Opening A Bank Account

JimmyGreaves

I would like to open a bank account in BKK on a tourist visa.

Account should have card to use at ATM and english language internet banking if possible (really only used to check receipt of transfers from UK).

I tried during December to open accounts at various branches in bangkapi and lak si but was told that I needed a work permit. Is this true? If not could anyone supply me with address of a bank.

Regards

John

(sorry should of posted in General)

Edited by jflundy

I would like to open a bank account in BKK on a tourist visa.

Account should have card to use at ATM and english language internet banking if possible (really only used to check receipt of transfers from UK).

I tried during December to open accounts at various branches in bangkapi and lak si but was told that I needed a work permit. Is this true? If not could anyone supply me with address of a bank.

Regards

John

(sorry should of posted in General)

Siam commercial bank (thonglor branch). SCB and Bangkok bank seem to be the most lenient when it comes to no work permit.

I opened the type of account you want (Savings Account) with Krung Thai Bank in Pattaya, with 30-day Tourist Visa and 30,000 baht. Also ATM card and Internet access.

Siam Commercial are more co-operative, as is Kasikorn Bank (Thai Military Bank).

I don't know much about DBS in Bangkok, but I use them in Pattaya and Singapore.

As has been said in many threads on this forum, if you don't get help and satisfaction at one bank, visit the next, then the next .....

You will succeed, with patience. Especially if you try in the tourist areas.

What advantages are there to having a Thai bank account? I've been on a tourist visa and wouldn't want the hassle of managing another account even if it were free. ATM & credit cards cover everything I could possibly want.

A lot of people stay here long term on 30-day stamps/tourist visas, so it's save on atm fees with foreign cards. And it's not wise to carry large amounts of cash in LOS.

In Pattaya at Bangkok Bank opened a savings account with ATM card with 500bht initial deposit, I think you have to pay for the ATM card, at that time and during the whole process visa status did not come up and didn't cross my mind. The girl who did the paperwork was sitting at an open plan desk doing about three customers at once conveyor belt style (!) NO Problem. Am not aware of availability of internet banking on this account but you may know that there are plenty of ATM like machines available where you can update your savings book without having to queue up.

Edited by fisherd3

just one thing to watch for: I got an account with Bangkok Bank, and had to pay [iIRC] 350 baht extra for a visa card - only to find out later that the visa card only works in Thailand!!! So that makes it useless for paying for internet purchases, or anytime I go to Singapore etc.

With regard to the two previous posts. John, I opened an account with SCB (Jomtien branch) last March, all they required was my passport and an address in Thailand { a hotel address would have sufficed} received bank book and ATM card immedialtely (cost 500 bht for the card if my memory is correct) you need to have a PIN number handy as you will be asked to install it there and then.

In November I asked for internet access with their SCBEasy.com, again processed straight away (had to wait three days before I could log in) the interest rate then was 0.75% so not a place to leave large amounts. hope this helps, lou.

as far as I am aware bobmmm it's 0.75% for everyone both thai and foreigners whether resident of not. The problem I have is trying to rent a safety deposit box, iv'e tried many banks/branches, and without exception I am told that the boxes are full and that they do not keep a waiting list. Someone told me it's because of past trouble with falangs (don't know if this is true), lou.

KBii . . . if you go to this site scbeasy.com and click on scb easy net service (in the left hand column) it explains transfers and international payments, I have only ever viewed my account and checked transfers have arrived from uk, so can't comment further. lou

as far as I am aware bobmmm it's 0.75% for everyone both thai and foreigners whether resident of not. The problem I have is trying to rent a safety deposit box, iv'e tried many banks/branches, and without exception I am told that the boxes are full and that they do not keep a waiting list. Someone told me it's because of past trouble with falangs (don't know if this is true),  lou.

YES, some farangs never came back to open the safety box, so they now refuse to open one everywhere!

I opened an account with Thai Farmers Bank opposite Pantip Plaza about 12 years ago with no problem. A few years ago I also opened a Bangkok Bank account at the main branch in Silom, who then refused to allow me to pay into my account any foreign cheques made out to me! Had to have the account for six months, they said. Why? So all foreign cheques go into TFB instead. I got no questions about a work permit - I just produced my passport and got the ATM card for maybe 100 Baht (not sure of the amount).

As for internet access, I asked at Bangkok Bank and they said I had to have a work permit (why!), so I left it alone as I only live in BKK but work overseas a lot. Same same with applying for a Visa card. Citibank invited me to apply and then refused it as I have no work permit (why!). I already had a Thai Amex card through being a Gold flyer with Thai, two different Visa/Mastercards and a platinum Amex from the UK, but I couldn't get a simple Visa card from Citibank. No big deal. If they don't want my business I don't want to deal with them.

Thanks for the info frenchFB, ( would show you're post in "quotes", but I'm too stupid!! ), I was under the impression Thai banks were afraid of being robbed by westerners, so wouldn't rent out safe deposit boxes, I had draughted an email to SCB stating how law abiding, honest and don't have a shotgun type of guy I am (jing jing), thank Chr&st I read your post before sending ),

cheers, lou.

Try Bangkok bank, I opened one there with out too many problems.. Take a photo copy of your passport and tell them your wp is being proccessed, mine was... It may help if you are not trying to bank a small sum... :o

Ok it looks like the SCB will give me what I want from these posts (Account, ATM, Internet) Where is the main branch in BKK and has anybody opened here?

Bangkok Bank seems to allow but nobody has mentioned english internet access with these.

John

Try Bangkok bank, I opened one there with out too many problems.. Take a photo copy of your passport and tell them your wp is being proccessed, mine was... It may help if you are not trying to bank a small sum... :o

Ok it looks like the SCB will give me what I want from these posts (Account, ATM, Internet) Where is the main branch in BKK and has anybody opened here?

Bangkok Bank seems to allow but nobody has mentioned english internet access with these.

John

SCB thonglor (sukhumvit 55) still open account with just a passport, 100 baht fee to open, and 200 baht yearly for the atm card. This card seems better than Bangkokbank card, because you can withdraw outside thailand when there is the CIRRUS sign on atm.

SCB thonglor (sukhumvit 55) still open account with just a passport, 100 baht fee to open, and 200 baht yearly for the atm card. This card seems better than Bangkokbank card, because you can withdraw outside thailand when there is the CIRRUS sign on atm.

Actually Bangkok Bank has two types of atm card. The one for Thailand only is 100 baht per year.

I opened an account with Bank of Asia 2 years ago with tourist visa. But this year I wanted to open another new account and they told me I need a work permit. Bank of Asia was sold to some Singapore Bank group from Ambro last year and the service and management have gone down hill. So avoid this one.

Several of my friends who only have 30 day visa have opened accounts without any problem at Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn, Siam City Bank very recently. So check out these banks you should have no problem.