people such as yourself who pick on peoples spelling and then use words they are incapable of spelling without 'Over ride' . You are not quite as smart as you give yourself the false impression you think you are . Do yourself an immense service , join the status quo , many will be more impressed by your 'True self' than the false image you attempt to project , you do come across as a person with reasonable intelligence , why ruin it ?

The chickens are coming home to roost.

The time for a major attitude adjustment and some soul-searching among the Thais involved in the tourism sector is long overdue.

I vote with my feet. I live and work in Thailand but spend nearly all my free time and spending money in neighbouring countries.

And FYI I'm certainly no backpacker, $500 a day is my average spend.

I thank you for your back up on an otherwise lonely forum , I am entitled to my opinion and will continue to give it despite , and probably because of , constant adversity , what a dull world this would become if we all reverted to 'Rote' posting , as in Thai ' Rote education , getting kind of close though !!!!!!!!!

for over 5 of the 8 years i lived in thailand, i worked as a tour leader. ALL of my guests were backpackers, but this definition was only because the bag we asked them to carry was a backpack. this enabled us to travel easier as a group, and it meant that they had to carry their own bags.

my guests ranged from doctors and lawyers to students and coalminers. no two were the same, but they ALL spent a good amount of money.

it is well known that a 'backpacker' will spend longer in a country and possibly spend more money overall than a short term tourist.

in 1999 when i first moved to Thailand, i used to frequent Khao San Rd a lot, as my office was just one street away. back then, yes, it was barefoot 'hippies' with dreadlocks and tye die. that changed over the years, though, and whilst they do still exist (as they do in every country) i can say that Khao San Road has gone 'up market' somewhat. there are rooms there that sell at 2500thb per night, and these are usually full. there are some nicer restaurants there (of course not 5* but they are OK) and of course the street food.

when the airport was closed a lot of companies hosting these 'backpackers' suffered, and they continue to do so, but i do believe that they will return. i havent been to Khao San Road for some time, but will be there next week. i dont expect to see a deserted road at all.

this demographic does keep a lot of people employed. from the cheapie 'hostels' to street food vendors, to the cheap beauty parlours, to massage therapists. these people DO tend to return later and spend a lot of money.

i dont see it fair to judge somebody just because of the bag they choose to carry!

Didn't notice backpackers were absent.

FYI: they are the backbone of the roots of all things that came here...for Westerners to live in Thailand

AND:

To be energetic young and have a backpack on the shoulders to explore the world is paradise some people here will never experience in their whole life.

Arrived with backpack in late 80's... travelled all over Asia.. Loved it so much I'm still here.. Not a potless backpacker anymore.. Sucessful consultant and have poured millions of Baht into the economy since my arrival.. What's more many of my expat friends started their life in Thailand in a similar way.. Not all backpackers are dirty, unwashed tight as*es... That's just the Uni grads :o

Backpacking/travelling introduced countless thousands of people to Thailand and Asia and planted a seed for them to stay or to return again in later life.. These same people buy Thai products and put money into the hands of local Thais rather than big business.. not to mention regalling their friends with their adventures in LOS... free marketing.. Pretty certain that most backpackers spent more in their 2 Month trip (often four Months+) than most 'quality tourists' spend in their 2 week once in a lifetime holiday...