Air Quality

brasso

looking for advise comeing to thailand for a holiday to chaing mai for a few days about 17/18 march wondering about the air quality (smog) this time of year, better to stay away or not, good advise sort please,

I think that it really depends on you. As long as I stay downtown in the tourist district, it does not bother me, but if I take a ride out of town, at this time of year, I get a dry throat and the air looks a smoggy brown.

I have seen much worse air pollution in Manilla and Bangkok at certain times, but anyone who has difficulty breathing would be uncomfortable in March and April if it does not rain.

If you are normally sensitive to pollution, I would say stay away.

thanks no prob with any breathing difficultys, maybe go on a tour or two mainly stay in the town, going to the night market etc, just want a few days without thinking to much about the smog being to bad ,thanks

IMHO, I don't think that you would have any problems during a short term stay (particularly if you are reasonably healthy to start with)

It's more people that are exposed to it over greater periods (motorcyclists, tuk tuk drivers) asthmatic's or people with other respiratory problems who will likely experience some discomfort.

As said there are places that are a lot worse than Chiang Mai, however having said that there are many many places that are a he11 of lot better too :o

Edited by john b good

I am in the middle of the tourist area, all day every day, and do not feel uncomfortable and hardly ever hear anyone complaining about this area that does not have some kind of a medical condiition. I do hear people complaining about going up to Doi Suthep mountain and some other areas.

If you really want to appreciate all about Chiang Mai and Northern Thailand, you really ought not travel here from mid-February - mid-April (Songkran, the Thai New Year). Come another time, however. You really don't have to fear the rainy season. The rain really doesn't seriously interrupt very much activity. And the "winter" season is delightful.

As far as air quality goes, March is the worst time of year for Chiangmai. The pollution has been breaching government-defined acceptable levels by 50% on many days. Personally, if it were feasible for me, I'd escape the city this time of year and you actually want to pay good money to come here.

Having said that, if you're healthy and only here for a few days, you'll be alright— if being alright is all you want from a holiday. If you want to enjoy all that Chiangmai has to offer (and it has plenty, including beautiful clear skies and crisp mountain air—just not in March), I respectfully suggest November as a good time.

--oops, looks like Mapguy beat me to saying something quite similar.

Edited by Thakkar

I've been here for quite a few years......the last few as a spirit, as my mortal form passed away a few years ago. Being in spirit form has worked wonders for my health...... I don't eat of drink nearly as much, [ make that drink spirits only] and this really cuts down on the impact on the economical downage. The landlord, being a true Thai, doesn't come by anymore as he knows that this is a spirit house now. So the decrease in tourism is showing only a limited effect.

but today I am finding it to be very smokey outdoors. This doesn't bother me as far as breathing goes, but it makes it difference on seeing other spirits, trying to sneak up on me. Forget can't see the trees cuz of the forest, cant see the spirit cuz of the smoke.

On more of a more fleshy side, has anyone noted a huge increase in the mosquito population in the past month or so ????

Well back to the spirit home for the aged...... til next time BOOOOOOOdddd on ya Mates.....

Edited by Gonzo the Face

As far as air quality goes, March is the worst time of year for Chiangmai. The pollution has been breaching government-defined acceptable levels by 50% on many days. Personally, if it were feasible for me, I'd escape the city this time of year and you actually want to pay good money to come here.

Having said that, if you're healthy and only here for a few days, you'll be alright— if being alright is all you want from a holiday. If you want to enjoy all that Chiangmai has to offer (and it has plenty, including beautiful clear skies and crisp mountain air—just not in March), I respectfully suggest November as a good time.

I think we all agree that the air is positively grotty at the moment, and has been so for the last two weeks. However, for the sake of precision, the air pollution level at the Chiang Mai measuring station has only exceeded the government-defined level (120 µg/m3) on one day so far this year (2 March). The last time before that was on 19 March 2007.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that we are not heading into a March like the one of 2007 :o

/ Priceless

I think we all agree that the air is positively grotty at the moment, and has been so for the last two weeks. However, for the sake of precision, the air pollution level at the Chiang Mai measuring station has only exceeded the government-defined level (120 µg/m3) on one day so far this year (2 March). The last time before that was on 19 March 2007.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that we are not heading into a March like the one of 2007 :o

/ Priceless

True. The figures are from around March 2nd (as reported on the news) but subsequent days have seemed to me to be almost as bad and I assumed the figures would be similar, I should have clarified. The negative assumption stemmed from the fact that the burning feeling in my eyes that began earlier in the week continues unabated. I realize that on an accuracy scale, that's somewhat above 'perception' but way below empirical data.

