Hospital Nightmare

kjbowman

After playing football with his friends in Phuket Town on Saturday 7th Feb, Josh borrowed a bike from a friend and headed back to his room to shower and change. Later that evening, another bike carrying a lady and her two children pulled out into the main road without looking; he swerved to avoid them and crashed.

He suffered a variety of injuries including three broken toes, several deep gashes to his torso, arms and feet. His neck, shoulders and arms black with bruising. Most worryingly, he cracked his head on the tarmac causing a severe blood clot and brain swelling.

The injuries to his body are slowly healing but he still has no idea what happened; some basic language is returning, as are some images from before the accident, but he doesn't recognise his friends and seems incapable of creating new memories.

He was brought to The Bangkok Phuket Hospital who treated him immediately and probably saved his life. However, when it became apparent that there was no insurance and that his family did not have the funds to cover the bill, they stopped treatment. BPH is a private, profit-making business and this is acceptable.

What is not acceptable is that they then refused to let his friends check him out of their five star hotel/hospital and take him to a State run hospital who would have happily treated him.

He was finally released when, screaming in pain, his thumbprint was forced onto the invoice like a criminal. By the time he reached the State hospital he had an infection in his foot because of a dirty wound which had not been cleaned in two days.

Josh did not ask to be taken to this hospital and did not deserve this treatment; but here's the real question; did the "ambulance" driver who brought him there receive a commission? Why wasn't he taken to the State hospital which was actually nearer to where the accident happened?

At the end of the day, none of this matters. What matters is that we have a wonderful young man who needs to return to the loving embrace of his family and the British National Health Service.

Many thanks to The Adventure Club and The Sportsbar in Phi Phi who helped in many ways, not least in raising over 75,000 Baht to cover some of Josh's medical expenses.

Thanks also to Kahnasutra Indian Restaurant in Phuket Town for organising a football tournament followed by a raffle of many kindly donated prizes.

If you're going for a drink next week, please go to O'Malley's Irish Pub in Phuket Town where the owner has promised 20% of all income to Josh, culminating in an evening of live music games and raffles on Saturday 7th March when all profits will go to helping our friend. Prizes for the raffle and auction gratefully accepted.

It's good to know that in this cynical world, with times so hard for so many, that the Expat community here are capable of such generosity.

If this had happened to someone else, Josh would have worked harder than anyone to help.

post-71723-1235843949.jpg

Edited by kjbowman

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wishing Josh a speedy recovery.

Well known fact in Thailand is that money takes president before life & humanity.

I do hope that TV lets this thread run for the next 24 hours or so.

Syl.

Edited by Syl

After playing football with his friends in Phuket Town on Saturday 7th Feb, Josh borrowed a bike from a friend and headed back to his room to shower and change. Later that evening, another bike carrying a lady and her two children pulled out into the main road without looking; he swerved to avoid them and crashed.

He suffered a variety of injuries including three broken toes, several deep gashes to his torso, arms and feet. His neck, shoulders and arms black with bruising. Most worryingly, he cracked his head on the tarmac causing a severe blood clot and brain swelling.

The injuries to his body are slowly healing but he still has no idea what happened; some basic language is returning, as are some images from before the accident, but he doesn't recognise his friends and seems incapable of creating new memories.

He was brought to The Bangkok Phuket Hospital who treated him immediately and probably saved his life. However, when it became apparent that there was no insurance and that his family did not have the funds to cover the bill, they stopped treatment. BPH is a private, profit-making business and this is acceptable.

What is not acceptable is that they then refused to let his friends check him out of their five star hotel/hospital and take him to a State run hospital who would have happily treated him.

He was finally released when, screaming in pain, his thumbprint was forced onto the invoice like a criminal. By the time he reached the State hospital he had an infection in his foot because of a dirty wound which had not been cleaned in two days.

Josh did not ask to be taken to this hospital and did not deserve this treatment; but here's the real question; did the "ambulance" driver who brought him there receive a commission? Why wasn't he taken to the State hospital which was actually nearer to where the accident happened?

At the end of the day, none of this matters. What matters is that we have a wonderful young man who needs to return to the loving embrace of his family and the British National Health Service.

Many thanks to The Adventure Club and The Sportsbar in Phi Phi who helped in many ways, not least in raising over 75,000 Baht to cover some of Josh's medical expenses.

