Advice For Someone Trying To Get A Uk Bank Account For Thai Wife

If you are experiencing problems getting your new Thai wife a bank account in the UK try this as we did , go to HSBC with her passport and your UK marriage cert. with your required ID and they will welcome you with open arms for a joint account. Your wife will be given her own debit card and more importantly you will get that gilt edged piece of paper through your letterbox every month with her name on it alongside yours .. ( part of next LTR req ) after a short period of time she will be allowed her own account if she wants .

I argued with Nationwide for 4 months to get my wife on my account that I have had with them for over 6 years ( allways in good credit in current acc, and a good 6 figure sum on savings deposit ) just to be told ,sorry sir as your wife is not a UK citizen we cannot credit check her . I have to say this was the Colchester branch , so mabe others have had a better experience elsewhere, I have to say it gave me the greatest pleasure to go into the branch at its busiest on a Sat lunchtime and cut their cards up in front of all and sundry and tell all around why I was doing this and going to a far more user friendly HSBC.

Also point of infor for Nationwide customers ,,,,,,, the free withdrawls from the ATM,S have stopped now outside Europe

Also point of infor for Nationwide customers ,,,,,,, the free withdrawls from the ATM,S have stopped now outside Europe

Not entirely old boy. Depends on what card you are using.

On the rest however.. Thanks for the information.

If you are referring to MasterCard, then Nationwide plan to charge as well, it was on that 'cash for questions website'

"Both fees will increase to 1% in July 09, just in time for the holiday season. Nationwide says it also intends to impose charges on FlexAccount cards operated via the MasterCard network soon."

Edited by phutoie2

I helped 2 Thai students open bank accounts by just going in with them and acting as a reference for them, no problem. This was a couple of years ago though.

As for Nationwide flex account, I withdraw every day here and it is still free.

I helped 2 Thai students open bank accounts by just going in with them and acting as a reference for them, no problem. This was a couple of years ago though.

As for Nationwide flex account, I withdraw every day here and it is still free.

Mabe I should have got you to be reference for my missus !

Well thats good news as were going to the Dominican in a couple of weeks time ,,,,,thanks for the info mabe they had a change of heart.

If you are referring to MasterCard, then Nationwide plan to charge as well, it was on that 'cash for questions website'

"Both fees will increase to 1% in July 09, just in time for the holiday season. Nationwide says it also intends to impose charges on FlexAccount cards operated via the MasterCard network soon."

The credit and debit cards are charged but the Cash Card ( Mastercard-Cirrus) appears to be exempt for the time being. However it is already a slightly lesser exchange rate so may already have the charge built into the costs already.

Ive just checked online for what ive been charged in Thailand over the last 18 months,[the site dosenst go back further than that] it was a whopping 00.06 p, thats with a NW visa debit card, yes, cut up the card and go to HSBC, who now need a 12.5 billion bailout from the uk goverment, no wonder they welcomed new buisness,

I can picture the OP cutting up his NW card in a HSBC bank, oh dear, never mind, WAT..