Opinion: What Makes A Person Have "class"

NewLifeNY

Interesting topic.

As far as I can see, people worry far too much about this 'class' status thing. I have never understood it or concerned myself enough to worry about it.

I find it highly amusing that when I ride down to the shop on my scooter, numerous thais in cars do just about everything and anything to kill me just because I'm am now part of the 'lower class' that rides a motorcycle. Does it not dawn on them that I could have a 25 million baht merc at home in the garage? Would it make a difference if I did? Can I casually step between classes, one minute im low class and the next im one of the elite? :D:D:o:D

Anyway, I just float along doing my own thing, I don't care about this class thing, at very least I don't worry myself about the importance of peoples claim of belong to a specific class. As far as I'm concerned, being considerate, being respectful & polite to other people is more important that tilting ones head backwards and snobbing others.

Do not confuse class and status. I would say that "Class" is primarily esoteric, and "Status" exoteric. In social terms, they are two very different animals - while they may not be mutually exclusive, either.

i.e. chiangmaibruce's "James Bond" respresents the esoteric "Class" as opposed to the exoteric "Status" of "Upstairs, downstairs."

i.e. for laymen aka trolls: threads with agendas (even though the OP thinks he has cleverly disguised said agenda with some irrelevant question...) lack class.

edit: (hint: never use the words "act a fool" if you want to project class - or status for that matter - unless you are a rapper named Ludacris)

Edited by jcon

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it highly amusing that when I ride down to the shop on my scooter, numerous thais in cars do just about everything and anything to kill me just because I'm am now part of the 'lower class' that rides a motorcycle. Does it not dawn on them that I could have a 25 million baht merc at home in the garage? Would it make a difference if I did? Can I casually step between classes, one minute im low class and the next im one of the elite? :D:D:D:D

I find it amusing that when I walk down to the shop on the corner, numerous people on motor scooters do just about everything and anything to run me off the sidewalk into the path of the hi-so's in their mercs just because I am part of the 'lowest class' that walks. Does it not dawn on them that the reason I am walking is that the corner shop has no runway to land my Lear jet on?

I am upper class and I look down on them because they are lower than me.

I am middle class, I look up to him because he is upper class but I look down on him because he is working class.

I am working class, I know my place.

Its funny Phil, shit normally flows downhill, but when the sewer backs up, it can climb right up the elites arse if they don't move fast enough......funny thing is, most of them don't realise it until its too late.......if your confused about what i am referring to just look at some of the corporate hi-so are up to these days :o

Interesting topic.

As far as I can see, people worry far too much about this 'class' status thing. I have never understood it or concerned myself enough to worry about it.

I find it highly amusing that when I ride down to the shop on my scooter, numerous thais in cars do just about everything and anything to kill me just because I'm am now part of the 'lower class' that rides a motorcycle. Does it not dawn on them that I could have a 25 million baht merc at home in the garage? Would it make a difference if I did? Can I casually step between classes, one minute im low class and the next im one of the elite? :D:D:D:D

Anyway, I just float along doing my own thing, I don't care about this class thing, at very least I don't worry myself about the importance of peoples claim of belong to a specific class. As far as I'm concerned, being considerate, being respectful & polite to other people is more important that tilting ones head backwards and snobbing others.

Do not confuse class and status. I would say that "Class" is primarily esoteric, and "Status" exoteric. In social terms, they are two very different animals - while they may not be mutually exclusive, either.

i.e. chiangmaibruce's "James Bond" respresents the esoteric "Class" as opposed to the exoteric "Status" of "Upstairs, downstairs."

i.e. for laymen aka trolls: threads with agendas (even though the OP thinks he has cleverly disguised said agenda with some irrelevant question...) lack class.

I reakon that babe in your avatar pics, shows plenty of class, but im sure she doesnt look so class when working in the garden or floating in a klong of <deleted> when her yacht has sunk. Is it possible that this 'class' thing is only a put on in the real world because after all even the best of us can forget our p&q's sometimes :o

class has little to do with wealth or education , (having those can go a long way in covering up a lack of class ) , and all to do with how you conduct yourself in life.

honesty , integrity , a sense of responsibility and the ability and willingness to "do the right thing" are signs of class to me.

