PAD Planning Its Own Party To "Reshape" Thai Politic Landscape

george

PAD planning its own party to "reshape" Thai politic landscape

BANGKOK: -- The People's Alliance for Democracy is making preparations to form a new political party, which may be named Thien Hang Tham Party (Candles for Righteousness), sources said yesterday.

The new party is likely to be headed by PAD co-leader Chamlong Srimuang and its key agenda is to push for the realisation of "new politics", according to the sources.

Chamlong was once founder and leader of the Palang Dharma Party. After stepping down as that party's leader, he was replaced by Thaksin Shinawatra, who later became prime minister.

The PAD is expected soon to organise a national convention of its supporters from across the country to pave the way for the party's formation.

The PAD wants to reshape the Thai political landscape in order to overcome party domination by financiers, the prevailing system known as rogue capitalism-driven.

The new party should be a mass movement modelled after the green movement for environmental conservation, or the labour movement.

On the drawing board are ideas like the screening of electoral candidates chosen and endorsed by local voters instead of the party executive board, the nomination of Cabinet members based on job qualifications and not partisan quotas, and a ban on MPs concurrently holding ministerial appointments.

Suriyasai Katasila, the PAD's coordinator, said yesterday it was "highly likely" a new political party would be set up to push for the PAD's ideas on new politics.

He said the current political parties, including the ruling Democrat Party, had no potential for realising the new political ideology. "They have a lot of limitations that keep them stuck in the old cycle," he said.

Suriyasai said there were calls from many PAD supporters for a new political party to facilitate the group's political campaigns. He added that it was not easy to establish a new party and it would be time-consuming to become well organised.

PAD co-leader Pipop Thongchai said the evolution of the PAD had reached a point of becoming a genuine mass movement, warranting party formation as a logical next step.

In Europe, environmental activists have elevated their fight via the political party after their green movement gained prominence and acceptance by the people, he said.

Pipop said he was ready to support the party's formation although he would not get directly involved in its management. He added he wanted to focus on continuing to promote public participation rather than move to partisan politicking.

Pipop said that another co-leader Sondhi Limthongkul would devote his attention to running ASTV, the satellite broadcasting station, instead of taking a lead role in the new party.

Co-leader Chaiwat Sinsuwong had earlier decided to form a separate party which may or may not merge with the new party at a later date, he said.

According to information from the Election Commission, a political party called Tien Haeng Dhama was registered on April 28, 2008. Its Thai spelling is the same as that of one planned by the PAD.

Earlier, there were rumours by its critics that the PAD had registered a new political party with that name.

The registered Tien Haeng Dhama had Thanakorn Vitakuldejthawee as party leader and Jantima Vitakuldejthawee as secretary-general. It has nine people registered as executive board members and its head office is in Nakhon Ratchasima.

-- The Nation 2009-03-06

I was waiting for this topic for a couple of days after hearing about it through DStation.

:o Nice move! This is how they should fight. If people accept their concept, they'll vote for them.

Protesting at airports and sleeping for months in Government House is not the right way.

I was waiting for this topic for a couple of days after hearing about it through DStation.

:o Nice move! This is how they should fight. If people accept their concept, they'll vote for them.

Protesting at airports and sleeping for months in Government House is not the right way.

And when they don't win....they will terrorize the country again. Vote for us or suffer the consequences.

How about arresting the leaders?

Without Chamlong,what many people of the PAD seem to have forgotten, Taxin would probably not have entered politics.Chamlong encouraged him to become political active and sponsert him along the way and, as mentioned above, handed him his PDP and started planting vegetables an activity he apparently got bored with.

Edited by bunnaag

^Yeah, one would infer it might cannibalise the Democrat vote - even partially.

This might be a gambit, perhaps the current Government is not being attentive enough to the PAD - arguably the architects of their empowerment. So the PAD are saying 'hey don't you forget about us'

They weren't interested then and no one knows how it will turn out now.

Last year parliamentrary politics didn't work. This year there's a chance for PAD to pursue their agenda via normal political channels.

Still, no one knows how much support is there for this new proposed party. People rallied around PAD in its fight against Thaksin but new politics is a whole new kettle of fish, I suspect PAD party will be a flop.

I don't think political reform will work that way at all - by setting an "example" party and hoping everyone else would follow the suit. It doesn't work that way, at best Democrats would take on some sort of local caucuses for selecting MPs, nothing more than that.

PAD would be better of by working with civil society to put pressure on politicians. King Prajadipok will present its own ideas on the reform soon, hopefully that will spark a debate and PAD can become an active part of it.

Working from outside the system is more effective - messing about with real politics wil only damage PAD's reputation and credibility. They either get caught for engaing in dirty games or lose elections big time, it's a no win situation, like wrestling with pigs or arguing with idiots.

Working from outside the system is more effective - messing about with real politics wil only damage PAD's reputation and credibility. They either get caught for engaing in dirty games or lose elections big time, it's a no win situation, like wrestling with pigs or arguing with idiots.

