Sending Fruit To Canada

willnv

So my wife has this crazy idea of having her sister send some mangoes to our house in Canada. Im pretty sure you can't do this, but my wife says shes seen or heard of people sending fruits to people in other countries. I know you can't bring fruit with you when your entering Canada but as far as mailing it is concerned, I don't know. Even if it is allowed would it encounter a hefty duty fee when entering Canada?

Thanks

Why would you want to do that? :o

You can find all kinds of mango even in CANANA.....similiar or same same taste

Dont ask me, haha. Mangoes are expensive in Canada, but I'm pretty sure it would be even more expensive to mail them here, even if they would be free. I think they are some kind of special baby mango that she wants to eat.

So my wife has this crazy idea of having her sister send some mangoes to our house in Canada. Im pretty sure you can't do this, but my wife says shes seen or heard of people sending fruits to people in other countries. I know you can't bring fruit with you when your entering Canada but as far as mailing it is concerned, I don't know. Even if it is allowed would it encounter a hefty duty fee when entering Canada?

To Australia (where one is not allowed to take any fresh food, even factory packed jars and tins have to be declared and inspected, even chewing gums) for controlled imports from Thai fruit there are tresholds how many items from the shipment have to pass the tests for the shipment to be allowed in.

For mangoes and durian: 600 out of 1000 fruits have to be cut opened and inspected (for fruit flies and whatever), pass the test and then they are allowed into the country. One fails, the whole shipment is destroyed in flames.

Of course, even if they passed, the number of samples wasted would make them outrageously expensive so it's like an unofficial ban on imports.

Now, think what chance a crate of mangoes sent to Canada stands to be allowed in.

Edited by think_too_mut

Why would you want to do that? :o

You can find all kinds of mango even in CANANA.....similiar or same same taste

Dont ask me, haha. Mangoes are expensive in Canada, but I'm pretty sure it would be even more expensive to mail them here, even if they would be free. I think they are some kind of special baby mango that she wants to eat.

Just be a MAN....put your foot down and say NO NO NO

It's just a silly thing to do REALLY....if you ask me

And...

I'm pretty sure the department of Agriculture and disease control will have something to say about it, just like in the US

According to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency Automated Import Reference System, you can import up to 250 kg of fresh guavas, mangoes and mangosteens from Thailand for personal consumption (ie not for sale), under the following conditions:

Shipment of fresh fruits and vegetables must consist of 15 packages or less with a weight not exceeding 250 kg (551 lb).

-Subject to inspection by CFIA.

-Must be free from soil, pests, leaves and plant debris.

·Under the Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Regulations and the Licensing and Arbitration Regulations, commercial shipments, defined as a vehicle load of fresh fruit and vegetables consisting of 15 packages or less, but with a weight not exceeding 250 kg (551 lb) in aggregate (total), are exempted from the Inspection Certificate and Confirmation of Sale requirements.

People ship fresh fruit into Canada all the time. Contact a freight forwarder or a company which makes up gift cases.

If it's just a case of mangoes that you'd like to bring in with you on the plane, I may be wrong, but I think you can do it. It's not meat products which are forbidden. Canada would not have any fresh tropical fruit at all if importation of it were banned. I can't find anything on the CBSA website which says you can't bring in fruit.

Here are 2 statements I read from a Q&A on the US Dept of Agr web site

Q. When traveling, can I carry fresh litchis,

longans, mangoes, mangosteens, pineapples,

and/or rambutans from Thailand to the United

States in my personal baggage?

A. No. The rule only applies to commercial shipments

of irradiated fruit from Thailand. Individuals traveling

from Thailand to the United States cannot bring these

fruits, even if they have been treated, in their personal

baggage. The fruit must enter the United States via

commercial channels (air or ship) where quarantine

security can be assured. Boxes of fruit leaving that

chain of custody are prohibited entry into the

United States.

Q. Can I send litchis, longans, mangoes, mangosteens,

pineapples, and/or rambutans from

Thailand to the United States through the mail?

A. No. As stated above, these fruits can only be

commercially shipped to the United States. The fruit

must be sent directly from the irradiation facility to

its means of commericial conveyance (air or ship)

and then exported directly to the United States. This

ensures a strict chain of custody in the event the

imported fruit shows signs of pest infestation.