Multiple Entry Retirement Visa And Leaving Thailand

I am 50 year old US citizen and getting retirement visa next month. Heard that you can no longer get a mulitple entry retirement visa allowing you to leave the country but must instead pay for a multiple entry re-entry permit in addition to the visa. Is this true???

I am 50 year old US citizen and getting retirement visa next month. Heard that you can no longer get a mulitple entry retirement visa allowing you to leave the country but must instead pay for a multiple entry re-entry permit in addition to the visa. Is this true???

If you are talking about a 12 month extension from Immigration . You have always needed a Re Entry Permit to leave the country.

Single 1,000 Baht. Multi 3,800 Baht.

Where are you getting this so called retirement visa, in the US or Thailand. We need to know exactly what kind of visa you are talking about; i.e., Non-Immigrant "O-A", Non-Immigrant "O", or Extension of Temporary Stay based on retirement etc. Retirement visa is a generic term used by many people to mean many different things. Please specify what visa you expect to get. If necessary you can get a re-entry permit from immigration in Thailand to cover your travel needs.

basically the answer is yes. you need to pay another fee to get a re-entry permit, 1k for a single and 3.8k for muti, think of it as one item. 19+38, unless you are not leaving for a year. I always get the multi, then you have a year to come and go as you please, you can go to cambodia , if you want to , not cause you have too, big difference.

Ps

you dont get a retirement visa, you get an extension of stay for one year added on to your non imm o/a visa, this means you dont have leave every 90 days, there is a so called retirement visa, which requires you to leave every 90 days, not my idea of retirement. clear as mud, welcome to thailand.

It is true that in some countries, the Thai consulates or consular section of the embassy give only a single-entry non-OA visa. On arrival with this visa in Thailand you receive permission to stay for one year and if you want to leave and return to Thailand during this period you need a re-entry permit to keep the one-year permission to stay alive.

--

Maestro

IN October in Perth I got a multiple entry NonO-A.

AA Non O_A is a retirement visa issued in your home country and enables you to enter for one year. A normal non-O only lets you enter for 3 months and then you need to get an extension.,

AA Non O_A is a retirement visa issued in your home country and enables you to enter for one year. A normal non-O only lets you enter for 3 months and then you need to get an extension.,

I am not sure this is correct. My understanding is that non-Os can be issued for 12 months, but require you to do a border run (ie leave and re-enter Thailand) every 90 days.

Of course you can apply for a 12 month extension at any time during the initial 12 month period.

Edited by jackspratt

I am not sure this is correct. My understanding is that non-Os can be issued for 12 months, but require you to do a border run (ie leave and re-enter Thailand) every 90 days.

Of course you can apply for a 12 month extension at any time during the initial 12 month period.

Yes. A single entry is for 90 days. A multi entry can give you up to 15 months but needs a border run within 90 days of each stay.

A visa is just a permit to come to Thailand and ask for permisison to enter. Visas come in single and multiple form. A single gives you the right to travel once to Thailand and a multiple gives you the right to travel an unlimited times to Thailand within 1 year.

When they allow you to enter, they will give you a permission to stay. On a non-O that is 90 days, on a O-A that is 1 year. So with a multiple non-O you can extend your stay to almost 15 months, as long as you leave the country ebery 90 days. A multiple O-A would give you almost 2 years, as long as you leave and re-enter just before the 1 year period ends.

• 1 month later...
I am 50 year old US citizen and getting retirement visa next month. Heard that you can no longer get a multiple entry retirement visa allowing you to leave the country but must instead pay for a multiple entry re-entry permit in addition to the visa. Is this true???

It depends on the individual consulate, not the country, but as non-OA visas are issue only by “official” – ie government-staffed – consulates, not honorary consulates, the choice of consulates is limited. Members have posted that in the USA, Washington and Los Angeles only issue single-entry non-OA visas. Can’t remember seeing any post about Chicago.

--

Maestro

OK, I am confused.I was under the impression that a O-A visa with multiple entry, you could leave and return before the must be utilized date, you will get a year more on the visa.

as stated above

(A multiple O-A would give you almost 2 years, as long as you leave and re-enter just before the 1 year period ends.)

My friend looked at my visa and said no way,as there is no visa you can get that will allow that.

copy of my visa stamp

who is right?

OK, I am confused.I was under the impression that a O-A visa with multiple entry, you could leave and return before the must be utilized date, you will get a year more on the visa.

as stated above

(A multiple O-A would give you almost 2 years, as long as you leave and re-enter just before the 1 year period ends.)

My friend looked at my visa and said no way,as there is no visa you can get that will allow that.

copy of my visa stamp

who is right?

You are correct.

If you have a multiple entry non-oa each entry will give you a 1 year permit to stay. If you enter the day before it expires you will get another 1 year entry.

Any multiple entry visa works the same way. Only the permit to stay is different.

Your friend may not understand that once you enter the country it does not matter that your visa has expired. Only the permit to stay counts once you are in the country.

You guys you guys you guys....

Just show me where it says you get an automatic 1 year for leaving and returning on a multiple non-imm visa of ANY type.

After reading and researching close to 50 pages on this subject, I have seen much conflicting info and can find no other reference to being able to "stretch" a non-imm for another year. Not one person says they have done this themselves. If only one or two have done it, it may still be a fluke.

Everything I read sez "if you want to stay longer, you must apply for an extension".

The language is simple "“O-A” (Long Stay) This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working."

Comments?

'nuff said

~

You sent me a PM and I advised you that indeed the information here is correct and valid - every entry of a multi non immigrant OA visa gets a one year permitted to stay stamp - people have done it and people have posted about doing it.

Edited by lopburi3

Thanks lop... can you point me to these posts? or what search term do you use?

Isn't this a giant hole in the having to show you have a viable income year after year laws? How long can you go on leaving and entering, leaving and entering?

Just wondering.

ns

~

Thanks lop... can you point me to these posts? or what search term do you use?

Isn't this a giant hole in the having to show you have a viable income year after year laws? How long can you go on leaving and entering, leaving and entering?

Just wondering.

ns

~

I suggest you through this members posts you will find where he has done it.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/search.html&...sult_type=posts

It is not a long term thing - the visa is only valid for one year from day of issue (that does not change). So you can get almost a two year stay before you have to start using the normal one year extensions of stay.