Thanks also to Kahnasutra Indian Restaurant in Phuket Town for organising a football tournament followed by a raffle of many kindly donated prizes.

If you're going for a drink next week, please go to O'Malley's Irish Pub in Phuket Town where the owner has promised 20% of all income to Josh, culminating in an evening of live music games and raffles on Saturday 7th March when all profits will go to helping our friend. Prizes for the raffle and auction gratefully accepted.

It's good to know that in this cynical world, with times so hard for so many, that the Expat community here are capable of such generosity.

If this had happened to someone else, Josh would have worked harder than anyone to help.

Can I ask why he had no travel insurance

Probably not cause knowing all the bleeding hearts out there you will get shot down in flames soon for daring to suggest that someone would have the audacity to actually take resposibility for their own wellbeing. :o

Can I ask why he had no travel insurance

Edited by hagler

In the circumstances you show an admirable attitude and I wish Josh a speedy recovery.

Unfortunately it is all too common here for bikes to pull out without looking,after all, they own the roads

and the BP Hospital stinks for it's behaviour.

Earlier threads show I had similar experiences there two years ago, but I also survived although light of a large sum

Edited by Wellington

First of all I wish a very quick and good recovery.

About the relation between money and a healthy life here in Thailand has been said enough.

I completely follow one of the earlier posters:"Why was there no insurance" ??

Again and again I read requests for help and financial assistance for cases like this :o

His insurance expired at the end of January when he was supposed to leave the country. The trip was delayed and he forgot to extend it.

Careless? Yes.

A reason not to help him? No.

If there's anyone out there who has experience in dealing with head trauma recovery, we would greatly appreciate the opportunity talk with them. We're in over our heads.

Thanks.

He always wore his helmet, but rarely did up the chin-strap. We can only assume that it fell off.

As we all know, in Thailand a helmet is worn to avoid a fine, not to protect the head. Another victim of this wonderful but frighteningly insidious culture.

Edited by kjbowman

Return to NHS? Fk me that will really kill him, I'd recommend not going that route. :o

Actually, we've learned that few private hospitals provide long term brain trauma therapy. It's not very profitable as it requires lots of one-on-one time.

The NHS has dedicated brain trauma therapy centres, and they don't stop the care when you run out of money.

A good friend spent three years visiting an NHS Trauma Therapy team, and he speaks at length of how wonderful they were.

Edited by kjbowman

I don't care what the reason, it is immoral for a hospital to not provide treatment as long as people are in their premises. I understand the need to transfer people out of a private hospital to a cheaper hospital, but I think it is shameful that they withheld treatment. Hospitals are life and death, not like a restaurant. Lets get real here. They are SOAKING most of the paying patients. They have the money to subsidize some cases like the one described here.

Edited by Jingthing

Most farangs wear a crash helmet to protect their head.

Nevertheless,i hope the guy makes a speedy recovery and has no ill effects of this nasty injury.Lessons to be learned for us all too,dont let your private medical lapse.

He always wore his helmet, but rarely did up the chin-strap. We can only assume that it fell off.

As we all know, in Thailand a helmet is worn to avoid a fine, not to protect the head. Another victim of this wonderful but frighteningly insidious culture.

hmmm. So now it is the "insidious culltures" fault that someone didnt do up their helmet or make sure that it was suitable for the purpose and so rather than being the perpetrator of their own downfall they are a victim?. whats next ? it is the motorcycle manufacturers fault that they made the bike in the first place.

I feel sorry for the guy but like someone said earlier threads like this have been around time and time again...

Even though he had insurance that ran out,it would most likely NOT have covered him for riding a motorbike,as most travel insurances don't.Regardless,he is a human being,and one would hope his government might step in and help,it's not like they don't have the money.People can say"Oh how silly blah blah blah,but the honest truth is...Who of us have NOT done silly things as a youngster?Mate,get your local newspapers(Home country) to run the story,you would be amazed how much money can be raised.I hope it all goes well,and he makes an full recovery. :o

Why wasn't he taken to the State hospital which was actually nearer to where the accident happened?

The fact that the ambulance driver took him to the well-equipped private hospital, (as opposed to the under-funded state hospital), might possibly have saved his life...

Mistakes about renewing insurance are maybe believable. Being STUPID enough to wear a crash helmet without tightening the chin strap is totally inexcusable.