+ manners

class has little to do with wealth or education , (having those can go a long way in covering up a lack of class ) , and all to do with how you conduct yourself in life.

honesty , integrity , a sense of responsibility and the ability and willingness to "do the right thing" are signs of class to me.

+ manners

look, these things, honesty, integrity and responsibility are not the definition of class. Is English not your first language? If you meet homeless guy who returns your wallet, would you see "Wow, he is a really classy guy?"... the English definition of class is correlated to wealth, status, and education.

So, no, a very sweet bar girl with a third grade education shooting ping pong balls out of her uterus might be the love of your life, and the "wisest person you ever met", but she still does not have class.

Class is not something you can go to the store and buy. Its your history.

Class - A doorman wearing a suit opens the door for you, smiles, and says "Good Evening Sir"

No Class - A young woman with a two year old child in her arm grabs your arm and says "Come my sex bar"

I think you got the meaning of "class" wrong on this one...we are talking of another kind of class...

+ manners

look, these things, honesty, integrity and responsibility are not the definition of class. Is English not your first language? If you meet homeless guy who returns your wallet, would you see "Wow, he is a really classy guy?"... the English definition of class is correlated to wealth, status, and education.

So, no, a very sweet bar girl with a third grade education shooting ping pong balls out of her uterus might be the love of your life, and the "wisest person you ever met", but she still does not have class.

Ok, now you got the right class we are trying to talk about... :o

the English definition of class is correlated to wealth, status, and education.

the French definition of class is correlated to refinement and elegance.

+ manners

+ being at ease in all situations + not talking about money.

in that case dave there's <deleted> all class left in england :o

Don't try and tell us it's all gone to Thailand.

Class : not asking where you can get the cheapest bj in Nakon Sawan.

What about asking where the most expensive/best bj is?

no PH they are still in the UK,its just that the "class" has gone.

Maybe you should read more...

What for? To meet "people "claiming they have class, that they are the top of the "elite.."???

Thanks but no thanks.

Life is too short as it is.

If you cant stand the heat...then please stay out of the kitchen....

In other words, if you dont know what you are talking about, pls keep your ignorant comments to your self..... :o

bit angry for someone with class mate.

Those who claim to have "class" - don't

Those who don't usually have!

Even beggars having not thrown away their dignity, show some class in bearing the hardship which life thrusted upon her/him.

Those "Hi So-Classy people" are mostly poor fellas pretending, which makes them "feel good", cause they think they are above the rest, judging life, fun, happiness exceptionally by the figures on their bank accounts and profits and on their spending power...there are times I feel occasionally pity for these lost souls!

Edited by Samuian

Interesting topic.

I find it highly amusing that when I ride down to the shop on my scooter, numerous thais in cars do just about everything and anything to kill me just because I'm am now part of the 'lower class' that rides a motorcycle. Does it not dawn on them that I could have a 25 million baht merc at home in the garage? Would it make a difference if I did? Can I casually step between classes, one minute im low class and the next im one of the elite? :D:D:o:D

Great response. Absolutely.

There's a book in there somewhere...maybe 'Class Like Me' :D

- You have got to be wearing lots and lots of gold, the heavier the better.

- You have to be wearing the darkest sunglases possible, also have the most ridiculous trendy haircut you can get, to prove to people you don't care.

- Wear 3/4 length pants and a white tank top to let your class shine out.

- Also just be angry at everything, angry people are classy.

- Never admit you are wrong, classy people aren't wrong.

- Be loud and obnoxious, classy people can't be tamed.

- Have an equally as classy chick hanging off each arm to prove how classy you are.

- Never show anyone else respect, why show respect to people with no class?

- When eating, chew with your mouth open, and talk while doing so, manners are for people who think they have class.

- Classy people act immediatley on instinct, if you need to pick your nose or your arse, just do it, don't initiate a thought process.

- Beer bellies are classy, they prove how hardcore and classy you are.

- Last but not least, classy people wear sandals regardless, it shows how closley they resemble Jesus Christ, who is the son of class.

Class, to me:

-- takes responsibility for own actions

-- accomplished but modest about it

-- considerate of others feelings, quick to share credit with others

-- a generous personality with no room for petty hatreds

A good example: Barack Obama

you mean thats the impression Barack has given you of himself