Going Native.......

Marksamui

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in Tokyo at the moment, ask me if I would wanna live here the rest of my life.....no way, I couldn't imagine it.

In what capacity? What do you know about Tokyo and what do you represent there? If it were you in some other thread who was buying iPod, you have no clue how that place runs.

When I came like you to Bangkok for 10 days, I hated it so much that I refused to come 2 months later for 14 days.

Instead, I managed to get someone else sent. That person is now a big boss in Australia and when I tried to get a position there he blocked me. He has never forgotten who boxed him with 14 days in Bangkok.

Ask me then and him now and then, would we live in Bangkok.

Shoes? What kind of shoes tho Tots? :D

My little island was pretty darn rural when I first came (dirt roads, no banks, no phones, no hospital, electricity on 6 pm to 6 am) , it was a tough adjustment but given that it is my husband's home and we have these kinds of views outside our front door, I prefer it over Bangkok any day :D

post-4641-1236001658_thumb.jpg

That's outside your front door?Looks like the perfect dream,beautiful. :o

C’mon, its just another sunset, happens every day. :D

Does not get lower a nd more native than this. Yuk!

Australians who live on slumdog millionaires' row - and love it

MATT WADE IN NEW DELHI

28/02/2009

MARK and Cathy Delaney don't need to see the hit movie Slumdog Millionaire. The Brisbane couple experience slum life in India every day.

For 13 years they have lived in the shanty towns of the Indian capital, New Delhi, raising their children and sharing their lives with the locals. Their two sons, Tom, 12, and Oscar, 7, were born in India and have lived most of their lives in slums.

The family home, in a neighbourhood called Janta Mazdoor Colony, is about the size of a typical Australian bedroom. They have no running water, no TV, no fridge and no washing machine. Two mattresses, used to sleep on at night, double as a "lounge" during the day. Meals are eaten sitting on the floor and they share with neighbours a squat toilet in a small bathroom.

But the Delaneys are not complaining. For them, living in a slum has been deeply enriching.

"It baffles us that more people in Australia who say they are sick of their lives don't do something like we have," says Cathy Delaney, who holds a masters' degree in pure mathematics.

"The longer we have stayed here the more we can see the positive effect it has had on us as people. I feel much freer of money and possessions - these things don't define my life."

Full article

Edited by think_too_mut

I just thought that some posters seem to revel in the fact that they live a rural life in a Thai village. Just what they can possibly enjoy about this is beyond me.

I am sure plently will come and knock this, but really its each to their own, but it certainly is not for me...

Different strokes for different folks, if we were all the same just think how boring it would be.

Personally I'm not sure the rural life would be my thing either. I was fairly close to it in central Viet Nam and there were the odd times I really missed some of the "comforts" of a more cosmopolitan location. Having said that I'd probably give it a go in the right circumstances.

Korea is actually a country never be spoken of here.

At least under an expat view of things

Wait a minute. There was once an arrest of corrupt politicians seen in the news. And the fights in parliament. Is that Korea?

Is that a fact? Obviously you've missed the recent thread on living in the country. Mai bpen rai, I'm sure you enjoy your life in isolation. It might come as a shock to your system but some of us, whilst being based in Thailand, worlk elsewhere in the world.

And yes you are correct corruption is part of life here just like in Thailand except they arrest the ones that get caught not allow them to leave the country. Yes, there was also a bout of fisticufs in their parliament recently certainly adds a bit of spice to those mind numbing debates politicians of all nations seem to love so much. So you see, despite your assertions to the contrary, you are not totally ignorant of the world outside Thailand.

btw I actually mentioned Viet Nam in my reply. You are not getting you geography all muddled up are you? Korea is the dangly bit up near Japan, Viet Nam is the long skinny bit the other side of Laos and Cambodia. Those two are east of Thailand, if you are up early morning east is towards the sunrise.

