Uk Airports Now Charging For Clear Security Bags

grahamhc

This was sent to my by a friend in the UK:

Airports accused of profiteering by charging £1 for plastic security bags

Airports have been accused of cashing in on heightened anti-terrorism measures by charging passengers for plastic security bags.

By Nick Allen

Last Updated: 1:13PM GMT 03 Mar 2009

Manchester Airport, one of the country's busiest, has begun charging passengers £1 for bags from a vending machine before they go through security.

The machine, positioned at security gates in Terminal 1, dispenses two reusable plastic bags for the £1 payment.

Seven thousand people pass through the terminal each month and the charge will bring in an estimated £3,500 a week. The bags themselves cost around 1.8p each in supermarkets.

Fees of £1 for four bags have previously been introduced at Luton, Newcastle and Bristol airports.

The bags became a familiar sight at airports after a security alert in 2006, which followed an alleged plot to blow up a number of aircraft using liquid explosives in hand luggage.

The alert led to thousands of international flights being affected and liquids being banned from aircraft.

Liquids, gels and aerosols are still only allowed in individual containers of 100ml, and all containers must fit comfortably in one of the transparent, re-sealable bags which are no larger than 20cm by 20cm.

The bags are used by passengers to carry liquid containers through security so they can be X-rayed separately.

But the decision to charge for them was criticised by passenger groups as the latest in a long line of hidden extras introduced by airports and airlines.

Last week Ryanairannounced it was considering charging passengers £1 to use on board lavatories. ( See "Pay Toilet topic" on ThaiVisa )

And last summer Luton airport introduced a £1 charge for trolleys. It claimed passengers would get a "better trolley service" as a result.

The Air Transport Users Council accused airports which charge for plastic bags of "looking wherever they can to raise extra revenue".

Spokesman James Fremantle, said: "It's a trend which is spreading. They started this off at Luton and, as we warned might happen, charges there have now spread to trolleys."

Manchester airport, which is run by Greater Manchester's 10 local authorities, said charges for plastic bags had been introduced to help "educate" passengers to bring their own.

It also highlighted the lengths to which some passengers have been going to avoid the rules on liquids.

According to airport officials one man froze his water bottle and claimed it was a solid, while another passenger refused to be relieved of his bottle of vodka and drank it on the spot. He was removed from the flight for being drunk.

At Manchester airport some passengers objected to being charged.

Ralph Supelle said: "Has it really come to this, making income from what is supposedly a security situation?"

Passenger Wendy Barrowcliffe, 47, said: "It's appalling. They charge you for everything these days but this is meant to be about security. It is scandalous that you're asked to pay."

AMDT: To insert correct topic link code

Edited by grahamhc

When I go through the airport checks for liquids, I leave my disposable daily contact lenses in my hand luggage and they are never detected as liquids.

Should they be declared in plastic bag?

Paying for plastic bags, is a bit of a rip-off but hopefully this story will be well publicised so people will take their own.

It is a joke. I swear that the main reason this liquid rubbish was introduced was to justify the high rents charged at airports by forcing people to buy more overpriced rubbish, like water, once past the security. Don't even try and tell me that the water they sell at airports has been through stringent security and never left unguarded for even a minute !

This charging for bags is just scandalous.

It is a joke. I swear that the main reason this liquid rubbish was introduced was to justify the high rents charged at airports by forcing people to buy more overpriced rubbish, like water, once past the security. Don't even try and tell me that the water they sell at airports has been through stringent security and never left unguarded for even a minute !

This charging for bags is just scandalous.

Yes, spot on. Buxton still water sold at WH Smith (Airside) in two sizes 500ml and 750ml 1.49 and 1.99 respectively.

Rip Off Britain.