Going Native.......

Marksamui

After reading these forums for the past couple of months I am surprised not by the amount of Expats with Thai wifes, but with the amount of Expats who with said wife live in a native/rural Thailand.

Really something like this is not for me and as much as possible I add a western influence onto things. My wife is really happy this way around.

I just thought that some posters seem to revel in the fact that they live a rural life in a Thai village. Just what they can possibly enjoy about this is beyond me.

I am sure plently will come and knock this, but really its each to their own, but it certainly is not for me...

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading these forums for the past couple of months I am surprised not by the amount of Expats with Thai wifes, but with the amount of Expats who with said wife live in a native/rural Thailand.

you ain't seen nothing yet. In Isan are villages full with Swiss

I just thought that some posters seem to revel in the fact that they live a rural life in a Thai village. Just what they can possibly enjoy about this is beyond me.

I am sure plently will come and knock this, but really its each to their own, but it certainly is not for me...

Different strokes for different folks, if we were all the same just think how boring it would be.

Personally I'm not sure the rural life would be my thing either. I was fairly close to it in central Viet Nam and there were the odd times I really missed some of the "comforts" of a more cosmopolitan location. Having said that I'd probably give it a go in the right circumstances.

you ain't seen nothing yet. In Isan are villages full with Swiss

Um,you're saying Issan is full of Swiss expats...?Right... :o Haha,i love country life,but need to be reasonably close to civilization....But country air smells so much nicer.And i would imagine it is a healthier lifestyle. :D

Different strokes for different folks, if we were all the same just think how boring it would be.

Personally I'm not sure the rural life would be my thing either. I was fairly close to it in central Viet Nam and there were the odd times I really missed some of the "comforts" of a more cosmopolitan location. Having said that I'd probably give it a go in the right circumstances.

Korea is actually a country never be spoken of here.

At least under an expat view of things

Wait a minute. There was once an arrest of corrupt politicians seen in the news. And the fights in parliament. Is that Korea?

Do you think we all live in Bamboo shacks and spend the night searching for frogs and tasty insects ?. :o

Search for insects .. ?? are you mad.. :D

Village life suits me, nice and peaceful.. no one bothers me. Gone native ? I don't consider myself as gone native, I still eat farang food when it suits me, either at home or in one of the couple of the restaurants in Kalasin that serve it. I have internet, UBC, electric, running water, a western style toilet, and wear shoes outside the house.

Totster :D

Shoes? What kind of shoes tho Tots? :D

My little island was pretty darn rural when I first came (dirt roads, no banks, no phones, no hospital, electricity on 6 pm to 6 am) , it was a tough adjustment but given that it is my husband's home and we have these kinds of views outside our front door, I prefer it over Bangkok any day :o

post-4641-1236001658_thumb.jpg

Things change along with people's minds. Six years ago if anyone would have told me that I would someday be happily living up country, I'd have told them they were insane.

I am now older and even more crotchety and I truly enjoy being left alone and having privacy. I enjoy my own company and encourage my Thai wife to go visit her family in the next village. She's happy and I'm happy.

My little island was pretty darn rural when I first came (dirt roads, no banks, no phones, no hospital, electricity on 6 pm to 6 am) , it was a tough adjustment but given that it is my husband's home and we have these kinds of views outside our front door, I prefer it over Bangkok any day :D

That's outside your front door?Looks like the perfect dream,beautiful. :o

My little island was pretty darn rural when I first came (dirt roads, no banks, no phones, no hospital, electricity on 6 pm to 6 am) , it was a tough adjustment but given that it is my husband's home and we have these kinds of views outside our front door, I prefer it over Bangkok any day :o

Truly stunning sbk.