I have a place in Rural Thailand, and a place in a tourist area, I leave my place in rural Thailand and go to the toursist are and am pizzed off immediately by the traffic problems, the pollution, the rip offs, the idiotic Farangs etc etc etc.

Maigo, It would be very difficult for you to escape yourself. :D (even a 1000hp fortuner wont help you) :o

I'm in Tokyo at the moment, ask me if I would wanna live here the rest of my life.....no way, I couldn't imagine it.

In what capacity? What do you know about Tokyo and what do you represent there? If it were you in some other thread who was buying iPod, you have no clue how that place runs.

When I came like you to Bangkok for 10 days, I hated it so much that I refused to come 2 months later for 14 days.

Instead, I managed to get someone else sent. That person is now a big boss in Australia and when I tried to get a position there he blocked me. He has never forgotten who boxed him with 14 days in Bangkok.

Maybe you should think_a_littlemore, maybe there's another more probable reason you are being blocked?

Things change along with people's minds. Six years ago if anyone would have told me that I would someday be happily living up country, I'd have told them they were insane.

I am now older and even more crotchety and I truly enjoy being left alone and having privacy. I enjoy my own company and encourage my Thai wife to go visit her family in the next village. She's happy and I'm happy.

Gary, don't tell too many people about our little place up in the boonies, too many Farangs would screw it up.

Let them stay in Beautiful Bangkok. The pleasant driving conditions, the unhurried pace of life, the 35 baht big bottle of beer, the clean air, all these things pale into insignifigance compared to the permanent traffic jams pollution and high prices of Bangkok.

Let them stay there! :o

Guys, it's great you're both happy and settled in rural Thailand.

I would love to do the same, I have a vision in my head of the good life living in a quite village or perhaps a farm somewhere.

My main worry is I would get bored fairly quickly with nothing to do :D

I really am one of those that would need to stay busy or else I would go stir crazy.

Can I ask please, what do you guys do to save from going cabin crazy? do you work? agriculture, farming? small business perhaps? I would be very interested to know.

Cheers all

There is a big difference between rural England and rural Thailand.

having spent time in both I'm not quite sure there is a BIG difference. :D

Both 'Green and pleasant' most of the time, ............ not unlike me :o

No Somtam, maybe :D

My understanding of "going native" was someone who lived in the same style as the natives, ate the same food and worked like the locals.

I have a house here but I am sure that I am like many others in issan in that I live in a comfortable house with air conditioning and other Western comforts that would be well above the means of the locals, my extended family has money here but they would never dream of having A/C in the same way I would never dream of eating bugs.

I would say there is one person I know of around here that farms and looks after buffalo etc. but they live in a big house with all mod cons etc.

I would be interested to hear if anyone on this forum actually lives here in the same style as the locals, i.e. eats the same, sleeps on a mat in the same room as the rest of the family, wipes their ass with their hand and works the same as the locals.

Come on, own up, who thinks they have "gone native"?

Things change along with people's minds. Six years ago if anyone would have told me that I would someday be happily living up country, I'd have told them they were insane.

I am now older and even more crotchety and I truly enjoy being left alone and having privacy. I enjoy my own company and encourage my Thai wife to go visit her family in the next village. She's happy and I'm happy.

Gary, don't tell too many people about our little place up in the boonies, too many Farangs would screw it up.

Let them stay in Beautiful Bangkok. The pleasant driving conditions, the unhurried pace of life, the 35 baht big bottle of beer, the clean air, all these things pale into insignifigance compared to the permanent traffic jams pollution and high prices of Bangkok.

I would love to do the same, I have a vision in my head of the good life living in a quite village or perhaps a farm somewhere.

I really am one of those that would need to stay busy or else I would go stir crazy.

Can I ask please, what do you guys do to save from going cabin crazy? do you work? agriculture, farming? small business perhaps? I would be very interested to know.

