Opinion: What Makes A Person Have "class"

NewLifeNY

It's a quality that if you have it, you don't have to tell anyone because they already know it. The people bragging to everyone about all their possessions definitely have NO class.

I agree, if you have it it shows in your thoughts and actions without any need to concern yourself in announcing it to all and sundry.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Class, to me:

-- takes responsibility for own actions

-- accomplished but modest about it

-- considerate of others feelings, quick to share credit with others

-- a generous personality with no room for petty hatreds

A good example: Barack Obama

He certainly looks like a good candidate though the back door dealings over his successor as a senator and his long relationship with Reverant Right may come back and haunt him

Is having money, culture, education etc make you have class?

By way of intro, I used to hear a saying back in Australia - people from Melbourne have class, but people from Sydney have style. :o:D:D:D:D:wai: I lived in both places, but sadly it didn't stick.

Now a disclaimer - you can be a good person and not have much class. It is not the ultimate gauge of self-worth, just one of many subjective measures at the disposal of those of us who seek to pigeon-hole.

People with class NEVER tell others that they have class

To have class you don't need to have money, culture and education but it surely helps. Conversely there are an abundaance of people with money, culture and education who have no class whatsoever. Open up a copy of "Hello" if you need proof

Someone with class stands up when a lady enters the room. Unless they are in a wheelchair. Disabled people can have class too.

Rather than post in words what my idea of class is, because it's already been covered by others here, I'd like to share some media examples that come to mind when I think of the word "class". The first one I thought of was Michelle Yeoh's character "Mameha" in "Memoirs of a Geisha". The second one that comes to mind is many of the roles played by Catherine Zeta Jones most likely due to the fact that she carries herself both on and off screen in a manner of class. And while not always the on screen characters that these gentlemen play, I would say that the real life personas of Tom Hanks and John Travolta remind me of class.

I have been reading a lot of post here about people "claiming" they have class, that they are the top of the "elite", that they are Farang with great "connections" and are better than most other Farangs etc etc.... :D

But what makes a person have class? Is class telling everyone else how much "class" you have?

Is class having having money? Because i seen (we all have) farang and Thai with money and no class, like a Thai driving a 20million b car, yet picking his bugers at the stop light etc etc....

What Is class? is class a poor Dark Isaan girl moving to bkk and having these Rich white Thais look down at her because she married a Farang or because she dosent belong "there" and still the girl holds her head High, is that class?

Is having class mean you are world traveler and are educated and know how NOT to act a fool in different countries?

Is class turning the other cheek?

Is having money, culture, education etc make you have class?

Pls, I would like to know TV members opionion about what they think having class is, or not having class is...have you seen some one with No class? pls do tell...

Who has Class needs to be answered by a Thai lady who reads fashion magazines, and dotes and knows all about their society movie stars. :o

Rather than post in words what my idea of class is, because it's already been covered by others here, I'd like to share some media examples that come to mind when I think of the word "class". The first one I thought of was Michelle Yeoh's character "Mameha" in "Memoirs of a Geisha". The second one that comes to mind is many of the roles played by Catherine Zeta Jones most likely due to the fact that she carries herself both on and off screen in a manner of class. And while not always the on screen characters that these gentlemen play, I would say that the real life personas of Tom Hanks and John Travolta remind me of class.

Sorry but if you want to talk about class on screen, there is only one name, one movie, Audrey Hepburn, Breakfast at Tiffany's, timeless class !

For a man, my choice would be Steve Mc Queen in "The Thomas Crown affair"

post-54001-1236787757_thumb.jpg

Manners, moral, honesty and credibility

Yes, as well as not doing certain things, such as:

- Showing off

- Showing jealousy

- Gossiping

- Putting others down, especially because of perceived lack of class!

It's that fine line of being focused enough on yourself to not have to show off all time time, while not being self-centered. It's confidence without arrogance.

I like this definition. The last clause is challenging - I'm certainly not worthy. So many crass (not class) expats. (There I go, putting them down.)

• 1 month later...

what is wrong with thai people ?never went to shooll,in the western world your red shirts are terroists in conspirity with a hiding criminal who try to get a rvolution in the country for his on benefit to returne as president your leaders is gov. are criminals what would get life prison in australia .you cant not wear a criminal shirt [ red ] outside and then go to a parlament meeting.politition or what ever comit a crime against the kingdom need to be but away for life,that is the law of the world .if not applite your country will continue for nother hundret years befor the next generation abbite the world law .im sorry for the new generration to but up with thise alf75

Class, to me:

-- takes responsibility for own actions

-- accomplished but modest about it

-- considerate of others feelings, quick to share credit with others

-- a generous personality with no room for petty hatreds

A good example: Barack Obama

wot? class man but we need more than class in a president.usa will be in debt till hel_l freezes over. thailand will need to rescue us.

Edited by goodheartman

i once went on a job interview with a major milk company in bangkok and we went to lunch, i was rejected because i cut a piece of meat and switched hands to hold the fork and eat it.

yes this business owner had much class...pffffrench

i once went on a job interview with a major milk company in bangkok and we went to lunch, i was rejected because i cut a piece of meat and switched hands to hold the fork and eat it.

yes this business owner had much class...pffffrench

howd you find out?

Those who claim to have "class" - don't

Those who don't usually have!

Even beggars having not thrown away their dignity, show some class in bearing the hardship which life thrusted upon her/him.

Those "Hi So-Classy people" are mostly poor fellas pretending, which makes them "feel good", cause they think they are above the rest, judging life, fun, happiness exceptionally by the figures on their bank accounts and profits and on their spending power...there are times I feel occasionally pity for these lost souls!

Spot on.

Here comes my classy definition of having class:

To have class has nothing to do with your social background or money. It means to be a good person that is flexible and can deal with various situations.

Here is my story that might help you understand:

I was a dam_n "cool" kid. In fact so "cool" that I got banned from all state schools in my state for drug dealing and other typical acts of youth criminality. Parents even petitioned that I leave one of my last state schools. I was sooo cool (not).

Anyway, my parents sent me to one of the most expensive private schools in our state because this school was the only one who still accepted me under certain rules. So me the little gangster (with a middle class background) was suddenly in a high society world with lots of really rich kids.

It was a nice change and what I learned there is that class has nothing to do with money or your social background. Some of the richest kids who got a Mercedes Coupe as their first car were absolutely modest, didn't show off at all and acted just like normal people. Some were actually ashamed of all their wealth. Others who were not so rich but showed off big time whenever they could because it made them feel important. Another benefit of this school was that we had lots of rich girls who had everything they wanted and were used to a life full of pleasure (and sex). Some of the nastiest sl#ts I ever met were those rich girls (and saying this I really appreciated that).

To sum this up. A classy person doesn't show off. A classy person is natural and real and even while being this a nice person that acts well in all sorts of different situations. That's it.

If you think different go and get some more fake or real polo shirts with a huge logo stitched on it or enjoy the looks of your girlfriend with her fake or real LV bag (both s#cks).

Obviously I wasn't a classy person back then because I was proud being such a "cool" gangster and showed this off pretty often. Today I blame it on the hormones and that I was constantly high during my youth :)

P.s. If you buy things to show off or because of the label that is on it I feel truly sorry for you but you wouldn't understand this.

Edited by freitag1

What makes a person have class? I think, in a word, integrity. Integrity in what your actions and words. You can be rich, good looking, smart, educated and/or well travelled but without integrity, you are as common as they come. Conversely, you may be poor, unattractive and/or uneducated but with loads of integrity, people who count will know you are a class act.