Falang Type Shops In Cr?

jaideeguy

Just wondering if CR has any stores that cater to falangs in CR.....like Rimping supermarkets and Kasim's in CM?? where you can get international foods and quality veges/meats etc. And how many superstores are there in CM now??

Just wondering if CR has any stores that cater to falangs in CR.....like Rimping supermarkets and Kasim's in CM?? where you can get international foods and quality veges/meats etc. And how many superstores are there in CM now??

Deli Shop next to Da Vinci (little Soi). The owner makes sausages, different kinds of meats, cheese, bread etc. Really worth your visit!

(http://chiangraitouristinformation.com/pageID_6776668.html)

Edited by ISPY

And to create some competition just search this forum for farang food and you will get directions to a bunch of other places such as Don's Foods, Northern Farm, TOPS Super(?)store, Delicatessen and the likes. There is no shortage of these things in Chiang Rai but gathering all your items might include driving all over the city before you are finished.

Even Big C has a selection of imported products and also smallgoods made by companies like TGM.

I've been in ISPY's shop a couple of times but never bought anything, the selection always seems a bit limited and expensive.

Northern Farm appears to have deteriorated over the past year after what seemed to have been a change of management.

I still go to Don's Foods regularly and Macro can reveal some surprises if you're prepared to spend the time hunting the fridges. I got some great ham steaks there this year.

Deli Shop next to Da Vinci (little Soi). The owner makes sausages, different kinds of meats, cheese, bread etc. Really worth your visit!

Another post featuring more SPAM than ham >> Pheon Group. Adding the URL adds no benefit other than advertising when no map is provided on the page referenced.

I've been in ISPY's shop a couple of times ..

Is ISPY actually associated with that shop or was your comment figurative?

Yep, going into grouch mode.

No idea if there's any connection.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it but this place is a bit hard to find. It's sign posted but you can walk past it and not see it quite easily.

My personal patronage of Farang type shops has diminished considerably this year due to lifestyle changes like diet and not drinking. I brought a kg of good cheese back from Australia 5 weeks ago and have eaten little more than a third.

I've been in ISPY's shop a couple of times ..

Is ISPY actually associated with that shop or was your comment figurative?

Yep, going into grouch mode.

No idea if there's any connection.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it but this place is a bit hard to find. It's sign posted but you can walk past it and not see it quite easily.

I hope that you are speaking of 'naming' the farang food places rather than spamming the forum.

My personal patronage of Farang type shops has diminished considerably this year due to lifestyle changes like diet and not drinking. I brought a kg of good cheese back from Australia 5 weeks ago and have eaten little more than a third.

You can always give the rest away. :o

Edited by klikster

I hope that you are speaking of 'naming' the farang food places rather than spamming the forum.

I merely indicate that I'm all for this type of shop, even if I may not personally patronise it.

You can always give the rest away.

I have a Dutch neighbor who is also related by marriage. :o

I don't think so, Egyptian food doesn't bear much resemblance to Indonesian food.

They have a few dietary rules like not eating pork or drinking alcohol but most religions go out of their way to make life difficult for their followers.

I see the Christians are busy excommunicating that poor woman in Brazil who organised an abortion for her raped 9 year old daughter.

I probably didn't understand the joke and because of that must mention that doesn't Islam really force you to eat pretty much the same stuff all over the world thus undermining your argument?

I'm not sure what you were trying to say but All pig products ham, bacon, pork whatever is deemed unfit for all Islamic's consume. You can pretty much eat anything just not anything pork related(pig being a very dirty and filthy animal) this includes wild boar and wild pigs hogs and related products. Even M&Ms and other flavored or colored candies, only can eat the yellow ones because of the dye that is used in the dark colors(made from crushed insect carcasses). Actually if you are strict(in Religion) then you can only eat "Halal" food. Which is produced and made by Islamics for Islamics(in the case of meat it is killed by an Islamic facing east while reciting something or simply saying "Bismillah" meaning in the name of God). But no for the most part anything but pork. And please people let us not get the Beautiful Islam confused with Terrorism and violence against females. Islamics are being demonized just like blacks, hispanics, asians and so forth. Islam is about peace and knowledge, nee Kwam jing na!

For the sake of fair and square neither would you want to write any propaganda in that case. But, of course, I'll not go down that road and just let Pat Condell speak for me instead. He also speaks about peace and knowledge.

I probably didn't understand the joke and because of that must mention that doesn't Islam really force you to eat pretty much the same stuff all over the world thus undermining your argument?

I'm not sure what you were trying to say but All pig products ham, bacon, pork whatever is deemed unfit for all Islamic's consume. You can pretty much eat anything just not anything pork related(pig being a very dirty and filthy animal) this includes wild boar and wild pigs hogs and related products. Even M&Ms and other flavored or colored candies, only can eat the yellow ones because of the dye that is used in the dark colors(made from crushed insect carcasses). Actually if you are strict(in Religion) then you can only eat "Halal" food. Which is produced and made by Islamics for Islamics(in the case of meat it is killed by an Islamic facing east while reciting something or simply saying "Bismillah" meaning in the name of God). But no for the most part anything but pork. And please people let us not get the Beautiful Islam confused with Terrorism and violence against females. Islamics are being demonized just like blacks, hispanics, asians and so forth. Islam is about peace and knowledge, nee Kwam jing na!