I hope Josh makes a speedy recovery. But it sounds like his own actions in failing to tighten his chin-strap has caused him a lot of pain, suffering and financial misery.

Flame away if you wish.

Simon

Edited by simon43

Is Josh the boozetooyoo owner?

I got a call from them claiming there boss had a accident and had difficulty remembering and a fundraiser was being put together.

Same guy?

How can i make a donation?

It is important to help someone in need.

Why wasn't he taken to the State hospital which was actually nearer to where the accident happened?

The fact that the ambulance driver took him to the well-equipped private hospital, (as opposed to the under-funded state hospital), might possibly have saved his life...

Mistakes about renewing insurance are maybe believable. Being STUPID enough to wear a crash helmet without tightening the chin strap is totally inexcusable.

I hope Josh makes a speedy recovery. But it sounds like his own actions in failing to tighten his chin-strap has caused him a lot of pain, suffering and financial misery.

Flame away if you wish.

Simon

C'mon Simon,i know you're better then this,and i have the utmost respect for you,but he is just a young lad,and we were all young once...Have you never made such a mistake as to feel "Hey,it's all good,it's NOT going to happen to me"?The amount of times i have looked back on my life and thought"WOW,I WAS A <deleted> FOR DOING THAT",is more then i care to remember.Thank god i was NOT in Thailand when i did have a serious motorcycle accident,because i would be dead. :o

Even though he had insurance that ran out,it would most likely NOT have covered him for riding a motorbike,as most travel insurances don't.Regardless,he is a human being,and one would hope his government might step in and help,it's not like they don't have the money.People can say"Oh how silly blah blah blah,but the honest truth is...Who of us have NOT done silly things as a youngster?Mate,get your local newspapers(Home country) to run the story,you would be amazed how much money can be raised.I hope it all goes well,and he makes an full recovery. :o

www.scarborougheveningnews.co.uk/news/39Please-help-get-our-injured.4990346.jp?

I am all for helping a hardluck case. However it should be stated as such. The fellow didn't wear a helmet properly, didn't take health insurance and didn't have sufficient funds available for an emergency. Is it possible you played up all the other details because a story that stuck only to the facts would not have elicited sympathy?

This sad story has some inconsistencies and that cause me to question some of your statements;

1. You state the incident attributable to" another bike carrying a lady and her two children pulled out into the main road without looking; he swerved to avoid them and crashed."

But then you state that he's had head trauma; "he still has no idea what happened."

If he had no idea what happened, how do we know this is what occurred? Were you present at the collision? If one of his friends was present to provide a reliable account, then why didn't that person direct where the patient should be taken?

2. You describe the injuries as follows; He suffered a variety of injuries including three broken toes, several deep gashes to his torso, arms and feet. His neck, shoulders and arms black with bruising. Most worryingly, he cracked his head on the tarmac causing a severe blood clot and brain swelling.

With the exception of the head trauma, these were not life threatening injuries within the context of a motorcycle collision. The head injury was sustained because the subject was not wearing his helmet properly. It's a lame excuse to say he was only wearing a helmet to avoid a fine. If he was back in his home country he would have been wearing his helmet properly. It was his decision not to wear his helmet, no one elses.

3. You state that BPH refused to let his friends check him out of their five star hotel/hospital and take him to a State run hospital who would have happily treated him.

Not necessarily. The state hospitals do not offer free medical care for foreigners. Although the fees and charges can be less than private facilities, they are not free to non residents.

To those that are commenting that the hospital denied care, read the statement again. The complaint is attributable to the hospital providing care.

Is it possible that the hospital said it would not process the discharge until an arrangement was made for payment for services rendered? There was no incentive for BPH to keep a patient on site, particulalry if the patient was destitute. When was the request for discharge made and when was the patient discharged? You are aware that a hospital is not supposed to discharge a patient until the attending physician signs off on the discharge papers. Even at a for profit hospital, the admin still follows the SOP of a hospital. Perhaps part of the delay was attributable to finding the physician so that the discharge could be processed. You don't really say how long the discharge took, but it was done with 24 hours of the request beiing made and the paperwork processed wasn't it?

4. You then state that He was finally released when, screaming in pain, his thumbprint was forced onto the invoice like a criminal. By the time he reached the State hospital he had an infection in his foot because of a dirty wound which had not been cleaned in two days.

