? - How Do They Do It

Most of the gas stations on Samui have very similar prices. Two, however, are about 50% higher than the rest. These are located in Ban Tai and Ban Lipa Noi on the ring road. The stations have Esso in smallish letters on the roof, but one has scratched it out. The one in Lipa Noi has a giant sign that consists entirely of a question mark. The question I have, is what kind of business model do they have and who would buy fuel there? Before last years wild price spike I never thought about prices and I don't remember them as being higher (used to live in Ban Tai). Maybe I just never noticed and their market is people who don't know or don't care? A couple of other possibilities come to my mind, but I would be interested to hear what you think.

50 % higher??? :o:D !!!

Are you serious? Are you saying they charge 30 baht for a litre of diesel?

It sounds to crazy to be true. I noticed that diesel is usually close to a baht cheaper in nathon than chaweng/bophut. And on the mainland even a bit cheaper. But to be that much more epensive in a location like lipa noi sounds very strange. Maybe its the usual thailogic "the less we sell, the more we need to charge to make the same profit"? :D .

there's a question mark gas station also after maenam on the left side if you go to nathon, it's 30% more expensive than PTT for any product.

only those who don't want to buy a bottle of gasoline go there.

The gas stations in Ban Tai and Ban Saket (after Lipa Noi coming from Nathon) apparently belong together. They charge consistently around 6-8 B/l more. Not only that, they are also famous for cheating, e.g. you buy gas for 500 Baht, but they somehow start at count 200 or 300 B. One would think that one scam is enough.

The gas stations in Ban Tai and Ban Saket (after Lipa Noi coming from Nathon) apparently belong together. They charge consistently around 6-8 B/l more. Not only that, they are also famous for cheating, e.g. you buy gas for 500 Baht, but they somehow start at count 200 or 300 B. One would think that one scam is enough.

I got that one time only in Thailand. In koh pagnan. But in all fairness, it was in one of these little shops and it was after closing hours. At the time he could have charged me whatever, because i came with a rental jeep and had no fuel "in the middle of nowhere" so to speak. I accepted his unresonable price of fuel, however, i did not accept that he claimed to put 10 litres in the jeep when the fact was he put 2 tops. Big argument, i lost, he won. (Since i paid anyway). Anyway, in a desert place like lipa noi off course this would excist aswell. Glad you warned us. I wont fill up my tank there. :o .

Thx

I have seen the ESSO filling station on the southern part of the ring road, the one I've seen has genuine ESSO signs, and large, and yes they are the most expensive pumped prices on the island.

Why anyone buys bottled petrol I don't know, at 40 baht a bottle, it works out at about 60 baht a litre!!!! :D:D:o

Most of the gas stations on Samui have very similar prices. Two, however, are about 50% higher than the rest. These are located in Ban Tai and Ban Lipa Noi on the ring road. The stations have Esso in smallish letters on the roof, but one has scratched it out. The one in Lipa Noi has a giant sign that consists entirely of a question mark. The question I have, is what kind of business model do they have and who would buy fuel there? Before last years wild price spike I never thought about prices and I don't remember them as being higher (used to live in Ban Tai). Maybe I just never noticed and their market is people who don't know or don't care? A couple of other possibilities come to my mind, but I would be interested to hear what you think.

actual rates of gasoline 91 (10.03.2009)

29.05 THB at PTT

37.90 THB at Esso (????) :o

so just a little overcharge of 8.85THB / 30.4% per liter.....

maybe thats the gas station only for the rich ones on samui (like Beckham)

Chayaphum

actual rates of gasoline 91 (10.03.2009)

29.05 THB at PTT

37.90 THB at Esso (????) :o

so just a little overcharge of 8.85THB / 30.4% per liter.....

maybe thats the gas station only for the rich ones on samui (like Beckham)

Chayaphum

It's not normal fuel. It's 125 octane racing fuel for minivans .

actual rates of gasoline 91 (10.03.2009) 29.05 THB at PTT 37.90 THB at Esso (????) :D so just a little overcharge of 8.85THB / 30.4% per liter..... maybe thats the gas station only for the rich ones on samui (like Beckham) Chayaphum
It's not normal fuel. It's 125 octane racing fuel for minivans .

are you sure "Rooo" ? really 125 octane, thats great news!

Maybe i can use this with my bike also :D

More octane = more power, dschai mai?

I will try on my next visarun.....maybe i will arrive back 1day earlier compared to the gasohol 95octane :o:D:D

Chayaphum

Edited by Chayaphum

are you sure "Rooo" ? really 125 octane, thats great news!

Maybe i can use this with my bike also :D

More octane = more power, dschai mai?

I will try on my next visarun.....maybe i will arrive back 1day earlier compared to the gasohol 95octane :o:D:D

Chayaphum

octane number does indicate how resistant is the fuel to explode, basically less compression level in your cylinders, less octane is needed, the more compression you have, the higher the octane.

if in a high compressed cylinder you put 91 octane, the fuel will explode before it's supposed to and will damage the piston and other parts.