Newspaper Announcements About Former Employees

keestha

For some time it has puzzled me to (often) see announcements about former employees in the newspaper.

On top a picture of the person is shown, and under that a text which will run like:

XXX (Thailand) Ltd announces that with effect of 28th February 2009, Mr AAA BBB, a former (function), is no longer an employee. Mr AAA, therefore, has no right or authority to act on behalf of the company, or take any action involving the business of the company. The company will thus take no responsability for any activities that Mr AAA has engaged in on behalf of the company.

Does this mean the person in question has committed fraud, pretending to still represent the company, after having been fired or after having quit? Or is this just done to prevent this from happening?

I certainly wouldn't like to see a picture of my not so handsome anymore face in the newspaper, accompanied by a text like that.

For some time it has puzzled me to (often) see announcements about former employees in the newspaper.

On top a picture of the person is shown, and under that a text which will run like:

XXX (Thailand) Ltd announces that with effect of 28th February 2009, Mr AAA BBB, a former (function), is no longer an employee. Mr AAA, therefore, has no right or authority to act on behalf of the company, or take any action involving the business of the company. The company will thus take no responsability for any activities that Mr AAA has engaged in on behalf of the company.

Does this mean the person in question has committed fraud, pretending to still represent the company, after having been fired or after having quit? Or is this just done to prevent this from happening?

I certainly wouldn't like to see a picture of my not so handsome anymore face in the newspaper, accompanied by a text like that.

Probably this person hasnt given his boss the appropriate cut in tea money earnt and this action will prevent him collecting further tea money on behalf of the company

:o

I really don't like this kind of announcement...(but I read often..haha..can't help)

Seem like it is so wrong resigning from the company, then been added in the newspapers.

or announced for been missing naively, or being a criminal.. :o

Any other countries got this kind of announcement? I really wish I would not have my own gum face onto any.

Its an old practise - its precautionary and done primarily to protect former employers from 3rd party claims that so-&-so was undertsood to be acting on their behalf, or that they thought he was still representing the old employer - just as the wording goes on to say.

Common with both dismissals and resignations - and its read "neautraly" - people don't read anything into one way or the other (unless of course they have been the victim of some misrepresentation).

There's one in today's Bangkok Post on Sunday (or whatever it's called). A woman (ex-director of a company) was pictured with all the usual "not allowed to represent the company.... the company will not be held liable for any...".