Why would he be screaming in pain if the injuries were not to his thumb? The hospital had every right to ask for the thumbprint to document its file in respect to the monies owed. How do you know the wound had not been cleaned in 2 days? Were you monitoring the dressing changes? If there was a gash due to road impact, or perforation of the flesh when the toes were broken, then such an infection was to be expected. This is what often happens. How long did it take you to admit the patient into the new hospital?

5.Josh did not ask to be taken to this hospital and did not deserve this treatment; but here's the real question; did the "ambulance" driver who brought him there receive a commission? Why wasn't he taken to the State hospital which was actually nearer to where the accident happened?

The answer is that 99.9% of foreigners don't want to go to the local hospitals. They want the best quality available. The ambulance driver was acting based upon experience. Had he taken the patient to a public facility, the driver probably would have been criticized when the patient died in the ER. I'm sorry, but the trauma facilities are not the same at the public hospitals. Are you even aware that the public hospitals on Phuket have medical doctor shortages? It's been in the news for the past year. Do you think there would have been a trauma specialist or a neurologist at the local hospital when the patient arrived? I believe there would not have been.

6. At the end of the day, none of this matters. What matters is that we have a wonderful young man who needs to return to the loving embrace of his family and the British National Health Service.

Ok. Then let his loving family repatriate him. Oh, I know people will call me cold and callous. However, as a citizen of his country, he should be pleading his case to his national government and its NHS.

And to those that will rip into me for not being nice. Tough. I have paid for people that could not otherwise afford care. I know there are also many other people on TV that have done the same and done alot more than me. I state this because there is a difference between someone that could have taken precautions and those that truly are victims of fate. BPH is a reputable facility. To accuse the hospital of impropriety because the hospital followed SOP and kept the patient until he was deemed sufficient for discharge is unfair. We all know the healthcare situation in Thailand and should be responsible. Sooner or later we have to accept responsibility for our own decisions and actions.

Trix, yes I did many stupid things when I was younger. But it never, EVER crossed my mind to ride a motorbike without wearing a fastened crash-helmet and leathers - even in sweltering weather.

Maybe it's just me...

Simon

Trix, yes I did many stupid things when I was younger. But it never, EVER crossed my mind to ride a motorbike without wearing a fastened crash-helmet and leathers - even in sweltering weather.

Maybe it's just me...

Simon

I'm afraid i cannot claim such sensibilities... :o

www.scarborougheveningnews.co.uk/news/39Please-help-get-our-injured.4990346.jp?

You're on the right track then,especially with facebook!Good luck.

The description of the accident comes from the police report after they analysed the tyre tracks and took testimony from the Thai lady who caused the accident. She, and her two children are fine.

Well, that's a relief

I presume she didn't offer to contribute.

One can always attribute blame after the event

we weren't there so there has been a lot of guesswork in this thread.

But I still take the view the behaviour of the staff at The BP Hospital seems heartless and unnecessary.

To accuse the hospital of impropriety because the hospital followed SOP

If so, maybe the SOP needs review.

To put it another absurd way, suppose a prison had a torture policy, you might say:

To accuse the prison of impropriety because the prison followed SOP

Edited by Jingthing

harsh but true.This guy is 23???,so his parents are about late 40,s and they cannot help him.Yes we all did stuid things when we were young but we ddnt expect others to take care of you except family.

Realy hope he gets well asap but the family have the responsibility not the tv posters.If iw as in a bar and someone asked me to donate for him i would need as much info as you do know there are farang scammers in Thailand

I am all for helping a hardluck case.

Dear geriatrickid, you are clearly an articulate and cogent individual but your lengthy tirade smacks of axe grinding. As you can see, I have taken the liberty of a little edit.

Please no more of these bitter and negative lectures. Reading your post used several minutes of my life that I will never be able to get back.

Meanwhile, maybe Mr Bowman will be able to provide some bank details so that donations can be made directly?

Good luck to Josh and thank you to all those understanding souls who have recognised that youth can be foolhardy and that the charity and support of strangers when tragedy strikes in a strange land is heartwarming and invaluable, you have helped to reverse a little of my cynicism.

Responding to comments in bold made by Geriatrickid.

I am all for helping a hardluck case. However it should be stated as such. The fellow didn't wear a helmet properly, didn't take health insurance and didn't have sufficient funds available for an emergency. Is it possible you played up all the other details because a story that stuck only to the facts would not have elicited sympathy?