My sense from watching the news and endless discussions by television talking heads is that the authorities are this year much more aware of the seriousness of the problems and acting to mitigate the situation as best they can instead of burying their heads in the sand and blaming everything on burnings in Burma the way they did in 2007. I'm therefore hopeful that less negligence will result in less pollution this year. Kpeenig my Fnigres corsesd. dam_n! that affects my typing.

I think today is the worst so far this season. I used to live on the west side with a view (or not) of Doi Suthep and it provided a constant frame of reference but living in an area with nothing in the way of majestic vistas it's harder to tell on a daily basis other than the sore throat and claustrophobic feeling I'm beginning to get.

Today I drove around the Superhighway and was amazed at just how poor the visibility has become. Yes, these were taken with a long lens but to give you some reference the big sign in the centre distance is Alpine and Carrefour is what, three or four hundred metres down the road - check out the sign (you can just see the arrow part of it since I didn't want to risk being run over for a moment longer than necessary).

486014888_G7Ftx-L.jpg

486014968_MWoHS-L.jpg

/ Priceless

True. The figures are from around March 2nd (as reported on the news) but subsequent days have seemed to me to be almost as bad and I assumed the figures would be similar, I should have clarified. The negative assumption stemmed from the fact that the burning feeling in my eyes that began earlier in the week continues unabated. I realize that on an accuracy scale, that's somewhat above 'perception' but way below empirical data.

My sense from watching the news and endless discussions by television talking heads is that the authorities are this year much more aware of the seriousness of the problems and acting to mitigate the situation as best they can instead of burying their heads in the sand and blaming everything on burnings in Burma the way they did in 2007. I'm therefore hopeful that less negligence will result in less pollution this year. Kpeenig my Fnigres corsesd. dam_n! that affects my typing.

My apologies, I realize I was nit-picking a bit :D I guess it's just that I am so tired of some members who post blatantly false information that I sometimes overreact a bit to rather minor errors.

Let's hope that you are right about the authorities becoming more aware and actually starting to act. As has been pointed out, the emissions problem is unfortunately a regional one as can be seen from this picture that shows fires during the last week (source: http://maps.geog.umd.edu/website/Activefir...dMap=Thailand):

post-20094-1236327373_thumb.jpg

/ Priceless

Priceless did not note that you can play around considerably at this site to plot the fires at various scales. Fascinating. And, working on this site, you can zero in on Doi Suthep - Pui.

His point that fires during this particular seasonal are regional is not very newsy, And the point isn't supported in a truly informative way by a map that is not isoplethic showing pertinent wind and atmospheric pressure information. Such overlays are often seen these days in a time-lapse presentation on sophisticated weather sites. Sometimes you just see satellite photos of cloud movement, for example, without the overlay. About ten years ago I used to use such graphical information to anticipate whether it was going to rain or not where I planned to go fishing. Worked pretty well.

Edited by Mapguy

/ Priceless

Priceless, generally I agree with you and your use of quantifiable statistics, but I have to disagree with what you wrote above.

If you go to the PCD site and graph "Chiang Mai" the PM10 level was above 120 on the following dates:

20 Feb

26 Feb

1 March

2 March

4 March

5 March

6 March

19, 21, and 22 Feb seem to be lost.

27 and 28 Feb were just under the 120 limit at 118 and 116.

The reported figures for Uparaj in the city are far worse.

Priceless, you'll lose your credibility by reporting erroneous stats.

inmo, this appears to be reaching 2007 levels.

Edited by el jefe

/ Priceless

My apologies, I realize I was nit-picking a bit :D I guess it's just that I am so tired of some members who post blatantly false information that I sometimes overreact a bit to rather minor errors.

Let's hope that you are right about the authorities becoming more aware and actually starting to act. As has been pointed out, the emissions problem is unfortunately a regional one as can be seen from this picture that shows fires during the last week (source: http://maps.geog.umd.edu/website/Activefir...dMap=Thailand):

/ Priceless

It is unfortunate that the map does not show fires in Southern China since I suspect that may add further clues that would help in understanding the problem more fully.

/ Priceless

Priceless, generally I agree with you and your use of quantifiable statistics, but I have to disagree with what you wrote above.

