Work Permit And Visa Extention

I live and work already for 8 years in Thailand. I have a work permit and Non-Immigrant B Visa. Normally I went every year back to my country for holiday and for a new visa and that was never any problem at all.

One and half year ago a start a new company. I apply for work permit. I had to go first to the embassy in Kuala Lumpur. I show my papers and they gave the first time only three Months.

I went back and gave my accounted the papers and my passport. After a few weeks I received my new work permit.

After three Months I went out again to Kuala Lumpur and show the papers and work permit. They gave me a one year visa. Last week, my visa and work permit were almost expired and I had to go out again.

I showed my company papers again, passport and work permit. Now they gave me only three Months again, because my work permit expired next day.

I told them, YES, that's why I'm here to apply for a new visa so I can extend my work permit. NO, they said, you need first to show the work permit with the new extension. I said, I never had this problem and the dates from the work permit and visa should synchronized.

If I should get first the work permit with the new date and come a few days later to apply for a new visa, the dates are not synchronized. If get first the visa, then it is possible.

I could talk want I wanted, but no success. I went back and told it to my accounted. The labor office need first to see the visa before they can extend the work permit and the embassy told me, that they need first the work permit?

Who is right and who is wrong????????

The only thing what I know now after 8 years. When you want to do everything legal way, you get a knife in your back. When you do things illegal, you have less problems and safe a lot of money.

Disappointed long living resident of Thailand!

You should have applied for the new WP first. They would either have given it or give you a WP-3 receipt as proof that you would get your WP when you received a non-immigrant visa.

Last month for the first time I got my WP extension straight away, without having the extension from immigration.

Last month for the first time I got my WP extension straight away, without having the extension from immigration.

I have a multiple entry 1 year expired Non-B visa and just got 60 days extension on based on marriage to Thai.

I have a new job. Next week I will submit all paperwork for my work permit at the Samut Prakan Labor Office (my employer is at Samut Prakan and I have 1 year work contract). Can I get a 1 year work permit right away instead of 2 months until my current extension of stay is valid?

Once I get my work permit, I go back to Immigration and request the 1 year extension based on marriage to a Thai. My salary is over 60K baht/month so I don't plan to deposit 400,000baht in the bank.

I hope that my work permit won't be valid only until my current 60 days extension. Because at Immigration I will get 30 days consideration stamp until they check my marriage (first extension based on marriage) before I get my remaining 11 months.

I don't want to get a work permit with 2 months validity, then go back for 30 days extension and then go back again before I get my 11 months extension.

I did not hire lawyer for the work permit because I have ALL required paperwork and so is my company. My company is huge, exporter, pay a lot of taxes and have over 1,200 employees and only 1 foreigner, beside me. They meet all financial requirement for immigration and the labor department but I have to pay own costs associated with my work permit and with my visa.

Recent postings from memebrs suggest that the WP and permission to stay no longer have to be in sync. You can now even get a WP for 2 years if you have a contract for 2 years or longer.

So I believe they will give you the WP for 1 yea, although you might never now. Especially with new policies. At worst they will give you a WP-3 receipt. This signals immigration that you will get a WP once you have your permission to stay from immigration. You shpuld apply for the extension straight after you have the WP sorted out. Don't wait untill the last day of your 60 days.

Not sure if you can get the extension of stay based on marriage, as you will need to show tax-payments if it is from within Thailand, but you would anyway qualify for an extension based on employment.

Recent postings from memebrs suggest that the WP and permission to stay no longer have to be in sync. You can now even get a WP for 2 years if you have a contract for 2 years or longer.

So I believe they will give you the WP for 1 yea, although you might never now. Especially with new policies. At worst they will give you a WP-3 receipt. This signals immigration that you will get a WP once you have your permission to stay from immigration. You shpuld apply for the extension straight after you have the WP sorted out. Don't wait untill the last day of your 60 days.

Not sure if you can get the extension of stay based on marriage, as you will need to show tax-payments if it is from within Thailand, but you would anyway qualify for an extension based on employment.

I have my extension until May 10. Supposedly it takes only 2 weeks to get a new work permit at the Samut Prakan office. I had work permit last year and worked 9 months until September 30. I have paid taxes last year and have the Revenue Department certificate. When I got the 60 day extension based on marriage, the Suan Phu immigration Officer told me that after I have the work permit and work one month and show taxes paid on, that I can get the 1 year extension based on marriage. I get paid every 2 weeks by the way, so after 2 weeks I can show some tax payment already for this year.

