Spelling, grammar, etc.

Wasn't IJWT's original non-word either in quotation marks, asterisks in front and behind, or an emoticon to show he was playing with the language?

I doubt that 'folky' is a word, but he could have said 'folksy' which is a word similar to what he seemed to say. A literate reader shouldn't have had problem with 'folky' in quotation marks.

'You're joking, right? You don't *really* think that I don't know the rules of grammar (in this case, not mechanics, dear) and that I'm not simply using slang to sound more "folky"? [i'll put that in scare-quotations so that you know that I know that it's not a proper word! Never can tell these days, can we!]'

Was going to let this die but as Mr PeaceB. wants to imply that I'm am illeterate you can see that "Steven" put the word in quotations to show that it was an incorrect word, unbeknownest that it actually is a word. Well, it is according to the American Heritage Dictionary

I've just been waiting for "Steven" to acknowledge this but the silence was deafening.

I'll try and split it into two threads, the degree one, and spelling one....now if only I could work out the ruddy controls to do so!

Gallows do you go to Ajarn.com at all?

Used to many hacks ago.

I enjoyed whiling away the day following Nemesis' conspiracy links and logging on to find out if Diaw was still alive. Unfortunately, humour became a rare commodity there after the bannings and hackings. I still look over there now again but haven't found anything to make me want to sign-up again.

That 'Scottish play' forum (can you say its name here?) with Dirty Dog, Harry, Chang, TMB, is quite entertaining. Too scared to post there, though. :o

I was going to bring contructive <and I've edited it as well KK> to your attention but that would be detructive and trolling.

Moving on to chad. Never heard that one in the UK; can it be said in mixed company? My mates and I used to talk about the flange in a bar, I have no idea where it came from but sounded good in a Sid the Sexist kind of way.

(Is this constructive enough or do I need to prove Fermats last Theorem?)

:o

Edited by kenkannif

Chad is a lot nicer than flange IMO, flange is a bit more genitalia (sp?) specific...chad to me at least isn't! A flange as far as I know is a kind of hinge thing (I assume it's used in reference to woman in a kind of sexual metaphor for being open?

Actually I'm completely wrong:

A protruding rim, edge, rib, or collar, as on a wheel or a pipe shaft, used to strengthen an object, hold it in place, or attach it to another object.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Possibly variant of flanch, device at the side of an escutcheon, perhaps from French flanche, feminine of flanc, side. See flank.]

Not a clue what Thermat doodah is. Let's just leave it shall we please, pretty please!

I'll try and split this thread into two, but if everything disappears....err it will be my fault.

It depends on how long the piece of string is. If you've got the only job in Thailand proof-reading Ph.D. dissertations via the internet (because the candidates at Chula and Thamassat won't pay for proof-readers), then spelling tricky words like dilmena and aluminum/aluminium is paramount. Otherwise, mai bpen rai.

I teach matayom students, and perfect spelling is the least of our worries. I'm overjoyed if a student merely says, "Ajarn, we don't understand." I was so proud of Kan when she said that today.

I was a great speller until I learned to read and write in Spanish. Now I'm as embarassed as if I were pregnant. However, nobody who considers themself to be functionally literate in English, IMHO, should misspell 'their/they're/there' or 'its/it's.'

:D:D:D

Morerish = the more you read this forum = ThaiVisaDotCom = the more you want to read it = Morerish :D

BSE = Bull- S***-in-English = Mad Cows Disease :o = Correcting every ones garammer and English :D = "Teachers leave us KIDS alone" on ThaiVisaDotCom :D Please......

Kan Win :D:D

P.S. Me Polish, :D

Edited by Kan Win