Just A Suggestion - A Wish

webfact

Well, being on this board for many years I have read a lot of posts from people seeking advise or specific help for trouble they face

either with hardware or software, including myself and I was always thankful for advise from this board.

Some issues are rather hard to debug and to solve, some are not. A lot of advise or proposals are given how to solve certain issues.

I have a wish for the benefit of future assistance and help. Would it be possible to post if an issue was solved and what actually has solved it?

Yes I know sometimes it is not possible or posters simply forget about. I do include myself!

What I wrote is just an idea, a proposal but it will be beneficial to everyone who is seeking advise or help - to know the solution that helped.

Thanks

This suggestion applies equally to other threads where advice is sought and given, as the same issues keep coming up over and over again.

We actually had a debate on this not long ago, and the mods seemed to think it would be impossible to pin all the subjects that would be required to make this sort of thing possible

However, a big step in the right direction would be for some teckie to completely re-design the search facility and make it much more user friendly and efficient.

Unfortunately this compalint always fall on 'deaf ears" as they are too busy trying to figure out how to cram even more sponsor ads on each page :o

Just a thought - maybe they don't want it to be made more efficient, as that would reduce the number of posts, and consequently ads, and "hits".

Edited by Mobi

Guest Reimar
This suggestion applies equally to other threads where advice is sought and given, as the same issues keep coming up over and over again.

We actually had a debate on this not long ago, and the mods seemed to think it would be impossible to pin all the subjects that would be required to make this sort of thing possible

However, a big step in the right direction would be for some teckie to completely re-design the search facility and make it much more user friendly and efficient.

Unfortunately this compalint always fall on 'deaf ears" as they are too busy trying to figure out how to cram even more sponsor ads on each page :o

Just a thought - maybe they don't want it to be made more efficient, as that would reduce the number of posts, and consequently ads, and "hits".

Mobi:

You pointing to the wrong direction!

If you like to improve the Board Software, you will need to consult with the Developer of this Board Software and didn't argue with the Management and the Moderator's of this Forum!

In case you have any suggestion which falls under the responsibility of this forum: Owner, Management, Moderators pp., please feel free to contact [email protected] with that YOUR suggestion in an civilized manner.

Cheers.

you like to improve the Board Software, you will need to consult with the Developer of this Board Software and didn't argue with the Management and the Moderator's of this Forum!

With the greatest of respect, sir, would you kindly inform me how on earth I am supposed to make contact with the designers of this board software, of whom I have no knowledge. Thai Visa management clearly has a contract with whoever designs and manages your software, and it is to TV management that us, as members should address our complaints for due consideration, before forwarding, as appropriate, to the software company.

Even If I knew who the designers were, I would have absolutely no business contacting them directly, and they would no doubt tell me, quite rightly, to take a hike, as I am not the one who pays their bills.

And, BTW I am not the first, and certainly not the last member to complain about the search facility on Thai Visa, and the last time it was discussed on a thread in which George himself participated, there was no suggestion that anyone was out of order in discussing this matter.

So, with the utmost respect, Sir, living in fear and dread of getting suspended or banned sir, I will ever so humbly withdraw my complaint.

Guest Reimar
you like to improve the Board Software, you will need to consult with the Developer of this Board Software and didn't argue with the Management and the Moderator's of this Forum!

With the greatest of respect, sir, would you kindly inform me how on earth I am supposed to make contact with the designers of this board software, of whom I have no knowledge. Thai Visa management clearly has a contract with whoever designs and manages your software, and it is to TV management that us, as members should address our complaints for due consideration, before forwarding, as appropriate, to the software company.

Even If I knew who the designers were, I would have absolutely no business contacting them directly, and they would no doubt tell me, quite rightly, to take a hike, as I am not the one who pays their bills.

And, BTW I am not the first, and certainly not the last member to complain about the search facility on Thai Visa, and the last time it was discussed on a thread in which George himself participated, there was no suggestion that anyone was out of order in discussing this matter.

So, with the utmost respect, Sir, living in fear and dread of getting suspended or banned sir, I will ever so humbly withdraw my complaint.

All infos about Thaivisa, even which Board software is used, you can find under About in the lower part of any TV Screen.

I also was giving in my last post the advice for to contact [email protected] which could be done for any question also regarding the Board software or about any suggestion pp.

With you speeches in you your post :

Unfortunately this compalint always fall on 'deaf ears" as they are too busy trying to figure out how to cram even more sponsor ads on each page

you stepped a bit out of line, friendly told.

So, please if you have any suggestion please let Support know.

Cheers.

I always have found problems with the TV search facility and combined with poor to non existent download speed from my supplier i find it easier to post a new topic, risking the adverse comments from other members for doing so, instead of finding the information from the search facility.

I should'nt think it worthwhile to write to support as i would imagine, in this instance, that it has already been done numerous times

As a fairly new member i find the response to Mobi from the moderator somewhat fierce. Perhaps i miss something. Perhaps 'touchiness' is contagious!

Guest Reimar
I always have found problems with the TV search facility and combined with poor to non existent download speed from my supplier i find it easier to post a new topic, risking the adverse comments from other members for doing so, instead of finding the information from the search facility.