I'm afraid you are correct.

They refer to the Green Parties in Europe, well this moment all the Green Party's Idea's are took over by the traditional parties and that's one of the reasons for their decline all over Europe.

One of the other reasons for their decline was exactly described by you.

I'm afraid you are correct.

They refer to the Green Parties in Europe, well this moment all the Green Party's Idea's are took over by the traditional parties and that's one of the reasons for their decline all over Europe.

One of the other reasons for their decline was exactly described by you.

In which case the whole point of a political movement has had its effect by actually bringing the issues to the notice of the other parties.

This idea that it is better to work outside of the political system otherwise you get caught engaghing in dirty politics or actually standing for and possibly losing elections is the whole point of Democracy. If you are more popular than the other guy you get voted in.

Strange that some people here are advocating not standing legally as candidates as they feel they would lose but happy to stand in an airport using fear and intimidation and shouting about democracy.

Hypocricy would seem to be the word i am looking for.

Civic groups and NGOs are a must have feature of democracy. Why would anyoine argue otherwise.

I think PAD would do better by not joining the political fracas with all the vote getting scams and unavoidable deal making ala Newin+Democrats.

Politics are dirty by definition, by staying outside of it civic groups can stay untainted and uncompromising in their ideals. With enough populas support they can bring about changes in politicians, force their agenda into mainstream politics, they can achieve quite a lot.

If for every single issue people needed to form a party and win elections, nothing would ever get done. Isn't it obvious?

This might be a gambit, perhaps the current Government is not being attentive enough to the PAD - arguably the architects of their empowerment. So the PAD are saying 'hey don't you forget about us'

Some more details that I haven't seen in The Nation's or Bangkok Post's coverage - this from Bangkok Pundit:

ASTV Manager reports [ http://www.manager.co.th/Politics/ViewNews...D=9520000025071 ] that Sondhi after praising Abhisit for showing his skills domestically and internationally, but said that PAD will set up a political party unless the government deals with the "police state" of Somchai. Sondhi L said he has written a letter to Abhisit to remove Pol Maj-Gen Amnuay Nimmano from the case investigating the PAD. However, Sondhi L states they wouldn't contest in the South as not to compete with the Democrats and in some constituencies in Bangkok although this depends on whether the Democrats view us as their enemy or a group that loves the nation, religion, and monarchy.

He says the party (1) won't accept Cabinet positions as they don't want to fight like dogs over a bone, (2) accept any financial support from capitalists instead they will seek 100 baht a month from members, and (3) MPs must donate all of their money to charity.

http://bangkokpundit.blogspot.com/2009/03/...-new-party.html

My Thai is not up to deciphering ASTV Manager's output. Anyone better equipped to comment on the validity of the above?

Civic groups and NGOs are a must have feature of democracy. Why would anyoine argue otherwise.

I think PAD would do better by not joining the political fracas with all the vote getting scams and unavoidable deal making ala Newin+Democrats.

Politics are dirty by definition, by staying outside of it civic groups can stay untainted and uncompromising in their ideals. With enough populas support they can bring about changes in politicians, force their agenda into mainstream politics, they can achieve quite a lot.

I won't doubt what you say, but can they avoid being held accountable for their actions without joining the political fracas doing some deal making?

To run for an election these boys will have to "expose" their "new Politics" agenda. "Vote for us and we'll take away your right to vote. Because you are much too un-educated to vote". Could be a landslide :D :D

:o:D:D

To run for an election these boys will have to "expose" their "new Politics" agenda. "Vote for us and we'll take away your right to vote. Because you are much too un-educated to vote". Could be a landslide :D :D

At this point I think Thaxin has more chance than they do which is to say is very very small. But don’t forget vote are bought here :o

PAD never worked outside the system.

PAD was/is a tool of a system that operates outside the confines of democracy.

To run for an election these boys will have to "expose" their "new Politics" agenda. "Vote for us and we'll take away your right to vote. Because you are much too un-educated to vote". Could be a landslide :D:D

At this point I think Thaxin has more chance than they do which is to say is very very small. But don't forget vote are bought here :o

mhatami - 19 posts since 2003? I must say I am honored to have witnessed one! :D

Exactly my first thought too. And if the Dems dont respond well split their vote let the latest proxy party win an election and force the bureacracy to do new politics. PAD have a number of avenues open to them. However, a split from the Dems is also risky as a hel_l of a lot of PAD sympathisers only wanted a change of government to a Dem one and now they have that. A PAD total split form the Dems would leave the PAD a lot meaner but also a lot leaner in terms of sympathisers and maybe subscribers to ASTV.

this is what I think....PAD don't plan to form a new party. They just telling the Democrats that they will run into problems if they don't listen to the PAD.

But I might be wrong....

once they've done their prison time surely they are banned from public office?

prison for what?

I think it will be very hard to find some major wrong-doings of the leaders. And even if...such cases need 10 years in Thailand....Chamlong is than 83.