When can you start working officially? The day you submit your work permit request or when you receive and sign the work permit. I read conflicting reports on that.

I have 4 months probationary period so the extension based on employment is crap because you have to leave the next day you lose your job. I would not give that much leverage to any employer over me. I would prefer go out of Thailand and get a new non-o instead of getting the extension based on work.

Is the 1 year work permit fee still 3,000baht? I have read before that some new law proposition will make the 2 year work permit cost 20,000baht.

I have my extension until May 10. Supposedly it takes only 2 weeks to get a new work permit at the Samut Prakan office. I had work permit last year and worked 9 months until September 30. I have paid taxes last year and have the Revenue Department certificate. When I got the 60 day extension based on marriage, the Suan Phu immigration Officer told me that after I have the work permit and work one month and show taxes paid on, that I can get the 1 year extension based on marriage. I get paid every 2 weeks by the way, so after 2 weeks I can show some tax payment already for this year.

When can you start working officially? The day you submit your work permit request or when you receive and sign the work permit. I read conflicting reports on that.

I have 4 months probationary period so the extension based on employment is crap because you have to leave the next day you lose your job. I would not give that much leverage to any employer over me. I would prefer go out of Thailand and get a new non-o instead of getting the extension based on work.

Is the 1 year work permit fee still 3,000baht? I have read before that some new law proposition will make the 2 year work permit cost 20,000baht.

You can start working when you have the WP. In some cases of necessity, like machienes needing urgent repairs, it is possible to work without the WP but still have to notify labour.

The WP is still 3,100 baht per year.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

WP and permission to stay, seems has to be in sync, at least in my case

I had a multiple NON-B. Once that expired, I extended it with 60 days visiting Thai wife until 10 May.

I applied for new work permit on 25 March. I have 1 year contract with my Thai employer and applied for 1 year work permit. Received new work permit on 29 April. NEW WORK permit is valid until 10 May, same day as my permission to stay. 750 baht for 2 weeks work permit!!!

NEXT: Suan Phu with wife on 4 May, request extension of stay based on marriage and working in Thailand.(1900baht) Get 30 days consideration stamp. I have tax receipts and tax filing for last year (actually I got some tax money back for last year because I have worked only the first 10 months). Since November 2008 I did not work.

Go back to the Labor Department on 6-7 May to extend the work permit. Will I get only 30 days work permit extension for 750baht until my 30 day consideration expire? I know 1, 5, 8 May are Holidays.

After a month I will go back to Immigration to get hopefully another 11 months extension of stay. If they deny my extension based on marriage because I don't have the last 90 days tax receipts, I know, I can apply for extension based on work. Then go back to the Labour office again to extend the work permit.

These 30 days extensions under consideration and the syncing of work permit to extension of stay is really non sense. My company will give me the same supporting papers for extending the work permit, they gave me a month ago when I applied for the new work permit. I can not extend my permission of stay based on work unless I have the work permit. Then the work permit validity is same, as my extension of stay. Catch 22.

I have over 400,000baht in my account, but in a bank outside of Thailand. I got married in February 2009 so to transfer the money for 60-90 days before I apply for extension is not really an option (BTW. I get 5+% interest on my Euro/USD accounts, so I really don't feel like to pay for bank transfer fees, exchange currency and get 0.25% interest from a Thai bank).

Just a note: I did all marriage, immigration and work permit running on my own as I got tired to be fleeced for these fees for accountants, lawyers and couriers. Now I only pay the government fees. My company won't pay for visa and work permit fees.

One more note, even though these WP 3, 5, 7 forms, shareholder forms, education certification forms are both in English and Thai, the Labor office returned my forms filled in English and asked my company/wife to fill ALL in Thai and then I can sign my own application at the end.

If you are working now and have a recent tax payment a (PNR 1) then I don't think you will have a problem. Be sure you take your annual tax return form with you also. Take your employment contract too. The more you have to show the better.

If they turn you down for the extension because you have not been working long enough I would make a visa run to Vientiane and get a single entry non-o. That would give you more time working and paying taxes. They normally want to see three months of tax payments.

A lot depends upon the labor office you go to as to how long they give you. They are like immigration offices in that respect.

Once you get your permit to stay they should give you a work permit for a year or possibly 2.

The best way to avoid problems with the 30 day wait period is to get your application in 30 days before it runs out or if your immigration office will let you do it even earlier.

