Ricky Martin Discusses Tsunami Aid With Thai Pm

george

Ricky Martin discusses tsunami aid with Thai PM

BANGKOK: -- Pop star Ricky Martin today met Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinwatra to discuss assistance for tsunami victims.

The Puerto Rico-based Latino heartthrob, who chairs the charitable Ricky Martin Foundation, arrived in Bangkok this morning.

Martin said he had come to the Thai capital to express his sorrow over the tsunami disaster, and to offer emotional and practical support to the victims.

The singer said the Ricky Martin Foundation planned to help those affected by the tsunami, especially those children who had lost their families and homes.

He said the foundation would donate a sum of money for relief aid.

The Prime Minister thanked the pop star and his foundation for the concern expressed over the victims’ fate.

"The tsunami is a disaster, and the continuing assistance from international community is greatly appreciated," Mr. Thaksin said.

In a related development, leaders from Scandinavian countries, including Norway, Sweden and Finland, are scheduled to visit Thailand on 16 January. They will be holding talks on multilateral cooperation to aid the tsunami victims.

Thousands of tourists from Scandinavia were holidaying in Thailand's beach resorts when the massive sea surges struck on 26 December.

--TNA 2005-01-12

Ricky Martin denies hidden agenda in Thailand visit

BANGKOK: -- Puerto Rican-American singer Ricky Martin insisted today that his visit to Thailand to witness the scene of last month’s tsunami was intended purely as a humanitarian act and was not about self-publicity.

Ricky, better known globally as the man behind the hit ‘Livin’ La Vida Loca’ than as his role as UNICEF goodwill ambassador, told reporters after meeting Foreign Minister Surakiart Sathirathai today that he was visiting the Kingdom to voice the sorrow of the American public over the disaster.

“When I saw the pictures on TV, I felt that I had to do something to help. But before deciding what help I could give, I had to see the place first, to see what I could do”, said the singer, whose Ricky Martin Foundation works with disadvantaged children. “It’s possible that I’ll offer educational assistance, for instance by organizing concerts to gather money to build small schools or orphanages”.

Noting that his foundation was already helping children across the world, Ricky Martin stressed that his trip to Thailand was not about publicizing his own acts. He also expressed concern over the plight of the child victims of human traffickers.

--TNA 2005-01-12

• 2 weeks later...
Yeh right :D

A publicity stunt, just give money and go home Martin. Ponce :D

The last thing needed is him poncing about feeling sorry for people while his entourage looks on. :o

Even if it is just a publicity stunt (which i don't think it is) it is still getting people to pay attention, want to help and do something about it... what are you doing... sitting on your ass riping on him for using his fame for something good!! :D

The last thing needed is him poncing about feeling sorry for people while his entourage looks on. :o

Even if it is just a publicity stunt (which i don't think it is) it is still getting people to pay attention, want to help and do something about it... what are you doing... sitting on your ass riping on him for using his fame for something good!! :D

Your obviously a fan :D

Apart from running a business, working 6 days a week, taking care of family and living 1000kms away I'm not doing anything I'm afraid.

I've already donated a large amount and I'm also planning a charity night to try and raise more cash.

Edited by davethailand

Apart from running a business, working 6 days a week, taking care of family and living 1000kms away I'm not doing anything I'm afraid.

I've already donated a large amount and I'm also planning a charity night to try and raise more cash.

I guess I don't understand the publicity factor- guess dear Ricky needs publicity since he doesnt have a career any more as a singer. I think stars due better to keep themselves behind the scenes.. its good he is helping, but I think the PR is self serving.

I guess I don't understand the publicity factor- guess dear Ricky needs publicity since he doesnt have a career any more as a singer. I think stars due better to keep themselves behind the scenes.. its good he is helping, but I think the PR is self serving.

My thoughts exactly :D

http://launch.yahoo.com/read/news/14310752

Ricky Martin Reveals Details Of Trip To Thailand On Oprah

01/24/2005 3:00 PM, LAUNCH

LAUNCH Radio Networks

Puerto Rican pop star Ricky Martin will be showing footage of his trip to Thailand on the Oprah Winfrey Show Monday (January 24). Martin recently returned from his fact-finding trip of the regions devastated by the recent tsunami in Southeast Asia. He said, "The destructive effects caused by this natural phenomenon are indescribable and the consequences for the future are difficult to predict."

Martin went on the trip to determine how The Ricky Martin Foundation could best help in the relief effort, particularly in the area of protecting children from being exploited by child traffickers. He said, "The vulnerability of these children call us to give them a hand of hope and love. For this reason, I invite you to watch the...show and relive my trip to Thailand as it was captured on film. I invite you to learn in detail the plans of the Ricky Martin Foundation--in coordination with the Thai government--to assist the tsunami victims."

More information on the relief efforts of the Foundation is available at rickymartinfoundation.org.