Skype Query....not Sure How It Works

This is off the top of my head, but what you want is Skype Out. You buy credits, then using your PC you can dial pretty much any regular phone number for pretty low rates.

There are lots of services that do this. Skype's rates are very reasonable. Yahoo and AOL IM, for example, have the same capability, but last I checked their rates were a lot higher.

Other stand alone services exist. One I used to use was VOIPdiscount.com. They actually allow unlimited calling as long as you buy credits every 3 months or so. So it's like $10 or 10 Euros or something for 3 months of calling. They might have changed the details since then.

Phone calls on this site to land lines and mobiles don't come any cheaper.

There free. :D

www.poketalk.com

:o

Gotta read the fine print though:

Users Obligations Since PokeTalk allows you to make free phone calls to communicate with the world, it is a service of great power, and you agree not to abuse it for any unlawful activity.
:D

I have been looking at thae skype website but not sure if I understand fully.

Can I phone UKm top Thai mobile cheaply or is it just via internet connection.

Thanks

...slippery.....

I use voipvoip.com its only 0.019 dollars to phone a Thailand mobile per minute which is about 80p for an hour, I have been using it for a couple of years and have always found it very good. Its quite easy to set up and all you need is a cheap pair of PC headphones and it very clear. I can also set it up to work on my Nokia N95 and use WiFi or even my phones 3G connection athough I sometimes have problems connecting that way. I took a look at skype and it was more expensive and seemed more complicated to setup.

I use SMSDISCOUNT.COM for all my SMS and Phone calls

Very cheap rates

I have been using it for a couple of months and have always found it very good.

Its quite easy to set up and all you need is a cheap pair of PC headphones and it very clear.

Skype, is very easy to use you can talk via your PC to other PC users of skype free. Or if you pay 2.95 uk pounds per month you can get unlimeted free calls to any UK landline. (you can buy credits on line from the skype website with your credit card)We use it and have saved a fortune on phone bills. You can either just use a microphone and speakers pluged into your pc or buy a cheap skype phone which plugs into a USB port. You can download the skype software free from the internet its very easy to use. Hope that helps!

Edited by daveb1

Skype, is very easy to use you can talk via your PC to other PC users of skype free. Or if you pay 2.95 uk pounds per month you can get unlimeted free calls to any UK landline. (you can buy credits on line from the skype website with your credit card)We use it and have saved a fortune on phone bills. You can either just use a microphone and speakers pluged into your pc or buy a cheap skype phone which plugs into a USB port. You can download the skype software free from the internet its very easy to use. Hope that helps!

How does VOIP compare to Skype? With Skype I have a "Skype Out" number (a UK landline number for customers so it appears as if I'm there) - I wonder if VOIP can do that but cheaper? I'm spending £20 per month on Skype, mostly from incoming calls diverting to my mobile.

It works and might be okay if you only call a few minutes. You need Skype-out credit ($ balance).

For 300 minutes per week free calling to Thai mobile phone numbers in a 3 months period, you can pay about 10.50 euros to www.voipdiscount.com

After the 3 months, you get charged 1 cent a minute...

You can make the odd test call for free, if you wonna try some other software packages. this is the only one I know of which offers free calls to Thai mobile phones... Chris

FWIW, and I know this isn't strictly what the OP asked, you can call 1-800 numbers in the USA for free with Skype. So, if you're dealing with companies or banks etc. you don't get charged. Most times, the calls are clear as a bell.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for all of your replies.................Sussing it out now.

Just 1 further question. Although I want the skype phone primarily to phone thailand is there any way I can phone mobile to mobile within the uk thus reducing the amount of minutes I need to be contracted to with my mobile services provider....Thanks.....slippery.

In addition to Skype.....in the UK you can buy a 'Skype' phone from '3' mobile phone shops that has Skype installed on it....Skype is free. You top up once at the start with GBP10.00 and it works forever.....unlimited calls and messages using Skype.

Basically, view it as a 3 mobile phone BUT it has Skype on it which is FREE to use.

So, you can call a PC in Thailand from this Skype mobile phone in the UK for free and send SMS for free as you are sending the message as a Skype message.

You can also use it to phone a Thai mobile phone, by using the Skype function and pay just the Skype Out rates.

See http://www.3skypephone.com/english/index.html