Today took wife to Suan Phu for extension of stay application based on marriage and using work permit.

They have asked for PND.1 in last 3 months even though I got my work permit only last week and officially started to work on 1 May, 2009. Since I did not work yet, they have asked for the company PND.1 for the last 3 months for all employees. I had all months from November til March 2009. They have asked for April PND 1 too even the tax payment deadline is 7 May for companies for the previous month. My company have over 1,200 employees and because of the holidays they plan to submit all tax paperwork for April on 6 May.

Here is my dilemma: I can go back to Suan Phu on Thursday with wife and April company PND1 to try to get my 30 days under consideration stamp. If I get it, I have to race right after that to the Samut Prakarn Labor office to submit my passport with the new visa extension, to extend my work permit. What if a different immigration officer ask for my personal PND 1 for the last 3 months on Thursday instead of the company PND1, which shows the total for everyone? If Suan Phu don't give me the extension this week I have to leave on 10 May and try to get a non-O nearby KL or Vientiane but the earliest I can submit my work permit extension request is 13 May, when the work permit expired on 10 May.

My other choice is to race to Vientiane on Wednesday morning and get a non-o on Thursday. But by the next time the labor office is open, is on 11 May. My work permit expire on 10 May. Am I able to extend my work permit after expiration date? Will they extend it on a non-O visa? I have all other paper work from my company for the work permit extension.

The immigration officer kept asking why I come so late for extension when last week and this week we have all holidays.

They did not comprehend that I waited on my company and work permit from end of February till 30 April. My wife used to call the Labour office daily the last few weeks. Today was the first day, Immigration was open after I received my work permit.

I called their hotline today and was told that Supreme order is to get ALL required documents for extensions, no exceptions. If they ask last 3 months tax returns and you go on 1st of May, they want April tax returns regardless that companies have 1 week or more to submit April tax payments. No common sense. Thai government offices really don't care to coordinate their deadlines and ask for papers after their due date. Immigration will verify all submitted company documents because they know that in the past some people submitted photoshopped, bogus company papers to get visa extensions.

I would like to get my first extension based on marriage so I can apply for PR in 3 years. I know that for next year I either have the job for 3 months before applying for extension or have 400K in the bank for 3 months.

Edited by sinnus99

All you can do is go back on Thursday. Suan Phu seem to be pretty consistant on their requirements. Also it should not be that hard to find the same officer if you get one that wants something different.

The consulate in Vientiane will be closed on Friday also. So you would have to put your application in on Wednesday to get it back this week.

If you don't get your extension on Thursday they would give you a 7 day extension so that you would have more time to get things sorted out.

All you can do is go back on Thursday. Suan Phu seem to be pretty consistant on their requirements. Also it should not be that hard to find the same officer if you get one that wants something different.

The consulate in Vientiane will be closed on Friday also. So you would have to put your application in on Wednesday to get it back this week.

If you don't get your extension on Thursday they would give you a 7 day extension so that you would have more time to get things sorted out.

I have asked for the 7 day extension today. They said I can only apply for 7 days extension if my job ends. Now the 2 months visiting wife extension ends on 10 of May.

The officer suggested overstay and pay the 500baht fine for everyday if I need few extra days.

The hotline confirmed too that I can overstay (pay 500 baht daily) and apply for extension few days later. But if someone would want to change visa they can not do if there is an overstay and the person need to apply 21 days before the expiry date.

I will take April company tax papers back on Wednesday afternoon after lunch. Will try same officer if they give me hard time or ask for supervisor. Thursday go to extend work permit if I succeed Wednesday.

If no visa extension this week, Sunday night will head to KL or Vientiane for single non-o. Get it Tuesday next week and take work permit for extension 3 days late.

Thanks Ubonjoe for your advice.

Edited by sinnus99

My other choice is to race to Vientiane on Wednesday morning and get a non-o on Thursday. But by the next time the labor office is open, is on 11 May. My work permit expire on 10 May. Am I able to extend my work permit after expiration date? Will they extend it on a non-O visa? I have all other paper work from my company for the work permit extension.

This is not realy an option in my opinion. If you turn up at the labor office after your WP expired, they will cancel your WP and you'll have to start from scratch again. This happened to me several years ago.

So, goodluck on Wednesday and keep us posted.

