Proper Procedures For Quitting Cigarettes

jerrycharles

My dad is addicted to smoking since last 20 years, earlier it didn’t had much effect but now when he is 50+ his cough level has considerably increased. He is also willing to quit smoking, but he always ended up smoking again. Can anyone help me find a proper guide or procedure to quit smoking permanently? Thanks in advance

What worked for me, was lifestyle change. Trying to stop smoking as an isolated activity didn't work. I'd stop for 20 hours, then someone would light up, and I'd want to also.

So, when I cleaned up my diet, got involved with some spiritual practices, and most of all, kept clear of people and situations that reeked of smoking - it worked.

My metabolism changed and therefore, my body and mind didn't crave for a nicotine fix.

It was also a social thing, as I only smoked with others around. Getting away from smokers was a big step to ending the addiction. Also, wouldn't hurt to have a bunch of aspirin nearby, as there could be headaches in the process. Same if you're trying to quit coffee addiction.

• 5 months later...

A replacement for smoking cigarettes are electronic cigarettes. Benefits of its are multiple: no secondhand smoke, bad breath, yellow teeth, smoke stains on walls. Its still give me my relaxing nicotine. I use them for 2 weeks and I'm very satisfied with the results. If you become a green smoker you will be exempted from money and health problems. Trust me! :)

• 2 months later...
My dad is addicted to smoking since last 20 years, earlier it didn’t had much effect but now when he is 50+ his cough level has considerably increased. He is also willing to quit smoking, but he always ended up smoking again. Can anyone help me find a proper guide or procedure to quit smoking permanently? Thanks in advance

Willpower to start with, plenty of things on the market to help people quit, try google it's your freind..

Failing that, put 2 nicotine patches over his eyes, he wont be able to find his fags. :)

I quit New Years eve 2001. Went on the nicotine patches. Had dreams that were out-of-this-world !!! After 2 weeks of 1 or 2 hours sleep a night, I gave up on the patches.

One side effect I had was a severe outbreak of cankers inside my mouth and all over my tongue. Due to the lack of cigs as a stress-reliever I believe. These went away after about a month.

Been cig-free ever since. But I still get the odd craving - go figure.

Was worse quiting cigs than booze tho' - brutal.

Good luck