Hdtv By Satellite

zzSleepyJohn

I notice the new Vietnamese satellite Vinasat 1 http://www.lyngsat.com/vina1.html carries free-to-air high definition TV, there are 3 channels in English on it, and the footprint easily covers most of Thailand with an ordinary 70cm KU-band dish.

I don't have an HDTV satellite receiver, or even an HDTV yet, but I tried pointing my KU band dish at Vinasat and setting my standard definition receiver to 10968H symbol rate 28800 to see if I could get a lock on that transponder. Of course without an HD receiver, I didn't expect to see any picture, but I did hope to get a symbol rate lock. I was disappointed. :o

I had no problem locking in on Vinasat's C-band channels on a C-band dish, so I knew where in the sky I ought to be looking for Vinasat on KU band, but nothing showed up on my KU band experiment.

Has anyone else thought of trying those HDTV channels on Vinasat, or for that matter trying any of the other free-to-air HDTV channels that on satellites that cove this region (e.g. Voom HD on Measat 3 or Luxe HD on Asaisat 2)? Whilst none of these are likely to be showing popular movies, I'd have thought anyone who already has an HDTV would benefit by going the extra mile to connect up to these satellite sources.

Or am I perhaps missing some other technical snag that would preclude getting HDTV programmes in Thailand this way?

Update - I've just tried to see if I could get a symbol rate lock on the transponders for Voom HD on Measat 3 and for CCTVHiV on Chinasat6B, but failed in both cases. Seems that when HD channels have their own exclusive transponders, an ordinary SD decoder can't lock in on the symbol stream at all.

Anyone know of a satellite equipment supplier in Thailand who sells HD decoders? I'm basically looking for a price and demo.

Or am I perhaps missing some other technical snag that would preclude getting HDTV programmes in Thailand this way?

Unfortunately lyngsat and other web based satellite lists are wrong as they are not free channels anymore and there are 8 channels in HD but now all encrypted. The one you tried on Measat 3 C Band is also encrypted now since November 08.

The only free HDTV channels we have are;

Thaicom 5 Ku = Truevisions Ch RS100 (the oldest Ku band HDTV in Asia) (in 1920x1080)

Asiasat 2 C band - Lux TV & Fashion TV (in 1920x1080)

Asiasat 3s C band - 9x in SD

If you have a DM500,600 or 7020 you can stream the channels to your PC and watch it on there, but far from an ideal solution. There are many HD set top boxes out there, but frankly hardly worth it for the limited channels, unless you are a first adopter :o