Spelling, grammar, etc.

The new topic you've raised is whether a degree is necessary to teach TEFL and/or other topics here in Thailand- that HAS been discussed to death here in way too many threads, so you can go searching. In a nutshell, I say for TEFL you don't need a college degree (and the MOE generally agrees mostishly). For other topics I'd say you do. In any case, the MOE has given WPs to people at just about all levels of education for all of these types of jobs.

Ken and I are common-sense advocates- if they can do the job, let them do it. Folks with better certs will get the better paid jobs, that's all. TEFL itself certainly ain't rocket science.

"Steven"

(Ijustwannateach @ 2004-12-22 13:55:41)

rolleyes.gif  Possibly because none of them would associate with someone who doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're," and who barely seems to understand punctuation at all?  I don't usually get all mechanics-nazi on people, but if you're going to slag the entire foreign teacher population you kinda deserve it...

"Steven"

"MOSTISHLY" !

I don't usually get all mechanics-nazi on people, too, but if "Steven" wants to get mechanics-nazi on other people then I suggest he takes a few grammar lessons on suffix applications.

I use that kind of thing (adding ish) a lot. I personally think while it's not stricly grammatically correct (like doable) it makes sense when you read it and has a purpose in being used. What other word would sum it up better than mostishly?

P.S.

Save me PMing you, thanks for the earlier headZ up!

^^ No problemo!

Oh, I've got no problems with "Steven"'s new word - its just if your wanting to slag off a posters grammar you had better make sure that you're own posts is squeaky clean, otherwise...

Could the word just be left out or replaced with 'on the whole'?

I see your point (and shouldn't Nazi have a capital N while we're the spelling tip). But there is a difference between using a slang word and getting your and you're confused! I'm rubbish at spelling and grammar, but I hate it when people spell definitely wrong and can't help but comment on it!

Do as I say, not as I do.......I suppose :o

And yes 'on the whole' would probably fit (darn it!).

"MOSTISHLY" !

I don't usually get all mechanics-nazi on people, too, but if "Steven"  wants to get mechanics-nazi on other people then I suggest he takes a few grammar lessons on suffix applications.

You're joking, right? You don't *really* think that I don't know the rules of grammar (in this case, not mechanics, dear) and that I'm not simply using slang to sound more "folky"? [i'll put that in scare-quotations so that you know that I know that it's not a proper word! Never can tell these days, can we!]

I get mechanics-nazi on people who post blatantly uninformed posts full of mistakes in order to attack others for their lack of qualification/ability in education (in this case, the poster was attacking all foreign teachers in Thailand). I *don't* get mechanics-nazi routinely on posters who simply make mistakes in passing- that would be boorish.

Yes, it would have been foolish of me to have accidental mistakes in such a post as that- fortunately, as Ken (and probably 99.9% of posters on this forum) realized- I didn't! I *deliberately* put that slangy non-word in there, for effect! Wow!

In fact, masters of language are allowed to take a certain license with it, also for effect. I'm in good company by doing so- wasn't it Shakespeare who once called a certain injury the "most unkindest cut of all?"

:o:D:D:D:D

"Steven"

You're joking, right? You don't *really* think that I don't know the rules of grammar (in this case, not mechanics, dear) and that I'm not simply using slang to sound more "folky"? [i'll put that in scare-quotations so that you know that I know that it's not a proper word! Never can tell these days, can we!]

I'd hazard a guess that "folky" actually is a word.

Back to the topic...

A person of fine standing (12 years plus) in a northern uni was recently unearthed as having a fake degree by, I think, the MOE. I was surprised with that after so many years of work permit and visa renewals. This is a government uni.

He has now departed.

Gosh-durn it, you're right! That time I was *trying* to make a mistake! :o

"Steven"

Gosh-durn it, you're right! That time I was *trying* to make a mistake! :o

"Steven"

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Come on "Steven"!

As I said, having a go at other poster's English leaves you open to attack yourself no matter what the poster was writing about . My point was that, not you're (here fishy fishy) addition to the lexicon of TV.com; I appreciated your excuse, however. But you fcked up with "folky" didn't you? Come on cleanse your soul, dear.

AsTHE great man also said "you can fool some people sometimes, but you can't fool all the people all the time".

Well, I still say that attacking a group based on their qualifications invites trouble.

To attack THEM is justified.

To attack those who attack them, seems pedantic and trolling. But that's just me!

:o:D:D

And in attacking those who attack those who attack a group based on their qualifications, as I'm doing now, is just wasting time and being silly! :D:D:D

Edited by Ijustwannateach

Well, I still say that attacking a group based on their qualifications invites trouble.

To attack THEM is justified.

To attack those who attack them, seems pedantic and trolling.  But that's just me!