Update:

Visited Suan Phu on Wednesday afternoon with wife again. AT 1pm there were 86 people before us for non-business extension. 17:15 was our turn. My company gave me the last 3 months corporation PND.1 including April. This time they wanted to see my personal corporation PND 1 for the last 3 months. It took them a while to understand that I have started to work on May 1, 2009 and did not work the last 3 months before. Finally meet the supervisor in charge who explained that I can only get an extension if I PREPAY my MAY 2009 tax and bring the Revenue office receipt. I was angry because the other officer on Monday did not mention this. That one only wanted to get the corporate PND 1 for 3 months including April. We have waited 2 different days total of 6 hrs and still not getting any extension.

We were told that next time we don't have to get in line and they did our interview in 10 minutes and we left 17:45.

Thursday I went to the Revenue office. The Revenue office called Immigration while I was there because only corporation can pay PND 1, a private individual can pay only PND93. The immigration supervisor told us only PND 1 is acceptable. Since it was 11:15am and time was running out. I went to Suan Phu and got the 7 days extension until May 17 for 1900baht. Then I went to the Samut Prakan Labour office and submitted my extension request for 1 year on my 7 day extension of stay. I have paid the 100 baht application fee and next Thursday I can pick up my 1 year work permit for 3000baht. The Labour office is closed on Friday and next week Monday.

On Tuesday, next week my company will prepay my May tax (PND 1) and get the receipt. With that I can go back to Suan Phu and submit all paper work without getting in line to get the 30 days consideration stamp.

In Conclusion:

1.) When you get a new work permit the first validity date will be same as your permission of stay stamp. The second time when you extend it, you can get 1 year validity regardless of how long your permission of stay is valid.(I will get 1 year work permit on 7 days permission of stay)

2.) When you have a new job and don't want to use the 400,000baht in bank option, you have to have between 1-3 months PND 1 tax payment. The company always should have the last 3 months PND 1 regardless if you worked there the last 3 months or not. If you have worked there 1-2 months is OK to submit your personal corporate PND 1. If you started like me your company have to prepay minimum 1 month tax for you on PND 1 and get receipt from the revenue department. The minimum income for the month have to be over 40,000baht and pay tax on that about 1500baht.

Another document they have asked was my Embassy certification copy and translation to Thai that I was single before I got married. I did not see others mentioning this document is needed.

1 more thing: instead of your employment contract copy you should have a company letter saying on company letterhead your name, job title and monthly salary.

The rest are the usual documents:

Last year tax receipt, photos together, copy of work permit, copy of passport and visa, map to house, company letter saying your job title, name and salary, marriage certificate, copy of wife ID, copy of wife tabien book, PND 1 personal corporate tax for last 3 months.

The embassy letter about your ability to marry is only listed for a change of visa status to get an extension based upon marriage. I have not read any reports ot it being asked for though.

The tax thing is a problem because you only have been working a short amount of time in your new job. For your next one it will be easier.

I can confirm that the WP and permission to stay no longer have to be in sync. I have a small company in Phuket and for me in the past they always used to be (3 month WP's) but starting this year i was issued a 2 year WP. I went last week to KL to get a new 1 year visa, everything went smoothly.

Thanks for the post.

Your update on KL is a big help. I have quoted it in two topics where an update was needed.

And info on work permits alos is helpfull becaue we don't get that many reports about them.

When you want to do everything legal way, you get ...... When you do things illegal, you have less problems and safe a lot of money.

Seems that the Thai "system" would prefer illegal. I don't know why they don't just say: Look we want money - give us this amount and we will stop making you jump through these illogical/inconsistent/ and time consuming hoops.

Keoki

I can confirm that the WP and permission to stay no longer have to be in sync. I have a small company in Phuket and for me in the past they always used to be (3 month WP's) but starting this year i was issued a 2 year WP. I went last week to KL to get a new 1 year visa, everything went smoothly.

Hey Ztoo.

Is the 2 year WP contingent upon employing a certain number of Thai people? I hear small business have a really difficult time if they do not have many/any Thai employees. And Thailand does not recognize "self employed." ???????

CHEERS,

K

A work permit is always contingent upon employment of a certain number of Thai nationals. A 2 year WP seems to be depending on how long your labour contract is. it has to be for 2 years or longer before you can get a 2 year Work permit. A lot of people only have a yearly contract and do not qualify.

The saga continues.

Today I went back to SUan Phu with my company prepaid tax for May PND1.