My little island was pretty darn rural when I first came (dirt roads, no banks, no phones, no hospital, electricity on 6 pm to 6 am) , it was a tough adjustment but given that it is my husband's home and we have these kinds of views outside our front door, I prefer it over Bangkok any day :D

That's outside your front door?Looks like the perfect dream,beautiful. :o

Never made it to koh pangan (never could spell it or pronounce it either)

spent a lot of time on Koh tao before it went too commercial, hope Koh Pangans still Idyllic

I reckon your one hel_l of a lucky girl. :D

Exactly, it's beyond you.

When I worked in the City of London, do you know that most people commuted to work from leafier greener places , less polluted etc. Many of these people could have lived in the City but chose to live in a rural setting, it suits some, it will not suit all.

And for some people such as yourself, personal choice appears to be beyond you.

I'm quite sure if they didn't like it, they would move, no ?

Same as if you didn't like Thailand you wouldn't live here, no ?

Things change along with people's minds. Six years ago if anyone would have told me that I would someday be happily living up country, I'd have told them they were insane.

I am now older and even more crotchety and I truly enjoy being left alone and having privacy. I enjoy my own company and encourage my Thai wife to go visit her family in the next village. She's happy and I'm happy.

Gary, don't tell too many people about our little place up in the boonies, too many Farangs would screw it up.

Let them stay in Beautiful Bangkok. The pleasant driving conditions, the unhurried pace of life, the 35 baht big bottle of beer, the clean air, all these things pale into insignifigance compared to the permanent traffic jams pollution and high prices of Bangkok.

Let them stay there! :o

Exactly, it's beyond you.

When I worked in the City of London, do you know that most people commuted to work from leafier greener places , less polluted etc. Many of these people could have lived in the City but chose to live in a rural setting, it suits some, it will not suit all.

And for some people such as yourself, personal choice appears to be beyond you.

I'm quite sure if they didn't like it, they would move, no ?

Same as if you didn't like Thailand you wouldn't live here, no ?

I have a place in Rural Thailand, and a place in a tourist area, I leave my place in rural Thailand and go to the toursist are and am pizzed off immediately by the traffic problems, the pollution, the rip offs, the idiotic Farangs etc etc etc.

I will always keep my place in the tourist are cos I know I have a choice, and if I leave my house at 6 am, I'm in Soi 6 by 1 pm, again its all down to choice.

Would I wanna get old in Pattaya ?

Pattaya has gone to the dogs, the traffic is terrible, crime is rampant and basically it's a dump, but I lived there since 1990 and I will still keep a place there, but I consider my home to be up country.

Again it's personal choice. :o

I'm in Tokyo at the moment, ask me if I would wanna live here the rest of my life.....no way, I couldn't imagine it.

Edited by Maigo6

Only the ones with no pride would go native.

Odd statement from a self-confessed Libertarian.

Turn it around a bit, only the ones with no pride would go Libertarian.

If one makes sense, perhaps the other does as well.

When I was out in the sticks it wasn't exactly going native either. UBC, internet. We even had running water too and electricity :o

Plenty of fruit on the trees, peace and quiet and a good family atmosphere. Beers in the evening outside.

Ing Hoi. frogs n toads and birds n lizards. It was OK.

Then came the floods!!! And in the dry season, the dust!

Electricity? Not for hours at a time. Candel light or early to bed for a good snuggle up :D

I like it in town and out.

Gary, don't tell too many people about our little place up in the boonies, too many Farangs would screw it up.

Let them stay in Beautiful Bangkok. The pleasant driving conditions, the unhurried pace of life, the 35 baht big bottle of beer, the clean air, all these things pale into insignifigance compared to the permanent traffic jams pollution and high prices of Bangkok.

Must be heaven on earth.

:D

Must be heaven on earth.

One has a choice, in fact I have many choices, I choose what I like, if thats ok with the other ThaiVisa members that is.

Edited by Maigo6

Must be heaven on earth.

35 Baht ????? I have to pay 40 Baht at my local beer shop in Buriram province.

One has a choice, in fact I have many choices, I choose what I like, if thats ok with the other ThaiVisa members that is.