Mae Sai Visa Run - Current Info

qwunk89

did some research, but a lot of info was at least a year old . . .

is this still the best way to to go? (Arcade Bus Station and take the 8AM Greenbus to Mae Sai. 1st class is 212 :o

do you need to have 20,000 baht with you to possible show if asked?

still no problems going on a Sunday?

any other current info welcome!

Thanks.

did some research, but a lot of info was at least a year old . . .

is this still the best way to to go? (Arcade Bus Station and take the 8AM Greenbus to Mae Sai. 1st class is 212 :o

do you need to have 20,000 baht with you to possible show if asked?

still no problems going on a Sunday?

any other current info welcome!

Thanks.

Yes, bus from Arcad Bus Station is the cheapest way.

What type of your visa? If you have tourist visa (single) you will get 15 days stamp back from Mae Sai border, but if you have 90 non-im visa you will get 90 days. Prepare 10 US $ pay to Burmese immigration and no need to show 20,000 baht.

Spend a few more Baht and get the VIP 24 seat bus! It is less than 100 Baht more as I recall and much more comfortable. Either way, buy your tickets at least 48 hours in advance! Twice I waited until the last minute (24 hours before) and all seats were sold out on VIP and 1st Class.

Immigration has the right to ask to see your 20,000 Baht - the sign is posted. Have the money with you. Better safe than sorry.

I've been across the Mae Sai border into Myanmar close to 30 times now, and although they do post a sign about 20,000 Baht, I have never been asked to show it to the people at the window. Personally I hate the policy as it makes us all big targets for robbery knowing that we have at least 20,000 baht cash on us when we cross. I actually don't carry that much money, but bring my Thai Bank book (and some traveler's checks) with me showing plenty of money just in case they ask.

One big thing to remember, when you go into Myanmar to get your stamp, they ask you to either give them 500 Baht or a U.S. 10 Dollar Bill. Seeing the exchange rate is 35-36 Baht to the Dollar, getting a $10 bill at a local bank before your crossing can save you a bit of money.

Green Bus is usually the way to go, but recently got rid of the VIP only buses and replaced them with Half and Half buses (at least this was the case the last time I went up using Green Bus). The first 5 or 6 rows are VIP (left side single seat, right side 2 seats) and the Back Part is Air Con (2 smaller seats on each side). If you are big guy, VIP is the way to go, if not, sitting in the back is not too bad of an option and is cheaper and you get there the same time (no extra stops).

If you are a DVD fan, they have great DVD's at about 35 Baht each for Movies, and 20-25 per disk for Box Set TV Shows. These DVD's blow the ones Thailand offers out of the water. There are also great brand named clothing for you wife/girlfriends at cheaper prices.

If you are going back the same day, you usually have about 2-1/2 to 3 hours to shop and get a bite to eat before you make the trek back to Chiang Mai.