:o  :D  :D

And in attacking those who attack those who attack a group based on their qualifications, as I'm doing now, is just wasting time and being silly!  :D  :D  :D

Steven, stop wringing your hands, straighten your back and tuck your shirt in.

Wasn't IJWT's original non-word either in quotation marks, asterisks in front and behind, or an emoticon to show he was playing with the language?

I doubt that 'folky' is a word, but he could have said 'folksy' which is a word similar to what he seemed to say. A literate reader shouldn't have had problem with 'folky' in quotation marks.

Returning to the topic: the mere use of bad grammar, even when the person doesn't know better, won't prove you have a fake degree. Didn't that guy just mentioned teach at a govt. uni for many years before being caught?

Enough of us have said on this subject, that if the guy can fool the system with a fake degree, do an excellent job of teaching, have a great command of the language, then the authenticity of his degree is almost pointless. The same could be said for comparing a recipient of a B.A degree (summa cum laude) from Harvard against a B.A. from University of Texas at Brownsville (Texas Southmost College) without honors, IF THERE'S BEEN a lapse of many years since both graduates left university, and the Ivy Leaguer become a drunken sod while the other fellow distinguished himself in the real world of work. But in most cases in TEFL teaching in Thailand, we're not talking about master's degrees in education or EFL; we're talking about the mere possession of almost any kind of bachelor's degree from an actual university where you attend classes (even at a distance).

If we were all certified public accountants with bachelor's degrees in accounting, competing for a professional accountancy position with a prestigious firm, then where you got your degree would matter.

I use that kind of thing (adding ish) a lot. I personally think while it's not stricly grammatically correct (like doable) it makes sense when you read it and has a purpose in being used. What other word would sum it up better than mostishly?

Oxford calls it informal, which seems to imply legitimacy...

do1

· v. (does; past did; past part. done)

1 perform or carry out (an action). Ø work on (something) to bring it to completion or to a required state. Ø make, produce, or provide. Ø work at for a living or take as one’s subject of study. Ø informal regularly take (a narcotic drug).

2 achieve or complete (a specified target). Ø informal visit as a tourist. Ø informal spend (a specified period of time) in a particular occupation or in prison. Ø (be/have done with) give up concern for; have finished with.

3 act or progress in a specified way. Ø have a specified result or effect on.

4 be suitable or acceptable.

5 informal beat up or kill. Ø swindle.

6 (usu. be/get done for) Brit. informal prosecute; convict.

· aux. v.

1 used before a verb in questions and negative statements.

2 used to refer back to a verb already mentioned.

3 used in negative or positive commands, or to give emphasis to a positive verb.

4 used with inversion of a subject and verb when an adverbial phrase begins a clause for emphasis.

· n. (pl. dos or do’s) informal, chiefly Brit. a party or other social event.

– PHRASES be (or have) to do with be concerned or connected with. do one’s head in Brit. informal make one extremely angry or agitated. do or die persist, even if death is the result. dos and don’ts rules of behaviour. that does it! informal indicating that one will not tolerate something any longer.

– PHRASAL VERBS do away with informal put an end to; remove or kill. do by treat or deal with in a specified way: she did well by them. do someone down Brit. informal criticize someone. do for 1 informal defeat, ruin, or kill. 2 suffice for. do something (or nothing) for informal enhance (or detract from) the appearance or quality of. do someone in informal 1 kill someone. 2 (usu. be done in) informal tire someone out. do someone out of informal deprive someone of (something) in an underhand or unfair way. do something out Brit. informal decorate or furnish a room or building in a particular way. do someone/thing over Brit. informal beat up or ransack. be done up be dressed elaborately or impressively. do something up 1 fasten, wrap, or arrange something. 2 informal renovate or redecorate a room or building. do with 1 (can/could do with) would find useful or would like to have or do: I could do with a cup of coffee. 2 (can’t/won’t be doing with) Brit. be unwilling to tolerate.

DERIVATIVES doable adj. (informal). doer n.– ORIGIN OE dZn, of Gmc origin.

Wondering about the teacher from the university who taught for twelve years and then got caught out with a fakie. Does the MOE just 'discover' things like this, especially after twelve years, or did he possibly pee in someone's lemonade one too many times? :o

Don't think the spelling thing needs its own thread, unless people want to go there and troll themselves... 

"Steven"

Just as a bit of fun is all. Where we can post made up words, and or words we're not sure even exist! No trolling allowed, just a bit of good natured fun.

I swear I was taught to spell dilemma err dilemna anyone else?

For years I've used doable, rather coarsely, to grade the attractiveness of women.  I think they probably refer to me as undoable!

Indeed. Most definitely an 'Americanism' if there ever was one.

I used to say it in the UK, she's well doable, I'd do it. I like totty and chad as well to describe girls.

'She's a hot little moisty.' Is that going to get me in trouble with truncheon swinging PCers?