This sad story has some inconsistencies and that cause me to question some of your statements;

I just wonder how symphathetic the facts or story would have to be in order to elicit sympathy as you have put it. Would there be a need to say that the young man is totally disabled or still fighting for his life in order to get someone to listen to his story and to maybe feel for him? Yes, maybe he didn't wear a helmet properly, or didn't take health insurance and to make the matter worse, not have any funds...but isn't moving forward the right thing to focus on? Getting him proper treatment or raising funds for him to get back to his family who are anxious for his wellbeing. Come on, if he were a close friend of yours, or brother, or your nephew or grandchild, would you even pause to ask "didn't he have insurance? how did it happen?". Wouldn't the right question be, "How is he doing? How can we help?".

1. You state the incident attributable to" another bike carrying a lady and her two children pulled out into the main road without looking; he swerved to avoid them and crashed."

But then you state that he's had head trauma; "he still has no idea what happened."

If he had no idea what happened, how do we know this is what occurred? Were you present at the collision? If one of his friends was present to provide a reliable account, then why didn't that person direct where the patient should be taken?

As what was known, his friend was also injured and unconscious in the event and sent to the same hospital, but the lucky soul had money and still retained what's left of his memory other than the incident and even managed to check out the day after the incident. But the other young man wasn't so lucky, we were told that he came in unconscious and had to be assisted to breath using the respirators. His friends only managed to find him 3 days later by going to each hospital and asking for any John Doe. Imagine having to go back twice to the same hospital and only on the second time being able to find your injured friend.

2. You describe the injuries as follows; He suffered a variety of injuries including three broken toes, several deep gashes to his torso, arms and feet. His neck, shoulders and arms black with bruising. Most worryingly, he cracked his head on the tarmac causing a severe blood clot and brain swelling.

With the exception of the head trauma, these were not life threatening injuries within the context of a motorcycle collision. The head injury was sustained because the subject was not wearing his helmet properly. It's a lame excuse to say he was only wearing a helmet to avoid a fine. If he was back in his home country he would have been wearing his helmet properly. It was his decision not to wear his helmet, no one elses.

Yes, agreed, the other injuries are not life threatening. But u have to wonder if the blood clot in the brain would be life threatening. Sure, doctors do know everything about brain injuries. Again, I will refrain on commenting if he were wearing his helmet properly. For info, even if he were wearing his helmet properly, are you able to dictate what happens in an accident? An accident is an accident, and thankfully no life was lost. But his life will be affected for god knows how long.

3. You state that BPH refused to let his friends check him out of their five star hotel/hospital and take him to a State run hospital who would have happily treated him.

Not necessarily. The state hospitals do not offer free medical care for foreigners. Although the fees and charges can be less than private facilities, they are not free to non residents.

To those that are commenting that the hospital denied care, read the statement again. The complaint is attributable to the hospital providing care.

Yes, it isn't free. But it cost much much much less than what was charged by the private hospital, probably only 10%. Yes we know that private hospitals are a business but does life come first before money?

Is it possible that the hospital said it would not process the discharge until an arrangement was made for payment for services rendered? There was no incentive for BPH to keep a patient on site, particulalry if the patient was destitute. When was the request for discharge made and when was the patient discharged? You are aware that a hospital is not supposed to discharge a patient until the attending physician signs off on the discharge papers. Even at a for profit hospital, the admin still follows the SOP of a hospital. Perhaps part of the delay was attributable to finding the physician so that the discharge could be processed. You don't really say how long the discharge took, but it was done with 24 hours of the request beiing made and the paperwork processed wasn't it?

Well, hospitals are not suppose to discharge unless asked to? I also wonder at the same question. But are hospitals allowed to threaten to discharge when not asked to? And some SOP, they couldn't even trace a fax properly until they were asked to a second time.

4. You then state that He was finally released when, screaming in pain, his thumbprint was forced onto the invoice like a criminal. By the time he reached the State hospital he had an infection in his foot because of a dirty wound which had not been cleaned in two days.

Why would he be screaming in pain if the injuries were not to his thumb? The hospital had every right to ask for the thumbprint to document its file in respect to the monies owed. How do you know the wound had not been cleaned in 2 days? Were you monitoring the dressing changes? If there was a gash due to road impact, or perforation of the flesh when the toes were broken, then such an infection was to be expected. This is what often happens. How long did it take you to admit the patient into the new hospital?