Cheers all

We spend a considerable amount of time on the Internet. :D

No Seriously; what Will I do today, potter around in the Garden, maybe a Motorbike or cycle ride, maybe a trip to town to the Gym, have to sort the wife ofcourse. have a beer in the afternoon and maybe start reading that Book I've been thinking about reading but haven't had the time.............

Don't mention that four letter word WORK :D

What do you do all day ?

Simple folk gravitate towards the country, sophisticated folk gravitate towards the city.

Or...Intelligent folk gravitate towards the country,folk with no choice,gravitate towards the city. :o There is no way i would live in BKK,what a big noisy nightmare. :D

I live in Nothaburi, not exactly up country but far enough from BKK for my taste. There are no real traffic jams here it does get busy though. I would NEVER EVER live in BKK or the heart of Pattaya. I prefer it here with the normal people, too much farang and thai skum out there in the tourist area's.

I live in a townhouse with my wife and two dogs, she is gone a lot because she is a guide and i dont get crazy alone.. i rather like it (if its not too long). I think we are all different, some need the crowd and other farangs, some dont.

I do like to go out fishing with some farang's because my Thai isnt good enough to have any deep conversations with the Thais. I can have normal conversations but during a long fishing day i run out of things to say that i can say. I would love to speak more but im working on that.

I have always lived in a small village in Holland too and i really dont like the big citty, but i would not go anywhere without electricity and internet and running water.

Simple folk gravitate towards the country, sophisticated folk gravitate towards the city.

Or...Intelligent folk gravitate towards the country,folk with no choice,gravitate towards the city. :o There is no way i would live in BKK,what a big noisy nightmare. :D

Quite right. What could be more intellectually stimulating than sitting next to a swamp eating bbq rat with a bunch of pig farmers drinking rice whisky and saying "Chong gayo" all night*?

* or at least until it gets dark, at which point everyone disperses before the tree ghosts come. :D

Edited by polecat

Quite right. What could be more intellectually stimulating than sitting next to a swamp eating bbq rat with a bunch of pig farmers drinking rice whisky and saying "Chong gayo" all night*?

* or at least until it gets dark, at which point everyone disperses before the tree ghosts come. :D

Thats Eerie ! My neigbour does the "chong gayo" thing; all the bloody time; makes me jump out of my skin; don't get time to take a breath or put the glass down. .......................... He's Norwegian ............. Honestly :D

try as i might, i cannot make any sense of this

Only the ones with no pride would go native.

Odd statement from a self-confessed Libertarian.

Turn it around a bit, only the ones with no pride would go Libertarian.

If one makes sense, perhaps the other does as well.

Oh, my opinion must have hit a nerve.

Maybe you fail to realize that as a Libertarian I am allowed to have any opinion on backwater places as I want, but I would never dream about telling you what you should think or can or cannot do when living there.

Have a nice day.

Cheers all

have you noticed the amount of time they spend on TV?

Only the ones with no pride would go native.

Odd statement from a self-confessed Libertarian.

Turn it around a bit, only the ones with no pride would go Libertarian.

If one makes sense, perhaps the other does as well.

Oh, my opinion must have hit a nerve.

Maybe you fail to realize that as a Libertarian I am allowed to have any opinion on backwater places as I want, but I would never dream about telling you what you should think or can or cannot do when living there.

Have a nice day.

Heck a Libertarian waving a big stick!

I could never live the backwater life, it's fine for a few days, but the lack of amenities would get me down. The big plus for me relates to being away from pollution and it's effects but that's still not enough if your life is boring.

The rural idyll is romanticising poverty in my opinion. I guess those ex-pats living in the sticks are well heeled-that's a bit different.

I would be interested to hear if anyone on this forum actually lives here in the same style as the locals, i.e. eats the same, sleeps on a mat in the same room as the rest of the family, wipes their ass with their hand and works the same as the locals.

Come on, own up, who thinks they have "gone native"?

You don't need to live upcountry or go native for this. I use bog roll for blowing my nose. :o