This isn't an anti-islam post, Islam is a beautiful religion, but I wanted to stand up for my curly-tailed friends as they find it difficult to type with their trotters. Pigs are actually very clean animals, you may think they are dirty because they are often covered in mud but they roll in mud to cool down and the mud also protects their skin from UV rays as they burn very quickly and easily and it helps keep bugs off too. Humans pay a lot of money at a spa for a mud-bath but they don't get labeled as dirty & filthy! Pigs also use a specific area as a toilet which is well away from their food and bedding and don't roll in their toilet area. And I would stay away from yellow M&M's as they are yellow due to the additive E110 (sunset yellow) which Mars are currently trying to remove from their products as recent research showed it has harmful effects. Got to go now, my wife wants an English sausage ;-)

oink oink

Religion aside, an example of my trip to get supplies for a simple wienerschnitzel: Supertops, local market, smaller tops and then luckily I had some things already from Macro and Nortern Farm so I didn't have to go there today but they have to be included. Now I realise I'm out of lemon but lime has to suffice!

Of course not! That would have broken my budget anyway I'm sure. I made a variant using loin of pork and cut a few small boneless cutlets that work equally well if you're young enough to bang them really thin for 30 minutes.

Fried potatoes with rosemary and a little garlic, homemade brown sauce and of course lime, capers and obviously real anchovies. Boiled peas as well, it was a hearty winter meal...

On a side note, I have a very good friend who is Iranian, and Jewish.

We had many long discussions about the observance of kosher, which is in many ways similar to the Muslim halal.

The thing I learned, was that this is not just some senseless antiquated religio-mystico belief.

The 2 religions believe that if you are going to slaughter animals, and consume their meat, not only should certain sanitary standards be met, but that there should be some (minimal) observance in a spiritual sense...hence the certification of the slaughterhouse by some priest, or rabbi, or mullah.

It's really not so different from the simple ritual that native Americans did when they killed an animal such as the buffalo.

They prayed to its spirit, they thanked the gods for their luck in the hunt...and then they joyfully consumed the delicious barbecued meat!

For the record, I'm a one time vegetarian, who had a most excellent rib eye tonight, accompanied by a toothsome South African Shiraz. :o

We had many long discussions about the observance of kosher, which is in many ways similar to the Muslim halal.

The thing I learned, was that this is not just some senseless antiquated religio-mystico belief.

The 2 religions believe that if you are going to slaughter animals, and consume their meat, not only should certain sanitary standards be met, but that there should be some (minimal) observance in a spiritual sense...hence the certification of the slaughterhouse by some priest, or rabbi, or mullah.

It's really not so different from the simple ritual that native Americans did when they killed an animal such as the buffalo.

They prayed to its spirit, they thanked the gods for their luck in the hunt...and then they joyfully consumed the delicious barbecued meat!

For the record, I'm a one time vegetarian, who had a most excellent rib eye tonight, accompanied by a toothsome South African Shiraz. :o

dont forget the Old Dutch

where henk makes very nice bread and sausage rolls, cookies, cakes soups and dutch food take away

also buy dutch cheese from him much cheeper than at npf or da vinci

Edited by localguy

This isn't an anti-islam post, Islam is a beautiful religion, but I wanted to stand up for my curly-tailed friends as they find it difficult to type with their trotters. Pigs are actually very clean animals, you may think they are dirty because they are often covered in mud but they roll in mud to cool down and the mud also protects their skin from UV rays as they burn very quickly and easily and it helps keep bugs off too. Humans pay a lot of money at a spa for a mud-bath but they don't get labeled as dirty & filthy! Pigs also use a specific area as a toilet which is well away from their food and bedding and don't roll in their toilet area. And I would stay away from yellow M&M's as they are yellow due to the additive E110 (sunset yellow) which Mars are currently trying to remove from their products as recent research showed it has harmful effects. Got to go now, my wife wants an English sausage ;-)

oink oink

The only problem for me is that the "mud" they are completely covered in are often times containing very high aounts of their own feces and urine. I have yet to see a cow chicken or even a fish do the same. I have seen pigs drink anothers urine while they were urinating. I was not born Islamic so I can say I've eatin pork and bacon before, my point is is that it is(in my opinion) nothing special.

As a born again health food nut I spend my days stalking the giant white radish and the crispy cucumber in their refrigerated environment.

On the completion of a successful hunt I carry out a joyous victory dance and offer up their souls to the great spirit.

Today the shy and elusive carrot is my prey!

The only problem for me is that the "mud" they are completely covered in are often times containing very high aounts of their own feces and urine. I have yet to see a cow chicken or even a fish do the same. I have seen pigs drink anothers urine while they were urinating. I was not born Islamic so I can say I've eatin pork and bacon before, my point is is that it is(in my opinion) nothing special.

Geez, with so much material where does an old grouch start.