And yes, I suppose its ethical to take the thumbprint of a man who is not fully conscious or able to reason for himself, and for some reason, to ask his friends to obtain the thumbprint of his, and when refused due to the fact of it being so unethical, threaten with a report to the police. I wonder where is the wrong doing in that?? Right, we would even agree that its reasonable for the hospital to get some sort of agreement on the payment. But how about sending the daily bill or any other papers to the family by fax and at least getting their agreement on what the poor young man was getting his thumbprint on? Am sure that sounds reasonable too, yes? It wasn't done, for info. They refused to send it before and only wanted to send it after his thumbprint was taken. Is that reasonable? Doesn't it make you wonder why?

And yes, there was someone there staying a few nights with him. Someone who had to ask for medicine on the last two days, ask for nurses to change bandages, and wait for all those to happen. On his last 24 hrs, only one pill was provided (when asked or begged for), one lousy painkiller. You would have wondered if his injuries required antibiotics to be continued. And to have private doctors tell you that he's well to be even discharged with no infections or no surgery required on his toes, and then immediately on transfer, govern doctor telling you that he needs surgery badly on his toes. And to have to watch nurses changing his bandages while he screams in pain, and to see his bandages stuck to his toe because the top part of pus had dried. How can they say that he doesn't have an infection when the wounds on his toes were greenish yellow??? How comfortable does it make you feel when you know that doctors only treat if their case has insurance or money in the pocket??

5.Josh did not ask to be taken to this hospital and did not deserve this treatment; but here's the real question; did the "ambulance" driver who brought him there receive a commission? Why wasn't he taken to the State hospital which was actually nearer to where the accident happened?

The answer is that 99.9% of foreigners don't want to go to the local hospitals. They want the best quality available. The ambulance driver was acting based upon experience. Had he taken the patient to a public facility, the driver probably would have been criticized when the patient died in the ER. I'm sorry, but the trauma facilities are not the same at the public hospitals. Are you even aware that the public hospitals on Phuket have medical doctor shortages? It's been in the news for the past year. Do you think there would have been a trauma specialist or a neurologist at the local hospital when the patient arrived? I believe there would not have been.

Well, well.. it is practised in Malaysia that in accident cases, victims are sent directly to the GOVERNMENT hospital. And only when relatives are traced, then it is up to them to be transfered or upgraded. Public hospitals may be short handed but they do have the professional capabilities just like the private hospitals to treat. But what i have seen, they have even more dedication than the Private Hospitals in carrying out their duties. And my dear, of course, there are trauma specialists on hand, am sure they are even on call 24 7. But I guess, I am being ignorant in assuming... just as you are...

6. At the end of the day, none of this matters. What matters is that we have a wonderful young man who needs to return to the loving embrace of his family and the British National Health Service.

Ok. Then let his loving family repatriate him. Oh, I know people will call me cold and callous. However, as a citizen of his country, he should be pleading his case to his national government and its NHS.

Yes, cold and callous. Its a pity because at some point in time, everyone needs help in whatever form, even those who have paid for insurance.

And to those that will rip into me for not being nice. Tough. I have paid for people that could not otherwise afford care. I know there are also many other people on TV that have done the same and done alot more than me. I state this because there is a difference between someone that could have taken precautions and those that truly are victims of fate. BPH is a reputable facility. To accuse the hospital of impropriety because the hospital followed SOP and kept the patient until he was deemed sufficient for discharge is unfair. We all know the healthcare situation in Thailand and should be responsible. Sooner or later we have to accept responsibility for our own decisions and actions.

Btw, am not ripping into you for not being nice. Am just ripping into you because you pay for insurance and seem ignorant enough to think that private hospitals are the best. Yes, maybe private hospitals has the professional skills to heal, or the fancy equipment, or the 5 star beds, but hey, shouldn't they have a conscience too? But then again, there's the sad fact. They are BUSINESS HOSPITALS. Yes, BPH no doubt has a reputable facility, but ask around, and you will know that they are only reputable if you have either insurance or money.

Anyways, I have to emphasis, its not how it transpired that is important. But now what is important, is to help someone in need, maybe in this case, to donate some money or gifts. As all, we one day may need help, and who knows..a perfect stranger may end up helping us.