I should'nt think it worthwhile to write to support as i would imagine, in this instance, that it has already been done numerous times

As a fairly new member i find the response to Mobi from the moderator somewhat fierce. Perhaps i miss something. Perhaps 'touchiness' is contagious!

You really should keep in your mind that the Board software is developed NOT by Thaivisa or the Owner of it, it's developed by Invison which is to find out under the About Thaivisa!

And the accusation of the member that TV has "deaf ear's" and that TV didn't want to be more efficient is just anything but true!

The new Board software is under development and we all waiting for the release of it, but unfortunate we didn't have a time frame yet!

Cheers.

You really should keep in your mind that the Board software is developed NOT by Thaivisa or the Owner of it, it's developed by Invison which is to find out under the About Thaivisa!

And the accusation of the member that TV has "deaf ear's" and that TV didn't want to be more efficient is just anything but true!

The new Board software is under development and we all waiting for the release of it, but unfortunate we didn't have a time frame yet!

Cheers.

You didn't say whether the new software release will include an update on the "search" facility. If it does, then that answers our question and it is the first time I have heard this news.

The "deaf ears" comment may have been a little harsh, but the fact remains that many members have complained about this matter on numerous threads for a considerable period of time, and to my knowledge, no moderator has ever satisfactorily responded. So in the circumstances - not such a terrible comment.

As for my accusation regarding the obsession with advertising revenue - well again there was a thread, with George participating, that discussed the members' irritation and annoyance with so many ads on the forum, and you may recall that my advice to members on how to block the ads was deleted, which resulted in my PM inbox being flooded with requests on how to do this. So again, my comment, although a little harsh, was not IMO totally unwarranted, as I was expressiong the feelings of countless members, which at the end of the day, you depend upon to keep in business.

Anyway, enough of all this - let's get back to making Thai Visa a better forum - and an improved search facility, would be a good start.

Guest Reimar

Cheers.

You didn't say whether the new software release will include an update on the "search" facility. If it does, then that answers our question and it is the first time I have heard this news.

I don't know and even as long as I haven't been able to test, I wouldn't say anything!

The "deaf ears" comment may have been a little harsh, but the fact remains that many members have complained about this matter on numerous threads for a considerable period of time, and to my knowledge, no moderator has ever satisfactorily responded. So in the circumstances - not such a terrible comment.

As for my accusation regarding the obsession with advertising revenue - well again there was a thread, with George participating, that discussed the members' irritation and annoyance with so many ads on the forum, and you may recall that my advice to members on how to block the ads was deleted, which resulted in my PM inbox being flooded with requests on how to do this. So again, my comment, although a little harsh, was not IMO totally unwarranted, as I was expressiong the feelings of countless members, which at the end of the day, you depend upon to keep in business.

TV is an commercial site and not a site just for fun!! So, TV get's paid from it's advertisers and as such the Add's must running and TV could NOT allow for to publish how to block that Add's! This should be understandable for anybody?! You and all other members, include the Moderator's using this site for free but the site it self cost a lot of money for to run. The operating cost are very high and the hardware as well!

Anyway, enough of all this - let's get back to making Thai Visa a better forum - and an improved search facility, would be a good start.

Again, if someone has any suggestion for to improve the TV Forum, contact Support with your suggestion.

Cheers

Of course I understand that TV is a commercial business.

I also understand that it happens to be a very successful and profitable business. No harm in that, and good luck to George.

But sometimes he is in danger of "killing the goose that laid the golden egg".

I was not objecting to my advice on how to block ads being deleted - I fully understand the rationale for this - but was trying to point out the number of members who are totally frustrated with the increasing amount of ads on the forum. If their frustrations cannot be alleviated in some way then they will drift away to other forums in increasing numbers, and you will be left with an empty shell of Newbies and non-active members, and it wouldn't take long for your sponsors to realise what was happening.

But it's George's business, not mine so I'll leave it at that.

Truce my friend - I have said my piece. :o

Edited by Mobi

A single pinned FAQ that says 'read this first' or 'check this before posting,' or something like that in each forum that is indexed i.e. contains a list of links to topics that deal with very common issues would be the easiest solution. Many forums have such a system. It's not difficult.

A single pinned FAQ that says 'read this first' or 'check this before posting,' or something like that in each forum that is indexed i.e. contains a list of links to topics that deal with very common issues would be the easiest solution. Many forums have such a system. It's not difficult.

You mean like this > Computer/Networking FAQs and References :o

No, not really. I mean something that's actually indexed in such a way as to be of practical usage.

Yes, I made a similar suggestion in an earlier thread.

I think that well thought out FAQ's would solve many of these repetition problems and provide a really good service to members. The FAQs can be added to over a period of time, and with the number of potential "hits" ,the FAQ pages should be attractive to sponsors - a win win situation for everyone :D

No, not really. I mean something that's actually indexed in such a way as to be of practical usage.

Yes, I made a similar suggestion in an earlier thread.

I think that well thought out FAQ's would solve many of these repetition problems and provide a really good service to members. The FAQs can be added to over a period of time, and with the number of potential "hits" ,the FAQ pages should be attractive to sponsors - a win win situation for everyone :D

It would be most entertaining if members could freely add their contributions to the FAQ w/o fear of being censored or banned. :D

Edited by JSixpack