Cows - are vegetarians, but when dairy cattle graze on bitter weeds, you can taste it in their milk. Do those chemical compounds / enzymes, et.al. find their way into the flesh tissues? I have also seen cows lying in manure.

Chickens - I do believe that if you closely observe these creatures, you may well observe them picking grains from all manner of animal feces. And we all know where eggs come from.

Fish - They pee in the sea. How exactly do they dispose of it? Do you know the specific gravity of fish pee? Sure, they can swim away, but there's a whale just around the next reef.

Pigs - They do roll in the mud. It is entirely possible that they get some waste on themselves. But do you really believe that those wastes somehow penetrate their tough hide?

Pigs will eat virtually anything available to them. They will eat human flesh and I'm a strong believer in karma .. please pass the bacon.

Sheep - We all know the rumors about what those folks down under do to those poor creatures .. so .. lamb, anyone?

As to the ritual slaying of animals, I believe satanists do that as well. And I can't see how it benefits the animal in any manner whatsoever. It would seem, however, to delay the execution just a bit. It's up to you to decide if that's a good and moral thing or not. :o

As for the "drinking of urine" .. I know that bulls will "appear" to drink the urine of a cow "in season". The urine is running over the nostrils. Nature's signal for the two animals to mate? Perhaps that is what your observed pigs were doing.

Edited by klikster

Geez, with so much material where does an old grouch start.

Cows - are vegetarians, but when dairy cattle graze on bitter weeds, you can taste it in their milk. Do those chemical compounds / enzymes, et.al. find their way into the flesh tissues? I have also seen cows lying in manure.

Chickens - I do believe that if you closely observe these creatures, you may well observe them picking grains from all manner of animal feces. And we all know where eggs come from.

Fish - They pee in the sea. How exactly do they dispose of it? Do you know the specific gravity of fish pee? Sure, they can swim away, but there's a whale just around the next reef.

Pigs - They do roll in the mud. It is entirely possible that they get some waste on themselves. But do you really believe that those wastes somehow penetrate their tough hide?

Pigs will eat virtually anything available to them. They will eat human flesh and I'm a strong believer in karma .. please pass the bacon.

Sheep - We all know the rumors about what those folks down under do to those poor creatures .. so .. lamb, anyone?

As to the ritual slaying of animals, I believe satanists do that as well. And I can't see how it benefits the animal in any manner whatsoever. It would seem, however, to delay the execution just a bit. It's up to you to decide if that's a good and moral thing or not. :o

As for the "drinking of urine" .. I know that bulls will "appear" to drink the urine of a cow "in season". The urine is running over the nostrils. Nature's signal for the two animals to mate? Perhaps that is what your observed pigs were doing.

Slaying of animals huh? I bet you don't feel guilty when you bite into one(or have before). Such a weak argument, do you actually believe what you say or do you just speak before you think? Trying to protect an animals that swims in its own shit? By all means eat as much as you can. You are what you eat, I would rather be anything than a pig. Your claims and opinions do nothing to sway my thought or beliefs so take that passive aggressive frustration and find a little angry friend you can bicker with. Asalaamalaikum shaitan.

Slaying of animals huh? I bet you don't feel guilty when you bite into one(or have before). Such a weak argument, do you actually believe what you say or do you just speak before you think? Trying to protect an animals that swims in its own shit? By all means eat as much as you can. You are what you eat, I would rather be anything than a pig. Your claims and opinions do nothing to sway my thought or beliefs so take that passive aggressive frustration and find a little angry friend you can bicker with. Asalaamalaikum shaitan.

Well, unless you eat live animals, I would guess that the cows, fish and chickens that you do eat would be slain, would they not?

Do I feel guilty about biting into a "dead animal"? Not at all. I do, however, feel even better when I bite into one if I believe it was not tortured nor its killing overly delayed. Actually, that's only partly true. I normally forget to wonder .. especially if I'm hungry.

"You are what you eat." Do you ever eat nuts?

Weak argument? Which of what I wrote, other than that "slaying" paragraph, are you questioning the veracity of?

If I were trying to protect " .. animals that swims in its own shit" I would join protests against whaling.

Your outbursts seems to me motivated more by religion than by reason. As such, your opinions are duly noted.

" .. so take that passive aggressive frustration and find a little angry friend you can bicker with."

First, it appears that you are not a connoisseur of marginal satire.

Second, it appears that I am not a worthy practitioner of that literary device.

Third, it seems that " .. a little angry friend" has already begun the bickering.

In closing, I might ask that you please explain why religious fundamentalists of all persuasions seem unable to tolerate thoughts and opinions that have not leaped from the pages of their chosen text.

Go Sooners!

Ahem...well...sputter (soto voice).

Ladies and Gentlemen, Labour and Tory, Tamil and Sinhalese, Rastafarian and Miami Cuban-American Republican....

Can't we just all have a beer, a quick chat, maybe go listen to music together....

Just kidding.

Let's steer this thread back on topic, to the OP's subject of "Falang Style Shops In CR?".

Or this will metaphorically fly on the wings of angels.