Thai Supplies In The Uk

Mekk

Hi All

First off, not quite sure if this is the correct place for this, if not I apologise please go ahead and move it to a better place.

We have just got back to the UK to discover that Thai4UK is no longer running :-(

This was a life saver for the months over here away from Thailand, can anybody suggest alternatives to tide us over until we come back to the Land of Smiles?

Thanks

-M

Mekk, you don't say where you are in the UK, I hope the following info is useful:

Taste of Siam is a small supermarket (with a similarly named and reasonably good restaurant next door) at 47 Camden High Street, London NW1 7JH, Tel: 020 7383 5002.

A bigger place is Tawana Thai Supermarket at 16-18 Chepstow Road, London W2 5BD, Tel: 020 7221 6316. Website: tawana.co.uk.

Then there is the much larger Wing Yip, they mainly stock Chinese foods, but have a fair selection of Thai things including basics like fresh galangal, lemongrass and chillis but more importantly perhaps, essentials like Singha Beer! You can order online at wingyipstore.co.uk and there are stores in London, Croydon, Birmingham and Manchester; details at wingyip.com.

Mekk, you don't say where you are in the UK

Sorry, South Devon, so pretty much totally relying on internet/deliveries.

I hope the following info is useful:

Taste of Siam is a small supermarket (with a similarly named and reasonably good restaurant next door) at 47 Camden High Street, London NW1 7JH, Tel: 020 7383 5002.

A bigger place is Tawana Thai Supermarket at 16-18 Chepstow Road, London W2 5BD, Tel: 020 7221 6316. Website: tawana.co.uk.

Then there is the much larger Wing Yip, they mainly stock Chinese foods, but have a fair selection of Thai things including basics like fresh galangal, lemongrass and chillis but more importantly perhaps, essentials like Singha Beer! You can order online at wingyipstore.co.uk and there are stores in London, Croydon, Birmingham and Manchester; details at wingyip.com.

Thanks I'll check those sites out tomorrow.

-M

Hi

Apart from dried (or better still fresh) kaffir lime leaves, and lipovitan-d (any suggestions on these?) wingyip.com looks just the ticket. Thanks.

~M

Hi All

First off, not quite sure if this is the correct place for this, if not I apologise please go ahead and move it to a better place.

We have just got back to the UK to discover that Thai4UK is no longer running :-(

This was a life saver for the months over here away from Thailand, can anybody suggest alternatives to tide us over until we come back to the Land of Smiles?

Thanks

-M

Take a look at http://www.raanthai.co.uk/?gclid=CLLgkLjEmpkCFQMFZgodrDy4CQ

we started to use this company after Thai4UK closed...all good :o

the wife and i will be visiting Leeds in a few months (yep, i know, lucky me!). i'm afraid she'll shrivel up and die without her mama, khao neow and pbalaa. does anyone know of a thai food supermarket in the Leeds area?

actually i just checked the above link and it looks good. a pack of mama is 29p which works out at about 14 baht. mama is about 6 baht here i think so not too bad really.

Edited by stevehaigh

• 8 months later...
Hi All

Thanks

-M

Take a look at http://www.raanthai.co.uk/?gclid=CLLgkLjEmpkCFQMFZgodrDy4CQ

we started to use this company after Thai4UK closed...all good :)

We also use raanthai and found them to be very good on both service and price.

I use this place as i travel passed it quite a bit which is in Bristol and there have a online shop as well

http://www.waiyeehong.com/

Eastgate Oriental City,

Eastgate Road,

Eastville,

Bristol, BS5 6XX

I see they have lots of stuff but the one first thing that I looked for ie Black Soy Sauce as in the type to make Pad Krapow doesn't seem to be available. They do supply it at the place I posted although they are out of stock. I see the 'Ran' place has a minimum order amount of £30 which I usually too much for me.