Today I got a form to fill (Petition of reconsideration for application!!) and they have asked that my company write another letter asking for extension based on my marriage!!!

I have looked my last week 7 days extension stamp and I think the immigration officer and the supervisor made a mistake and now they are trying to cover their ass with this new form and letter.

I have requested 7 days extension for 1900 baht because on Friday my company did not have time to pre-pay my May taxes.

This is what the stamp says:

"Application of extension of stay is not approved 17 May 2009

Applicant must leave the Kingdom not later than 17 May 2009."

I got the 7 days extension from 10 May to 17 May.

I did not submit all paperwork last week because always 1-2 paper was missing. My extension of stay request was never submitted or denied!!

Tomorrow I bring back the form and the letter from my company. Does anybody have an idea whom I can see?? The officer at desk 18 and her supervisor telling me different story every day. I go back tomorrow for 5th time in 2 weeks.

You are right, if you do the legal way you get all kind of problems. If you do the illegal way no headaches.

BTW. My work permit extension will be done on 25 May. (2 weeks processing time!!! to get the 1 year validity). Maybe I will have 1 year work permit but no visa!!

Edited by sinnus99

With the petition you might not have to pay for another extension. They might just be trying to help you.

I have never heard of a letter from your employer before. I guess it's because you are working and could put in for an employment extension.

Just go back and try again.

This is the correct procedure, My first year was the same here I had to renew the visa and extend the work permit as I only had 8 months left on my visa after being hired. But you should only have one gap like that in the beginning unless you don't renew your visa at immigration which seems to be your case.

This is the correct procedure, My first year was the same here I had to renew the visa and extend the work permit as I only had 8 months left on my visa after being hired. But you should only have one gap like that in the beginning unless you don't renew your visa at immigration which seems to be your case.

It is not a visa it is an extension of stay. You don't renew it you gat a new extension.

This is first extension for the OP.

Went back to Suan Phu 6th time today. This time I had all paperwork and they did not ask for more. First I got a stamp all in Thai that I filed a petition to reconsider my extension of stay application.

For 1900 baht I got "7 work days" extension.(From May 17-May 26) Now my stamp says thay my "application for extension of stay is under consideration of the police dept. Applicant must contact the temporary permit section person on 26 May. Thai wife.

I supposed to get my 1 year work permit back from Labor Department on 25 May.

Hopefully on 26 May I get my 1 year extension of stay approved.

My next issue is that only 1 full page left in my passport. I got so many stamps the last 2 months that the Thai Immigration used up like 3 pages. My embassy won't add pages like the US. I have to apply for a new passport, which is about 2-3 months until I receive the new one. Since I got married to a Thai earlier this year, I have to register my marriage abroad when I apply for a new passport. Translate marriage certificate from Thai to English, then certify with the Foreign Ministry, then back to the Embassy.

My Embassy mentioned that from next month they only issue passport containing fingerprint to meet EU criteria. The Embassy won't have the fingerprinting machine for several months to come and they issue a 1 year passport in the meantime.

Once I have the new passport I have to transfer the extension of stay stamp right?

I'm dual citizen. I have US passport too. Would it be possible to transfer extension of stay stamp from my European passport to the US passport? I doubt, but I ask anyway. Thanks.

Believe you would have to start over - with a visa entry on the US passport - for them to place extension of stay in it. You should transfer to your new passport when received - your Embassy should provide a letter asking for it to be transferred.

• 2 weeks later...

"Now my stamp says thay my application for extension of stay is under consideration of the police dept. Applicant must contact the temporary permit section person on 26 May. Thai wife.I supposed to get my 1 year work permit back from Labor Department on 25 May. Hopefully on 26 May I get my 1 year extension of stay approved."

I got 1 year extension on my work permit on Friday. My wife called our Suan Phu immigration officer on Friday and she said I can get my 1 year extension of stay stamp based on marriage on Monday.<br />Today I went there and my case is still under review. I was told to go back Wed/Thu or Friday this week. I showed the officer that my last under consideration stamp expire on 26 May (tomorrow) and I don't want to have overstay. She said no problem I can go back after 26 of May because my work permit is valid until 10 May 2010!!! Did anyone get their extension after the consideration stamp expired? If they are not done with the review on your last day, why aren't thet just extend my under consideration stamp? What happens if I get stopped by police on 27 May? I drive and on Sathorn Road towards Suan Phu, they have pulled me over few times.

Edited by sinnus99