If you go to the PCD site and graph "Chiang Mai" the PM10 level was above 120 on the following dates:

20 Feb

26 Feb

1 March

2 March

4 March

5 March

6 March

Can you post the data on Uparaj or at least a synopsis?

/ Priceless

20 Feb

26 Feb

1 March

2 March

4 March

5 March

6 March

My sincere apologies for my typo (omission)! If you look at the previous post, I was replying to a poster claiming "The pollution has been breaching government-defined acceptable levels by 50% on many days.". That is what I was commenting on but didn't make sufficiently clear (except in my quoting the previous poster).

You're quite right in that the pollution level at the Chiang Mai measuring station has been above the stipulated maximum on seven days so far this year, and on three separate occasions last year.

The levels at Uparaj have been more than 50% over the limit twice this year and above the 120 µg/m3 limit on ten occasions.

In the above terms, this year is already worse than last year (which, however, was the best one this decade).

Again, my apologies for leaving out the all-important "50%".

/ Priceless

/ Priceless

/ Priceless

But on the serious side....... anybody else see the picture of the dog in the map ??? Dog sitting on his haunches facing left..... Look at the outline of the map..... Pretty clear to me...... Now thats important...

Gonzo

/ Priceless

/ Priceless

But on the serious side....... anybody else see the picture of the dog in the map ??? Dog sitting on his haunches facing left..... Look at the outline of the map..... Pretty clear to me...... Now thats important...

Gonzo

I see the Dog Gonzo, your right mate. Time to get out of dodge.

Seriously though, I'm sat here in rural Chiang rai and we've actually got smog in the room. Kids are coughing so am I. I can see the fire line on the horizon in the same place as last night. So they've restarted the Fire. Did someone say the authorities are taking this seriously :D Just thinking about maybe taking a trip further south when the kids finish school for the holidays. How many of you guys consider it also. Not wanting to be too dramatic but a sort of temporary evacuation ?

/ Priceless

/ Priceless

Gonzo

Seriously though, I'm sat here in rural Chiang rai and we've actually got smog in the room. Kids are coughing so am I. I can see the fire line on the horizon in the same place as last night. So they've restarted the Fire. Did someone say the authorities are taking this seriously :D Just thinking about maybe taking a trip further south when the kids finish school for the holidays. How many of you guys consider it also. Not wanting to be too dramatic but a sort of temporary evacuation ?

Leave if you want. I'm enjoying myself here too much to split :D

/ Priceless

/ Priceless

Gonzo

Leave if you want. I'm enjoying myself here too much to split :D

Good for you. Maybe you should get together with UG, Priceless, Winnie the Kwai and all the other naysayers and have yourself a jolly little smog-free party, while those folk seriously concerned by this issue take what steps are necessary to protect themselves and their families from its harmful effects.

Seriously though, I'm sat here in rural Chiang rai and we've actually got smog in the room. Kids are coughing so am I. I can see the fire line on the horizon in the same place as last night. So they've restarted the Fire. Did someone say the authorities are taking this seriously :o Just thinking about maybe taking a trip further south when the kids finish school for the holidays. How many of you guys consider it also. Not wanting to be too dramatic but a sort of temporary evacuation ?

I am. Just a couple of weeks of fresh sea air would make me feel a whole lot better. Good time for a holiday.

Edited by Greenside

Seriously though, I'm sat here in rural Chiang rai and we've actually got smog in the room. Kids are coughing so am I. I can see the fire line on the horizon in the same place as last night. So they've restarted the Fire. Did someone say the authorities are taking this seriously :o Just thinking about maybe taking a trip further south when the kids finish school for the holidays. How many of you guys consider it also. Not wanting to be too dramatic but a sort of temporary evacuation ?

I am. Just a couple of weeks of fresh sea air would make me feel a whole lot better. Good time for a holiday.

Thats what I was thinking Greenside. Not knocking Chiang Mai or the North, I was going to do some touring around the north but it seems more sensible to go south. Kids couths are a bit worrying also. I know someones going to say , well go ahead :D

Good for you. Maybe you should get together with UG, Priceless, Winnie the Kwai and all the other naysayers and have yourself a jolly little smog-free party, while those folk seriously concerned by this issue take what steps are necessary to protect themselves and their families from its harmful effects.

ie: Whinge about it on Thai Visa!

(Sorry, I could not resist) :o

Edited by Ulysses G.